PDA

View Full Version : General

Reid
12-13-2008, 18:03
What is "general"? Is it what is general to the trail, or general to A.T. hikers? I would like to have a place where discussion takes place about things that hikers have in common, not just what we have in common about the trail. Im kinda stuck in the mud with whiteblaze right now, but then again I've yet to donate and get into the privleged forum, I might add, so maybe not.

snowhoe
12-13-2008, 18:11
AWWEE who cares just post something there people will let you know if its wrong.TRUST ME I speak from experience

Sly
12-13-2008, 19:08
While right now it says "General For posting of anything that isn't categorized" Since it's predominantly an Appalachian Trail hiking forum, it means AT and AT hiking related topics that can't be categorized elsewhere.

Skidsteer
12-13-2008, 19:50
What is "general"? Is it what is general to the trail, or general to A.T. hikers? I would like to have a place where discussion takes place about things that hikers have in common, not just what we have in common about the trail. Im kinda stuck in the mud with whiteblaze right now, but then again I've yet to donate and get into the privleged forum, I might add, so maybe not.

While right now it says "General For posting of anything that isn't categorized" Since it's predominantly an Appalachian Trail hiking forum, it means AT and AT hiking related topics that can't be categorized elsewhere.

In other words, post your topic in General if you're unsure. It can always be moved. No biggie.

johnnybgood
12-13-2008, 20:47
Let me get General thread thing going here. The Southern Ruck '09 is coming up in January-(18,19,20TH) in Wesser,North Carolina. Anyone in my neck of the woods intersted in going? I prolly go if someone else or others go . Its 455 miles from where I live -7 1/2 hour drive.

Mags
12-13-2008, 20:51
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/PhotozOnline/PattonMoviePosterLarge.jpg

Skidsteer
12-13-2008, 20:55
Let me get General thread thing going here. The Southern Ruck '09 is coming up in January-(18,19,20TH) in Wesser,North Carolina. Anyone in my neck of the woods intersted in going? I prolly go if someone else or others go . Its 455 miles from where I live -7 1/2 hour drive.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Smileys/haha-1.gif

Now that's funny right there. :D

Bearpaw
12-13-2008, 22:23
It means topics about the AT (or at the very least related to hiking) that don't fall into one of the MANY other forums here. Most of the stuff posted in the General forum doesn't belong there.

If you're posting about a book or trailjournal or an article from some news agency, it goes to "Media."

Gear, and where to buy it, belongs in "General Gear Talk".

Food belongs in "Cooking and Food", yet it usually starts out in General.

Info about the Smokies, Shenandoahs, Baxter State Park, and Grayson Highlands State Park belong in those respective forums.

Info about services, shuttles and so forth belong in either the "Trail Towns and services" or "Shuttles and Trailheads" forums.

Inquiries or discussion about other trails generally falls into one of the "Other Trails" forums.

Things that DO belong in General include water reports for areas outside the four parks listed above. Also information about hikers beyond simply trying to locate them often falls into General. Inquiries specific to section hikes, versus thru-hikes, often goes into "General". The occasional odd post that doesn't really fit any where else, but is still about hiking, might belong in General.

Discussions about topics that have nothing to do with the AT or hiking in general belong in the "General Non-AT Talk Forum", which BTW is NOT a pay forum. Any one should be able to join that forum by clicking on "User CP" header and going to the "Group Memberships" listing in "Networking".

Sometimes people post something they KNOW doesn't belong in the General Forum with the idea that it will get more views in the General Forum. Not true. Most folks I know simply click on "New Post" and look at threads that way. Also the General Forum gets so much traffic that your post is MORE likely to get buried there. Lastly, I move stuff that doesn't belong BUT I always leave a pointer in the General Forum showing where it went, usually for three days. If you haven't checked up for replies in that time, sorry, but it would already be long buried any way.

As a final note, questions about how the forums are set up should go in the "Forum Help Topics" Forum, not the General Forum....
(But I'll leave it here for a while so as not to confuse any one;).)

Bearpaw
12-13-2008, 22:27

Technically, this could be placed in the Get-Togethers Forum, but would more correctly fall into the "Ride Board" sub-forum of the "Hooking Up" Forum. General? NOT!

Whew, OK, I'm starting to have fun with this...:banana

ed bell
12-14-2008, 01:41
I'm glad this thread got started. Let me reiterate the fact that the General Forum is located in the Appalachian Trail Forums section. It is meant for Appalachian Trail subjects that are not categorized. There are many other forums that are for topics that are not related to the AT, and there is even a forum for things that have nothing to do with hiking or backpacking- General Non-At Talk. That forum must be subscribed to in order to access it but one does NOT have to be a donating member to sign up. That can be done from your User Control Panel. Use the Group Membership tab. Feel free to ask any moderator if you need help. Sorry if I repeated some of what Bearpaw posted. Just thought I would go over it again for clarity.

Sly
12-14-2008, 01:46
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Smileys/haha-1.gif

Now that's funny right there. :D

Not that funny, he' going to show up on Sunday night when most of the people have left!

johnnybgood
12-14-2008, 02:50
I have the info,was looking for ride share but still props are in order. I'm glad we now know what belongs

where and why.

Plodderman
12-14-2008, 10:09
Things do not fit anywhere else.

Pedaling Fool
12-14-2008, 10:13
Actually, there's a forum for that also http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=107

I hate to be a prune, but in my world everthing must be organized.

ofthearth
12-14-2008, 11:33
Actually, there's a forum for that also http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=107
I hate to be a prune, but in my world everthing must be organized.

Prune :-? ? How is a prune organized ;) ?