PDA

View Full Version : Tarptents

Simrose
04-10-2004, 16:05
A NOBO I met last summer (I was just out for a few days in Virginia) suggested I check out tarptents.com for a thru-hike tent. I am ready to purchase the Squall, but would actually like to hear about why others on this site did not go with a tarptent. I hear everyone say "people who use them love them" but don't really see any posts from people saying "I use one and I love it". Before I make this purchase I just want to hear why anyone out there (who's up for responding) made the choice they made.

(I have considered the hammocks, but right now I don't think it's for me ... though I am still fascinated by them.)

Thanks!

DeoreDX
04-10-2004, 23:22
I use a tarptent Cloudburst and love it. It's by far and away the easiest and quickest shelter to set up I've ever used. In fact, I can set my tarptent up faster then my hiking partner with his Hennessey Hammock, and that is saying a lot. Excellent storm protection, and does a good job managing condensation (it's not 100% condensation proof though, I have gotten some condensation in mine on two occasions). If there was a tent-type shelter I would take on a thru-hike the Tarptent would be my choice. Great product, and Henry's customer service is second to NONE. I mentioned on a web bulletin board that my front pole was hard to install, that it felt like it was about an inch too long. Henry SHires somehow tracked me down from the information of my profile on the web page and called me and offered to replace my tent, pole, buy me a pipe cutter, etc. Whatever it took to get me happy. Now that's good customer service, and sold me right then and there as a loyal customer for life.

As far as Thru-hiking I've only hiked on the Georgia portion of the AT. You will see a lot of folks on this board who use the Hennessey Hammmocks. While good tenting spots can be hard to find on portion fo the AT you will have a hard time NOT finding a place to string up a hammock for the night.

woodhippie
04-11-2004, 09:44
Hello all

I too am considering a tarp tent for the obvious reasons, however I have a couple questions that someone may be able to answer for me. With few exceptions I don't like waking up with critters in the sleeping bag with me....does the no-see-um netting work? In the Army we dug a Suez canal around the outside of the tent to take away water.........not cool on a trail. Does anyone have a tarp tent with the bathtub floor? I know that to the hard core tarp tenters this may seem trivial but I guess losing the rain fly is a big step toward weight reduction for me.

see ya in the woods

Jack

DeoreDX
04-11-2004, 11:14
The Shires tarptent doesn't have a bathtub floor. YOu have to be careful with site selection when pitching it. Runoff has not been a problem for me. As far as bugs are concerned I have the model with the sewn in floor. With the addition of the new door/floor zipper it's just as bug-proof as any other tent I have ever been in. I cannot comment on the bug-worthyness of the models w/o the floor. From what I have read they keep out the flying pests and depending how well you hold the netting to the ground with stop a lot but not all crawling things.

poison_ivy
04-11-2004, 11:16
I have a Squall Tarptent and I absolutely love it. Mine has the sewn-in floor, so it weights about 30 oz. It's perfect because I don't mind carrying it in case a shelter is full & if I can actually convince someone else to come along with me I have room for them too without having to increase my pack weight.

I've had no problems at all with the netting or with condensation. I've used it in some pretty big rain storms with out any problems with leakage (I seam-sealed as the directions recommended.) and some pretty windy areas too. While the sil-nylon rattled a bit in the winds, it did not fall down.

It's one of my favorite pieces of gear.

- Ivy

Kerosene
04-11-2004, 12:00
Simrose, check out the Europa II tarptent from www.sixmoondesigns.com. I ended up going with this for my Georgia hike last week and set it up next to a Henry Shires' tent a few times. I like the mesh sidewall design with overhanging eaves and more of a bathtub floor. It sets up nicely with your hiking pole and 3-6 stakes. I prefer the optional vestibule option of the Virga TarpTent a little more. With the Europa, you have to be a little more careful that you don't set up with the front door into the wind (which was a slight problem atop Blue Mountain where the prevailing wind was 180-degrees from the current wind and I knew that a storm was coming in the next 24 hours).

I also have a Hennessy A-sym that is fantastic for its setup flexibility and comfort. However, it doesn't work very well below about 50 degrees without some significant wrap-around insulation in the way of a pad and then down as the temperature drops. I'm saving the hammock for summer camping.

Lint
04-12-2004, 16:15
After lugging around a MSR Zoid on last summers big 'ol hike, I decided to try out the Virga Tarptent. Slept in my yard a few times and just got back from a 4 night shakedown cruise on the Ice Age Trail. The Virga is a little cramped, but I loved it. The one I ordered has the floor and beak, so the weight went up a tad, but I consider this to be worth it. Plus, this model lets me leave a pole at home and use one of my trekking poles instead. And Henry Shires does some fantastic customer service! I was very pleased after dealing with him. He also seems to have plans available on how to make your own tarptent! The fact that he is willing to share this info with folks sits well with me. If I had a sewing machine I would of liked to try it DIY.
But the real test is coming up. I'm taking this Virga on the AT, so my final opinion won't be made up for awile. Holy cats, yonder calendar says I leave for Springer in 2 days! And I still haven't figured out how to dehydrate beer...

StoveStomper
04-12-2004, 16:52
My second HS TarpTent should be shipped this week.

I loved my first Squall, it was without floor.
My next will have the floor and extended beak.
Never really had any problems but just would like the extra beak.

rambunny
05-02-2004, 15:48
I'm getting Brawny's tenttarp trailquest.com My 96 Summer moon seirra design rainfly and tyveck groundcloth withover 7,000 miles on it is retiring post news abiut the party later.

Singletrack
05-02-2004, 18:58
I have the Brawny Tarp Tent from Dancing Light Gear. Mine is the 10 ft. model, giving me plenty of room. It has a floor, and bug mesh at the front entrance. Last time I slepted in it the temp went down in the upper 20s, and the wind was about 20 mph. Slepted fine. By the way, with 8 stakes, guy lines, and stuff sack, it weighs in at 27.5 ounces. I will use it on my SOBO this year.

stranger
05-11-2004, 07:56
I have a Cloudburst with a sewn in floor and I would definitely recommend it for most situations. It's very light for one considering the amount of room you have and it's extremely light for two...and comfortable as well. Keep in mind that this design does not have a bathtub floor yet...so standing water in campsites will pose a problem. However, a great design with complete bug control and decent wind resistance. For best results plan on staking the Cloudburst in more than the 4 mininum. I use 10 stakes in high wind.

Marvin_the_Martian
05-11-2004, 23:18
I also own a Cloudburst Tarp tent

I am amazed out how much room there is in the tarptent once up and the lightest of the tarptent when I to have to carry it. Although I must admitt I also have trouble with the front pole fitting. I agree the front pole is a little long.

I bushwalk in Adelaide Australia and using a tarp instead of a tent is very uncommon so when I put my tarp tent up it certaily brings quite a few comments. Most are that it is only really a summer tent. I have explained that it is used overseas in all weather but people find it very hard to accept.
Still I will keep trying.

The only real problem that I have found is that you must be very careful on where you select to put it up. On a recent walk on the Overland Track Tasmania, after a really bad storm the water run of had soaked my floor. So a little extra care is needed.

Overall I would highly recommend the Tarp tent.

stranger
05-12-2004, 04:48
I would have to agree that the front pole is a hair too long, however this is something that is common on many tents...not just Henry's.

frankcornbread
10-14-2004, 09:47
Henry now offers a "bathtub" option in his Tarptents. It is a 3" piece of fabric sewn around the perimeter of the floor and held upright by mini bungees at the corners. The bug mesh joins at the bottom so the bathtub fabric is totally freestanding. Only functional issue is sleeping bag, pad or gear moving in the night and flattening the bathtub. I have a Squall and as a solo there is plenty of room to situate youself and your gear to avoid this issue. With two occupants this could become more of a concern.
FC

TREE-HUGGER
10-14-2004, 10:05
I have not owned a tarp tent, but I spent several years in a tarp when we all first started tarping. I have looked at the tarp tent pretty hard and I consider it a fair weather tent. I dont see how it could ever stay dry in a true down pour. In reality it takes a good double wall tent to keep you perfectly dry in a rain storm. And even alot of those struggle with the splash factor. I think if you are a hiker who stays in the shelters mostly and can pick and choose when you use it, or you are out west in a dryer condition it would be great. But if you are someone who tents every single night no matter the weather, you will get wet more than once.

The Eleven
10-14-2004, 12:04
I'm all for lightening up loads, but I just can't seem to get to the point of being in a floorless, almost poleless tent. I do like the idea of a very light tent and light fly...if that's what it is, but how long does the silicon layer actually last? What do you do if you don't use hiking poles? I still need some real protection and full enclosure with my tents and I like KEEPING my pack in the tent to access stuff and use it to elevate body parts (head, feet)...don't have to get out of tent and stumble around at night to get at it. Anycase, what I use right now is a small kids pop tent, FREE STANDING, with a very thin painter's tarp for a rain fly. 5 paper-lightpegs (could use sticks, depends on wind conditions) to lock down the tarp/vestibule area. Good headroom, though I do sleep diagonally and pack is stuffed in the corner. Built in tarp-like floor, which is where some of the weight comes from. Drawback...fiberglass poles...resnt of weight. Set up on inside of tent. Trying to shorten my aluminum poles to fit. I beleive it all comes in at @3lbs.
Happy Trails! Steve (Little Bear 2) in CT

PS Own a Northface SlickRock.....not bad, but a little heavy with the fly. Maybe swap fly for homemade painter's tart fly. Without fly, pretty light.

Dainon
10-14-2004, 12:29
I hope that someone with experience using a tarptent will respond to SteveKeri's comments. It is my understanding that the tarptent may be ordered with a floor sewn in Anyway, I have similar concerns to Mr. Keri's and would appreciate any comments from tarptent users

I am also very interested in the new "LunarSolo" by sixmoondesigns. What is particularly appealing about this tent is the weight -- a bit under 2 lbs. I wrote to their customer service dept. asking if the tent would be appropriate for someone my size (6'1, 210 lbs) and also if the tent would be suitable for a rookie. The response I got (from Ron Moak) was:

"I'm 6' and weight even more. The Lunar Solo is designed to be quite roomy. Also because the sidewalls are mesh, you don't have the problem of getting wet gear when brushing up against them. We've tried to design the tent to be as user friendly as possible. That said, there are still some things to consider when using a tent like this one. You need to look for setting where your not going to get water either flowing or pooling under the tent. You may also opt for the heavier floor for enhanced protection and water resistance."

dje97001
10-14-2004, 13:28
To add my perspective, I own one of HS's cloudbursts--bought earlier this year. Over the summer my wife and I took a short little 20-or so mile hike through the presidentials and used the cloudburst just south of the madison summit. The only concern that I would have is the size of the footprint--which is large--but please don't forget that this is a 2 person tent (with room for packs inside) which explains the size of the footprint. The tent is great. Had minimal condensation (even though our camping spot didn't have a ton of free-flowing air) that didn't prove to be a problem. My version doesn't have a bathtub floor--I'm jealous of you that you can get that option now!!! It wasn't offerred when I bought it, but it is something that I think will make a whole new group of people open to buying it. Send an email to Henry and mention any questions or reservations you have--he'll give you the straight answer. This guy is great. His products are fantastic. The bathtub floor should close the deal.

The Solemates
10-14-2004, 13:38
and it weighs only slightly more than a tarp! and its 2-man! The one man version weighs only 3 lbs. it gives bug protection, where a tarp will not. you will definitely want this on the AT. it also gives much better weather (rain, ice, snow) protection than a tarp would.

Lilred
10-14-2004, 18:22
I hope that someone with experience using a tarptent will respond to SteveKeri's comments. It is my understanding that the tarptent may be ordered with a floor sewn in Anyway, I have similar concerns to Mr. Keri's and would appreciate any comments from tarptent users

I am also very interested in the new "LunarSolo" by sixmoondesigns. What is particularly appealing about this tent is the weight -- a bit under 2 lbs. I wrote to their customer service dept. asking if the tent would be appropriate for someone my size (6'1, 210 lbs) and also if the tent would be suitable for a rookie.

I've ordered the Lunar Solo and I believe he will be starting shipments either the 15th or 18th. I should be getting it soon. I'll post on here after I get a chance to spend a couple of nights in it. I've never done a gear review but I'll do my best.

Kerosene
10-16-2004, 08:33
how long does the silicon layer actually last?.This is silicon impregnated nylon, so there is no coating and the water-proofness lasts for the life of the fabric.

What do you do if you don't use hiking poles?.You can order a lightweight aluminum pole from Henry Shires.

I still need some real protection and full enclosure with my tents and I like KEEPING my pack in the tent to access stuff and use it to elevate body parts.You'll have more than enough room to accommodate you and your pack in the 2-person Squall and Europa II models. These tents can also be ordered with bug netting and floors and total a whopping 32 ounces plus 3 ounces for pegs plus the optional tent pole (4 oz?).

MileMonster
10-17-2004, 17:58
I like my Squall w/ floor. Not sure I'd say I love it, but it has served me well. Mesh does keep bugs out. I used a plain 8'x10' tarp the first half of my thru, before bug season. I liked that, too.

Issues with the Tarptent - not many for me. It did get pretty damp during a hard rain on a wooden tent platform in NH. Water dripped onto the boards and then spread down the board lengthwise and wound up under the tarp. Water dripping off the tarp and onto pooled water on the boards caused some splash to dampen my stuff, too. That's the only time I've had water issues with it.

gweet4
10-18-2004, 00:05
Are these suitable for the whole journey from ga to me.

Kerosene
10-18-2004, 10:07
Are these suitable for the whole journey from ga to me.Yep, many thru-hikers depend on them for the entire journey. I know that Raven just finished up using a Squall.

MileMonster
10-18-2004, 16:43
According to Yogi's guidebook they seem to be the shelter-of-choice for the PCT.

jgoldsworthy
10-26-2004, 19:35
I have a HS Squall and love it! I purchased it this past January without prior tarp usage. Mine does not have the sewn in floor. My thought was I could use the tyvek in the shelters. Well, I spent most of the time in my tarptent. When I did stay in a shelter, it was normally because I arrived late and was too tired to tent, and too tired to play with the tyvek too. I'd probably go with the sewn in floor if I did it again.

I had no major issues with bugs, but they could get in. I found out early that I had to do my journal in the daylight as the headlamp drew bugs in quickly. That was the only bug problem the whole hike and was tolerable. I knew the limitation and dealt with it.

I was rather selective where I pitched and had no major water issues, but having the 2 person version gave me some room to move around and pull the tyvek in during any rain. The only minor issue was a condensation issue. During a heavy rain, it's normally cold due to the cold front coming in, which causes condensation build up with the beak pulled down. The large rain drops would then flick the condensation off the inside, creating a light mist. Not a major issue, but something that did happen. Everything is damp anyway, right?

Radio Flyer '04
GA>Daleville, VA
Franconia>ME
(1000 Miles 93 days)

willyhort0w2
10-26-2004, 20:19
I just recieved my new tarptent squall after converting from a hennessey. I don't know what to say yet but I am taking it out this weekend. I recieved the new model with the floor, extended beak and bathtub floor. I will respond back with my comments post hike.

tarbubble
10-26-2004, 21:27
According to Yogi's guidebook they seem to be the shelter-of-choice for the PCT.
at the last 2 ADZPCTKO's you couldn't walk 15 feet without passing a half dozen TarpTents. saw many of the other silnylon shelters as well - Europas, Silshelters, one or two Wanderlusts.

Freeze
10-26-2004, 22:29
I started out with a Squall. It was ok! The first night i pitched it was on a slight incline (no more level ground available as shelter and campsites where packed), and i kept slidding out of it all night due to the slipery sil nylon floor. If you get one, make sure you grid the floor with the same silicone you use to seam seal it. I could never get the noseeum neting to seal the tent. I think the new ones now have a zipper at the bottom that fixes this problem. I also had a hard time finding a spot large enough to pitch it. But that may just be me. I ended up giving it up and switching to a 8x5.5 tarp.
laters.

Rambler
10-26-2004, 23:36
I use a homemade tarptent. It keeps mosquitoes out. In rain I hang it low so side edges are on or near the ground. Beaks help in rain or wind. Door netting stops rain to some degree. Instead of a full sewn-in floor, I use a piece of 1.9 oz.coated nylon slightly wider than a sleeping bag. The ground cover keeps dirt and wet off my bag. I often use it in shelters also to keep dust of the bag. I did try apiece of tyvek to do the same, but tyvek has small fibers that tend to catch leaves and dirt like mini spider webs. It is very hard to clean. Once, camping in the rain, instead of using a pole I tied the end line to a tree, and used my treking pole as a center pole. This helps to keep the sides taut and the rain running off. The nylon does stretch, so it's a good idea to tighten the lines after the tent has been up awhile if you can remember to do that before turning in for the night. I met a thru-hiker in Baxter a day away from ending his hike. He had the one person taptent and recommended it. I was somewhat surprised when meeting that same hiker on the summit of Katahdin, he pulled out a beer can and a cigarette to celebrate his accomplishment. One other reason to take a taptent over a hammock is weight. Also as you hike into Maine in August or September, you can get by without netting, so think of switching to a regular tarp. Strike three. RedSox take Game 3. Goodnight.

Skyline
10-27-2004, 00:23
The Six Moon Designs Europa II tarp-tent does have a good bathtub-style floor--as opposed to the Shires tents with sidewalls which have netting all the way to the ground.

It also has an optional 4-oz. vestibule which clips onto the front at the bottom left/right, and is positioned over the front pole. Entry is via velcro fasteners on one side.

I've been using the Europa II for awhile now and am mostly happy with it. Even had one night in a VIOLENT storm in Grayson Highlands. Only problem was that one of the vestibule clips ripped (did I say it was a VIOLENT storm?), which Jeff at Mt. Rogers Outfitters fixed after the hike with something more durable (at no charge...thanx Jeff!).

Only real complaint is that the seam sealing job I paid a few bucks for was sub-par. If I had it to do over, I'd just do it myself (as I have). In that Grayson storm, I had leakage in several places. Also, the floor is very slippery--but some X's with the sil-net seam sealent helps that a lot.

The Europa II sets up in under two minutes, uses just six stakes max, and with vestibule, tyvek ground cloth, stakes, stuff sack etc. weighs 2# 5 oz. It is decadently roomy, and you can sit up in the front of it without hitting your head on the ceiling.

As a single wall tent, you've got to expect some interior condensation I guess, and in really humid weather/fog/rain there will be some. But not nearly as much as some other shelters, and the tent's design limits your contact with it anyway.

illininagel
10-27-2004, 10:35
Skyline,

Will the Six Moon Designs Europa II tarptent accomodate a tall hiker? I am 6'3" and was wondering if I would have enough room.

barndamaged
10-27-2004, 20:48
I am planning a 05 AT thru hike and had confidently narrowed my choice of shelter down to the HS Squall Tarp Tent. However, I will be 39 years old and the idea of leizure rest swinging in the breeze in a Hennessy Hammock seems very desireable. I trust a Squall's reputation on a thru hike. How about the Hennessy? Comments? Thanks!

Lucinda
10-27-2004, 20:50
I just wanted to let Squall owners know that I contacted Henry to see about getting some retrofits for my older Squall. For $30 I can get the extended beak. Also, I can get the removable bathtub floor (even with the sewn in floor!!) although they don't have a price for me yet. What wonderful customer service!

Kerosene
10-28-2004, 09:58
Skyline,

Will the Six Moon Designs Europa II tarptent accomodate a tall hiker? I am 6'3" and was wondering if I would have enough room.The Europa II measures 90" in length (7' 6"), with a 24" ceiling at the extreme foot of the tent. Based on these dimensions, as well as how I fit into the tent (I'm 5' 9"), a 6' 3" hiker should have no problem finding sufficient room. According to recent backpackinglight.com reviews, the Europa II has one of the best weight to usable floor space ratios on the market.

weathercarrot
10-28-2004, 14:58
I used the TarpTent Squall with floor and extended beak this year on the PCT. Overall I'd say it's a good tent. Condensation was still an issue, but that's a factor on any single wall tent, and it was better than my Nomad. I wouldn't want to have it in any heavy snow-load situation - the few hail storms I had it in were beginning to weigh down the fly. Ron Moak's new tent has it's high point more toward the middle and with steeper angles, making it potentially more withstanding of hail, snow, as well as wind. The Squall is really the perfect size for anyone solo who wants plenty of room, or if you are solo and suddenly need to put two people in there. And the weight is not significantly greater than the Virga. One of the negative things about the squall is that the mesh comes straight off the fly overhang, so rainwater tends to hug the mesh almost all the way to the floor after it's run off the fly. It wouldn't take much to adjust the design there. I'm sure Henry's already heard feedback about that.

One interesting thing on the PCT this year - when you get a whole bunch of HS Tarptents together each night at campsites, the term used was "The Shire".

highway
10-29-2004, 08:26
Here's a one-pounder for 150 that works for me:

http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=729

gravityman
10-29-2004, 14:36
Here's a one-pounder for 150 that works for me:

http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=729

Doesn't have the bug protection that most like so much in the tarptent. But if you make other arrangements or don't care, then it can work...

Gravity

CRAZYPACE
11-01-2004, 09:59
I just used mine this weekend in heavy rain. No leaks, but did have some condensation which I dont consider excessive for the weather I was in.
I also have the model with sewn in floor, which I would recomend.
Light, easy set up, enough room for me and my pack. I purchased it after
helping out a thru-hiker named beatbox, who had one, but broke the rear
pole. Henry Shires the owner fed-ex one out to me and I got it to him on the trail. I so was impressed by his customer service and how much beatbox liked
the tent for his thru-hike, that I bought one.

Ridge
11-01-2004, 21:21
After years of tarping, my conversion came after a scorpion bite to the eye area on a Fla outing. I now use the (old) Walrus Swift 1.5 person tent. Water tight, bug proof and light (just not light enough). But after the total ruination of my hiking trip (after the bite) I can handle it. I lost the use of my eye for a painful week, don't want that again, plus, I like being out of the rain. I would like to see whats new and light out there in the way of tarping, esp water and bug proof ones.

neo
11-02-2004, 00:39
i have a tacoma solo tarp for winter use,44inches in height and 9 ft lenght,60 in wide,wieghs 13 oz total counting 8 titanium stakes,$75.00,in warmer buggy months i use the brawny tarp tent $160.00,total wieght 24.oz,with floor and bug net,very roomy,44in height,9 ft long 54 in wide,she makes great rain gear and stuff sacks also,i will post a link to her site.happy trails neo.:clap :bse :banana :jump :dance :sun

Drala Hiker
11-22-2004, 20:12
Considering the nature of this thread, I'm posting my Cloudburst report here for everyone's perusal.

I received my Cloudburst about a week before my first trip this fall. I talked with Henry Shires about the new extended floor and beak before ordering. Having encountered a number of severe thunderstorms on the AT last summer, I felt that the extended floor and beak would be worth the couple of ounces they would add. The choices proved to be wise. I've had the Cloudburst out for 9 nights, and it has rained every time (now thinking I'm a rain magnet!). One night we had 5 thunderstorms in succession, with torrential downpours and strong wind gusts. Other nights had gentle rain to moderate, wind-blown rain. The Cloudburst has handled it all admirably. As I knew rain was predicted, I took the time to utilize the side guyouts. It took me about 3 min. for a complete setup. Using the side guyouts allowed me to lock down both ends of the side walls, and leave the middle rolled up for better air circulation. The netting kept most of the rain splatter and wind drift out of the shelter, but two storms with pounding rain and strong wind gusts proved problematic, but no problem once I clipped up the extended floor on the windward side. I really do admire the design of the extended floor - it's there when you need it, and out of the way when you don't. One night rain was not predicted, and I had the side walls and beak rolled up. In the middle of the night it started to rain lightly, and gradually increased in intensity, so that rain splatter was penetrating the netting. Not wanting to dress and venture outside to lower the side walls, I simply reached around to each corner, clipped up the floor, and went back to sleep. I appreciate the ability to deploy the beak without going out, too. One note on wind deflection: with the side guyouts deployed, 25-30 mph wind gusts resulted in only moderate deflection, never enough to even come close to my gear or bag.

Going from a typical double wall shelter to a single wall tarptent has proven an easy move for me. The only adjustment really needed on my part was dealing with the fine mist - a thin film of condensation that is released in very hard rain. Pulling a jacket over my head took care of that, but unless all your gear is DWR coated, you'll want to put need-to-stay-dry gear in your pack, or DWR stuff sacks - this is true of all single wall shelters. In temps from 65F to 45F, with 65%-100% humidity, I've had only the thinnest film of condensation inside the shelter - I don't even consider it a problem. The Cloudbust is never stuffy like a fully buttoned up double wall shelter. I look forward to using the Cloudburst in colder temps as winter approaches.

One additional note: I was a bit concerned, as others have mentioned, about the front netting zipper laying in the dirt and clogging the zipper teeth. I cut my painter's poly groundsheet with a tab on the front side, so that the zipper lays on the poly. This has proven to be simple, effective solution.

Note that Tarptent is now having an inventory reduction sale - get'em before they're gone (tell your significant other to get a jump on Xmas gifts for you!).

canyon
12-03-2004, 00:05
I have the Rainshadow which is the nicest thing I have. It's the three person, weighs about two pounds, and is huge. I use it for my wife and baby daughter and self. Henry is simply the best. I made a tarptent from his original design for a hike thru the JMT and loved it. The rainshadow is sooo much better. Main different is that while tarps are kind of slow to set up, the tarptent is super super easy. I would love a cloudburst, but I use trecking poes and can't justify not using them on the tarp. (cloudburst has a curved front pole like a Stevensons or Golite Den) but much nicer than the Den. Stevensons just too much money for me but probably really nice. Most recommended thing I can recommend, even more than my WM Ultralite