PDA

View Full Version : one wall tents

NorseWoman
12-14-2008, 18:19
I am looking at one wall tents. My one concern is: Do one wall tents leak or draw water in if you/gear are touching the sides during a rain storm?

Any advantages/disadvantages of 1 wall vs 2 wall tents would be appreciated
Thanks, Nana

KG4FAM
12-14-2008, 18:36
Its the condensation that gets you wet in the one wall tents. That is the main reason why you take a double wall tent is condensation. If you have good ventilation in a single wall its not a terrible issue, but some of them are able to be shut off pretty good and if you do lock it down you will wake up in a rainstorm in your tent

4eyedbuzzard
12-14-2008, 19:38
OLD single wall tents made of canvas would leak water in if equipment or people touched them as they relied upon the canvas fabric fibers swelling with water to seal and repel rain. Modern nylon tents do not have this problem. Note that silnyon and spinnaker cloth, ultralight material favorites, are not completely waterprooof, only highly water repellent. They will leak ever so slightly with high water pressures such as found during wind driven rain and downpours. Urethane coated nylon is completely waterproof, but at approx. twice the weight.

Nylon single wall tents will generally have much greater condensation issues than double wall tents, as in a double wall design the non-waterproof inner tent or netting allows most water vapor to pass thorough it. With a single wall tent, if the dew point of the air/water vapor mixture in the tent is higher than the temperature of the tent wall, condensation will occur.

Good ventilation is the only way to prevent/minimize condensation in ANY tent design. Even with all the flaps open though, there wil be times condensation will occur. Usually, it isn't a huge issue, just everything will wind up a little more damp than it normally is.

garlic08
12-14-2008, 19:53
Good ventilation is the only way to prevent/minimize condensation in ANY tent design. Even with all the flaps open though, there wil be times condensation will occur. Usually, it isn't a huge issue, just everything will wind up a little more damp than it normally is.

Good summary, Buzzard, but I'd like to add that another way to minimize condensation is good site selection--stay away from damp dewy areas like grassy lowlands, for instance.

4eyedbuzzard
12-14-2008, 19:56
Good summary, Buzzard, but I'd like to add that another way to minimize condensation is good site selection--stay away from damp dewy areas like grassy lowlands, for instance.
Yep, I'd agree. There was a recent thread here from a young WB member wondering why he had condensation in his single wall tent while camped next to a swamp.:-?

Blissful
12-14-2008, 20:09
Setting up in woods helps instread of out in the open.

Tinker
12-14-2008, 21:06
I get condensation under my tarp sometimes. Still air, low dewpoint, exhaled warm moisture-laden breath - condensation. Btw - to whome it may concern, condensate is a noun. Condense is the verb. Just thought I'd mention. :)

dperry
12-18-2008, 23:25
My wife and I have a Eureka Zeus 2 (the previous model with doors on both sides, not the current one that only has one door in the end. Don't know why they did that.:() We've been out in a couple of rainstorms and not had any problems with direct leaking, but as others point out, you will get condensation (sometimes you will also get it on very humid nights.) It's not unbearable. We have to make sure it's well vented (there are vents at the peak of the tent, vents at the bottom of each end with flaps which are staked out, plus the doors have screens.) The big advantage is that we get a tent long enough to fit my 6'4" frame, wide enough so that we don't roll over each other too much at night, and with two full vestibules, which weighs in at just a shade over 4 pounds. It's also quite easy to set up (five minutes max). We intend to take good care of it, so we can keep it as long as we can, since it's been discontinued (although we probably saved fifty bucks on it because of that, and it would have been even more if I hadn't forgot to send the rebate in.:mad:)

Wise Old Owl
12-18-2008, 23:59
I am amazed we are worked up about condensation on a single wall tent, Folks... I must be missing something here, the real point is how well does it hold up in a Monsoon! How about a three day downpour that you would not want to get out of the sleeping bag for? Condensation is poor spot picking and lack of vents.... Going light weight means lack of some comforts. I won't edit this, but I am thinking - Grow a pair!

Nana,

You are correct most if not all materials, if you touch the sides you get some seep, so take a small sponge for the floor. Your bag is likely to be on a pad anyway. As a child I have waken to 5 inches of water and floating on my airmat. The average hiker does not buy a double wall tent as that would be considered 4 season, and unless you are camping & backpacking during the winter months it's not neccesary. But if you don't mind the weight go for it. I started with an Andre Jamet with a bathtub floor and although it was heavy 7lbs, it was awesome. I avoided hurricanes, squalls, ocean storms at the beach, it's not handy for backpacking. Yes 20+ years later - it works and I still have it.

Thoughts, who is going to carry it? are you going to split it with a partner? How does this tent affect the big four in terms of weight? Is there somthing out there that is better weight / price?

Feel free to PM me if you would like additional ideas.

And 4eyedbuzzard - You post was very informative, good solid ideas.

Tinker
12-19-2008, 00:18
Post deleted by author.

Jim Adams
12-19-2008, 00:49
If you are going single wall you HAVE to have a pair just to put up with all the wet gear!

geek

sly dog
12-19-2008, 13:27
I also have the Eureka Zeus 2. I love it, for how roomy it is it does not weigh much. It is a breeze to setup and I have used it for several week long trips with no problems. I used it in VA,NJ,MD,VT,CT everywhere from april thru sept in downpours to 102 degree temps. Never really had the condensation issues as long as the vents are set up properly. Once or twice I did have a little moisture on the inside roof but it did rain from 3pm till after midnite and there were 2 people in the tent and temps were in the low 90's. In the hot hot summers I could see where 2 wall is nice so you can remove the fly completely and have a bit more air flow.

xnav
12-19-2008, 14:43
I use a single wall Eureka Zeus LE two man tent . I have slept thru an all-night rain with no leaks and mimimal condensation. However with vents at the top and bottom and the extra room with only one person maybe it helps with the condensation issue. It weighs about 6lbs.

hootyhoo
12-19-2008, 18:09
I use an Oragami 2ul in winter when its cold. There is condensation - especially if I stake it right to the ground to avoid cold wind. I keep my camp towel handy and when I wake in the night I just wipe her down. When I wake in the morning I just wipe her down. If the condensate freezes I just shake as much as I can off and pack it up. Single wall takes a little more effort - but not as much as carrying around a double wall. Extra weight or extra care - your choice. I tarp in summer and sometimes I will use a bug screen bivy - mostly for ticks and spiders. I would recommend the single wall - but thats just me.

Frosty
12-19-2008, 20:38
I am amazed we are worked up about condensation on a single wall tent, Folks... I must be missing something here, the real point is how well does it hold up in a Monsoon! How about a three day downpour that you would not want to get out of the sleeping bag for? Condensation is poor spot picking and lack of vents.... Going light weight means lack of some comforts. I won't edit this, but I am thinking - Grow a pair! No one is worked up. This is a discussion of attributes of single and double wall tents. Condensation is a legitmate topic, often discussed on the trail, and there is no reason to insult the OP. Especially as this is the straight-forward forum.

Wise Old Owl
12-20-2008, 00:26
If you are going single wall you HAVE to have a pair just to put up with all the wet gear!

geek

My beer just shot out my beak! WHO WHooooo!

NorseWoman
12-20-2008, 09:13
Thanks for the comments, I was thinking of trying a one wall tent for a thru hike but I think I'll stick with my 2 wall- The weight will be split among 2 hikers so weight is not as much of a concern, just always thinking of lightening the load even more
Nana