PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag Question

hikergirl1120
12-14-2008, 20:29
I am starting my SOBO on July 1st 2009...just curious what rating sleeping bag I would be safe with.

I found a super deal on a 40 + down bag but I don't think that will be warm enough...

Any thoughts?

KG4FAM
12-14-2008, 20:34
I would go with a 30 degree bag. That is what I have used on my two trips to Maine in July and have stayed warm. You are going to be hiking into winter so a 30 would extend the use of the summer bag to later in the season. The 40 degree bag would probably leave you cold in the Whites where you are more likely to get wet as well as the having lower temperatures.

Tinker
12-14-2008, 20:56
Which bag would that be?
Some bags are not realistically rated.
Also - Do you sleep warm or cold?
If you're a warm sleeper and have a down vest or jacket, and the bag really is good to 40 degrees, you might be ok with it on a sobo (unless you get an unusually cold night in the Whites, for instance) until you get farther down South (in September and October), then you might wish you had a warmer bag (or more clothing). Remember - bag + clothing + pad + shelter = sleep system.

Egads
12-14-2008, 21:50
I know a SOBO who ended up with a 0*. IIRC, she finished in December.

Edit - make that a 20* bag

Marta
12-14-2008, 22:36
I used a WM Ultralite from July through Oct. 31. Switched to a Nunatak Raku for the rest of the hike. I wore long johns every night of the hike, starting with silkweight in the summer, and progressing to wool and microfleece and full-on fleece in the winter.

It can get downright cold in Maine, NH, and VT, even in the summer. By the time you get out of northern New England, it's fall, and moving rapidly towards winter.

A lot of it depends on you, though--are you a cold sleeper? People whose internal thermostats are set on HIGH can get away with less of a bag than a cold fish like myself.

garlic08
12-14-2008, 23:27
My MH Phantom 45 was perfect for New England this year. I hiked through NH and ME in late June/early July. That bag worked great for me from Pearisburg to Katadin. Your pace will dictate when you'll need a warmer bag. Heck, if you hike really fast and beat the weather, you might not need one.

hikergirl1120
12-15-2008, 09:00
I am trying not to get swept away by sales but I keep seeing all these great deals...what can I say?? LOL

Originally I was thinking about a 20+ bag based on reccomendations from others but in the back of my mind a 0 seems a little better. I do get cold at night. It is so hard to make gear descisions. Everytime I think I have something figured out I hear an argument that leads me to other ideas...

I am thinking that having a 0 bag will be like full coverage insurance....I mean it's easier to deal with being hot that it is with bening cold...at least for me.

Do you think a 0 is going overboard??

Ramble~On
12-15-2008, 09:17
A zero degree might be overboard.

There's so many variables. Warm/Cold sleeper plus what kind of average temps you see over the course of your hike.

I'd want three bags ( and sales are hard to pass up:) )
I want a 20* , a bag liner and a summer bag.

I could bounce box or have a support person at home mail me whichever bag combo the weather demanded.

I'd want the 20* bag to zip atleast 3/4 of the way down so I could use it as a quilt if it got too warm.

BookBurner
12-15-2008, 11:14
If you're a self-professed cold-sleeper (and only want to buy one bag), a 40 degree model won't likely cut it. But a O degree bag is probably leaning too far the other way. You would likely roast in Vermont, Mass, Connecticut, etc.! Try a middle of the road 20 degree job and know that on warm nights you can open it up like a quilt to ventilate. And on cold nights, you can wear rain gear, thermals, gloves, etc. to extend your comfort range.

KG4FAM
12-15-2008, 11:19
I am trying not to get swept away by sales but I keep seeing all these great deals...what can I say?? LOL

Originally I was thinking about a 20+ bag based on reccomendations from others but in the back of my mind a 0 seems a little better. I do get cold at night. It is so hard to make gear descisions. Everytime I think I have something figured out I hear an argument that leads me to other ideas...

I am thinking that having a 0 bag will be like full coverage insurance....I mean it's easier to deal with being hot that it is with bening cold...at least for me.

Do you think a 0 is going overboard??If you are a cold sleeper then a 40 is no good. Take a 30 to start with and switch to a 0 to 15 as it gets cold.

bigcranky
12-15-2008, 11:46
Depending on how fast you hike, you'll probably appreciate the zero-F bag later in the hike. For the start, a 30-F or so should be good.

hikergirl1120
12-15-2008, 12:02
I am wondering if I go with a 20 and bundle if and when I apporach colder weather if that will be enough and I will be able to go with just one bag....

mountain squid
12-15-2008, 12:16
I am wondering if I go with a 20 and bundle if and when I apporach colder weather if that will be enough and I will be able to go with just one bag....You could always add a silk liner. A silk liner (http://www.jagbags.co.nz/) 'might' add 5-10F of warmth. If nothing else it will help keep your sleeping bag clean.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

hikergirl1120
12-15-2008, 13:43
I had planned on using a liner in general just because of the cleanliness factor so that will work out well then....I am thinking that I will be fine with the 20 degree bag....if worse came to worse I would have a warmer bag sent to me or buy one (would just have to cross that bridge when I came to it).

Egads
12-15-2008, 18:49
You could always add a silk liner. A silk liner (http://www.jagbags.co.nz/) 'might' add 5-10F of warmth.

That is extremely optimistic for a silk liner. You'd better try it at home first.

ScottP
12-16-2008, 00:25
If it's a super good deal I'd get the 40 degree and upgrade once things start to get cold. You can always add a warm shirt or a down vest as you go, then you have a more flexible system.

hikergirl1120
12-16-2008, 08:24
If it's a super good deal I'd get the 40 degree and upgrade once things start to get cold. You can always add a warm shirt or a down vest as you go, then you have a more flexible system.

I was trying to go with one bag....I am not sure if that is possible though

nitewalker
12-16-2008, 08:39
My MH Phantom 45 was perfect for New England this year. I hiked through NH and ME in late June/early July. That bag worked great for me from Pearisburg to Katadin. Your pace will dictate when you'll need a warmer bag. Heck, if you hike really fast and beat the weather, you might not need one.

i have the same bag and i love it. i belive the bag is good down to 38* or so when wearing a layer of clothing.. when in the stuff sack it is about the size of a nerf football but lighter..great summer bag:D

hikergirl1120
12-16-2008, 08:45
The bag was originally $179 and is marked down to about $70. I am so torn about it.

bigcranky
12-16-2008, 08:52

Sure it's possible. Start with a 15 or 20-F bag in Maine, and when it gets cold down South wear extra clothing to bed. You'll have some warm layers that you wear around camp and at breaks -- just layer up inside the bag.

You'll have some too-warm nights early on, and some cold nights toward the end, but it's certainly possible to do it with one bag.

Finally, one more thing to consider: if you choose to start with a 40F bag, don't buy the warmer bag until you absolutely need it. Put that money aside, and spend it at one of the many good outfitters along the Trail when you need the bag. (I suggest this for the same reason that I suggest not buying all your food ahead of time -- it's quite possible to be forced off the trail for injury or many other reasons.)

hikergirl1120
12-16-2008, 10:04
I treated my self to an early Christmas present! I decided that becuase it was so cheap that I really could afford to buy another if I needed to along the way.

Thank you!!! This place is AWESOME!!!!!

hikergirl1120
12-20-2008, 08:10
Ok so I have ordered the 40 degree bag. But this morning I was looking online again and I found a 15 degree bag for about 30 more bucks. The only things are 1. this bag weighs 3 lbs rather than the 19 oz. of the 40 degree bag. and 2. it's a synthetic not a down

What should I do:confused:

I can easily make the exchange. But I just want to be sure about it. Any advice???

Jim Adams
12-20-2008, 09:03
The down will be a nice bag but you will need a bag with a lower rating. The 40* bag simply wont be warm enough for the entire trip.
OTOH, the 15* synthetic is not going to pack near as small as a down and is heavy.
I think that I would buy the 40* down bag and keep looking for a "cheap" down 0*--20* bag also.

geek

Jim Adams
12-20-2008, 09:21
Alot of hikers use just one bag the entire trip. I used a 20* synthetic for my entire 1990 hike.
I started with a 0* in 2002. Switched to a 32* after the Grayson Highlands then a 50*through Pa., N.J., N.Y., CT. back to the 32* for MA. and VT. then back to the 0* for the Whites and Maine. All down.
Was I more comfortable the second trip?...yes.
Did it really matter?...no.
If you are going to error in temp ratings, go for the colder / lower temp rated bag. A few more oz.s to carry are worth good sleeping. You can't hike well if you are constantly tired.
You still have some time. Search for deals. Alot of stores will start to discount their left over cold weather bags in the spring. My 0* down is pertex and is less than 3# and packs smaller than a football. I got it new at an EMS store that was going out of business...$65!

geek

boarstone
12-20-2008, 09:25
I use a 30 deg bag, and made a fleece bag to "add" to it. I bought a cot blanket from Campmor, Item# 80905, I folded it in half, sewed in a sleeping bag zipper into it that I took out of an older bag no longer usable and can use the fleece for hot weather sleeping or add to the 30 deg bag for colder sleeping.

Feral Bill
12-20-2008, 12:59
I almost always use a 10 degree bag hiking out west. In the winter I double bag. I have no trouble using the warmer bag in warm weather as a quilt. As others have said, The Whites can get plenty cold even in mid summer. Go warm!

Tinker
12-20-2008, 13:07
A fleece bag liner is a single purpose item (unless you get one with a foot opening so you can wear it around camp).
If you're going to carry fleece for nighttime warmth, might as well make it multi-purpose and get a light weight jacket (hood is a good idea), and pants.
Fwiw: I like and use fleece garments (easier to dry than permanently shelled garments). If I use a bag liner, it will be a vapor barrier for use when I really underestimate the low temperatures. If you want to keep your bag clean, wear some clean clothing (yes, cotton's ok in the summer, but silk is better). You'll be the envy of your travelling companions. ;)

Tinker
12-20-2008, 13:17
I forgot to ask, what exactly did you get for a bag?
A couple of other things I thought of are:
1) Does the bag have a side block baffle, in other words, could you shake the down from the bottom to the top on cold nights and the reverse on warm nights? Being able to do that is almost like having 2 bags.
2) Are you a ground sleeper? If so, you can save some weight by either using a quilt (not my idea of the perfect solution), or using a bag with a sleeping bag pad in the bottom half, eliminating the need for insulation there which will only get crushed into uselessness when you lie on it. Either way, my earlier post about wearing clothing stands. :)

4eyedbuzzard
12-20-2008, 14:26
Ok so I have ordered the 40 degree bag. But this morning I was looking online again and I found a 15 degree bag for about 30 more bucks. The only things are 1. this bag weighs 3 lbs rather than the 19 oz. of the 40 degree bag. and 2. it's a synthetic not a down

What should I do:confused:

I can easily make the exchange. But I just want to be sure about it. Any advice???

You can start with the 40 but be prepared to sleep in your long base layer, socks, and hat in higher elevations in ME, NH, and VT even in summer months. It can get pretty cold here in NE at night especially towards the end of summer in Sept. You'll likely want to go to a 20 or lower rated bag sometime in Sept depending upon how far south you've progressed.

theinfamousj
12-22-2008, 16:37
FWIW I only have one bag and it is a 0* bag. I'm an EXTREMELY COLD sleeper. In the southern summer I just open it up and use it as a loose blanket. I tuck the quilt tighter and tighter as the temperatures drop and in the winter (I'm mostly a winter backpacker) I use the bag as a full-on mummy.

I always use a cotton bag liner to keep my bag clean, if nothing else.

If you are going to shell out the $$ for a 0* bag, I just wanted to let you know that you can use it in the summer. Chances are you'll kick it off, but that's because you are plenty warm otherwise.

Chicken Feathers
12-25-2008, 20:37
I am starting my SOBO on July 1st 2009...just curious what rating sleeping bag I would be safe with.

I found a super deal on a 40 + down bag but I don't think that will be warm enough...

Any thoughts? I do not know temp in the North. But by the time you get to the Smokies you will probably run into snow and you still have 235 miles to go. I would have someone mail me a 15-20 degree bag sometimes in October Just my 2 cents worth.:banana

Pickleodeon
12-26-2008, 19:40
A fleece liner would be more bulky and heavy than a silk liner, but I think it would be warmer. I haven't decided if I'll be taking mine along yet, and more experienced hikers will probably have better advice on whether the weight/bulk is worth it, but I'm a super cold sleeper. I'm nobo in March and got a 15 degree.