PDA

View Full Version : Trail Magic on the AT - Need info for article

Willie Johnson
04-11-2004, 14:22
Hello, out there in thru-hiker land. My name is Willie Johnson and I am not a thru-hiker. I am a freelance writer/photographer doing an article on trail magic on the AT. The article will be submitted to publications like Backpacker Magazine for possible publication.

I would very much appreciate your feedback on the following questions: (1) What is your trail name and when did you thru-hike the AT? (2) What is your definition of trail magic? (3) What is your most unique, unusual example of trail magic? (not the picnic at trail intersections or a ride to town). (4) What limits, if any, would you place on trail magic for the giver or reciever of trail magic? For example, is it ok to bring food to shelters?

By responding to these questions, you are giving your consent for the possible use of the info in the article.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks. Willie Johnson

Hammock Hanger
04-11-2004, 16:41
Hello, out there in thru-hiker land. My name is Willie Johnson and I am not a thru-hiker. I am a freelance writer/photographer doing an article on trail magic on the AT. The article will be submitted to publications like Backpacker Magazine for possible publication.
I would very much appreciate your feedback on the following questions: (1) What is your trail name and when did you thru-hike the AT? My name is Hammock Hanger, I went thru in 2001 & 2002 (2) What is your definition of trail magic? Unexpected help from a local that enhanced my trip (3) What is your most unique, unusual example of trail magic? I was hitching in PA to a hostel that was suppose to be up the road. A husband and wife stopped to pick me up. When we got the 4 miles down the road we found the hostel to be closed. They asked me what I was going to do. I said I was bummed because I really wanted a shower but that was life on the trail and I could deal with it. They offered to drive me the four miles back up the road to where they had picked me up. Just as he was pulling over to the side of the road I saw the wife look at him and he at her. You know that silent kind of talk between couples. Next thing I knew they were inviting me to there home for dinner, a shower and a soft bed. I gratefully accepted. The shower was hot, the food was fantastic, all homemade! The bed was very nice, it was there daughters room that was away at college. Next morning they cooked me a real homemade breakfast. First time I ever had eggs straight frm the hen house. After breakfast they returned me to the trail. Now that was excelent trail magic!(not the picnic at trail intersections or a ride to town). (4) What limits, if any, would you place on trail magic for the giver or reciever of trail magic? For example, is it ok to bring food to shelters? I was in a shelter once when a man brought what he considered to be trail magic, a gallon jug of Jack Daniels. Some of the hikers, especially the younger ones don't realize that your dehydrated body soaks up the alcohol like a sponge and a few got really drunk, really fast. Some were under age. I'm no prude but I think we could have done without this.

By responding to these questions, you are giving your consent for the possible use of the info in the article. A-okay. Sue/HH
xxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx xxxxx

attroll
04-11-2004, 18:12
You can also look at this list of threads talking about Trail Magic.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?searchid=68741