PDA

View Full Version : Crafting the ultimate FT guidebook

floridahikes
12-15-2008, 21:23
Hey, gang,
I pretty much have free rein on the next edition of the Florida Trail Official Guide. I can scrap the existing one and start from scratch, build on what we've got, or ... as folks at FTA have suggested ... merge it with the Companion Guide for Long Distance Hikers somehow. I'd love to have your feedback on where to start. Keep in mind that it doesn't all have to be in print, some of it could reside online for instant updating. It could also be available to download for iPod or cell phone. If you were planning a guidebook to the FT, what elements would you absolutely, positively want in it? Better to break mileage charts out from the narrative? Better to put in extremely detailed town maps? Give it some thought. I have a few weeks before I need to bring a proposal to the table, and I know most folks who buy the guide are day hikers and section hikers. Just sayin'.

Cheers, Navigator

Dialeight44
12-15-2008, 21:42
I am starting my AT thru-hike late March, 2009, and I would be more than happy to hike a part or parts of the trail for your efforts as part of my shakedown hikes after Christmas. Let me know if you would like any help.

Dialeight44

ps. I am in Tampa.

eArThworm
12-15-2008, 22:41
...If you were planning a guidebook to the FT, what elements would you absolutely, positively want in it?...
I'll give it some more thought, but right off the top of my head I'm thinking make it like the ALDHA guidebook for the AT.

floridahikes
12-15-2008, 22:58
eArThworm ... As in ... spiral bound? Tall and thick?

Dialeight44, I like the idea of field editors. There's only so much I can get to in a season without becoming a thru-hiker (wish that the budget would allow that!). I'm working on relos and my personal gaps in narrative this go-round. I can share the list with you, see if any of these particular spots I need to hit interest you.

BumpJumper
12-16-2008, 21:49
Detailed trail towns sounds nice.:sun

Tinker
12-16-2008, 22:19
FT profile map might look something like this:

_______________________________________^__________ _____
-----------------------------------------(overpass)
:)

Jeff
12-17-2008, 08:43
eArThworm ... As in ... spiral bound? Tall and thick?

No... It would be great for the pages to fit into a quart size ziplock bag. Some like the perforated tear out pages.

Gray Blazer
12-17-2008, 20:20
Who has the guide? What's the mileage from Highway 129 to Camp Branch?

Mercy
12-17-2008, 21:06
Water availability that you can find without reading through all the other info.

bigmac_in
12-17-2008, 23:17
Maybe you can list the AYCE joints for FL hikers with healthy appetites.

jnetx
12-18-2008, 09:48
Who has the guide? What's the mileage from Highway 129 to Camp Branch?

6.2 miles from the blue blaze junction round the sinkholes to US 129. If I recall correctly is was approx a mile, maybe 1 1/4 from the parking at Camp Branch to the sinkholes. It's not blazed, but fairly obvious from the parking to the sinkholes, but not intuitive from the sinkholes to the parking.

Let me know if I can help more.

Gray Blazer
12-18-2008, 09:58
6.2 miles from the blue blaze junction round the sinkholes to US 129. If I recall correctly is was approx a mile, maybe 1 1/4 from the parking at Camp Branch to the sinkholes. It's not blazed, but fairly obvious from the parking to the sinkholes, but not intuitive from the sinkholes to the parking.

Let me know if I can help more.

Thanks. That is a really nice section. I hiked there and back. The bulldog at Devil's Mountain is a wuss.

MOWGLI
12-18-2008, 09:59
I'll give it some more thought, but right off the top of my head I'm thinking make it like the ALDHA guidebook for the AT.

Not a bad idea,but I don't think the trail has the users necessary to make a guide like that feasible.

I would focus more on the gateway communities and places where hikers could kick back. Seems to me, hiking could be part of a larger trip to the state. Your bread & butter will be the section hiker, Suggestions for 3, 5 & 7 day backpacking trips - with recommended activities in the area (paddling, birding, fishing, etc..).

Plus ideas for great day hikes. Especially loop hike opportunities.

jnetx
12-18-2008, 10:17
The bulldog at Devil's Mountain is a wuss.

You were lucky to only get one dog. There were six when we hiked thru, at least a couple of them were pitbulls, and the owner was up on his deck urging the dogs on, not away! The dogs were already agitated when we got there as a canoe group had just passed by on the river. The advance barking at least let us know we were coming up on them, and we were fortunate there were two of us, so the dog's attentions were split. My hiking partner did have to pepper spray them before they backed off enough to let us through though. :eek:

Gray Blazer
12-18-2008, 11:28
You were lucky to only get one dog. There were six when we hiked thru, at least a couple of them were pitbulls, and the owner was up on his deck urging the dogs on, not away! The dogs were already agitated when we got there as a canoe group had just passed by on the river. The advance barking at least let us know we were coming up on them, and we were fortunate there were two of us, so the dog's attentions were split. My hiking partner did have to pepper spray them before they backed off enough to let us through though. :eek:

He had two friends. My dog was really good and did not react. I had to raise my hiking stick and yell 'git'. Prolly thanks to hikers like your friend with the pepper spray the dogs may be a little hiker shy. They still put up a big fuss.

floridahikes
12-18-2008, 11:40
Gray Blazer: Hwy 129 bridge to Camp Branch = 5.9, + 0.8 to walk up the blue blaze to the trailhead at Camp Branch. From data book. Been there, done that. Nice hike. Love the blue-blazed loop at Camp Branch, too.

BumpJumper
12-26-2008, 16:41
Where is Camp Branch?

jnetx
12-26-2008, 19:00
Where is Camp Branch?

On the Suwannee between White Springs and Suwannee Music Park (US129)

BumpJumper
12-26-2008, 20:24
Near where the FTA conference is to be held?

floridahikes
12-26-2008, 21:31
Yes. Camp Branch is about 18 miles west of Stephen Foster by trail.

genxrex
12-29-2008, 12:56
We encountered the hell beast at the bottom of Devils Mountain! There were three dogs with the lil bull dog being the agitator. The old man on the porch is was a scum bag and did nothing to reign in his dogs. The lil one pounced on again about half way up the hill and almost got the business end of my stick! After reading about similar adverse encounters I will contacting the animal control office and making a complaint. Even a dog that does not bite can cause a terrible fall on that section. I placed a informal call into the Hamilton County Sheriffs Dept to make them aware of this hazard to hikers.

genxrex
12-29-2008, 13:06
On the topic of the Guide Book:

We use the pocket data book rather then a GPS to track our progress. Perhaps a digital version (PDF) could be created that could print out just what you need for the section you are planning. Kinda like a one stop shop. We found that the MySuwanneeRiver site had great maps of the FT available in day sized chunks:

http://www.mysuwanneeriver.com/DocumentView.asp?DID=117

I would gladly pay per section (3 day chunks) as much as $10.00 for highly detailed maps, mileage, water sources, and good campsites.

I like the idea of the grab and gos but they do not have quite enough info for my info junky needs. And the current $5.00 maps are to small of a scale to hike from.

I would not like to have to buy the whole trails worth of data as we just cherry pick the one we want to do.

Just some thoughts,
Joel

GeneralLee10
12-29-2008, 14:05
It would be nice to get the maps online just the sections one would like. More detail as far as water,resupply, & mileage, the map I just got is not good for detail at all kinda feel like it was a waste of money. Guess that's why you need the data book more cost and one more item to carry. Is there any way you can put all info on maps off to the side with the legend. I don't think the surrounding area on the map other than the trail is a concern unless it is a resupply,water or point of interest. Than you could get your Grab and Go Hikes all on one page same size you have now. Now that would be a big seller (I think) plus it could save on paper waste thinking Green right FTA!

floridahikes
01-05-2009, 08:43
I like the idea of downloadable sections for a fee. That way they could be kept current more easily. Will discuss with the bigwigs and see what comes of it. I just know whatever I do they don't want cutting into map sales ... which could also be downloadable at this point. Lndwlkr, the maps used to have the data off to the side and then they put it in the data book so two maps could fit on one piece of paper. It would make sense to synch the downloadable section with a map. I think I'll make a sample based on last week's backpacking trip and run it by the FTA office, see what happens.

Cheers, Navigator

Worldwide
01-05-2009, 09:34
No need for a FT guide. Just carry a Nat Geo road atlas. The highlights of the FT are the road walks or is it the brackish water sources? Maybe it is the chest deep Everglades swamp reminded me too much of Ranger school for my liking.

genxrex
01-05-2009, 10:44
I like the idea of downloadable sections for a fee. That way they could be kept current more easily. Will discuss with the bigwigs and see what comes of it. I just know whatever I do they don't want cutting into map sales ... which could also be downloadable at this point. Lndwlkr, the maps used to have the data off to the side and then they put it in the data book so two maps could fit on one piece of paper. It would make sense to synch the downloadable section with a map. I think I'll make a sample based on last week's backpacking trip and run it by the FTA office, see what happens.

Cheers, Navigator
I found that the maps of Suwannee WMD were much more detailed then the official FTA maps. The PDF we downloaded were just about 1 day/10 miles and we printed other info we needed on the reverse side (such as the revelant trail data book pages) of the 8x11 sheet and just burned yesterdays maps in the fire, to reduce my pack weight of course:-)!!!

BumpJumper
01-07-2009, 22:52
Sandy, I love the look of your new site. Pretty cool.

floridahikes
01-13-2009, 00:10
Thanks, BJ. I was tired of the old forum being so tough to wade through. I messed around with a couple of options this summer and finally decide to go with this one because I wanted to share my backpacking photos with the rest of the group. More overhaul to the main website soon! The new forum lets you upload photos, videos, write your own blog posts, post activities, ask questions, connect with friends, all kinda like Facebook. It's at http://my.floridahikes.com

Cheers, Navigator

BumpJumper
01-13-2009, 05:34
I certainly do appreciate it. Thanks for the hard work.

genxrex
03-03-2009, 13:22
Did you get anywhere with the big wigs? This might be a good topic for the upcoming conference. I am becoming frustrated trying to plan adventures and this type of guide would be a well worth the money to me. I think it is important to simplify the process of planning and getting out the door. I like the grab and go hikes on the site, but they seem more geared to small mileage.

I had a few more thoughts on what to include on a section based E-Guide Zip file:
A MP3 podcast discussing trivia or highlights for each section (in a call in show format?).
Parking and transport options such as the availability cabs/portage services with contact #/websites.
The pertinent GPX/FML files for GPS users with waypoints for recommended primitive camps, start/finish trail heads, water sources, etc...
Photo Gallery of that section.

floridahikes
03-09-2009, 00:40
Doubt I will square it away before the conference, but am planning to talk at length to folks about it while there. I like your ideas!