PDA

View Full Version : what kinda gloves?

dmax
12-15-2008, 22:28
I'm looking to change the gloves I use while hiking. Right now I use a thin pair of fleece. They are comfortable, but wear out quick.

I would like to go to something that is wind/water resistent. I also don't want them to be too bulky. I use lekis so I am also looking for durability in the palms.

Does anybody have any ideas for me?

hnryclay
12-15-2008, 22:33
I have some expensive, and nice Mountain Hardware windblocker gloves, but they keep my hands no warmer then cheap rag wool gloves that can be bough at walmart. I pair either with some mist over mitts, which are waterproof, and weigh next to nothing.

dmax
12-15-2008, 22:44
Are the over mitts durable enough for hiking with poles?

JAK
12-15-2008, 23:50
There are wool gloves with a sort of rubbery netting that fishermen use. I find them a bit clumsy. Sometimes you can find a better fitting pair for sailing, wool with little rubbery dimples. The dimples wear off, but they might still be ok for use with a hiking stick. Even though they are not waterpoof they are warm when wet and you need something that breathes really well if you want to keep them on. Hiking in bare hands as much as you can is a good thing to do also, to toughen them up and get them used to cold. I suppose this is one advantage for a single hiking staff, as you can switch hands, and warm up your free hand in a deep pocket.

snowhoe
12-15-2008, 23:53
I got a great pair from home depot they are fleeced lined and all leather outside. They work great and were only $28.00.

JAK
12-15-2008, 23:56
I've tried various gloves for cold weather sailing and don't like most of them.
http://www.layline.com/category/692

The leather palmed ones in particular are actually colder than bear hands. Neoprene works, but is only neccessary and comfortable when its really cold. The most comfortable and functional pair was a wool pair that were made especially for sailing. They are knit in a way that makes them not want to slip off when wet. They had a little rubber in them for grip, but they were warm without being all that thick. They might have been a wool/nylon blend. I can't seem to find a pair online just now.

hnryclay
12-15-2008, 23:59
Are the over mitts durable enough for hiking with poles?

Yes, BUT you probably will not need them while hiking. I only use them in heavy rain, or if I have to dig in the snow. The wool gloves are warm enough without the over mitts. http://www.ula-equipment.com/mist.htm YMMV this system works great for me. BTW the wool gloves I bought cost around $10.... My windbocker Mtn Hardware gloves were $40..

Wags
12-16-2008, 10:25
i like fingerless wool gloves from the local army/navy store. $5

Manwich
12-16-2008, 10:30
I use Fingerless Convertible Mittens. They're like fingerless gloves but a mitten component that folds over the fingers can be velcro'd back so you can use all 5 fingers.

Sadly, I don't know where to buy them...

I found a lefty one Hanging on a tree on the AT near Salisbury CT, took it to pack it out, then when I got home I happened to find a righty one discarded on the sidewalk in front of my house. Gave them a wash and have been usin them since.

One of them I think is a North Face... the other has no label whatsoever.

Cabin Fever
12-16-2008, 12:33
Full finger mountain biking gloves work great. They make some for winter with padded palms. The padded palms help with blisters or such from hiking poles. REI carries a pot load of them.

Tinker
12-16-2008, 12:50
http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&product_id=527535

I used these with my hiking poles through the Hundred Mile Wilderness in Sept. They are windproof and water resistant. When they get wet, they're still warm enough while you're hiking down into the low 40's high 30's. When you stop, they get cold at these temps. They are very durable and I use them on my mountain and road bikes as well as on my motorcycle when temps are above 40.

Blissful
12-16-2008, 13:07
I just used some polartec ones I picked up at close out at Lands End, worked fine for me.

coldspring
12-16-2008, 13:28
I use Fingerless Convertible Mittens. They're like fingerless gloves but a mitten component that folds over the fingers can be velcro'd back so you can use all 5 fingers.

Sadly, I don't know where to buy them...

I noticed Wally World had some fleece ones. I can't recall the price, but it was less than $10. I have to buy stuff there, or order it. I'm thinking about trying their $16 baselayer zip-top shirt branded Starter. Might be better than Capilene for all I know.

dmax
12-16-2008, 16:40
Do the wool gloves/mittens wick the sweat off of the hands?
Are liner gloves durable enough to hike in? Then while at camp put a thicker pair over?

Alligator
12-16-2008, 17:11
I use a pair of windblocker fleece convertible mitts in the colder seasons. Unfortunately, they do not appear to be listed anymore at Campmor:(. The mitt part folds back and is held in place by velcro. They are really quite nice to hike in and for around camp as well. The thumb also has a removable cover, it is great for use with a lighter.

I also have a pair of overmitts and plain fleece mitts. The overmitts usually are durable enough to hike it (mine are totally). I find though that they are a lot of mitt for the southern AT. I generally do not use my overmitts as I have the above convertibles as well. I personally carry two pairs of gloves in the winter as I find that the pair being used to hike in can get wet.

Late Spring/Summer I carry a pair of light fleece gloves
Early spring and Fall I carry the convertible pair.
Winter I carry both the convertible pr. and the mitts plus shell.

Wags
12-16-2008, 18:22
be wary though that polypro and other synthetics will melt. be cautious around the fire

Mags
12-16-2008, 21:17
I'm also in the ragg wool gloves (army surplus ones) with the ULA shell mitts.

Works rather well for most 3 season hiking. Heck, I use the ragg wool gloves throughout the year. In winter, I use a heavier shell.

The liners WILL wear out after a bit. I go through about 2-3 pairs a year (this includes skiing almost every winter weekend, hiking almost every weekend, too). But at less than $5 pr, I find it is worth it. Like all wool, they work quite well when damp (i.e. a little bit of sweat)

YMMV.

gaga
12-16-2008, 21:34
try shopping in Ross or Marshalls they have a ton of gloves of different makers, hats, socks,hiking trail runners- sometimes, crocs, wicking base layers...

Tinker
12-16-2008, 22:24
be wary though that polypro and other synthetics will melt. be cautious around the fire

So true! And they continue to melt while you try desperately to remove (with poor results) the molten glob from your blistering dermis with the other gloved hand. Hopefully there's snow on the ground............:rolleyes:

Been there :o.

Caveman of Ohio
12-16-2008, 22:26
I think this is perfect

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28155872/

shelterbuilder
12-16-2008, 22:26
... Neoprene works, but is only neccessary and comfortable when its really cold....

I started hiking with neoprene gloves last year, after surgery left me with nerve damage to 1 1/2 fingers on my right hand. Bought a cheap pair from Wal-Mart (Fishing Dept.) - I think that they were about $15. They seem to be very durable, but be warned: your hands WILL sweat inside the gloves, and when you take them off, you will need some way to dry them out for the next day (I dry mine on my chest overnight in my sleeping bag). Also, if you take them off and then try to put them back on again, it will be difficult, since the insides of the gloves will be damp and will not slide easily.