PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried the MSR Missing Link

2XL
04-11-2004, 14:31
Does anyone have any experience with this shelter? I know its new for this year, but hoping somebody could give their opinion. I am considering a Tarptent Squall or Missing Link and I have heard nothing but good things about the Squall.

2XL

steve hiker
04-11-2004, 16:28
Does anyone have any experience with this shelter?
Is that the "hidden shelter" in NJ?

2XL
04-11-2004, 16:34
No, I should have proof read my post. I am looking for somebody that has tried a new tent/tarp shelter from MSR. I was originally going to title the thread something different.

firefly
04-12-2004, 15:51
I purchased a MSR Missing Link but I returned it. The tent alone weighs 3 lbs. It requires 8 stakes to pitch tightly and it also requires the heavier 3 section treking poles. This moves the weight of the tent up to around 5 lbs. That weight and the cost of buying the longer treking poles at $100 were my reasons for returning it. BUT I am a very short small female section hiker with a bad back. I go as ultralite as possible and I was looking for a solo shelter. I do not always carry treking poles. I prefer to sleep in a hammock but was checking out a cold weather alternative. This tent is terriffic. It is a good design..very spacious and the carport is awsome. If you buy it deviate from the directions a little and put the bottom of the treking poles into the stake slots. This keeps the treking pole from getting kicked or knocked out and this angle actually pitches the tent the tightest. I would also reccomend buying better stakes than the ones included.

Grimace
05-14-2004, 16:47
Saw one set up at a store here in Boston. It looks pretty cool. Huge inside, 3 lbs. I read a couple initial reports on the that gear test website but there are limited field entries. Is it just too new of a product. Anyone have first hand knowledge. It's 2 lbs lighter and much larger than the MH Approach I use now for 2 people.

Fire Fly it hink mentioned needing special,long hiking poles to use to set up the tent. I use Leki Makalu's and I'm 6'2". I'm guessing I already have the right ones?

tarbubble
05-17-2004, 15:24
the testers over on BackpackGearTest should all have their Field Reports up within the next week or so, but you can contact any of them to ask questions about how the tent has performed so far. i am also a tester for BGT (but i'm not testing the Missing Link) and i am always happy to answer questions about the gear i have reviewed.

firefly
05-20-2004, 15:26
If your treking poles have 3 adjustable sections to them then you are ok...some of us short folks use the ultralite poles that just have 2 sections. If I did carry treking poles all the time and already had the longer poles I would definitly use this for my shelter when it gets cold.