PDA

View Full Version : Survival on the AT, Earth

Tha Wookie
12-16-2008, 09:29
There are threads about TV shows that reveal survival techniques.

If have you have read "The Last American Man" then you have seen how these skills can be used on an AT hike. Interestingly, people have used the same basic technologies to survive on 6 continents and islands.

I invite you all to Caribbean Bush Skills Rendezvous in St. Croix, Mach 2009..... to learn them by hand.

http://www.visfi.org/cms/index.php/programs/skills2

http://www.visfi.org/Bushskills08/index.html :D

Manwich
12-16-2008, 09:33
Ray Mears' Extreme Survival is another good series.

Also, Survivorman.

Practically anything that doesn't involve Bare Grills is real survivor material.

Yukon
12-16-2008, 09:38
Ray Mears' Extreme Survival is another good series.

Also, Survivorman.

Practically anything that doesn't involve Bare Grills is real survivor material.

Bear Grylls is probably one of the best at surviving there is in the whole world, don't knock the guy just because you don't like his show, that's ridiculous.

Manwich
12-16-2008, 09:42
don't knock the guy just because you don't like his show, that's ridiculous.

I think his show is quite entertaining, but the stuff he does will get you killed... Extracting Water from Elephant Dung, Leaping from Rock to Rock, Jumping into a Canyon River. He makes bad situations worse and there are no valuable survival skills taught here, just "You can do this really obscure thing should you choose to not want to live very long"

JAK
12-16-2008, 09:45
That looks like alot of fun and learning without people taking themselves to seriously.
http://www.visfi.org/Bushskills08/index.html

JAK
12-16-2008, 09:47
I know its not that kind of survivor but I'd get voted off for sure. lol

Tha Wookie
12-16-2008, 10:13
While I have learned nothing particularly useful from those TV shows, the kids that I teach primitive skills to are very familiar with it. That creates a "common link" between what they see on the TV and what I can help put in their hands.

The techniques can be used on a thru-hike, without going fully primitive. For example, Ray Jardine used the bow drill to cook all his meals with his ultra-light prototype nylon gear on some of his latter PCT hikes.

The Tom Brown Tracker School is another great place to learn this stuff.

Lone Wolf
12-16-2008, 10:17
The Tom Brown Tracker School is another great place to learn this stuff.

oh jeez. :rolleyes: i was waitin' for his name to pop up

Jim Adams
12-16-2008, 10:18
The only thing that Bear teaches is how to luck out and not die in the situations that he stupidly puts himself in. Anyone really trying to survive a situation would never make the stupid mistakes that he does.

geek

Tha Wookie
12-16-2008, 10:21
oh jeez. :rolleyes: i was waitin' for his name to pop up

howdy wolf.....

Lone Wolf
12-16-2008, 10:22
howdy wolf.....

yo wook :)

Plodderman
12-16-2008, 10:23
Hope I never have to use the skills but I enjoy knowing some of them.

Tha Wookie
12-16-2008, 10:31
yo wook :)

i was waiting for your name to pop up:cool: