PDA

View Full Version : Montbell ULAP down thermal sheets

Tinker
12-16-2008, 12:22
I just bought one of these as a bag liner/summer bag. Just thought I'd post the link to a review that I read at Backpack Gear Test which seems to reflect my impressions almost exactly (but I like the color). I only tried it once since I got it a week ago, in my back yard, and it kept me reasonably warm (I slept in it for three hours on a stone patio on an old Thermarest 3/4 with a bluefoam foot pad). It was a little tight in the shoulders and hips, but very efficient because of the close fit. It got down to 30 degrees with a wind of 10-20 mph.
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Summer%20Bags%20and%20Liners/Montbell%20ULAP%20Thermal%20Sheet/Test%20Report%20by%20Carol%20Crooker/

Tinker
12-20-2008, 13:21
I felt it necessary to add to the post above:

The ULAP bag has a SIDE BLOCK BAFFLE, so you CAN'T redistribute the down from bottom to top for colder nights. Something to consider, but, as it is, the fill is sparse enough that if it didn't have the baffle, you'd be sure to get some cold spots. Oh, well, nothing's perfect. I'll update the info as I get some use of the bag in actual hiking situations.

daddytwosticks
12-21-2008, 12:55
Thanks for the info Tinker and please keep us updated. I'm thinking about getting one to use as a warm summer bag and as a liner for my WM Caribou. Anybody have any ideas as to how it will work as a liner in this particular bag? I'm worried it may not work for me (6 foot, approx 200 lbs, wide shoulders). Thanks and Happy Holidays.

Tinker
12-21-2008, 17:30
If this helps, I'm 5'10-1/2" with a 46" chest, 38" waist, and 52" around the shoulders. The bag fits me like a glove - no extra room in the torso, very little below the waist. Feet have a little wiggle room (size 11).

daddytwosticks
12-21-2008, 20:14
Thanks Tinker. I got the feeling it might be tighter than I'm used to...like one of the testers did, I could always open it up as a quilt for warm weather. How it would work as a liner for my Caribou is another question.

Tinker
03-13-2009, 23:43
I'm a little late updating, but I used this bag inside my Golite Feather-lite 40 degree bag which was wrapped around my hammock, Speer Peapod style, along with a hot water bottle and full coverage tarp, wearing a North Face Nuptse down parka with a synthetic hood at 5 degrees with a 20-30 mph wind all night on the Parade of Fools February hike. I went without it on the March hike and was cold at 10 degrees with similar windy conditions. I think it will work out to be a great summer bag as well. One pound for a semi rectangular full zip bag is pretty good.