PDA

View Full Version : Hiking pants.

cr113
12-16-2008, 14:06
What kind of pants do y'all wear when hiking? Does anyone wear sweat pants? I'm so used to wearing sweat pants that I can't stand wearing normal pants unless I'm at work. I wear a pair of sweats that is 50-50 cotton to polyester when hiking. I'd like to find a pair that is thick 100% polyester fleece with elastic cuffs. Does this exist? It seems like there are tons of shirts made with polyester fleece but not pants.

Cabin Fever
12-16-2008, 14:09
In warm weather I wear shorts, obviously. With gaiters if the trail is overgrown. In cold weather I opt for more durable materials. I have a couple pairs of Mountain Hardwear pants. Not sure on the material, but they are like a synthetic, lightweight version of Carhartts. I love them.

rpenczek
12-16-2008, 14:10
Columbia makes 100% poly fleece pants (see Campmor). I own a pair but just use them to sleep in during winter (to hot to hike in). I generally hike in nylon zipoffs as shorts during summer and as pants during the winter. I add UA long johns if its really cold (less than 15 degrees).

Serial 07
12-16-2008, 14:11
big fan of the north face convertibles...

Wilson
12-16-2008, 14:24
I'd like to find a pair that is thick 100% polyester fleece with elastic cuffs. Does this exist?
Fishing wader liner pants are just like that. Mine also have pockets.

mudhead
12-16-2008, 14:27
Be sure to get elastic cuffs. open = cold air.

Having said that, I prefer longjohns and a wind barrier.

ChinMusic
12-16-2008, 14:33
Winter or summer: REI Sahara for hiking.

Add Montbell down pants for camp in winter.

cr113
12-16-2008, 15:29
Be sure to get elastic cuffs. open = cold air.

Having said that, I prefer longjohns and a wind barrier.

I was thinking of doing that but if it gets too warm ...

beeman
12-16-2008, 15:36
Ex officio Buzz-off pants They zip off for shorts. They are treated to repel ticks and mosquitos. The treatment is pyrethrin, made from pyrethum daiseys. It stays in the pants for many many washings.

TomWc
12-16-2008, 15:43
Walmart has fleece pants with a snug cuff, they make a decent but not compress-able insulation layer.

I bought my nylon zip-off pants at goodwill. They usually have a couple of pairs that would work.

flemdawg1
12-16-2008, 15:50
Target C9 nylon pants.

Bucky Katt
12-16-2008, 16:07
I found these cool polyester work out pants from Nike for like 10 bucks (at a T.J. Max). They're great cause they're stretchy and when its really cold outside, I can wear long underwear underneath them w/o having that annoying pulling feeling, b/c the pants are somehow silky enough that they slide nicely over the long underwear.

drastic_quench
12-16-2008, 16:47
REI Sahara Convertible Pants

Slo-go'en
12-16-2008, 17:00
50-50 sweats have too much cotton in them to be quick dry. Get them wet and you'll be sorry. "Dickies" work pants at 75/35 are a good compermise and dry fairly quickly and are reasonably wind proof.

Fleece pants are nice in camp when its cold, but I wouldn't want to hike in them. I have a pair of light weight fleece pants which I sometimes use over long johns or a union suit when its really cold out - sub zero - but they also need a nylon shell over them to keep the wind out and heat in. I wore this set up mostly when I was a snow maker for Wildcat for a few months one winter...

cr113
12-16-2008, 17:44
Target C9 nylon pants.

I saw those. That's just what I was looking for. Unfortunately they didn't have my size. The elusive Medium.

Seeker
12-16-2008, 20:22
swim trunks in summer, campmor zip offs otherwise.

campmor duofold lightweight longjohns (top and bottom) as a medium-cold layer.

walmart fleece pants for a heavy layer in winter (CHEAP!)

check out your local secondhand clothing store first though... amazing what you can find... got my daughter a great fleece top (bright yellow too, so i can keep track of her) and a nice set of windproof pants for about $1 each.

Richard Snider
12-16-2008, 20:56
My all-time favorite and current are Patagonia Nylon Canvas Standup Pants. They're moderately heavy and very durable. I've worn them with a pair of Patagonia level 3 base layers in cold weather and stayed warm. They're also very comfortable in teh summer. Big, Big, Big down side though... They don't make them anymore, just the cotton version. I have a pair of Mountain Hardwear Piero pants ordered. They're more of a rock climbing/bouldering pant but they are about as rugged as the Standup and I do prefer a more sturdy pant.

In cold weather I wear a pair of Mountain Hardwear (I swear I don't work for them or am I a paid advertiser, Ha Ha, I just like the stuff) rain pants and a pair of North Face Tek100 fleece pants underneath. If it's reeeeeeeeeal cold - below 0 - I'll through on a pair of the Patagonia level 3 base layers. That being said I'm neather hot nor cold natured & I do prefer the cool to cold weather hiking/backpacking.

BitBucket
12-16-2008, 21:10
REI Sahara convertibles (bundled with IceBreaker BodyFit 200s when it is very cold or when I stop for the night)...Marmot Precip full-zips for rain protection or as a 3rd layer if needed

nitewalker
12-16-2008, 21:30
[quote=Serial 07;740787]big fan of the north face convertibles...[/quote

convertibles are the bomb if the temps are 60s or below. 70s and above would be shorts for sure. the key is to wear a quick drying synthetic underwear as your base layer....as for the sweats/fleece/polyester all of these seem to cause a sweat problem when worn for too long a duration..at least that what hapens to me but too each their own as they say.....peace:D

Tinker
12-16-2008, 22:44
I was thinking of doing that but if it gets too warm ...

If it gets too warm, roll up the legs on the wind barrier. It's on the outside unlike a vapor barrier, so it's easy.
Wind Shell is probably the more understood term.

For me, it's nylon outers all the time. Shorts in summer, zip offs in the shoulder seasons, and either zip offs in the winter or long nylon pants. Occasionally I'll wear ultralight polyester long johns underneath. When traveling above treeline or in blowing snow, I'll wear double layer ski pants with a full zip outseam to allow for ventilation.
In snowy conditions it might be a good idea to use a spray water repellant on your outer fabric for those inevitable falls.

warraghiyagey
12-16-2008, 23:35
I try to avoid pants.

Doctari
12-19-2008, 13:11
Acrilic Kilt: Late winter, spring, summer, fall, early winter.
In camp: Nylon rain pants mid winter, with nylon thight under if it gets really cold. To give an idea what I think is "really cold": My Kilt is worn down to 30 at least. Altho sometimes I do put on panty hose (Yea, it''s funny, go ahead & laugh :p) if it's windy and damp. I still wear the kilt while hiking, almost regardless of the temp / weather.

I agree that 50 / 50 cotton poly is WAY too much cotton. That's fine for around town or lounging at home, but cotton almost never dries when used for hiking. I carry 2 cotton bandannas, that is all the cotton I carry.

Mags
12-19-2008, 16:24
I'm in the dorky "Shorts with long underwear (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/component/option,com_gallery2/Itemid,36/?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=17074)" camp. More flexible for my hiking style I find. Does not feel as constrictive...and the ladies love it! ;)

The only time I wear pants is for skiing/snowshoeing.

cr113
01-08-2009, 18:17
I just received these. Just what I was looking for. Polartec fleece sweatpants with elastic cuffs. 100% polyester. Thick but light.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=22045&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=504724&feat=504724-tn&cat4=504716

sleeman13
01-08-2009, 19:17
EMS Scout Pants. Light and durable. When it gets cold, I just wear my long underwear underneath.

Mrs Baggins
01-08-2009, 20:14
Winter or summer: REI Sahara for hiking.

Add Montbell down pants for camp in winter.

Yep! I have 5 pairs of REI Sahara's and love them. Some are 5 years old and still wear really well. And I'm about to order a pair of the Montbell UL down pants for camp. :D

Mrs Baggins
01-08-2009, 20:18
Ex officio Buzz-off pants They zip off for shorts. They are treated to repel ticks and mosquitos. The treatment is pyrethrin, made from pyrethum daiseys. It stays in the pants for many many washings.

A question......:-? I have an Ex Officio Buzz Off bandana. Every time I've used it to wipe sweat from my face, my skin and eyes burn. I've washed it many many times over the years and it still burns. The bug stuff in it also seems to keep it from really absorbing sweat, moisture in general, very well. Have you had any of these problems with the pant fabric? :confused:

hnryclay
01-11-2009, 12:01
REI saharas hurry up and get them while they are on clearence regularly $55 you can get them for $14 now if you don't mind the green color.

Grinder
01-11-2009, 12:31
synthetic convertible pants. Short length towards bermuda length.
Don't leave home without them.

Grinder

JAK
01-11-2009, 12:39
Here is a list of bottom half items I have found to be useful...
I wouldn't bring it all of course, maybe 2-3 in summer, up to 4-5 in winter.
There are a couple of cotton items, but I only bring 1, and they are short.

choose 1
flannel boxer shorts
flannel boxer briefs

choose 1 or 2 or 3
long silk weight skin layer, silk or polyester 3-4oz
long light weight skin layer, wool or polyester 4-6oz
long medium weight skin layer, wool or polyester 6-7oz
long wool underwear combis, wool 16oz for top and bottom
long 100wt polyester fleece 8oz
long 200wt polyester fleece 12oz
long light loose tweed wool hiking pants 16oz

choose 1 or 2
running shorts with liner
breathable brushed nylon swim trunks with liner removed
breathable brushed nylon hiking shorts
breathable brushed nylon hiking pants 6-8oz
cheap light nylon wind pants (must be very light and packable) 3-4oz
cheap light nylon rain pants (must be very light and packable) 5-6oz

As a rule I never bring any 2 of the same item. Also, as a rule, I like to be able to wear everything at one, for the extreme, so it doesn't matter how I mix and match.

Mostly I hike in shorts. Even in winter, its usually shorts plus one long skin layer. The other layers are there for if I have to slow down or rest in extreme conditions, which add alot, expecially to legs. I normally delayer my legs first, to keep my wool sweater on, but for the extreme you need more even coverage everywhere. Hiking pants are useful mostly because it is hard to find really light wind pants and rain pants, so you might as well just go with hiking pants. Hiking pants are also very useful for bushwacking.

200wt fleece pants with shorts are also good in winter, as are 100wt fleece pants in spring/fall. As long as they stay up and have pockets. It can be very useful to be able to blouse up 100wt or 200wt fleece pants, or light wool pants, to above the knee. You want them to stay up though, without the elastic or whatever being too tight. Haven't found the wool pants I'm looking for yet. 200wt fleece pants work well.

Ramble~On
01-11-2009, 12:50
big fan of the north face convertibles...

I second that. The Paramount convertibles and the lighter weight version.

In winter I like Arcteryx Gamma AR.

mudhead
01-11-2009, 12:55
A question......:-? I have an Ex Officio Buzz Off bandana. Every time I've used it to wipe sweat from my face, my skin and eyes burn. I've washed it many many times over the years and it still burns. The bug stuff in it also seems to keep it from really absorbing sweat, moisture in general, very well. Have you had any of these problems with the pant fabric? :confused:

I have to be careful touching any clothing at the LL Bean outlet to check for size. That stuff makes my lips go numb. Like getting bug spray on them.
Contact allergy I figure. Takes about a nano-second to go from fingertip to lips sensation.

Same thing would happen using flea/tick shampoo on the dog.

Frick Frack
01-11-2009, 14:14
Mountain Hardwear Kilt in all weather with the addition of Patagonia Biostrech tights in cold weather (under 30 degrees). I'll add Mountain Hardwear R1 Fleece pants if it is single digits & less.

WILLIAM HAYES
01-11-2009, 15:57
I like Mountain hardware zip offs, railriders pants and lowe alpine tec pants

RockDoc
01-11-2009, 16:31
Second the Ex Officio synthetic convertible pants, although I soak them myself in permetherin solution (from Home Depot) if I'm going to bug country. Used them for the Maine AT with good results on 07. Also have a few other synthetic hiking pants to choose from (North Face, REI). Tend to be expensive, but work very well.

Also carry running shorts for warm weather.

Second the Icebreaker merino thermal layers for cold. Wore them for three days in a row in late Nov cold weather for the AT in PA/MD/WVA. Carried running tights for 5 day backpack in Iceland, and that felt great some days.

No cotton! None! Well, maybe a bandana.

darkage
01-11-2009, 20:19
I currently use

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/mens/apparel/bottoms/pants/pid1004206-Men-s-Guide-Zip-Off-Pant/1004206-386

I picked um up at cabelas bargain cave for $22 ... I couldn't pass um up and glad i didn't, they are light and dry stupid fast ... i haven't tried any other pairs yet ... haven't had a need, all the pockets and features in a hiking pants i've needed ... no one's mentioned them, so i thought i would.

Wags
01-12-2009, 02:05
i wear pants all year round. finding ones w/ high zips up the sides of teh ankles gives me enough venting. sometimes i wear nylon track pants like was mentioned (check any sporting goods store - you can find a million pairs). i also have a pair of the north face's convertibles that i like as well. i never zip off the legs, but rather unzip the ankle zip. i prefer this protection from ticks and poison. that said, i'm skinny so the heat doesn't bother me so much.

in the dead of summer i just wear basketball shorts

if you're worried about cuffs at the bottom throw 2 rubber bands in your pocket...

Johnny Swank
01-12-2009, 09:57
I'm in the dorky "Shorts with long underwear (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/component/option,com_gallery2/Itemid,36/?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=17074)" camp.

Seconded. I have to beat the women off me when rockin this outfit.:cool: