PDA

View Full Version : Possible resupply points

Speer Carrier
12-16-2008, 14:21
A group of us are going to be hiking between Daleville, VA. and Buena Vista, VA next May. We are planning on the hike taking seven days, so we will be traveling at a modest pace.

I plan to take enough food for the trip, but a few are wondering about places in between where they might resupply food. It looks to me like Buchanan and Big Island/Glasgow are potential spots.

Any opinions out there on these two locations as suitable or practical resupply points? Or, are we nuts to not just carry seven days worth of food?

Any ideas would be great to hear.

lonehiker
12-16-2008, 14:49
I re-supplied in Glasgow. Only took me about 10 minutes to hitch a ride. It has a Dollar General and a small grocery store. Also has a laundromat. A guy provides a shuttle service as well. Check you guidebook for his information. He charged me $5 to take me back to the T/H. I got the impression that he often times hangs-out at the T/H and at the restaurant in town.

Johnny Thunder
12-16-2008, 17:17
I agree...go with Glasgow. It has 3 reasonable stores (including a dollar store and market), a good breakfast place, and a laundromat. All centrally located. Plus, all traffic going in/out of town will be going to or from the trailhead. Also, there's dinosaurs.

I went into Buchanan this summer during a heat wave to take a break and swim in the river. Buchanan is a nice town with a library but not much for visiting hikers. The hitch into town was simple. Four of us were sitting on our packs jokingly sticking up our thumbs and we were picked up by a visiting section hiker (who, would later keep me away ALL NIGHT when he hung his hamock above my tent and howled). The hitch out was painful. Hours.

Hope that helps.

Speer Carrier
12-16-2008, 17:27
Thanks guys. I'll pass this information on.

A-Train
12-16-2008, 23:41
If you can get this guy's number, do so. The hikers I was with had a darn tough time hitching, took us about an hour into Glasgow, one of the longest hitches. We paid a guy a couple bucks to take us back up. Grocery store and minimart with subs. Nothing great, but it'll def get you to Waynesboro and certainly Buena Vista.