PDA

View Full Version : Economy driving people to the AT?

nyushka42
12-16-2008, 17:07
About a week ago, when the rumors of layoffs at my current job began to become fact, I decided that it's time for me to ditch the worries & get back on the trail. At first, it was just a though of "This would be the perfect time to go back to NC," right before I fell asleep, and it kept gnawing & growing until I've finally decided that I'll take the worries & troubles of the trail over the stress of wondering if I'll be handed a box on any given day & told to pack up my stuff & hand in my security pass. I figure now even if it does happen between now & mid-April when I intend to leave, at least I'll have a plan.

I'm wondering how many other people out there are considering/opting for the AT when they get handed their pink slip (or possibility there-of), rather than jumping into the job hunt immediately.

Ranc0r
12-16-2008, 17:44
I was laid off at the beginning of 2007. I even had continued pay for 6 months, then was eligible for unemployment. Unfortunately, getting on trail didn't occur to me until the great weather hit and I had all this free time on my hands (and NO desire to work on the house or anything productive like that). Since then I have seen the error of my ways.

I've asked the wife if, should I find myself again in a position like that, with no place to go and a paycheck in the mail anyway, would she support me going on a LDH. We're still in negotiations, and my current job is going reasonable well.

snaplok
12-16-2008, 18:35
Been out of work since the beginning of the year. Worked in construction which got hit really hard and decided to move back to NYC from Philly. With all my free time I decided to volunteer and take back up backpacking, so I'm getting my hiking legs back. If I don't find anything soon, a nice 6 month hike might do me good.

Big Suave
12-21-2008, 12:16
I just got laid off myself and am really considering my first thru hike. I've had the same job for 10 years and I figure when am I ever going to get the chance to do this again? I'm 33 and single. When you start getting into having a family and things like that, a 6 month hiatus isn't that practical. Most of my friends say I'm crazy if I don't take this opportunity.

4eyedbuzzard
12-21-2008, 15:58
Normally, I'm an arch-conservative when it comes to the idea of people giving up employment to take what I consider a 6 month vacation from the real world. And I would definitely NOT recommend quitting a stable job that would likely keep someone employed through the next few years.

But given the current economic prognosis(which isn't near as good as the Pollyanna worshipping folks who think a recovery is going to happen in mid 2009 say), I'd say that if you are out of work or get laid off, and can survive on what you have, there is little downside to going. It's probably the best opportunity many will have, given that almost no one in any sector except perhaps healthcare is highering right now. The next few years may be the perfect time for many of us to do things we wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity to do. Thru-hike, finish college, build a cabin, etc. Lots of us are going to likely have a lot of free time on our hands.

When the pink slip comes, start packing for Springer or K.

cooter
12-21-2008, 16:17
I was wondering if you all think more or less people will be on the trail this year due to the economy? The economy isn't playing a role in my decision, but it may prevent some people from quitting their jobs, or it may drive the unemployed to hike the trail? Any thoughts?

4eyedbuzzard
12-21-2008, 16:34
I'm thinking it will more likely keep people from hiking than it will help people get out there. In the end, it's still a discretionary expenditure. Even though many more may have the time, they simply won't have or won't choose to spend the money on hiking/recreation. I don't see it having a huge impact on the numbers one way or the other though.

Tinker
12-21-2008, 16:49
Being in debt and laid off pretty much means that most folks in my situation will have to hang around town and look for another job. If I had a bundle in the bank, there's no doubt I'd be headed to Georgia next March. This, however, is not the case.

LIhikers
12-21-2008, 18:28
I'm likely going to loose my job sometime in the first half of 2009. If and when it happens I'll probably try a hike from my home, east of New York City, to where my son lives in Ohio. The basic route will be to follow the Long Path north to the Finger Lakes Trail which goes west across NY's southern tier. Where the Finger Lakes Trail ends I would be able to take the North Country Trail across the north, west corner of PA to Ohio. There I'd pick up the Buckeye Trail. It would be in the neighborhood of 1000 miles, give or take. I'd really like the opportunity for a long hike, but I really like my job so I'm torn between hoping I get layed off and hoping I don't.

buckwheat
12-21-2008, 19:02
I'm definitely not a defeatist. And certainly not a survivalist. But about a year ago, I took a hard look at the economic pressures about to be visited on this country and wondered to myself how well the country would handle it.

I spent a year or two in the Boy Scouts but the ensuing years dulled the good lessons that organization teaches ... the primary one being "Be Prepared." I decided I wasn't prepared for what could happen. What might happen. Not that I think it will happen, but I think there's a good chance that having some skill at cross-country navigation couldn't hurt.

I decided that having an extra 10 pounds of useless gut hanging off of me probably would put me at a significant disadvantage should it become necessary to put my athleticism to use surviving.

I decided it was stupid that I hadn't started a fire with my bare hands since I was 10, or knew how to find a good water supply, or cook something I'd killed and cleaned myself. I decided that having a fully stocked lake full of fish less than a mile from my house was pretty useless if I didn't have a rod and tackle, and the knowledge of where the fish like to hide there.

I decided it was really dumb that I didn't have a good lightweight "Go Bag" that I could pick up, leave the house in 2 minutes, and feel confident that it contained everything I would need to survive a week in the wilderness.

I decided it was pretty moronic in this day and age with Google Earth at my fingertips not to have 3 or 4 ways to get the hell out of Dodge all mapped out in advance just in case of tidal wave, heat wave ... or worse.

This summer, I'll plant a small vegetable garden back of my house just to refresh the mind of what its like to grow what I need and to reacquire the learning. Should I find myself suddenly in need of growing my own food, I'll have a seed store in the basement at the ready.

I have no idea what's to come from the economic mess our government has visited upon us. But I can tell you this ... having a good pack; being prepared to carry it a very long distance; knowing the trail and the ins and outs of traversing it ... how can these skills not be useful to obtain, and also be fun along the way?

Tinker
12-21-2008, 19:26
Buckwheat, we may have a sick government, but it's the people in the government, not the governmental system that put us in this mess - that, and the fact that a large percentage of giant companies pay their employees too much to do too little.
Couple that with the fact that most Americans are too cheap to buy American (or smart, as the case may be with automotive and high tech items) and you have the root cause of the problem: the love of money (aka materialism). We have done it to ourselves, buying on credit until we were incapable of repaying that which we've borrowed (I'm currently working my way out of that stupid move) helped by the unbridled GREED of our lending institutions, lending to those who never intended to pay back while my interest rates go up and up (hey, my bank's got to get it from someone, why not the guy who's broke but will pay?). So here we are. We have met the enemy and he is US(a).
Read I Timothy 6:10, then verse 6. (I've been to 10, working on 6).

nyushka42
12-22-2008, 13:47
I can survive for a while without a job, simply because my parents are kind enough to let me take up a room in their house, instead of paying for an apartment (very very VERY lucky in this regard, I know). If I had my own place, there would be no way I'd be able to lose my job & go hiking for months or even just weeks on end.

My guess is that people like me who are single, have a bit of cash stashed, and not much financial obligation are more likely to head out to the trail if they get laid off, but people with kids, houses, loan payments will have to stick close to home.

lingo
12-29-2008, 19:00
When I was initially laid off last year, I discussed with some friends and family about hiking the AT. After looking into it I realized that it was too late to start my planning. I have had a few part time jobs in the last year and had no luck finding anything full time. I seem to have a lot in common with several others on here, I am 29 with no major obligations. I would say that if the economy was better this would of been something that I would of put off for many years. Hope to see you all on the trail.

trailfoot
01-03-2009, 11:34
I've come to realize in life that you can plan for everything but you have to be ready at a moments notice for anything.

Case in point you have to be in shape for the day you are given permission to hike or maybe given a pink slip unexpectedly.

I put in for a leave of absence in late 06 for an 08 hike. Little did know that I was one of 150 that would be let go. I took the opportunity to hike all winter to get in shape and then headed off to Springer.

I'd recommend hiking the AT to anyone that has lost their job. Just don't worry about things back home. Enjoy the moment!

Ron Haven
01-04-2009, 00:34
In 2008 there was talk of the year being slow for hikers,but I didn't see a difference.I worked 10 t0 14 hrs a day for 10 weeks to take care or just the north bounders, :) I hope I have the same deal in 2009.

rdsoxfan
01-13-2009, 11:17
I was laid off a yr ago and still haven't found work. I am definitely doing my first NOBO Thru due to being laid off. The economy sucks. I ended up giving up my condo in Portsmouth, NH and moving in with my sis for awhile. The more I think about it the more I know I'm supposed to be out there on the trail. Good luck to everyone in their pursuit of happiness.

Screech
01-13-2009, 11:50
When I was initially laid off last year, I discussed with some friends and family about hiking the AT. After looking into it I realized that it was too late to start my planning. I have had a few part time jobs in the last year and had no luck finding anything full time. I seem to have a lot in common with several others on here, I am 29 with no major obligations. I would say that if the economy was better this would of been something that I would of put off for many years. Hope to see you all on the trail.

Im living proof you don't need planning. From the exact moment hiking the AT popped in to my head I bought my plane ticket to Bangor about an hour later after viewing the ATC website a single time. I gave my job 2 weeks notice that night. Flew to Maine with my old boy scout gear which lasted through Maine into New Hampshire where the trail provided me with better gear through a gift. I had no idea the 100 mile wilderness even existed until I got to the trail. Heck, when I landed in Maine I had no idea how to even get to the trail. I walked around and asked. I showed up at the trail with 6 days of food, because I figured it was a fair amount to assume I need to carry. I discovered the hard way the only store once you get to the trail is Abol, and they are severely understocked for anybody but car campers.

I made it to virginia and spend about 600 bucks in total I think.

Planning is overrated, just be prepared for on the job training.

Screech
01-13-2009, 11:53
I also didn't have a guidebook until I got to Mount Washington in New Hampshire.

Once I got a Companion I was glad though. It was helpful to know where I was walking.

Skyline
01-13-2009, 12:19
This is only anecdotal and relates only to the part of the AT running through and north/south of Shenandoah National Park--but shuttle reservations through late Summer are at about the same level as they were last year at this time. These are mostly section hikers and vacationers.

In 2008, the naysayers were insisting $4/gal. gas was going to kill tourism in our area. Instead, it actually helped us as people downsized their vacations to something closer to home and less expensive (we are well situated so less than a tankful of gas is required to reach us from much of the populous East Coast and near Midwest). Those venues that increased their advertising instead of retreating benefitted the most.

I'm thinking something similar might happen in 2009, for the 90%-plus who still have jobs anyway. Many Americans will take some kind of vacation if they can. This should also help keep hikers on trails IMHO. No opinion how it would affect the number of AT thru-hikers, but they are a tiny percentage of the overall hiking population anyway.

Rockhound
01-13-2009, 12:25
Our system of government is seriously flawed. To begin fixing it, step 1. Eliminate lobbyists. How is contributing to a campaign fund any different than handing a politician a briefcase full of cash? The money is used so that he/she can get reelected and in turn gain more personal wealth and power. It's bribery plain and simple. Step 2. Eliminate earmarks. One issue, one vote. Why should someone have to decide if voting to give a community clean drinking water is a good idea because if he/she does they are also voting to spend 70 million to build a lighthouse in Kansas? Beyond this I'm open to any thoughts. As for the economy driving more people to the AT. Only the ends of the spectrum. The very rich who don't care or the very broke that have nothing to lose. The rest, if they had not already planned to hike, will most likely stay home and try to ride out the storm.

volleypc
01-13-2009, 18:05
When I was laid off the end of Oct I said if it had been a few months later I would jsut take off and hike the A.T. Well now it has been a few months and I still havent found anything. I told my parents last night I am considering it and bought "A Walk in the Woods" for my mom. She is a worrier and I figured the more she knows about the AT the less she will worry. Anyway, I am fortunate in that I have most of my gear already.. but I am going to spend this week planning it out and also going through my stuff and storage and see what I should sell to raise a little extra money.. I personally think with the economy the way it is we could see more people like me deciding to get away and hike the trail this year.

A-Train
01-13-2009, 18:29
I was laid off a yr ago and still haven't found work. I am definitely doing my first NOBO Thru due to being laid off. The economy sucks. I ended up giving up my condo in Portsmouth, NH and moving in with my sis for awhile. The more I think about it the more I know I'm supposed to be out there on the trail. Good luck to everyone in their pursuit of happiness.

Sorry to hear about the job, but it sounds like you've made the best out of a bad situation. Way to be resourceful. Enjoy the walk.

Kanati
01-13-2009, 19:02
I guess my only comment to this subject would be, if you are young, single with limited responsibilities, financially and otherwise, and would rather be hiking than working, and if there are most likely going to be layoffs where you work, then, volunteer yourself to take the layoff. By doing so several absolutes occur.

1. You now have an opening for sure to begin your hike and aren't in that
state of limbo and uncertainty.

2. You may help save somesone's job who does have responsibilities like
wife and kids, and really needs a job. And you would be doing a
wonderful thing by helping them. I will guarantee you will enjoy your
hike more. You would be kind of a trail angel, sort of.

3. What goes around, comes around.

Happy hiking. :sun

River Runner
01-13-2009, 20:42
I told my parents last night I am considering it and bought "A Walk in the Woods" for my mom. She is a worrier and I figured the more she knows about the AT the less she will worry.

:eek:

A Walk in the Woods is probably NOT the book to reassure your Mom as it was written for entertainment purposes.

Get a book from an actual thru hiker instead.

bpitt
01-13-2009, 20:53
We're going through layoffs at my place of employment now. My boss got laid off just last week. He had over 30 years of service, and was retirement eligible. I asked him what he was going to do. He said he was gonna take it easy for month, and get back into cycling. Do one of the road tour deals, ride across the state or something. I told him to take a hike, literally. He said he had thought about it.

hopefulhiker
01-13-2009, 20:58
I am actually looking forward to doing some extended sections this year on the A.T.. Thankfully I have been saving for a rainy day, so to speak, so I am really excited about getting back on the trail this year.. I think things, especially the drought situation are going to improve this year...

hopefulhiker
02-07-2009, 14:29
This recession looks worse than I thought

The line that looks like a nose dive is the number of jobs lost per month in this recession.

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/newgavel.jpg (http://www.speaker.gov/img/jobsrecessions.jpg)

Slo-go'en
02-07-2009, 14:54
And according to the news last night, the 20 to 30 year old bracket is the hardest hit.

Panzer1
02-07-2009, 16:27
If you have a job, keep it, your lucky.

If you loose your job at the start of hiking season, your lucky, go hiking.

Panzer

Ramble~On
02-07-2009, 18:17
:sun My employers invited me to take the rest of my life off !

I hope it's a long, long life. I might even have to get a job again at some point:(.

On a happy note...I get to go walk so yeah if it weren't for this current "thing" I'd probably have to work rather than hike.

As for the thread title.....no, the economy isn't driving me to the trail....a friend is gonna do that - I only live a couple counties away from Springer.

If the economy still sucks when I get to Maine...I'll find something to do until starting the PCT.

Bumshandler
02-08-2009, 11:21
I would think Ron would be most in the know about what to expect, based on his first-hand experience.

My other thought (2 per day is all I'm allowed) is that there may be an increase in 22 yr olds out there this year later in the season. If you're a graduation college senior and the job market is as bad as it's made out to be for new grads (other than for very specific majors), it is probably the best chance to go with the minimum in homefront liabilities.

What's another couple grand in debt, right? Seems like it's the American way.

Catalyst
02-08-2009, 16:00
My plans have changed from sectioning to thru-ing because I just lost most of my jobs. (I'm a freelance musician. That means when the phone rings, I go play. The phone ain't ringing- "so sorry, we have to cancel this performance, no money, blah blah"...and I was not rehired to do my annual 6 months-worth of guaranteed theatre work that would have been from July-Dec. '09 and makes up the bulk of what I live off of the rest of the year.) Time to hit the trail. I hear Maine is lovely in the fall...... and there's nothing like walkabout for doing some serious thinking. Like many others posting here, I have no mortgage, no children, and very supportive spouses :cool: who say, "Go for it- we can't wait for you to come home, but go, you need the mental health." I also paid down my credit card debt when my nostrils said the winds were changing, so that's a big burden gone. (I'm on the older side of the most painfully projected age group of 20-30 job loss window- I'm 36.) Funny, my parents always asked me through young adulthood, "When are you gonna stop f**ing around with that bassoon and get a real job!?" At least that line of questioning has long since ceased. See y'all out there... on Feb. 15, Springer & me will size each other up once again-- I can't wait!:banana

Sly
02-08-2009, 16:10
Normally, I'm an arch-conservative when it comes to the idea of people giving up employment to take what I consider a 6 month vacation from the real world. And I would definitely NOT recommend quitting a stable job that would likely keep someone employed through the next few years.

And the real world is? Have you ever hiked for 6 months? I feel the trails offer more to life than 50 weeks of work with 2-3 weeks of vacation in a keep up with the Joneses, consumer society.

Life is precious, may as well as enjoy it before it's too late.

yappy
02-08-2009, 17:16
I have never had a mortgage until recently, no kids, just 2 yrs married to someone who doesn't hike. I can see both sides. when I didn't have the mortgage it was all about hiking .. why not ? make enough go hike. But, my life has changed and so have my priorities. I can't just go whenever I feel like it now. I am responsible for more then just me. Thankfully Brad will continue to work while I am out hiking... lucky LUCKY me. For most of us our lives get a bit more complicated when we get older. I have joined that group... whether I like it or not. I used to define myself as a long distance hiker, prided myself on that.. I have more going on now. That is just the way it is.

max patch
02-08-2009, 17:40

You are correct.

MOWGLI
02-08-2009, 17:42
You are correct.

How is an OPINION like that "correct." :p

Bidwell
02-12-2009, 19:04
:eek:

A Walk in the Woods is probably NOT the book to reassure your Mom as it was written for entertainment purposes.

Get a book from an actual thru hiker instead.

My mom read this book and she is now way more open to the fact that I want to thru in 2010. She knows it was written for entertainment purporses, but I think it eases her.

SunnyWalker
02-13-2009, 00:47
Use that Stimulus check to hike the AT.

sloopjonboswell
02-13-2009, 02:39
whar's MA guv'ment hikin check?

sloopjonboswell
02-13-2009, 03:12
i'm gonna say this about 'stimulus checks'.. i hope this administration has has better plans than just giving me $300.

Grampie
02-13-2009, 10:00
I guess if you loose your job, can't find another one and have wanted to thru-hike, it would be a good opertunity. You should be able to live on the trail cheaper than you can live off it. Just remember, before you decide to hike, you will still need money. You will need about $100 a week just to exist.

Nearly Normal
02-13-2009, 11:59
i'm gonna say this about 'stimulus checks'.. i hope this administration has has better plans than just giving me $300.

If the government would "rescue" me from my debt it would stimulate me to buy more stuff.
Their giving the money to the wrong people.

sloopjonboswell
02-14-2009, 03:02
If the government would "rescue" me from my debt it would stimulate me to buy more stuff.

exactly what i'm sayin. lets hope the new administration has a better plan.

Desert Reprobate
02-14-2009, 03:13
My Tundra will be driving me to the trail next year.

buckwheat
02-14-2009, 08:04

Yep, they have a better plan.

They're going to give you $13 a week instead so's you can't spend it all in one place.

Change.

GeneralLee10
02-14-2009, 10:28
I mite be on the path soon myself. My boss has landed a job for the Military had to cut his price in half to get the damn work. Then tells us you guys I can't afford to pay you OT or ride time on this one guys. Now you tell me a drive from FL to AL and not get paid both ways and no OT while where there. The funny thing is the people were doing the work for work 10 hr days no if ands or butts. So will we, but not getting payed for it how do you like that work for free just to keep Job. This is the $#!^ that pisses me off a multi million dollar Company and they can't pay OT HA! I am sure an Attorney would love this for a case plenty of money to gain for them.

4eyedbuzzard
02-14-2009, 11:42
And the real world is? Have you ever hiked for 6 months? I feel the trails offer more to life than 50 weeks of work with 2-3 weeks of vacation in a keep up with the Joneses, consumer society.

Life is precious, may as well as enjoy it before it's too late.

The real world is the one where you have to provide food, shelter, and all that for yourself. Exactly how does one do that soley on the AT? You spend money on the AT, you don't generate income or create it while you're hiking. Unless you're a panhanding bum or somehow "live off the land", the AT isn't the real world. It's a retreat from it.

BTW, I don't think 50 on, 2 off is much of a life either. Nor do I think "keeping up with the Joneses" is good either. But realistically, you can't just go hiking for 50 weeks a year and make enough money in 2 weeks to live on the trail.

There's a balance. And that balance is different from person to person. 6 months off a year would help... Some hiking, some golf, some fishing...

Rockhound
02-14-2009, 20:19
If you make $3000 a week for 2 weeks that's $6000 divided by 50 = $120 a week to live on while hiking. What's so unrealistic about that?

River Runner
02-14-2009, 21:55
If you make $3000 a week for 2 weeks that's $6000 divided by 50 = $120 a week to live on while hiking. What's so unrealistic about that?

Most people who aren't in the workforce for 50 weeks and suddenly decide to work for 2 weeks aren't going to be making in the neighborhood of $3000 a week (even if you work 60 hours that's still $50/hr). That's what's unrealistic about it. Well, that and the fact that Uncle Sam and the state are going to get their share, so that will leave you short by a good bit.

hopefulhiker
02-14-2009, 21:56
There are some limited work for stay at various hostels... I know I did that up in the huts in the Whites...

Rockhound
02-14-2009, 22:07
Most people who aren't in the workforce for 50 weeks and suddenly decide to work for 2 weeks aren't going to be making in the neighborhood of $3000 a week (even if you work 60 hours that's still $50/hr). That's what's unrealistic about it. Well, that and the fact that Uncle Sam and the state are going to get their share, so that will leave you short by a good bit.
You sound like a cup 1/2 empty kind of person. It is only unrealistic if you look at the all reasons it wont work. Some people choose to work 50 weeks and vacation for 2 others choose to work for 2 and vacation for 50

outlaws
02-15-2009, 09:03
You sound like a cup 1/2 empty kind of person. It is only unrealistic if you look at the all reasons it wont work. Some people choose to work 50 weeks and vacation for 2 others choose to work for 2 and vacation for 50

I choose to work 2 and vacation 50 weeks...but am forced to work 50 and vacation 2 weeks:D

Rockhound
02-15-2009, 11:23
So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key.

BearII
02-17-2009, 18:54

While I can see your point for some folks there are many of us out here that can work as independent consultants. When I choose to work they pay me $1000/day. I work on those projects at my discretion from less than a week to up to a month.

On top of that there are many of us that can still earn money even when we are not working through our investments vehicles like interest, dividends, option plays, etc. There is "always a way" for those of us with a positive attitude and determination!

So while some will sit back and say it can't be done, I'll just be out there doing it! :sun

Rockhound
02-17-2009, 20:02
Everybody should be able to hike now. The govt. is giving us $13 a week. Spent wisely you could survive nicely. 14 packs ramens, some vienna sausages, oatmeal, and some gorp. A weeks supply of food with a couple bucks left over. I don't know why everyone doesn't quit their jobs right now and just live off their stimulus check.

johnnybgood
02-17-2009, 22:40
Stop tempting me rockhound . Your making more sense than my boss. Ramin noodles...umm umm good.

datachomper
02-18-2009, 15:45
I'm going because:
A) I was just laid off and now I have time for myself
B) I'm sick of living under the controlling thumb of the mighty dollar. Maybe the tail will help me find myself again.

Vagrant Squirrel
03-01-2009, 18:00
I'm going for many reasons, but as for the financial situation my reasoning is simple... I got divorced, lost my job, my car died a horrible death, I'm living with the rents temporarily and have just enough money to go hiking. It's something I've always wanted to do and it seems like the cheapest way to sustain myself for the next 4-6 months without having to depend on anyone else. When I get to Maine I will essentially be broke and homeless, but at least I will have worked REALLY hard to get that way, lol!

Blue Jay
03-01-2009, 20:15

What are you talking about, they're giving your money to rich people just like always. Since we only vote for rich people what the hell do you expect. You wanted it, you got it, Toyota.

Pedaling Fool
03-06-2009, 12:09
exactly what i'm sayin. lets hope the new administration has a better plan.
Their plan is to appease China by not pestering them anymore on human rights issues. (http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/21/clinton.china.asia/)

"Successive administrations and Chinese governments have been poised back and forth on these issues, and we have to continue to press them. But our pressing on those issues can't interfere with the global economic crisis, the global climate change crisis, and the security crisis," she told reporters in Seoul, South Korea.

Curmudgeon
03-18-2009, 20:02
I was laid off in December and haven't had any luck finding a job. I did get one interview but learned last week that they decided not to fill the position due to the poor economy. Fortunately, I'm still drawing severance pay. I'm hoping the economy improves by the time I finish.

CountinPlaces
03-27-2009, 14:39
I guess I was in just the opposite position.

It was my intention to thru-hike this year,but I was given an early exit from my employer. That had some complications (long story), but still kept me on track with my hike. Then I get a call about another position...yada, yada, yada...... I accept, and was too quickly back to work.

The positive is that it enables me to better my financial position. I suppose that is something that everyone should carefully consider. Failing to prepare for your financial future, even when it hurts other ambitions, is extremely unwise. Of course, some folk have no choice about being out of work.

For now I live vicariously through the journal entries of others.

Live your life like you are on the trail. Do not expect the help of others. Just be very grateful when you receive it.

hopefulhiker
03-27-2009, 15:37
I was really planning to get out and hike this year... Since I have been forecasting dooim for about two years now... I have also been saving cash....

I just bought a foreclosed home at auction for half price! Now I am going to have to get this place fixed up and ready to rent... I hope it will provide more income for retirement and more hiking in the future.. Long live Capitalism!

RM&GH
03-29-2009, 22:03
There was a story in the Travel section of the Washington Post this morning - about the economy being a great motivator to "just do it" this year!

TD55
03-30-2009, 16:56
Has anyone noticed a larger than normal influx of homeless people on the trail recently?

RockDoc
03-30-2009, 19:35
I would hate to be out of work now, and have to read and listen to all the bad economic news, day after day, month after month. The media is having a feeding frenzy. I run a small business, and just had my best year ever. I'm going to close it to section hike for a few weeks.

It makes sense to watch out for your mental health and do something positive, healthy, social, and challenging. What could be better than a long hike? Another plus is that it can be cheaper than living at home.