PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty getting to the Trail

Bumpa
12-16-2008, 18:42
As a section hiker who drives down from Canada to do three or four weeks on the A.T. once or twice a year...I am aware of difficulties getting to where you want to hike. This Fall took the cake.

I crossed into the U.S of A. in late October at Detroit. I ran into a zealous, junior border agent. The traffic is backed up 20 or 30 cars behind me and this fellow asks, quite appropriately, if I am bringing any fruit or vegetables into the country. I reply that I believe that I have an orange and an apple left over from lunch. He asks: "Are they from Canada or the U.S." I reply that I bought them in a supermarket in Canada but they have no stickers on them and I don't know where they originated. "Where are they?" In the trunk. "Get out of the car and bring them to me" I do this. He examines them, even sniffing the orange. He asks where I bought them, how much I paid for them and why am I bringing them into the U.S. Finally he pronounces the apple is Canadian and the orange is of American citizenship and I may keep them but not until he sniffs the orange once more.

When he finds out that I am travelling to the trail, he asks who with? I reply nobody. He asks why? "Because I can't find anybody stupid enough to drive all this way with me to hike in the upcoming cold weather" This apparently was not the right answer as I was reprimanded for being less than civil. Even though it was true :-) He asks if I am married, I reply yes. He asks why my wife won't hike with me. I ask for his supervisor and he replies that I am being less than civil again and he can have my complete car searched. I reply: please get a supervisor over here or I am going to lay on the horn until the troops arrive. He replies ****** off and waves me through.

I am still waiting for the reply from my letter to U.S. Customs Service..Bumpa

ChinMusic
12-16-2008, 19:05
At least you didn't get the "complete car search"....I did in October coming back from Canada (Manitoba).

Upon entering the "garage" and being asked to get out of the car.

Customs: "Empty your pockets sir"
C: "What are those?"
Me: "earplugs"
C: "what are they for"
Me: not thinking of a better answer "for me"
C: "no, no, what are they used for"
Me: not thinking of a better answer "my ears"
C: "this is gonna take awhile if you don't answer"
Me: getting nervous "so I can sleep better"
C: " why 2 pairs"
Me: "in case I lose one" (I'm at a total loss as to where this is going)
C: "any firearms is the car"
Me: "no"
C: "any weapons"
Me: wanting to be accurate " a couple knives"
C: "what kind, how many"
Me: getting more nervous " like 4 knives, pocket type"
C: "why so many"
Me: "no real reason"
C: "any guns in the car"
Me: "no"
C: " what is this"
Me: "duct tape" (folded up upon itself)
C: "why is it in your pocket"
Me: now I'm totally confused "for blisters"
C: "blisters?"
Me: "Uh, I backpack/hike and find it handy to carry in my pocket"
C: " but you said earlier that you were on a fishing trip"
Me: "yes"
C: "so why the duct tape?"
Me; " I just always carry it"
C: "any explosives in the car"
Me: "no" (what the hell was that about)
C: "what is this"
Me: "athletic tape" (again a small amount rolled upon itself)
C: "for what usage?"
Me: "uh, blisters" (OMG this is sounding BAD)
C: "uh huh" "please step in to the room (pointing)

So, I'm in this room for like and hour while I assume they are bringing in dogs to sniff things out. No bathroom (worst part). Note to self: NEVER go thru customs again without peeing first. They finally let me out of the room and my stuff is all over the floor of the "garage".

"you may repack now and you are free to go"

Oh well, my number was either up or they were just doing their job....no worries.

DapperD
12-16-2008, 19:13
As a section hiker who drives down from Canada to do three or four weeks on the A.T. once or twice a year...I am aware of difficulties getting to where you want to hike. This Fall took the cake.

I crossed into the U.S of A. in late October at Detroit. I ran into a zealous, junior border agent. The traffic is backed up 20 or 30 cars behind me and this fellow asks, quite appropriately, if I am bringing any fruit or vegetables into the country. I reply that I believe that I have an orange and an apple left over from lunch. He asks: "Are they from Canada or the U.S." I reply that I bought them in a supermarket in Canada but they have no stickers on them and I don't know where they originated. "Where are they?" In the trunk. "Get out of the car and bring them to me" I do this. He examines them, even sniffing the orange. He asks where I bought them, how much I paid for them and why am I bringing them into the U.S. Finally he pronounces the apple is Canadian and the orange is of American citizenship and I may keep them but not until he sniffs the orange once more.

When he finds out that I am travelling to the trail, he asks who with? I reply nobody. He asks why? "Because I can't find anybody stupid enough to drive all this way with me to hike in the upcoming cold weather" This apparently was not the right answer as I was reprimanded for being less than civil. Even though it was true :-) He asks if I am married, I reply yes. He asks why my wife won't hike with me. I ask for his supervisor and he replies that I am being less than civil again and he can have my complete car searched. I reply: please get a supervisor over here or I am going to lay on the horn until the troops arrive. He replies ****** off and waves me through.

I am still waiting for the reply from my letter to U.S. Customs Service..BumpaSounds to me like he really wanted for you to let him have that orange, and you keep the apple!:D

Doctari
12-16-2008, 19:25
This won't make either of you feel better, but that hasnt changed in over 40 years (probably more): My history (Jr High) teacher was in her early 60s when she told this story, & I always thought it was from at least 20 years before, so 62 years ago? She had a car with a broken fuel gauge, in it's place was a broom stick cut to about 2', it was a stick she had been using to check her gas level "for years", so this stick was likely kiln dried, used as a broom handle till the broom wore out, then routenly soaked in gasoline, it was indeed seriously DEAD. She was comming back to the states, yet another gung ho border guard, confiscated her "Plant product", I was amazed, even thought it was a joke for a few years. Then I met others like this guy, they are everywhere.

superman
12-16-2008, 19:35
I encountered the same border guard in 1974.:D

ChinMusic
12-16-2008, 19:41
This won't make either of you feel better, but that hasnt changed in over 40 years (probably more)...
After I had some time to think about it, I was actually pleased with their vigilance and understand their vantage point.

Upon retrospect:
1. The earplugs (two pair) made them think firearms.
2. The duct tape and white tape can be used to wrap wires.
3. I had no fishing poles nor tackle box in the car (I leave my gear at my guide's lodge)

In their eyes I just didn't "add up".

TrippinBTM
12-16-2008, 19:45
Living in Detroit, I've had occasion to enter Canada a few times, and I always found the Canadians more strict and more apt to search me than the Americans. Even after 9-11. I've never actually been searched by US customs, but have twice by Canadians.

Which is good, because a few of those times I'd been shopping in Windsor (back when the US dollar used to go farther in Canada) and was trying to avoid paying any duties :D

boarstone
12-16-2008, 19:54
This won't make either of you feel better, but that hasnt changed in over 40 years (probably more): My history (Jr High) teacher was in her early 60s when she told this story, & I always thought it was from at least 20 years before, so 62 years ago? She had a car with a broken fuel gauge, in it's place was a broom stick cut to about 2', it was a stick she had been using to check her gas level "for years", so this stick was likely kiln dried, used as a broom handle till the broom wore out, then routenly soaked in gasoline, it was indeed seriously DEAD. She was comming back to the states, yet another gung ho border guard, confiscated her "Plant product", I was amazed, even thought it was a joke for a few years. Then I met others like this guy, they are everywhere.

And our post 9/11 scare is where?....drum roll please!:rolleyes:

Cabin Fever
12-16-2008, 19:59
A few summers ago I was doing some construction work in Mexico (mission trip). I had a truck loaded up with hand tools, power tools and a lot of luggage. When coming back into the states, the border agents pulled me into the garage and watched me unload the cab of my truck and my truck box. With tools and clothes spread all over my truck bed, they said "ok, you can go now." I was toasted.

boarstone
12-16-2008, 20:05
I've gone to St. John every year for the past 4, except last year....here's my tale...This last trip we take my daughter/boyfriend. They buy a large piece of luggage w/rollers. Now we're packed into my Chevy tracker 4dr. At out re-entry to the US, I figure I'm all set, I've got ALL the receipts out and ready to hand to the lady....
She asks where we've been, where we're going and why...so after that I figured it okay, we passed all I.D.s to her, me the only one w/passport. She then asks for the relationship to all of us, I said none, told her who was w/whom....she checked over the receipts, wanted to know why we bought a big suitcase in Canada...good ole' Dave(daughters fellow) he answers " it was a good deal" . I held my breath as I thought for sure his answer wouldn't fly no matter what it was, seeing this was their first trip "out-of-country". We get let go...about 4 miles away from border and going out of Calais Me to home, my daughter(bless her soul) turns to me and says," MA! Back there you said there was no relationship between any of us!" My light bulb goes off! Oh well, we got thru and on out way home arn't we? I was drawing a blank too at the time of the questioning, now if anyone saw my dauther and me together, there is no mistaking who belongs to whom....we're dead twins w/only the years seperating us.

Lyle
12-16-2008, 21:00
Just to add to the border horror stories. Making a long story shorter:

- 30+ years ago I worked at McDonalds in Port Huron
- One very busy night, we ran out of Big Mac buns
- Borrowed some from the Sarnia (Canada) McDonalds
- Had to pull over at the boarder while numerous officers and supervisors searched huge volumes of regulations - the dilema: the buns could be brought in, they didn't know what to do about the plastic trays they were on.
- After about 45 minutes, I solemnly promised that I would personally return the buns the next day and would use the same trays.
- They let me proceed

- Next morning, trying to return the buns (in the Canadian trays)
- Canadian customs have several agents trying to decide what to do - the buns are no problem, what about the trays.
- After about 15 minutes, I have a brain storm - US Bakeries only label their trays in English, Canadian Bakeries label in both English and French. All my trays had both English and French labels
- Problem solved!!!!

Tinker
12-16-2008, 23:04
Yet another reason for lightweight hiking with less gear.:D

DavidNH
12-16-2008, 23:19
I am personally convinced that the government goes out of its way to find the absolute rudest possible folks to man the border crossing. I have never had experiences as bad as listed here, but I can relate. The stories listed in this thread show the border patrol to be so rude as to be almost hilarious though i am sure it was far from funny for you folks at the time.

I can't even imagine what must be like going to and from Mexico. It must be hell! Any one have any stories??

David

Plodderman
12-17-2008, 12:48
Sounds like yo made a great hiking memory,

Bare Bear
12-18-2008, 21:43
I wonder if the Border Guards that prevented the bombers from coming into the States from Canada a few years ago were rude to the guys they stopped? Were those SC Deputies nice to the Muslin 'student' that just got 15 years for issuing a video on how to make a remote controlled bomb to go with the anti-American, "Bin Laden is my hero' stuff he was carrying, and the bomb making conponents he was carrying toward the SC military base? How about we be nice and polite and remember all of the Alfa Henrys Border Guards have to put up with every day just to do their jobs which is to protect us.

TrippinBTM
12-18-2008, 22:14
Buddy, the only reason I got searched was because I had long hair, a beard, and a general hippie look. It wasn't bombs they thought I had; it was weed they were looking for. What a stupid waste of their time, this drug war causes. I'd rather they look out for real criminals, as you mentioned.

And no, I didn't have any drugs.

ChinMusic
12-18-2008, 22:38
.... the only reason I got searched was because I had long hair, a beard, and a general hippie look.
I guess if I had had long hair, a beard, and a general hippie look, I could have used that excuse as well.

Bumpa
12-18-2008, 23:01
Bombers from Canada??.is this a harking back to the alleged 2001 bombers from Canada that turned out to be trained in Florida. And bombs are equal to oranges and apples and telling visitors to your country to ****** off?..come on we've all dealt with unreasonable people and all we ask is not to descend into unreasonableness when in a position of authority...Bumpa

ChinMusic
12-18-2008, 23:14
Bombers from Canada??.is this a harking back to the alleged 2001 bombers from Canada that turned out to be trained in Florida.
Might have referred to the Millennium terrorist plot.

Both countries have their share of kooks.