PDA

View Full Version : Spectralite.60

Barbarosa
12-16-2008, 19:41
Does anyone have experience with this material? MLD makes a bivy with Spectralite.60 on the bottom side that I am considering, but it really looks strange and potentially uncomfortable in the picture on their web site http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/popup_image.php?pID=39&image=2&osCsid=8fad61cccd17a7f1206ae2c5545527b7. I can't find anything locally to see what its really like. Does anyone have experience using products with this material? Would it work well on the bottom of a bivy?

Quoddy
12-16-2008, 20:12
I have a solo tarp from MLD (http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=33&osCsid=3ccd7796650f6c6410aa0384cd58e629) made of the .60 Spectralite. I like it so much that I recently ordered an MLD DuoMid pyramid in the same material. If I hadn't already purchase an MLD bivy, I'd have gone for the Spectralite bottomed model. As well as being extremely light, it's absolutely waterproof and very strong... however a bit of care must be taken since it will puncture if jammed onto, or sharply poked with a sharp object.

Dogwood
12-16-2008, 22:52
Spectra .60. - One of, if not THE, lightest wt. fabrics used in UL gear for tarps, packs, and, yes, even bivys! Easily scratches and punctures, but quite tear resistant and WP. IMO, it requires a high level of TLC when used in packs and bivys(especially the bottom of bivys). Definitely, not for everyone. Certainly, a bivy that uses Specta .60 for its bottom can't be thrown unprotected on the ground if U want it to last. Kinda pricey too! If U treat your gear with TLC, R willing to adhere to manufacturers guidelines for gear made with Spectra .60, understand and abide by the limitations of gear made from such material, or U just like to buy new gear on a very regular basis, this fabric is one, if not the best. I really like it as a fabric for tarps.

Tinker
12-16-2008, 23:07
I have a solo tarp from MLD made of the .60 Spectralite. I like it so much that I recently ordered an MLD DuoMid pyramid in the same material. If I hadn't already purchase an MLD bivy, I'd have gone for the Spectralite bottomed model. As well as being extremely light, it's absolutely waterproof and very strong... however a bit of care must be taken since it will puncture if jammed onto, or sharply poked with a sharp object.

Quoddy: After you've had your DuoMid for a while could you post test results here? It looks like a very nice design.

Quoddy
12-17-2008, 10:43
Quoddy: After you've had your DuoMid for a while could you post test results here? It looks like a very nice design.
I'll do that. It looks like it will be close to four weeks until I get it. At 10.9 oz it will probably become my go-to winter shelter.