PDA

View Full Version : Partner(s) to thru hike Benton Mackaye trail?

Slo-go'en
12-16-2008, 22:27
I'm seriously thinking about thru hiking the BMT this spring (290 miles). Looking for 1 or 2 other (experianced hikers) who might also want to take a path less traveled. Start date is flexable, but figure mid April would be a good time to start. PM me if interested!

ednotmilkman
12-18-2008, 12:35
hi slo,

I'm interested, but could do no more than two weeks. I'm not real experienced and have never backbacked where I had to resupply. My max so far is 4 nights out alone and 7 nights with a Sierra group in Montana, but I am fit for 60+ mile weeks . I'm also no dummy with a map, compass and GPS. I bought Hiking the Benton McKaye Trail , 2004 edition recently, but then discovered it only covers the southern 93 miles of the trail up to Ocoee River ?? Where do you get a trail guide, maybe gps tracks, for the rest of the trail?

Let me know here or pm when you get more details. I work part time, but I'm not the boss, so I'd need an ok from him. I have used my bicycle as a shuttle back to the car if I have to leave you at a different point.

hootyhoo
12-18-2008, 20:33
I had planned to hike it last spring, but got 'economied'. I'm a self sufficient hiker. I have done it through Cohutta, Big Frog, Citico and the Smokies. I'm not interested in the Smokies section again. Are dogs allowed on your hike?
Have you got any details about time ect...
How many days do you plan for the Springer to Smokies section?
I have a big folder where I had prepared the logistics for last year. I had locations picked for food, socks, fuel, ect... cache.

hootyhoo
12-18-2008, 20:38
There was post about a some guy who made a google map of the bmt. I downloaded it last year - it covers the entire bmt.

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=%3Chttp://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=EarthNature&Number=670580&Searchpage=1&Main=670580&Words=benton&topic=&Search=true#Post670580%3E&Board=EarthNature&Number=670580&Searchpage=1&Main=670580&Words=benton&topic=&Search=true%23Post670580
Try this link

Pokey2006
12-28-2008, 05:11
Hmmm, definitely interested. I'm the type that would want to only loosely partner up, meeting up at the end of the day, or even every few days, or on resupply, instead of actually hiking together side-by-side.

However, I'm currently in flux (just moved to new state, still looking for permanent work, needing to find a new apartment soon, etc. etc.). So it will really depend on where I'm at come April. Revive this thread closer to the date and we'll see. I'm definitely keeping it in mind!

generoll
12-28-2008, 08:52
I'm like Pokey on this one. However, for me sooner rather then later works.

Phreak
12-28-2008, 11:19
I'm seriously thinking about thru hiking the BMT this spring (290 miles). Looking for 1 or 2 other (experianced hikers) who might also want to take a path less traveled. Start date is flexable, but figure mid April would be a good time to start. PM me if interested!
How many days?

Slo-go'en
12-28-2008, 13:48
How many days? I figure no more than 30 but at least 21. I like to start out a little slow and pick up the pace later. A loose partnership is fine, we all have our own pace. Meet up at the end of the day or at questionable trail junctions.

I would prefer to find someone who could go the whole distance, not just part of the way. Meeting up with someone along the way isn't practical. I don't think I'd want to start any earlier than April 1st to help ensure reasonably good weather.

If no one commits to an end to end BMT hike with me by sometime in March, I'll likely go to plan B and hike VA again.

generoll
12-28-2008, 20:23
depending on the job/no job situation I'm probably good for just under 3 weeks, however far that takes me. My locum job right now tends to be around the first of each month for roughly 10 days, so it would likely be either from mid March to early April or mid April..etc. Kinda depends on the weather. After my little section from Sams Gap to Erwin early this month I decided that no plan is going to be so iron clad that I knowingly go hiking when it's forecast to rain. It's one thing to get caught out in the rain, it's another to start out knowing your going to get drenched.

Pokey2006
12-28-2008, 20:32
I'm actually thinking just under three weeks, too. 30 days would be way too long for that hike, for me personally. I could always give you a few days' head start and catch up and we could finish together. I'll think some more about it closer to the time.

ednotmilkman
01-11-2009, 01:00
I'm still interested too, pokey and generoll .

I don't need somebody hiking within site of me either. I don't really need a partner at all except for shuttling a car, and the fact that I have not checked into where the trail towns are along this route for resupply. Was it ever decided if this hike would not include GSM ? Which Georgia trailhead ? I may not be able to do all of it, but would commit to go for at least 7 days most any time this spring and maybe 3 people could even shuttle my car in the middle and the others at each end of this route.

I did download and import Mr.Parkay's gps tracks of the trail successfully into my map program for use on my handheld GPS

Tipi Walter
01-11-2009, 01:20
Post your dates and maybe we can hook up in the northern park around Bald River/Whigg/Citico/Slickrock. I'm good for at least 3 or 4 miles.:)

I was out on the Sycamore section about 3 weeks ago and ran into two guys backpacking from Mud Gap 70 miles to the Ocoee River. Wild Child and Barfly.

Just last week I was out on a three day backpack with Little Mitten and ran into a solo woman backpacker named Trickster doing the whole B Mac from Springer. We talked on the Whigg for about an hour and posted a fotog of her on TJs. Here it is:

Egads
01-11-2009, 07:44
I have been sectioning the BMT during weekends. PM if interested.

FS 45 to Hiawassee Jan 24