PDA

View Full Version : How much does a thru hike REALLY cost?

Live the Journey
12-16-2008, 22:52
As March gets closer, I'm getting more worried about costs on trail. How much do I really need to have in the bank when I leave for Springer Mountain?

I'm not talking about gear and clothing costs, just what kind of funding I should try to budget to enjoy my thru hike....I'm thinking food costs, occasional lodging, laundry and other misc. costs in town, and probably a little extra built in for possible doctors visits just in case I get sick or injured.

I'm sure everyone has their own opinions...and I'd love to hear them, Thanks!

KG4FAM
12-16-2008, 22:54
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44106

DavidNH
12-16-2008, 23:10
You will get many different answers to this. Here are my thoughts.

First off.. you need to account for the income you will lose when you quit your job (if you have one) to do the thru hike. But let's put that aside from now, an assume you have already your basic gear to do the hike. Let's also put aside costs of transportation to get from where you live to and from the southern and northern termini trail heads. These costs do need to be factored in, however.

Costs will very depending on whether you want to go very fast (say four months) avg (5 1/2 months) or leisurely (6 months plus). Also how spartin do you want to go? some get by on a couple thou because they don't go into town other than to resupply food.
From your post it sounds like you want to have at least some comfort and town time which you should.

I would recommend of having a minimum of 3000 dollars and preferably closer to 5000 in the bank ready to spend for your trip. This will enable you to stay in hostels or perhaps an occasional hotel, replace gear or buy extra gear that you didn't think you need and ship gear home that you thought you needed but didn't. It is also important, I would say very important, to have the funds to be able to have occasional meals at restaurants. Food is very important on a thru hike. You don't realize how important until you actually are out there. Also, you want to account for having some zero days. These are days when you won't be hiking but will be resupplying, eating, resting up and eating some more.

You could get by with 3000 dollars and still have some luxuries. 5,000 would give you the cushion for the occasional hotel, unexpected expense and longer trip. Again though, the lest time you take for the trip the less money you will need. Also, the less town time, the cheaper the hike will be. Towns are where your money goes to die!!! For the 5000 dollar figure, I am assuming a six month trip and some hotel stays. I am also assuming you won't be making frequent beer or cigarette purchases. If you do, you need to raise the amount you spend.

I believe that there used to be a saying that the trip costs a buck a mile. That was years ago. now it is at least 1.50 a mile and probably more like 2 dollars a mile which would make for a 4000 + dollar thru hike.

I could offer more thoughts but this IS the straight forward forum. feel free to private message if you want more advice or thoughts from me.

DavidNH

Lone Wolf
12-16-2008, 23:20
$4500

Rockhound
12-16-2008, 23:20
you eating ramens or mountain house? you staying at the holiday inns or hostels? a bare bones hike with a minimum of pay for stays you might be able to squeak by with $2500. If you a little luxury, slack packing, eating out, some hotels etc... plan on $5000

A-Train
12-16-2008, 23:26
It depends on sooo many different factors.

I'm about your age. If it were me I'd be shooting for a 4-5 month hike and would have 4 grand just in case, planning to spend about 3 grand. For me this would be enough to buy decent groceries, eat a restaurant meal or two per town stop, have an occasional hostel stay or a split motel room with some extra for postage (mailing stuff ahead/home), extra shoes, aquarmira and then some extra for a potential medical budget.

It's always good to budget extra for after the hike since you may not find work immediately. One good part about being younger is having the ability to crash with the parentals during transition times.

Good luck.

p.s. Oh yeah, alcohol and cigs will make a big difference too. I like to drink but having some restaint (you don't have to drink in EVERY town) will save you lots. I still don't get why so many hikers insist on chain smoking during a thru-hike.

warraghiyagey
12-16-2008, 23:39
Or his coffee either.

freefall
12-17-2008, 00:27
I've talked to people that have hiked the trail and felt they lived comfortably on $2500 and turned around and hear that some that spent $6000 thought they were on the edge of death. It all depends on your ability to adjust your comfort level, how used you are to primitive conditions, etc....
I spent 3k to get to NJ from Springer. But, I was always looking at the grass is always greener scenario. Hiking in 35* with freezing rain, or a long stretch, I wanted to be in town and would get there and spend whatever it took to make me comfortable. But then I wanted so much to be back out on the trail.
So there is no "right" answer. I would love to be able to hike the whole AT on 3k but I know it won't happen. I would probably need 5k+. But like I said, I know people that have done it on 2.5 to 3k and been absolutely fine.

stumpknocker
12-17-2008, 09:05
As March gets closer, I'm getting more worried about costs on trail. How much do I really need to have in the bank when I leave for Springer Mountain?

I'm not talking about gear and clothing costs, just what kind of funding I should try to budget to enjoy my thru hike....I'm thinking food costs, occasional lodging, laundry and other misc. costs in town, and probably a little extra built in for possible doctors visits just in case I get sick or injured.

I'm sure everyone has their own opinions...and I'd love to hear them, Thanks!

I usually spend about $120.00 for each town I go in to....on average, in the east. :)

garlic08
12-17-2008, 10:05
As usual, you got it, Sly. I found out, to my surprise, that pace largely dictates cost, too. I spent a little more than $750/month, but that's a good range. A faster hike is a cheaper hike.

Sharing a motel room with Pickle was more expensive, but for two guys with a total age of 114 with retirement money, it was worth it, for all the reasons A-Train brought up.

Live the Journey
12-18-2008, 10:29
Thanks so much everyone, great posts!

I'm very lucky to have a flexible job that is letting me take a 6 month + sabbatical, so I don't need to budget too much extra for when I come home... and my work is letting me take some time when I get back to get back into the "real world" swing of things. I moved back in with my parents this past summer so I don't have to worry about rent while I'm gone. My company is letting me pay for my healthcare when I get back to work. My parents are also going to pick me up and drop me off at springer and baxter, so thats one more thing that I can cross off my budget. I'm thinking that I'll have about 3K, perhaps a little more, so hopefully with the knowledge that I've only got that much to spend, hopefully it'll work out. And, I'm only 25, which means I'm still lucky enough to look at hostels as a very luxurious occasional alternative to my bivy when I need a break!
Thanks again, everyone!

chief
12-18-2008, 23:42
Thanks so much everyone, great posts!

I'm very lucky to have a flexible job that is letting me take a 6 month + sabbatical, so I don't need to budget too much extra for when I come home... and my work is letting me take some time when I get back to get back into the "real world" swing of things. I moved back in with my parents this past summer so I don't have to worry about rent while I'm gone. My company is letting me pay for my healthcare when I get back to work. My parents are also going to pick me up and drop me off at springer and baxter, so thats one more thing that I can cross off my budget. I'm thinking that I'll have about 3K, perhaps a little more, so hopefully with the knowledge that I've only got that much to spend, hopefully it'll work out. And, I'm only 25, which means I'm still lucky enough to look at hostels as a very luxurious occasional alternative to my bivy when I need a break!
Thanks again, everyone!
How much will you budget to pay your parents back for their costs?

Live the Journey
12-19-2008, 10:40
How much will you budget to pay your parents back for their costs?

My Parents, especially my Mother, have been very supportive throughout the planning process. Although they were hesitant at first about "sending their baby girl out into the woods" they have been an enormous help in getting all my ducks in a row before I leave. It was their idea for me to move home to get rid of rent costs from the trail. They are turning dropping me off and picking me up into vacations. They are excited for me and I know that I'm getting way more support from home then most people my age who are trying to fulfill their thru-hiking dreams.

I guess to answer your question, I'm very lucky to have parents who are happy to help and don't expect to be repaid for helping me reach this goal.

Marta
12-19-2008, 11:03
My Parents, especially my Mother, have been very supportive throughout the planning process. Although they were hesitant at first about "sending their baby girl out into the woods" they have been an enormous help in getting all my ducks in a row before I leave. It was their idea for me to move home to get rid of rent costs from the trail. They are turning dropping me off and picking me up into vacations. They are excited for me and I know that I'm getting way more support from home then most people my age who are trying to fulfill their thru-hiking dreams.

I guess to answer your question, I'm very lucky to have parents who are happy to help and don't expect to be repaid for helping me reach this goal.

You're lucky to have such supportive parents, and they're lucky to have an appreciative daughter. Good luck and enjoy your hike!

Rockhound
12-19-2008, 11:07

Its great that your family is supporting you in this endeavor. When I announced to my mother that I was going to hike 2000 miles the only reaction was, "why would you want to do that?" After explaining why I could see she still didn't understand.

Frosty
12-19-2008, 11:28
How much will you budget to pay your parents back for their costs?Nothing. Telling them you love them and that you couldn't have done this trip without their help will mean a LOT more to them than money. Phone call and letters from towns telling them how great a time you are having and thanking them for their help is good, also.

Time will come when the parents tehmeselves will need your time and attention in their lives. When they have difficulty taking care of themselves, that is the time to pay back.

Skyline
12-19-2008, 11:35

You're also lucky to have such a supportive employer. They are getting more rare by the week.

Red Hat
12-19-2008, 11:41
Its great that your family is supporting you in this endeavor. When I announced to my mother that I was going to hike 2000 miles the only reaction was, "why would you want to do that?" After explaining why I could see she still didn't understand.

my mother was exactly the same way (and she's in her 80s)... she has this prune face she makes whenever she's unhappy and I see it when I mention hiking

Her complaints and repeated remarks that my husband was ill and needed me were why I cut my 2005 hike short at Harpers Ferry. She will never understand me doing it, but when she was young she would have hiked it herself...

catfishrivers
12-19-2008, 11:58

Good for you. There's no shame in having a loving and supportive family unit. My family is the same way, we always help each other out so that we all live better lives together. Happy to hear your parents are excited for you.

Marta
12-19-2008, 12:40
Nothing. Telling them you love them and that you couldn't have done this trip without their help will mean a LOT more to them than money. Phone call and letters from towns telling them how great a time you are having and thanking them for their help is good, also.

Time will come when the parents tehmeselves will need your time and attention in their lives. When they have difficulty taking care of themselves, that is the time to pay back.

Nicely put.

You also pay back your parents by giving them grandchildren, and taking care of them.

Bare Bear
12-26-2008, 12:46
I have always tried to budget around $10 per day and always ended up at $20 a day, still cheap compared to staying at home for me.

Kanati
12-26-2008, 16:29
What does it cost? That's a really good question. Here's what it cost me, not counting gear:

Money---$4,500.00 +/-, and a new car for my wife!!!!

Health----shin splints, girardia, lyme Disease, mental fatigue, permanently sore knees.

Miscellaneous----38 year marriage put On-The-Rocks. Been home since August and still trying to salvage it. Just kidding, I think.

Actually, it was worth every cent, every ache and pain , and it will be to you too, so enjoy it !!!!

Good Luck
P.S. I am returning to Grafton Notch ME (where I left the trail), as soon as bug season subsides to complete my hike. :sun

nightshaded
12-29-2008, 23:25
$5000 seems like a good, round amount to have in the bank, just in case of emergencies and such.
as everyone has said, how much or how little you spend totally depends on how you want to hike, and how you budget your money.
I had a budget of $2000, and was very frugal for most of the hike. I reached Maine with $800 or so, and was able to splurge a little.
I ended the hike only having spent $1,600 in the six months I spent on the trail.
So spending a lot isn't necessary, but most people do spend $4000 or more.
best of luck on your journey.

bone lady

Uncle Tom
12-31-2008, 08:12
The cost of hiking the Trail ends up being both more and less than you might think. More in the sense that some of us lose $$ because we are not working, and some people forget about that until they realize they have to leave the trail early. I budgeted for on-trail expenses, such as rooms in towns and some gear replacements. Food is not a budget item, as you have to buy food at home. My bigger costs were for maintaining the mortgage, taxes, insurances, utilities , etc. at home while I was not working and that meant saving up a huge pile of $$ before I left. That's also what I mean by more. What made it possible for me to hike was that I was collecting a monthly retirement check that more than covered my on trail expenses. What I mean by less, is that in my case, I don't really care to spend money on much more than coffee, newspapers, and a frequent bowl of fish chowder . I do no shopping now. I now spend much less than I used to , but a real downside is that I am not motivated like I used to be to go out there and make money. The damn trail ruined my work ethic.

rp1790
12-31-2008, 10:18
I ended the hike only having spent $1,600 in the six months I spent on the trail.
So spending a lot isn't necessary, but most people do spend $4000 or more.
best of luck on your journey.

bone lady

Wow, you only spent $1600?? I'm off to read your journal. Any secrets to keeping it so low?

DavidNH
12-31-2008, 11:34
The cost of hiking the Trail ends up being both more and less than you might think. More in the sense that some of us lose $$ because we are not working, and some people forget about that until they realize they have to leave the trail early. I budgeted for on-trail expenses, such as rooms in towns and some gear replacements. Food is not a budget item, as you have to buy food at home. My bigger costs were for maintaining the mortgage, taxes, insurances, utilities , etc. at home while I was not working and that meant saving up a huge pile of $$ before I left. That's also what I mean by more. What made it possible for me to hike was that I was collecting a monthly retirement check that more than covered my on trail expenses. What I mean by less, is that in my case, I don't really care to spend money on much more than coffee, newspapers, and a frequent bowl of fish chowder . I do no shopping now. I now spend much less than I used to , but a real downside is that I am not motivated like I used to be to go out there and make money. The damn trail ruined my work ethic.

Uncle Tom,

I hear ya! for all the pain and other problems one may experience on an AT thru hike, there is a freedom one just does not want to let go of. No one else seems to understand why we would not be tickled pink to be able to make money rather than hiking in the woods and in the mountains.

David

88BlueGT
01-01-2009, 06:26
This is an extremely tough question, different people spend different amounts each and every year.... it truly honestly depends on what you plan on doing with your hike. For example. right now, I have about 2,100 dollars to leave from Springer with BUT i have until April, say I save a thousand (which is unlikely), thats what Im going to have to deal with. Personally, I am at a point where I NEED to thru-hike and given my age I'll do what ever is necessary to make it; wether its making it on 2000 or 50000 Im going to do it. Basically it all depends on what kind of job I get in the mean time and what kind of money i'm making. regardless, I'm going to thru-hike, it just depends on how much luxury you want to have on your hike. Of coarse, everyone wants every luxiury available to them, thats just not the case (like in my situation); You have to just take whats give to you and save up what you have and go off of that. I plan on making it on whatever I have, no matter what. I just hope you have the same desire. If not, meet up w me Im leavin on April 1st, we'll get by! hah Happy Newyears!

wcgornto
01-01-2009, 09:17

While I am paying for my own hike, I have a mother and five sisters who are very supportive of my plans. I suspect that the numerous care packages I receive along the way will defray my expenses considerably.