PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Clearview Air pads any experience?

jrnj5k
12-17-2008, 10:04
Im looking at the Big Agnes Clearview Air Pads. The small mummy is only 11oz. Its made out of polyurethane to save weight and is uninsulated. I was wondering if any body has any experience with them with regards to their durability, comfort, and temp rating? Thanks

Mrs Baggins
12-17-2008, 11:07
I have one but haven't used it on the trail yet. I tried it out in the backyard and on the screen porch. It was fine. I'm very small, though, and the smallest mummy suits me well. If, like my husband, you're 6' tall and 200 lbs, then it would way too small. I didn't use any insulating pad (I usually use a z rest) and I was warm enough. It was late Spring/early Summer.

jrnj5k
12-17-2008, 11:24
does it seem sturdy?

Mrs Baggins
12-17-2008, 11:28
does it seem sturdy?

I would be very careful with it on the trail. Keep it in a protective bag - something much better than the mesh bag it comes with. And I'm going to make sure I lay mine on some kind of ground cover if I'm in a shelter, something I don't do with the BA Air Core. I think it would be much more easily punctured than the BA Air Core. If you're in a tent/tarp with a bottom I'd still make sure there's nothing poking up underneath.

cr113
12-17-2008, 11:40
I'd like to know the difference in the durability and ease of repair between the polyurethane and the normal nylon pads.

Mrs Baggins
12-17-2008, 11:45
It doesn't come with any kind of patch kit. BA says to use a sealant you can buy in stores (right now I can't remember the name of it but I think it's mentioned on their website). The mat has the feel of a very thick balloon.

ofthearth
12-17-2008, 11:56
did a search on posts-clearview -maybe some useful info
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?searchid=5173212

jrnj5k
12-17-2008, 11:57
I just got off of the phone with Big Agnes and they said it is close enough in durability to their air core pads that its negligible. They said to excercise the same care one would with any pad that contains air.

cr113
12-17-2008, 12:17
This review makes it seem like it's very easy to repair with a variety of repair kits.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/big_agnes_clearview_air_pad_review.html

jrnj5k
12-17-2008, 14:23
great review

skinewmexico
12-17-2008, 14:27
Too slow, I was going to point out BPL.

bulldog49
12-17-2008, 14:31
Mine went completely flat the first night I used it. Too delicate in my opinion.

cr113
12-17-2008, 18:11
I just got off of the phone with Big Agnes and they said it is close enough in durability to their air core pads that its negligible. They said to excercise the same care one would with any pad that contains air.

Just as durable, lighter, easier to repair. Hmmm.

I was thinking about getting the large 25" wide clearview along with a 1/8" ccf pad. That would be about 26 ounces and you'd have a ccf pad for sitting on the ground. And it would be super comfortable.

jrnj5k
12-17-2008, 18:38
Yes this is true, but if your going to have an end weight of 26 ounces, than why not buy an insulated pad and a piece of blue walmart pad for a butt pad

Skidsteer
12-17-2008, 18:59
Im looking at the Big Agnes Clearview Air Pads. The small mummy is only 11oz. Its made out of polyurethane to save weight and is uninsulated. I was wondering if any body has any experience with them with regards to their durability, comfort, and temp rating? Thanks

I used one for a week long section this past July. I'm 6' 1" 210 lbs. Very comfortable, but I would not even consider it for cold weather.

does it seem sturdy?

Nope. It seems like it would pop if you looked at it cross-eyed. But it held up just fine. I didn't baby it on purpose, took no particular care above my normal routine in fact.

I took some peel-off swimming pool liner patches just in case but didn't need them. I'll be carrying it again next Summer.

cr113
12-17-2008, 19:31
Yes this is true, but if your going to have an end weight of 26 ounces, than why not buy an insulated pad and a piece of blue walmart pad for a butt pad

Make sure you are comparing 20" vs 25" wide systems. I was thinking that it might be worth the extra weight to have a wider 25" pad.

20" wide:

20 X 72 Clearview - 15 ounces
20 X 60 Gossamer gear 1/8 ccf pad - 3 ounces
Total - 18 ounces

20 X 72 insulated air core - 24 ounces
Blue sit pad - 6 ounces
Total - 30 ounces

25" wide:

25 X 78 Clearview - 23 ounces
20 X 60 Gossamer gear 1/8 ccf pad - 3 ounces
Total - 26 ounces

25 X 78 insulated air core - 36 ounces
Blue sit pad - 6 ounces
Total - 42 ounces

I'm thinking that the clearview/ccf pad combo would be lighter and have a bigger sit pad. I wonder if the clearview/ccf pad combo is as warm as the insulated air core?

cr113
12-19-2008, 11:57
Nope. It seems like it would pop if you looked at it cross-eyed. But it held up just fine. I didn't baby it on purpose, took no particular care above my normal routine in fact.

I just received the clearview pillow yesterday. Man, you aren't kidding, it looks really delicate! On the positive however, it does look like it will be easy to fix. It seems like it would be easy to find a leak. Plus I think a patch will stick better to it compared to nylon (I'm just guessing).

I'm having a really, really hard time believing it is as strong as the regular nylon though.

jrnj5k
12-19-2008, 13:36
I was told that its not as strong as the regular nylon. She said that it does however stretch more and therefor is equally tear resistant.

Mrs Baggins
04-20-2009, 06:04
Did 3 days, 2 nights in SNP this past weekend and finally had the chance to use the Clearview on the trail. It worked just fine. Inflates fast, stayed inflated all night, and was comfy enough. I use a Zrest pad on top for insulation, but then I had to do that with the BA Insulated Air Core mat as well, so it wasn't "extra" weight for me. The Clearview also deflated quickly when it's time to pack up, much faster than the BA air core.