PDA

View Full Version : getting cigarette smell out of bag

DDuhon
12-17-2008, 17:55
I just bought a used down bag, and it is clean other than smelling like it lived in a house with a smoker. Any short cuts around a full cleaning? Was going to try fabreze and sunshine. Got the smell of cat piss out of a different bag using 50% vinegar solutiuon and then full wash process.

vonfrick
12-17-2008, 17:56
start smoking. won't bother you anymore after that

A-Train
12-17-2008, 18:00
I'd like to know too. I'm very dissapointed to buy a pack from a WB poster which stinks like cigs and a seam ripped the first time I put it on my back.

mudhead
12-17-2008, 18:06
Look for a dry cleaner with an ozone machine/ozone closet.

If it were me, I would want to wash it, that vinegar is amazing. Thanks Mary.

kanga
12-17-2008, 18:07
wash it. in the washing machine.

snaplok
12-17-2008, 18:16
Mirazyme works well. I quit smoking 2 years ago and this stuff removed the mell from everything.

Rain Man
12-17-2008, 18:18
Got the smell of cat piss out of a different bag using 50% vinegar solutiuon and then full wash process.

I recently inherited a couple of sleeping bags. One smells strongly of animal urine. I have washed it once, but some scent remains.

I like the "home remedy" suggestions, including baking soda, but am concerned about whether such high or low pH products do anything to the down. I don't want a good smell, if it means no more loft.

I'm I just being afraid of the dark? Are things like vinegar and baking soda safe for down products?

Rain:sunMan

Ranc0r
12-17-2008, 18:21
Three ideas:
1) smudge it thoroughly with another scent, such as from smoldering white sage or balm of gilead (think incense).
2) take it camping and hang it up where the wood fire smoke will hit it. Makes me think of camping! :sun
3) hang it outside and let nature take over. Don't leave a down bag out in the rain tho. :(

nitewalker
12-17-2008, 20:07
wash the stinkin thing but make sure you use an oversized machine to prevent snagging.

Toolshed
12-17-2008, 20:07
I just bought a slightly used tent from apparently a smoker on here. (Could it be the same person selling their gear??).
I left it outside for a day to air and now it is hanging in the basement. I think it iwll take a couple of weeks of just plain haning for the smell to go away.

warraghiyagey
12-17-2008, 20:37

\http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing010.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

johnnybgood
12-17-2008, 21:48
Using 50% vinegar should do. Repeat process before doing a regular wash. This did the trick on cat urine smell. Hang outside to dry.

Erin
12-17-2008, 22:10
Try running it through the dryer on a cool setting with a couple of sheets of Bounce or similar.

coldspring
12-17-2008, 22:28
Doesn't that tick you off? I once bought a Blue Kazoo off of eBay. It was advertised as clean, no odors smells, etc... When I received it, I could smell nicotine, this was from several feet away while the package was on my porch. The thing about knocked me out when I opened it, it was that strong. Of course I asked them about it. Their reply, "yeah, I guess it might smell like smoke, my wife and I are both smokers" I think I just sent them a long email with lots of cursewords and resold it cheaply with a disclosure...what else could I do?

Tuombe247
12-17-2008, 22:39
Don't know if it would work, but the %50 vinegar trick sounds promising, but when you wash it, use hot water... For me, this gets my clothes cleaned if I ever get lice so it wouldn't hurt to try.
I just bought a used down bag, and it is clean other than smelling like it lived in a house with a smoker. Any short cuts around a full cleaning? Was going to try fabreze and sunshine. Got the smell of cat piss out of a different bag using 50% vinegar solutiuon and then full wash process.

skinewmexico
12-17-2008, 22:44
If a good down wash doesn't take it out, I'd try this - http://odorxit.com/?Home~heading

superman
12-17-2008, 23:56
I bought a used Jimmy that smelled fine when I bought it. Within a couple days it stunk of smoke. I used three products: bad air sponge, fabreeze and one other. I'm not sure which one did the job but the smell is completely gone.

karoberts
12-18-2008, 00:12
Wash in the washing machine with 2 tablespoons of laundry detergent and 1/2 cup of pine sol. Hang in the backyard to dry. Preferably when it is warm, dry, and windy.

superman
12-18-2008, 00:17
Wash in the washing machine with 2 tablespoons of laundry detergent and 1/2 cup of pine sol. Hang in the backyard to dry. Preferably when it is warm, dry, and windy.

How do you get rid of the pine sol smell?

Lellers
12-18-2008, 00:18
I'm for washing it. I have a front loading washing machine, and have used it on smelly down jackets, on all sorts of sleeping bags, and even a tent or two. A friend used it to get some funky aromas out of his WM down bag. He used Woolite and it worked. You might be able to borrow the use of a front loading machine from someone, if you don't want to find one in a laundromat. I definitely wouldn't try to wash it in a machine with an agitator.

mudcap
12-18-2008, 00:32
A small amount of Downy dish soap in a front loader will work fine. Dry it on low for a long time,throw a couple tennis balls in too to fluff it up.

mudcap
12-18-2008, 00:34
Geez,I am getting old. I meant Dawn,not downy.

Wise Old Owl
12-18-2008, 23:06

Huuh how does that hide the smell of cat piss?

IM just asking! Downy, Dawn, PINE SOL what? Damn I'm gettin crotchety and Old! WOO!

Cap full of Baking soda in the regular wash, don't forget the tennis balls for the dryer.

karoberts
12-19-2008, 00:50
How do you get rid of the pine sol smell?

It will naturally dissipate as it dries.

Tuombe247
12-19-2008, 03:09
just got back from walmart and saw some air cleaner spray in between the isles...sometimes you actually find something in there other than candy, chapstick, and slinkies!

MOWGLI
12-19-2008, 08:56
wash it. in the washing machine.

Front loader. Dry with tennis balls in the dryer.

Farr Away
12-19-2008, 11:17
There's a product called odorzout which I've used successfully to remove cat smell from my basement. It's granulated and will take odors out of the air, so I think you could probably put some of it in a closet with the sleeping bag.

Having said that, I'd wash it. I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke.