PDA

View Full Version : Trails near Austin, TX?

ATX-Hiker
12-17-2008, 18:42
Does anybody know of any good hiking trails around Austin that would make a good 2 or 3 nighter? I read about the lone star trail, but it seems as if it's closed.

Arizona
12-17-2008, 19:02
Try the Goodwater Loop. It goes around Lake Georgetown north of Austin. It is about 28 miles long, and there are places to camp every 4 or 5 miles. There is normally a fee to use the park, but if you tell them you will be backpacking, it is free. I was there a few weeks ago, and only saw day hikers. You will need to carry water, or filter it from the lake.

ATX-Hiker
12-17-2008, 19:05
Try the Goodwater Loop. It goes around Lake Georgetown north of Austin. It is about 28 miles long, and there are places to camp every 4 or 5 miles. There is normally a fee to use the park, but if you tell them you will be backpacking, it is free. I was there a few weeks ago, and only saw day hikers. You will need to carry water, or filter it from the lake.

I did part of the loop a few weeks ago, I've hiked it thru a couple of times. You know of any other's, with in a 3 or 4 hour drive from austin?

Arizona
12-17-2008, 19:33
Turkey Creek Trail- Big Thicket Preserve, East Texas
While this trail is fairly flat, I found it interesting. It had a good variety of flora with pine forest, hardwood forest and swamps. I saw a magnolia tree for the first time and a pitcher plant. I had to get a permit at the visitor center, but as I remember, I think it was free. There is no water, but you can cache some by one of the roads that cut through the trail.

Red Hat
12-18-2008, 12:43
Two possibilities:
The Somerville Trail is a 13 mile trail joining two state parks (BirchCreek and Nails Creek) You might want to do it out and back over a couple of days for a 26 miler. Best part is between Yegua Creek and Nails Creek State Park with nice views.

I didn't know that they ever closed the whole Lone Star Hiking Trail. Parts of it on the east were closed after hurricane Ike, but I'm pretty sure the western part is okay and open. You might want to try from the west end to Stubblefield Campground.

ATX-Hiker
12-18-2008, 13:04
Red Hat do you know where I can get some decent maps of the Lone Star Trail the ones on their website aren't very good?

Red Hat
12-19-2008, 11:47
you might contact nacona as she was writing a guidebook. I don't know of anything other that the ones on the website. I've hiked most of the trail (West end to past HWY 45)using those.

skinewmexico
12-19-2008, 17:58
Huntsville SP looks like it has a big loop.