PDA

View Full Version : Split from Straight Forward: Hotels vs. Hostels

KG4FAM
12-16-2008, 23:25
you staying at the holiday inns or hostels?sometimes it is worth it at the holiday inn. I was just out at the Hiawassee one the other day with some sobos and even after the hiker rate is gone it was 80 bucks. If you throw 4 people in thats 20 bucks a person. Same cost as the Cloud 9 and much nicer.

Lone Wolf
12-16-2008, 23:29
sometimes it is worth it at the holiday inn. I was just out at the Hiawassee one the other day with some sobos and even after the hiker rate is gone it was 80 bucks. If you throw 4 people in thats 20 bucks a person. Same cost as the Cloud 9 and much nicer.

4 hikers sharing a motel room totally sucks

KG4FAM
12-16-2008, 23:30
4 hikers sharing a motel room totally sucksyeah, i wouldn't do it either, but it beats sleeping in the shed at cloud 9

A-Train
12-16-2008, 23:35

Nah, he makes a good point. As much as hostels are steeped in AT tradition, I sometimes wonder why others elect to stay in hostels over motels also, when you could split a room for a similar price.

Motels generally feature better amenities, less rules and more freedom to do things like stay up and watch a great movie, come and go as you please, etc.

Lone Wolf
12-16-2008, 23:37
i loathe hostels but love motels. i never share a room when in town

Rockhound
12-17-2008, 00:17
less rules? more freedom? check in time, check out time, phone deposit, quiet hours, no pets allowed, only 4 to a room, reservations, weekend rates........

freefall
12-17-2008, 00:39
less rules? more freedom? check in time, check out time, phone deposit, quiet hours, no pets allowed, only 4 to a room, reservations, weekend rates........

Lol! I think they meant the hostels tend to have more restrictions such as arrive before 9pm or no alcohol, etc.... Most motels will work with you as long as you are honest. " Sir, me and 7 of my friends are hiking and we would like to share a room." " Ok, extra $20 a night, you want to stay 2 nights? No maid service, here's some extra towels."
One place even offered us some "concierge" service in the form of "green tobacco" by the ounce and some companionship.

You ultimately control the cost of your hike! Minimalist, very few frills for months on end, you can do it for 3k or under. But the extras add up quick. Chip in on a $15 pizza order in every town? That's an extra $250. Go to the AYCE buffett every other town? That would be about $200.
Having your trip paid for by Backpacker or some movie production company? Priceless!

Rockhound
12-17-2008, 00:39
Nah, he makes a good point. As much as hostels are steeped in AT tradition, I sometimes wonder why others elect to stay in hostels over motels also, when you could split a room for a similar price.

Motels generally feature better amenities, less rules and more freedom to do things like stay up and watch a great movie, come and go as you please, etc.
1) it does cost less to stay in hostels 2) they are generally closer to the trail 3) you are with like minded people whom you could share your trail experience with as opposed to indifferent hotel employees and guests 4) log books and pictures from years past and present(AT tradition)to enjoy. 5) often more scenic. its nicer waking up to woods or mountains rather than in some rectangular building between McDonalds and the Mobil station. 6)kitchen facilities. its nice to go out to eat now and then but a good home cooked meal costs less and tastes better 7) dogs are welcome 8) no rigid check-in/check-out times 9)maildrops accepted 10) better info on reroutes, closings, weather, shelter availability etc...

A-Train
12-17-2008, 00:44

I don't buy it. I don't have pet nor do I know what phone deposits are. 4 to a room is simple, check out hour is simple. WHo makes reservations or stays on weekend on a thru-hike?

I guess it comes down to what type of person you are. Waiting on a shower line behind 9 dirty hikers, managing a kitchen with 6 others cooking, figuring out who left the load of laundry before you can start yours, what shuttle run are you back to the trail, gotta watch the crappy movie the guy who got there first picked, quiet at 8pm cause some old guys decided they're going back to the trail at 530am to do a 30......

You get the drift:) I guess we'll agree to disagree, rant over.

Rockhound
12-17-2008, 00:46
dont get me wrong ive stayed in hotels/motels also. but hostels like Standing Bear Farm, the Hikers Welcome, the Bears Den, Back Home Again, Green Mountain House, Elmers, just to name a few would be my pick over a hotel/motel any day.

Rockhound
12-17-2008, 00:51
I don't buy it. I don't have pet nor do I know what phone deposits are. 4 to a room is simple, check out hour is simple. WHo makes reservations or stays on weekend on a thru-hike?

I guess it comes down to what type of person you are. Waiting on a shower line behind 9 dirty hikers, managing a kitchen with 6 others cooking, figuring out who left the load of laundry before you can start yours, what shuttle run are you back to the trail, gotta watch the crappy movie the guy who got there first picked, quiet at 8pm cause some old guys decided they're going back to the trail at 530am to do a 30......

You get the drift:) I guess we'll agree to disagree, rant over.
Death to Smoochie was a cinematic masterpiece. How dare you call it crappy

Sly
12-17-2008, 01:19
What's to argue? Some people like motels, shared or not, over hostels and visa versa. On my 1st AT hike, I stayed mostly in hostels, but as I get older I now prefer motels.

Back to the topic, as David started pointing out but dropped the ball, it depends on long a hike you have. Figure $500-$750 per month.

jersey joe
12-17-2008, 10:03

I agree with A-Train and also think sharing a hotel room with three others is a good alternative to hostels when you get into town. For slightly more money you get a cleaner place with a real bed and shower and a tv.

yappy
12-20-2008, 10:42
I don't sleep well in hostels.. can't run around in your bra and shorts either..lol.. plus, my dog sleeps WAY better in a motel .. where she can relax... and I get ALL the hot water...:) I have done alot of sharing rooms as well to save $. it is'nt bad but having some privacy is a sweet thing. $$$ though.

Jeff
12-20-2008, 11:00
You have to pick your hostels carefully. No motel I ever stayed at had a breakfast like Shaws or The Cabin or Mountain Harbour.

yappy
12-20-2008, 11:14
Yes, there is THAT..Shaws breakfast.. my Lord.. yummy

Tinker
12-20-2008, 12:18
You have to pick your hostels carefully. No motel I ever stayed at had a breakfast like Shaws or The Cabin or Mountain Harbour.

And don't forget White House Landing just off the AT in the Hundred Mile Wilderness.
ONE POUND HAMBURGERS!!!!!! Yes, I ate one, but couldn't go for a second. :D
They have a couple of private cabins and a hiker bunkhouse. I opted for the smallest cabin because I snore and warned my fellow hikers beforehand. They totally backed me on my decison. :p

Red Hat
12-20-2008, 12:20
I don't sleep well in hostels.. can't run around in your bra and shorts either..lol.. plus, my dog sleeps WAY better in a motel .. where she can relax... and I get ALL the hot water...:) I have done alot of sharing rooms as well to save $. it is'nt bad but having some privacy is a sweet thing. $$$ though.

Lets see, you didn't stay the night, as I remember... but you were lying there sunning in something sort of like a bathing suit, or was it your bra and shorts? :D

Dogwood
12-20-2008, 13:26

Now, don't hold back. Tell us what U really feel!

Dogwood
12-20-2008, 13:32
[quote=A-Train;741088]I don't buy it. ... 4 to a room is simple, check out hour is simple.

Anti-social independent I'M GOING TO DO IT MYYY WAY SOB! @#!% Naw Yorkers!

Ron Haven
12-20-2008, 13:40
I think on the trail for a new person that is trying to be conserative.Maybe trying both should soon answer the question to your own judgement.

I know most motels are motels and most hostels are hostels.But for hikers I try to offer a hiker friendly atmosphere in every respect.We offer shuttles,computers,local entertainment,laundry,pet friendly,plenty of food and beer nearby and more.At a rate of $39.99 and $5 for each additional guest inc tax.This is around $14 ea for 4 guest and it feels like a hostel.We also can help with local info and a lot of trail info too.

I know Hike Inn at Fontana,NC & Hiawassee Inn in Hiawassee,Ga is also very hiker organized also but none of these are a 100% hostel.

The Hiker Hostel at Dahlonega,Ga,Mtn Crossings at Neels Gap,Cloud9 & the Blueberry Patch at Hiawassee,Ga,NOC at Wessor,NC,Standing Bear Farm at Hartford,Tn just to mention in my area are all great choices for hostels.

Main thing and most important.Hit the trail with a positive atitude,read guides,ask questions,hike your own hike and most of all.Have FUN.:)

Jack Tarlin
12-20-2008, 13:43
Ron's too modest.

Any hiker passing thru Franklin, NC would be absolutely crazy not to stay at one of Ron's places.

Merry Christmas, Ron, as we'll see you guys soon!

Blissful
12-20-2008, 13:54
yeah, i wouldn't do it either, but it beats sleeping in the shed at cloud 9

I had a nice room in the house.

Ron Haven
12-20-2008, 13:54
Ron's too modest.

Any hiker passing thru Franklin, NC would be absolutely crazy not to stay at one of Ron's places.

Merry Christmas, Ron, as we'll see you guys soon!Jack I hope Santa stops to see you too.

Blissful
12-20-2008, 13:58
We enjoyed these hostels / motels in the south -

Hiker Hostel
Cloud 9
Ron's motel
Hike Inn
Standing Bear
Elmer's (one of his main bedrooms)
we also liked the Holiday Inn - I think it was, in Erwin.
Kincora
Dave's Place

daddytwosticks
12-20-2008, 15:37
OK, sorry...but I just have to ask since my warped, in-the-gutter mind wont rest 'till I get an answer...Ron, what exactly do you mean by "local entertainment?". Merry Christmas to all! :)

KG4FAM
12-20-2008, 16:03
I had a nice room in the house.
Good for you. I had to sleep in the essentially non heated shed with open cell foam mattresses so I am never going to stay at Cloud 9 again. Blueberry Patch or Holiday Inn for me.

Ron Haven
12-20-2008, 16:44
OK, sorry...but I just have to ask since my warped, in-the-gutter mind wont rest 'till I get an answer...Ron, what exactly do you mean by "local entertainment?". Merry Christmas to all! :)It is sure fine for you to ask.There are a few clubs here,skating rink,bowling alley,game rooms,movie theater (http://www.rubycinemas.com/) some enjoy visiting the museums (http://appalachiantrailservices.com/index.php?env=-inlink/index:m263-1-1-1-s&reset=1) If you have a chance,stop by.
:welcome

yappy
12-20-2008, 20:53
Hi Ron, your place rocks and if I were closer I would probably try and move in..:)

4eyedbuzzard
12-20-2008, 21:05

Well now, methinks that depends upon the gender of the other three and their degree of friendliness. ;) :D

Ron Haven
12-20-2008, 23:16
Hi Ron, your place rocks and if I were closer I would probably try and move in..:)If you get down my way stop in,PS bring me Sarah's autograph as you start this way:D

digger51
12-21-2008, 02:49
Obviously someone has not heard of the April Fools Day bash Ron throws in Franklin each year. Have a great Christmas Ron. See you in the spring.

Lone Wolf
12-21-2008, 08:06
Good for you. I had to sleep in the essentially non heated shed with open cell foam mattresses so I am never going to stay at Cloud 9 again. Blueberry Patch or Holiday Inn for me.

whaaaa! plenty of national forest to sleep in :rolleyes:

mweinstone
12-21-2008, 08:13
i squat on lwolfs porch if i want. thats just how us gangsta rappas roll.and if im really down and out, he sings me lullabys and tucks me into my bag. but the best squat on trail is the schoolbus stop in hamburg that says no hikers.

Lone Wolf
12-21-2008, 08:19
dats rite. you mi beotch

ofthearth
12-21-2008, 09:05
C 9 was a great place. Fresh fish for dinner (lots of good people/good food), hot shower, slept out by the stream (peaceful, warm in my bag/tent).:rolleyes:

Marta
12-21-2008, 10:23
You can substantially change the hostel experience with an out-of-season hike.
Some of the hostels where I was the only guest that night:

White House Landing
Rutland (only female hiker there that night)
St. Mary's in Cheshire, MA
Ironmaster's (I was the only hiker; there was a school group staying there as well)
Rusty's
Bear's Den
The Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega

Since I was mostly hiking alone, and often camping alone, finding more solitude in a motel room was not necessarily a good thing.

KG4FAM
12-21-2008, 11:18
whaaaa! plenty of national forest to sleep in :rolleyes:well if I had to choose between the two I would take the woods. A piece of foam and a unheated shack isn't much different than sleeping in the woods.

yappy
12-21-2008, 11:47
lol Ron, hey.. did ya know I make a mean bed and am a vacuum loving junkie ? I mean you NEED me to help you !

Serial 07
12-21-2008, 13:08
i didn't see too many, if any, references to sutton's place in hampton, TN...i know it's right after kincora, which is nice...yes, bob is great, but sutton's manor has so much character, isn't too expensive ($10), you will most likely get the place to yourself, and the little town of hampton sells beer and has a place for resupply...i've stayed with sutton both years i hiked and am glad i did...it's an easy hike from kincora to sutton's (especially if you take the old AT into hampton and skip ponds (or pond's) flat...which i dislike anyway...digressing...) and makes an easy near-0...

go check out sutton's manor in hampton, TN...if not just to spread some AT wealth (money and story exchange) to a man who loves hikers as much as anybody...

Jeff
12-21-2008, 14:14
Agree with you Serial, Suttons has been off the hikers radar since Kincora started up. Bob Peoples is one of a kind, but during thruhiker season, the hostel is a busy, busy place. If you like a little privacy Suttons in Hampton is a fine alternative.

yappy
12-21-2008, 15:37
I stayed at both in 05. We hiked the 9 in a storm and pulled into Suttons...it was very quiet and comfy. You are right. I forgot about that place !

hopefulhiker
12-21-2008, 18:26
My favorite hotel on the AT is in Gorham, forget the exact name, I think it is the Royal hotel, they had an indoor swimming pool, hot tubs, and good resturaunt, It was great after coming out of the Whites! but generally I prefered the hostels....

Ron Haven
12-21-2008, 18:38
lol Ron, hey.. did ya know I make a mean bed and am a vacuum loving junkie ? I mean you NEED me to help you !I always need maids.

weary
12-22-2008, 00:17
dont get me wrong ive stayed in hotels/motels also. but hostels like Standing Bear Farm, the Hikers Welcome, the Bears Den, Back Home Again, Green Mountain House, Elmers, just to name a few would be my pick over a hotel/motel any day.
Me to!

weary
12-22-2008, 00:24
Ron's too modest.

Merry Christmas, Ron, as we'll see you guys soon!
Especially, since Rainbow Springs closed.

Blue Wolf
12-22-2008, 00:34
I think Laurel Fork Lodge, the Standing Bear, and the Kinkora are all awesome hostels I liked the Cloud 9 when I was there in 07 I spoke with Laura a few weeks back and she said they probaly won't be open this year due to financial reasons.

take-a-knee
12-22-2008, 00:52
sometimes it is worth it at the holiday inn. I was just out at the Hiawassee one the other day with some sobos and even after the hiker rate is gone it was 80 bucks. If you throw 4 people in thats 20 bucks a person. Same cost as the Cloud 9 and much nicer.

Well, I don't think Cloud Nine was open so that is a moot point. The Hiawassee Inn has good beds and hot showers, $3 laundry service (quick too!) and their rate plus round trip shuttle to the trailhead was less than you paid at the Holiday Inn. The place reminds me a lot of Ron Haven's in Franklin.

yappy
12-22-2008, 09:52
lol Ron.. don't tempt me.. is that ayce still there ? it sure is a pretty area...:)

Ron Haven
12-22-2008, 10:00
lol Ron.. don't tempt me.. is that ayce still there ? it sure is a pretty area...:)we have several

yappy
12-22-2008, 10:23
I have 4 dogs..that seem to think my pillow is thier pillow.. oh yeah, and a husband.. haha... but, he travels too and the dude can fix anything ! Are ya still coming to Alaska ?

katahdin kid 08
12-22-2008, 12:09
As a couple trying a thru hike in 2008 that needed blood samples drawn about every 15 days from a lab, we discovered the best alternative was to stay in hostel along the trail. This resulting in spending considerable time with about 12 of the hostel owners ... all of which were graceous HOST in their own special way !!! The experience of meeting these hostel owners and the hikers that stayed overnight was a special part of the AT experience for Tiger Bomb & Katahdin Kid. Who can Foget the hospitality and friendship we received in Franklin NC at Ron Haven Place, I will always remember the group of 8 hikers I met at Cloud 9 who hike with us for ~6 months, our conversations with Paul & Jamie Rennaud (Ole Man & Navigator) during a 10 day stay the Appalachian Lodge in August waiting for the rain to stop and the wind to get below 40 mph so we could summit Katahdin, the 3 wise MEN at the MAYOR's House in Unionville NY during a 4 day stop over, or spending time talking with Bob Peoples and his interests or the conversation with Pat People during our car ride to/from Elizabethtown for our lab test in June 2008. Listening to her talk about personal interest ..... What a treat !!! Yes meeting people along the AT has been a part of the journey that I will always remember just as the beauty and the difficulty of hiking from Springer to Katahdin has been.

DavidNH
12-22-2008, 12:21
I don't see this as an either or. Do a mix of both.

For example in Franklin there was a hotel (saphire Inn I think it was) that was really comfy and incredibly cheap--like under 40 bucks..that's almost unheard of for a hotel room!

on Hostels, I want to speak up about cloud 9 in Hiawassee. I don't see why any one would not want to stay there.

1) they pick you up at trail
2) only 20 bucks (2006 prices)
3) nice home, very comfy beds and linens, showers and towels.
how could one not be happy here?

The dutch haus is a not to miss hostel. As comfy as a hotel, way cheaper, and hikers get free lunch even if you do not stay there. 20 more bucks or so and you can have a solid dinner and breakfast!

Sunnybank Inn and Shaws also stand out to me as first rate hostels.

Back to hotels though, there are times when it is worth it to splurge. You've done a long day or long couple of days.. you have lack of sleep, your stuff is wet, you are dog tired. spend some dough and get clean, refreshed and ready to go. I did this several times on my hike and it really put me back in shape.

If at all possible, have enough money before your hike and you will be able to have this choice. can make the trip that much more pleasant!

DavidNH