PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on emergency contact

BearII
12-17-2008, 22:39
Hi Folks,

I'm curious what those of you that have thru-hiked have done about the need for someone to get in touch with you in an emergency while you're on the trail. I'm currently strapped to a cell day and night for my businesses and was REALLY looking forward to NOT having the headache of always being in contact AND not having the weight on the trail. However, loved ones have correctly pointed out, "well if there is an emergency how do we get in touch with you?"

This is not a trivial matter, besides having three wonderful grown kids I have lots of close family members and friends. If something did happen I would want to be there for them. On top of that there may be a rare urgent business matter due to some businesses I'm liquidating to prep for the next part of my life (being a homeless vagabond wandering the world) that I may have to deal with briefly with lawyers somehow.

So I scratched my head and besides carrying that freakin' umbilical cord of society (yes, I mean a cell) how do people do it??

Your thoughts and advice appreciated!

Lone Wolf
12-17-2008, 23:37
ask to borrow someone else's cell. 9 out of 10 hikers carry one

superman
12-17-2008, 23:41
My sons are in their 30s now. I'm comfortable that in the event something happens they are completely capable of dealing with it. Shoot, I only go 3 or 4 days on the AT unitl I resupply. Some times I even check with them to see if I got any mail I should know about.:)

Tuombe247
12-17-2008, 23:41
you could buy a cheapy cell I guess...give your number to certain people only

kayak karl
12-17-2008, 23:53
or e-mail only. that's the rules i'm leaving. urgency is over rated :)

Gaiter
12-17-2008, 23:56
give your main contact a guide book and communicate w/ them where you will be stopping next, that way in an emergency they can leave a msg for you when you get to that stop, but if they are calling every hostel ahead of you arriving, you might wanna just carry a cell

drastic_quench
12-18-2008, 00:12
I've thought about this myself, and this is what I've come up with:

I'm not Superman.

Seriously, a loved one is sick, hurt, missing, etc - what would I be able to do about it even if I could instantly fly home? Squat. Whatever it is, however tragic, I'll find out in three days when I hit town and phone home. That's actually a reasonable amount of time once you break people of the I-can-contact-anyone-24/7 mentality.

Marta
12-18-2008, 07:49
You can carry a cell phone with you, turned OFF. Check for messages every once in a while. Make sure your family understands that you will not always have a signal and that, furthermore, it would run down the battery if you left the thing on all the time. Don't promise to call every day at a certain time, or anything like that, or the phone will end up running your hike.

budforester
12-18-2008, 09:44
My phone is turned off and stashed in the pack. Family and friends have been advised that they can leave a text or voice message (It will accept email, but I don't advertise that). In my "phone- turned- off" greeting, I state that I am often out of cell- phone range, but will try to check messages most days.

BearII
12-18-2008, 09:53
ask to borrow someone else's cell. 9 out of 10 hikers carry one

Nope, never have been or will be a freeloader...

My sons are in their 30s now. I'm comfortable that in the event something happens they are completely capable of dealing with it. Shoot, I only go 3 or 4 days on the AT unitl I resupply. Some times I even check with them to see if I got any mail I should know about.:)

I've thought about this myself, and this is what I've come up with:

I'm not Superman.

Seriously, a loved one is sick, hurt, missing, etc - what would I be able to do about it even if I could instantly fly home? Squat. Whatever it is, however tragic, I'll find out in three days when I hit town and phone home. That's actually a reasonable amount of time once you break people of the I-can-contact-anyone-24/7 mentality.

Good points, we raised the kids to be able to make their own decisions and they have been doing really well. I guess what I'm wrestling with is that while I'm definitely not Superman if there was a serious accident and someone ended up in the hospital I'd really want to know asap so I could be there.

Of course, it's not the kids that are concerned at all, they are completely supportive, its the little lady that is most worried about this matter. You know Mom's, always want to be sure everyone is covered! :sun

Yet you have an excellent point about the 24/7 mentality, for the older folks here, I can you still remember very fondly the days when there were no cell phones!! :eek: Heck, I remember when answering machines were a novelty!!!! :eek: :eek: Imagine that, we actually had to rely on someone to get back to us. I get a kick out of it when someone calls now and is all pissed off when you don't pick up.

You can carry a cell phone with you, turned OFF. Check for messages every once in a while. Make sure your family understands that you will not always have a signal and that, furthermore, it would run down the battery if you left the thing on all the time. Don't promise to call every day at a certain time, or anything like that, or the phone will end up running your hike.

My phone is turned off and stashed in the pack. Family and friends have been advised that they can leave a text or voice message (It will accept email, but I don't advertise that). In my "phone- turned- off" greeting, I state that I am often out of cell- phone range, but will try to check messages most days.

Marta/Bud, this approach seems like a reasonable compromise. I'm thinking I'm going to have to break down and carry a cell and follow your advice. Appreciate the input, any other ideas?

Marta
12-18-2008, 10:10
My only other suggestion is to practice this behavior ahead of time on weekend and holiday hikes. If you have people who are used to being able to call you 24/7, it will take them--and you--some practice to get used to not having you on that leash.

BearII
12-18-2008, 10:15
My only other suggestion is to practice this behavior ahead of time on weekend and holiday hikes. If you have people who are used to being able to call you 24/7, it will take them--and you--some practice to get used to not having you on that leash.

Ah, break us all in slow, I like that (and full leash removal)!

Lone Wolf
12-18-2008, 10:16
Nope, never have been or will be a freeloader

then just carry your own damn phone like everyone else

Pedaling Fool
12-18-2008, 10:37
...the next part of my life (being a homeless vagabond wandering the world) that I may have to deal with briefly with lawyers somehow.

So I scratched my head and besides carrying that freakin' umbilical cord of society (yes, I mean a cell) how do people do it??

Your thoughts and advice appreciated!
Homeless Vegabond -- dying breed, don't try and be something you can't be. You'll just have to keep your umbilical cord to society.

Blue Jay
12-18-2008, 10:43
I'm thinking I'm going to have to break down and carry a cell and follow your advice. Appreciate the input, any other ideas?

Like there was a snowballs chance in H#** that you were not going to carry one. :banana

BearII
12-18-2008, 10:48
Homeless Vegabond -- dying breed, don't try and be something you can't be. You'll just have to keep your umbilical cord to society.

I've got the homeless part down pat, we sold our house in August! Yeah! Getting ready to launch the official vagabond part with the commencement of the thru-hike in March. After the thru-hike the wifey and I are taking off on our motorcycles to ride around the world (literally). First leg is planned, from the east coast to Prudhoe Bay, AK (farthest road north in the world) to Tierra Del Fugo (farthest road south in the world) with a quick trip by boat over to Antartica. From there we'll see whether our roads take us to Africa or Europe, only time will tell!!

Regardless, I think you may be correct, the "umbilical" cord may have to remain.

Tinker
12-18-2008, 11:18
Take the phone. You might just save some unfortunate soul who doesn't carry one. Recharging might be the only issue. You'll have to carry the charger or put it in a bump box or put your faith in the possibility that someone else has a charger that will work with your phone.
Yes, keep it turned off until you need it. The second half of the Hundred Mile Wilderness pretty much rendered my phone unuseable. I couldn't get a signal even at Abol Bridge (Verizon - "Can you hear me now?" - Nope! :p).

berninbush
12-18-2008, 11:49
You could go for the lightest, tiniest, least-featured phone available... something that only makes and receives calls. And keep it turned off.

Or you could go for something like what I've got, the Sony Erickson Walkman, that also does decent digital pictures and plays mp3's-- that might make sense if you had planned on a camera and/or mp3 player. My phone is tiny and light and goes with me everywhere, because otherwise I'd never remember to carry and use a proper camera. It even has "flight mode" where you can use it just for the camera/mp3, not receiving calls, if you don't want to be disturbed.

OR you could look into one of those new satellite gadgets where you can press a button to let your family know you're ok, and they can send you an alert to call home (I think). I seem to remember seeing a less-than-stellar review of those, though.

Lone Wolf
12-18-2008, 11:51
i cannot believe just 15 years ago NOBODY hiked with a cell phone. simply amazing. so dangerous

BearII
12-18-2008, 12:01
i cannot believe just 15 years ago NOBODY hiked with a cell phone. simply amazing. so dangerous

It is amazing how much that little gadget has changed things. Although to be clear, in my case I'm not concerned about my safety on the trail. I've always found a way to make it through any adversity.

This is about those who want to get in touch with me in the event of an emergency. And yes, for my loved ones, I would want to know about an event and be there if at all possible. This is definitely NOT about having to make calls every day or any other kind of nonsense! Limiting/breaking the "umbilical" effect as some have suggested is very important to me. I need the down time, the away time, to accomplish my goals for this adventure! Getting on the cell or even texting does NOT remotely fit into those goals.

Lone Wolf
12-18-2008, 12:05
never have and never will own a cell phone

Ender
12-18-2008, 12:41

Ha! That's funny, and very true. People talk about the AT like it's some vast wilderness where there's constant danger... it's not. Heck, usually it's less than 15 miles to a road at any given point.

Next time I do a long hike I'll carry a cell phone, but it will have nothing to do with safety... I'll just want to keep in touch with my wife. That's one umbilical cord I'm happy to keep attached.

BearII
12-18-2008, 12:42
never have and never will own a cell phone

interesting, I'm surprised you own a computer. you seem to post about as much as my daughter text messages! :rolleyes: You know if you owned one of those cool multi purpose cells you could post on WB while hiking. With all the WB posting you do when do you actually hike?? :-?

Red Hat
12-18-2008, 12:48
Years ago no one carried a cell phone, but years ago there were pay phones in most all towns. Now they are few and far between. That's why I ended up getting rid of my pocketmail and using a cell. (turned off in my pack, but on for making calls in town)

This year No Car managed to speak to his wife everyday but one on his cell. Pretty cool!

Lone Wolf
12-18-2008, 12:51
interesting, I'm surprised you own a computer. you seem to post about as much as my daughter text messages! :rolleyes: You know if you owned one of those cool multi purpose cells you could post on WB while hiking. With all the WB posting you do when do you actually hike?? :-?

i'm a cyber hiker. a packsniffer. a wannabe

saimyoji
12-18-2008, 13:07
wolf walks the at everyday...on his way to and from Dot's. :cool:

Tinker
12-18-2008, 13:08
Bear II, meet Lone Wolf.

Lone Wolf, meet Bear II.
:D:D

Bear II, LW has his own way of doing everything.
He has done more for more hikers, from what I understand, than I could possibly do (in that I live pretty far from the trail).
He's ok.

Lone Wolf
12-18-2008, 13:09
wolf walks the at everyday...on his way to and from Dot's. :cool:

nope. i drive

Rockhound
12-18-2008, 13:30
what about the whole cell phone/brain cancer issue? id hate to get brain cancer second hand from all those cell phone users on the trail.

ofthearth
12-18-2008, 14:07

Good one :eek::eek::eek::eek:

If staying in touch is that important and you will be on the phone a lot you can always carry a spare battery. Very light and the ones I've carried keep their charge.

JAK
12-18-2008, 14:14
I got rid of my cell phone years ago, but use my wife's when I go on overnight hikes. I use it once a day, to leave a message of where I am and what my plans are. If my wife answers, I just give her the message. If my wife wants to get a hold of me she changes the outgoing message. Like..

"You have reached the home of ... please leave a message."
changed to
"You have reached the home of ... please leave a message. JAK call after ..."

JAK
12-18-2008, 14:15
... or JAK, this is the wife's new boyfriend. Just keep walkin.

Marta
12-18-2008, 14:16
Good one :eek::eek::eek::eek:

If staying in touch is that important and you will be on the phone a lot you can always carry a spare battery. Very light and the ones I've carried keep their charge.

My emphasis. In general, I don't think it's a good idea to plan to be on the phone a lot. (And it doesn't sound as if the OP is planning to be.) I have run into hikers who are so tightly connected to folks back home that it, IMO, prett' near ruins their hike. (For example, I hiked for a while with a guy who spent 1-2 hours per day on the phone with his wife. Pretty soon he decided to leave the Trail and go home.)

Cut the cord.

Drop the leash.

When you're on the Trail, be present on the Trail, mentally as well as physically.

Every few days, allow yourself to check out mentally and visit family and friends for a little while. Maybe keep a journal, public or private, or write letters to let them know how it's going and what it's like.

But mostly, live in the present, where you are, instead of wishing you were somewhere else and with someone else.

Wise Old Owl
12-18-2008, 14:36

Now,... that is funny thar!:D

Lone Wolf
12-18-2008, 14:37
yeah. it really is! :D

Wise Old Owl
12-18-2008, 14:44
what about the whole cell phone/brain cancer issue? id hate to get brain cancer second hand from all those cell phone users on the trail.

You cannot be serious... .6 of a watt? 1300 mhz? digital magnetic microwave, come on. Most of the worries stopped about ten years ago, but my head continues to get bigger....:eek:

Feral Bill
12-18-2008, 14:44

The woods are littered with their bones.

Lone Wolf
12-18-2008, 14:47
The woods are littered with their bones.

it's absolutely mind boggling how i've hiked 16,000 miles on the AT without a cell phone (or treating water, or bear bagging or leki poles or...) i'm an amazing hiker. god like

Wise Old Owl
12-18-2008, 14:51
May the force be with you!

ofthearth
12-18-2008, 15:10
My emphasis. In general, I don't think it's a good idea to plan to be on the phone a lot. (And it doesn't sound as if the OP is planning to be.) I have run into hikers who are so tightly connected to folks back home that it, IMO, prett' near ruins their hike. (For example, I hiked for a while with a guy who spent 1-2 hours per day on the phone with his wife. Pretty soon he decided to leave the Trail and go home.)

Cut the cord.

Drop the leash.

When you're on the Trail, be present on the Trail, mentally as well as physically.

Every few days, allow yourself to check out mentally and visit family and friends for a little while. Maybe keep a journal, public or private, or write letters to let them know how it's going and what it's like.

But mostly, live in the present, where you are, instead of wishing you were somewhere else and with someone else.

The suggestion of a spare battery is/was just a way(my way) to be more disconnected. Did not have to worry about charging as often. :rolleyes:

And Marta are you going to be doing your biscuits? :)

Blissful
12-18-2008, 15:17
I used the cell to stay in contact with my hubby. It was good to call for rides to hostels and other times to make rendezvous meetings. I felt the weight worth it to give peace of mind to those back home who were supporting our endeavor. If the technology is there, why not use it if others at home would like to stay in contact. And believe me, after a rough day (and there are many on the AT) you will need that friendly voice from back home - it may be the one voice that helps you make it.

Marta
12-18-2008, 15:23
The suggestion of a spare battery is/was just a way(my way) to be more disconnected. Did not have to worry about charging as often. :rolleyes:

And Marta are you going to be doing your biscuits? :)

A spare battery isn't a bad idea. I carried a couple for my camera. :D

The phone I carried (yeah, I carry a cell phone on longish hikes because I'm too lazy to hunt for pay phones) had a tremendous battery life, though, so I didn't need a spare for it.

Check the spreadsheet, Sunday morning. Are you going to man the ovens?

And I can see why Sly is a bit concerned about the food--the spreadsheet is pretty doggone empty right now. A LOT more people on the Nametag list than there are on the Bringing Food list. There are gonna be a lot of hungry hikers if folks don't step up to the plate, as it were.

ofthearth
12-19-2008, 12:47
A spare battery isn't a bad idea. I carried a couple for my camera. :D

The phone I carried (yeah, I carry a cell phone on longish hikes because I'm too lazy to hunt for pay phones) had a tremendous battery life, though, so I didn't need a spare for it.

Check the spreadsheet, Sunday morning. Are you going to man the ovens?

And I can see why Sly is a bit concerned about the food--the spreadsheet is pretty doggone empty right now. A LOT more people on the Nametag list than there are on the Bringing Food list. There are gonna be a lot of hungry hikers if folks don't step up to the plate, as it were.

I would think the whole idea of "technology" is to use what works (HYOH_LYOL) for you to increase (not distract from) your enjoyment of the woods/hike/life. I don't see to many people hiking with a gunney sack:D.
Yes, I'll be on the ovens(one way to get them baked like I like them ;)). Guess I need to get on the stick and sign up. Noticed on another thread that someone was waiting to see what was needed in the way of food before they signed up. Sort of what I was doing (food and labor).

"There are gonna be a lot of hungry hikers if folks don't step up to the plate, as it were." Good one:rolleyes::rolleyes: