PDA

View Full Version : Class of 2011

hikingbear
12-17-2008, 23:50
I am planning for a 2011 thru hike. I know that is well down the road but I need the time to follow a tight budget to save money to cover my expenses back home while out backpacking.

healthymom
12-18-2008, 00:44
My son and I will be NOBO '11. I gotta get this one old enough and the other one out of the house, then I'm free!!
healthymom:welcome

healthymom
12-18-2008, 01:03
My son and I are planning a field trip to Bill Jackson's in St Pete next Mon. We'll probably also stop by the outfitters on SoHo here in Tampa to see their expanded line. Although when I stopped by their site, they looked like mostly a clothing store.
Are you a member of FTA? I'm looking at their activities. The only one I can see fitting into my schedule right now is the walkabout at Lettuce Lake this Sun morning. Since my husband's BD is Sat, I'm not sure if I'll be up early enough to go, but would like to.

hikingbear
12-18-2008, 01:18
My son and I are planning a field trip to Bill Jackson's in St Pete next Mon. We'll probably also stop by the outfitters on SoHo here in Tampa to see their expanded line. Although when I stopped by their site, they looked like mostly a clothing store.
Are you a member of FTA? I'm looking at their activities. The only one I can see fitting into my schedule right now is the walkabout at Lettuce Lake this Sun morning. Since my husband's BD is Sat, I'm not sure if I'll be up early enough to go, but would like to.

I just went to Bill Jackson's last night. Must have been there for about two and a half hours. The employees were great! I got some needed items but am still holding out on the big items like tent and sleeping bag. They are having AT Clinic in Feb. I signed up for it.
I have not been to the outfitters in Tampa. I am not a member of the FTA but was actually just looking at that the other day. It would probably be a good idea to join. Do you have any long distance backpaking experience?

healthymom
12-18-2008, 01:33
No, we haven't done any LD hiking yet. We did a 19 mile day from Hillsborough River State Park earlier this year. We're looking to do the Croom Trail as soon as I get a big enough hole in my schedule. I'm on call 24/7, so finding escape time is difficult.:o I think we can do it in 2 days, but want to allow 3 just in case.

hikingbear
12-18-2008, 01:41
I am new to LD hiking also. Maybe we can help each other out. I need hiking partners since my friends are not into it and being a female I am to scare going out by my self.

healthymom
12-18-2008, 02:12
I am new to LD hiking also. Maybe we can help each other out. I need hiking partners since my friends are not into it and being a female I am to scare going out by my self.
I'd love to hook up sometime!:banana Email me privately and we can talk about it. I had a female hiking buddy, but she got married. Still says she's going, but I really doubt it. If you click on my handle, you should go to my profile. One of the tabs says 'contact info'. Click on that and there will be a link to email. Drop me a line. I'm going to bed with my wine and "There are Mountains to Climb." It's by a woman who thruhiked by herself.
Looking orward to talking with you soon!
healthymom

Gorp-Gobbler
12-18-2008, 15:01
Hi! hikingbear and healthymom:

Welcome to the Class of 2011. I'm planning a Thru-Hike starting April 1st of that year.

I just came on this site to check my thread that I brought back to the surface yesterday and found this one.

I've been section hiking the trail since 73' and hope to do a few more section hikes as well as several hikes here in Southern Indiana before the 2011 date.

If you have any questions I'd be glad to answer them for you, if I can.

You can send me a PM anytime from this site or drop me an E-mail.

Take care and again :welcome
Gorp-Gobbler

Blissful
12-18-2008, 15:22
My son and I will be NOBO '11. I gotta get this one old enough and the other one out of the house, then I'm free!!
healthymom:welcome

I hiked the trail with my 16 yr old son in '07. If you want to talk about anything, PM me.

As for me, I am still tentatively planning a 2011 SOBO - we'll see how the job front goes, etc.

Gorp-Gobbler
12-18-2008, 18:12
I hiked the trail with my 16 yr old son in '07. If you want to talk about anything, PM me.

As for me, I am still tentatively planning a 2011 SOBO - we'll see how the job front goes, etc.

Blissful I am so sorry to learn of your loss. I know what you must be feeling having loss pets myself over the years. I was even sadden when I lost an Oscar that I'd transported in a Coleman Cooler from Ohio. He survived the trip but died 8 months later.

When are you planning on leaving for your SOBO hike? My plans are for an April 1st launch NOBO.

Blissful
12-18-2008, 20:24
Blissful I am so sorry to learn of your loss. I know what you must be feeling having loss pets myself over the years. I was even sadden when I lost an Oscar that I'd transported in a Coleman Cooler from Ohio. He survived the trip but died 8 months later.

When are you planning on leaving for your SOBO hike? My plans are for an April 1st launch NOBO.

Thanks so much.

I hope to leave as early in June as I can - depending on the weather on Katahdin and Maine.

April 1 is a HUGE start day, just to let you know - you will be with a crowd for a while.

healthymom
12-18-2008, 23:20
Blissful, I'd love to hear about hiking with your son. Wilser will be 16, turning 17 on our hike. How did you prep him?
Right now we're doing hikes around here. But there is very little elevation gain in FL.
I'm sorry to hear about your Lady. I had to put our Shelley down this week. She lost all control of the muscles in her back end. She spent nearly 12 years with us. Her companion, our Aussie, has been wandering around looking for his sister.

Rockhead
01-08-2009, 17:45
Hi HealthyMom and Hiking Bear,
I'm planning on starting from Flagg Mt. on the Pinhoti on Feb14, 2011. Between the thread that Gorp-Gobbler started and this one, its nice to know so many people are planning for their hike already.:clap Hope to meet you on the trail if not sooner.:)

Blissful
01-12-2009, 22:32
Hey 2011ers. The hike is not that far away, really!

I got excited just mentioning it. Planning for me helps ease Springer fever.

FritztheCat
01-13-2009, 13:05
Odd thing. I'm looking forward more to my April 1st, 2011 start date then I am my October 31st, 2010 retirement date. I'm more than ready to retire, just more excited about taking a long stroll in the woods. :)

garbanz
01-27-2009, 21:03
I was in the class of '68 in high school. Now Im in the class of 2011 and feel younger than ever!:sun

NorseWoman
01-28-2009, 17:55
Our 2010 thruhike date is now postponed till 2011. One hiking partner has a job issue and can't get away in 2010, this postponement will allow me to get in better financial shape so I am not too disappointed. Have $$ saved for trip but the need to quit job in 2010 would create $$ issues.
And I'll have more time to update some gear. I'll do a week AT trip in May and hopefully 5 or so shorter AT trips
Glad to join the rest of you 2011's
Nana

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/misc/progress.gif

gravy4601
03-27-2009, 12:09
I planing 2010 thru hike and would have like to go 2009 but the economy is so slow if it its like this next year I might have to hold off another year I sure hope not but this is giving me a chance to get in another couple hundred miles in section hiking before the the time comes to hit the whole trail

Blissful
03-27-2009, 13:29
Sounds like a good plan. :)

Buckeye Hike
04-07-2009, 13:56
Hello,

I am planning, saving, and trainning for a NOBO hike starting March 15th 2011. Just figured i would see who else is planning to hike around this time...and if anyone wants to talk about different ideas for saving and buying gear.

healthymom
04-07-2009, 22:15
My son and I are planning, saving and training for a March 2011 thru as well. I won't know our date of departure until about 4-5 days before we go. I'm in the birth business, and will be leaving after my last Feb '11 baby is born. I will be packed and ready to go before the mom goes into labor. :)

For the time being, we're training by doing a few day hikes and as many longer ones as I can get away for. Getting away at all is tough when you're oncall 24/7.

Got a good deal on a steripen today. :sun

Am probably looking at bags/pads next. Which brings me to a question. My son (now 14) has been camping and hiking with me since he was about 3. He has never expressed a need for a sleeping pad when we've primitive camped. Now he tells me that he doesn't feel he'll need one for our thru. Should I trust that? Or should I put aside a little extra because he's going to need one whether he knows it or not?:-?
Dee

Blissful
04-07-2009, 22:18
Get him a Thermarest z rest. It's what my son used throughout. And if he ever wants to be in a shelter those floors get mighty hard after a long day of hiking week after week.

Buckeye Hike
04-07-2009, 22:35
Hey there...I'm getting pretty pumped even though its almost 2yrs away. I would also recommend a therma rest for your son. The padding is great and all but the main purpose is to get him off the cold ground. Hope all works out.

Mr.President
04-07-2009, 22:47
Hello everyone, Im glad to meet some people that I might meet on the AT. My friend and I are plan a thru hike april 1st 2011. I would love to any kind of advice to help me prepare better. thanks

Tucky
04-12-2009, 20:22
I'm planning a SOBO hike in 2011 starting in mid to late June. I figure this will be as good a time as any because I'll be transitioning from graduate school to working, or possibly more graduate school...

I wish everyone luck with planning and hope that everyone trying to get out for the 2011 season can make it happen!

- Tucky

LockJaww
05-07-2009, 13:12
Hello all....Another Class of 2011 hiker checking in. Trip planning still in its infancy but I figured this forum was a good place to gather information. Interesting to see the Florida hikers posting in this thread. I lived in Florida for years and used to go to the Smokies to hike two or three times a year.

Miu
05-07-2009, 18:14
Me too! Trying to get back out there in 2011!

DylanD
05-07-2009, 18:47
Hey everyone :) April 1 2011 is my date. Can't wait :D

JokerJersey
05-08-2009, 08:42
Unless something drastic changes in my life between now and then (god forbid)...

April 1st 2011 NOBO for me as well. Gear is already taken care of, at least until I see what I like and don't like and whittle away the dead weight. This year for training, next year for conditioning, then away we go!

AlaskaMike
05-18-2009, 10:29
My wife and I will retire next summer and are planning to do a southbound flip flop hike starting in March 2011. I look forward to talking with all of you and meeting you on the trail.

Foyt20
05-18-2009, 11:11
I posted in the 2010 class, and then started doing some math. Just was not going to work out financially. 2011 may be better, but 2012 may be best.

Just have to see where the money is, cause right now, i dont got none :D

big_feet
05-20-2009, 00:49
I am also planning a 2011 NOBO hike around the last of Feb. or early Mar. hope to see you all.

bluffhead
05-30-2009, 17:42
hikingbear about when what month are u plannig on starting?

thepitts
07-09-2009, 11:16
Hello?
Forgive me if I make any mistakes, I'm new to the whole forum thing...
My name's Steven, and myself and a friend of mine are firmly determined and exited about a South-bound thru-hike after we graduate in 2011. We camp and hike often, normally for no more than 2 or 3 nights at a time, but towards the end of summer we will start to dip into more long-distance adventures.
I have been trying hard to do the necessary planing myself, I have read books a-plenty but I desperatly need to ask real people some real questions (and I have LOTS). So i'm realy exited about this site and i hope i'm posting on the right page...
sooo.. am I in the right place? might i be worthy of haveing a few (or a lot) of my questions answered, I'd appreciate it more than you know!
Thanks!

Blissful
07-09-2009, 12:35
Hello?
Forgive me if I make any mistakes, I'm new to the whole forum thing...
My name's Steven, and myself and a friend of mine are firmly determined and exited about a South-bound thru-hike after we graduate in 2011. We camp and hike often, normally for no more than 2 or 3 nights at a time, but towards the end of summer we will start to dip into more long-distance adventures.
I have been trying hard to do the necessary planing myself, I have read books a-plenty but I desperatly need to ask real people some real questions (and I have LOTS). So i'm realy exited about this site and i hope i'm posting on the right page...
sooo.. am I in the right place? might i be worthy of haveing a few (or a lot) of my questions answered, I'd appreciate it more than you know!
Thanks!

Start by reading the articles on here and doing searches on threads. Lots of info too.

thepitts
07-09-2009, 13:31
Will do.
Muchas Garcias

ukflatfoot
07-18-2009, 10:05
I am planning for a 2011 thru hike. I know that is well down the road but I need the time to follow a tight budget to save money to cover my expenses back home while out backpacking.

Whew and I thought I was starting to plan too early!

Greetings fellow hikers, trail name here is UKFlatfoot and after doing some research and soul searching, I am in the April class of 2011 NOBO!

It was a tough decision for me. Although my first major trail experience was on the AT when I was a boy scout, when I was in the Air Force I was near the CDT and saw the beauty out there.

So I have been going back and forth over the past few months trying to decide which trail to attempt a thru.

Although I would love to hike the CDT realistically I am probably only going to get one shot at a thru until retirement and factoring in everything I decided on the AT.

The AT was where I first fell in love with hiking those many years ago, so it is only fitting that I return.

I am lucky that in my job, unless things get worse, we are allowed one time to take a paid 6 month sabbatical to do research and then come back and make a presentation. I am eligible to apply in 2011, and will do my research on the trail :O)

I thought maybe I was starting to plan too early but looking here on WB looks like I am in good company.

Currently reading everything I can get my hands on and starting to update my hiking equipment to my thru gear to start testing on hikes this year and next.

I look forward to meeting many of you on the trail and hopefully next 2 years at Trail Days!

Hike YOUR hike,
UKFlatfoot

kiteskimo
07-18-2009, 22:59
Woooh! I'm also planning a 2011 thru-hike. Hopefully going in march, but I'll be a senior in high school and I don't know how much I'll be allowed to miss. Who cares though.Life is short...you have to live. I don't think I'll be able to stand being inside a concrete box anymore beyond that point. Still have to get a lot of gear and earn some cash...

Speaking of which....does anyone know of a decent outfitter in or some-what near upstate New York? I've got an EMS near me, but their selection is limited.

Pilgrim '11
07-22-2009, 14:57

I really encourage you to check out Nocona's trail journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=662) and look up her posts on Whiteblaze. She did a thru hike without a planned partner and did just fine. She's a neat lady and has been a big help to me!

Reid
07-22-2009, 14:58
2011, that's my year too.

Pilgrim '11
07-22-2009, 15:05
Woooh! I'm also planning a 2011 thru-hike. Hopefully going in march, but I'll be a senior in high school and I don't know how much I'll be allowed to miss. Who cares though.Life is short...you have to live. I don't think I'll be able to stand being inside a concrete box anymore beyond that point. Still have to get a lot of gear and earn some cash...

I have been advised that a thru hike can cost between $2000 and $5000 depending on how much gear you have to buy, so earning some cash will be a serious challenge. You might consider a Rayway quilt kit instead of a sleeping bag - I don't have one yet though have a couple rave positive reviews from someone I trust. The quilt kit is a third what a bag costs (but you've got to have a sewing machine...)

I applaud your enthusiasm and won't throw cold water on it but please carefully consider that "Who cares though" when talking about missing the last 2+ months of your Senior year in HS. I'm doing the Cool Breeze flip-flop and will set out in late May '11 SOBO from the AT Train Station at Pawling. If you did something like that, you would still be doing a continuous thru hike, be on the trail at a good time of the year, and (importantly) not goob up your HS graduation.

cbost2678
07-27-2009, 19:44
I am hoping to thru in 2011. I am working two jobs now to pay off some things so that I can hike without worries. Also planning a 5 day hike the end of August to try out some new gear and start getting back out there!

slickgoku
08-06-2009, 13:23
Hey all, I might not come through on it but I am hoping very much to give the ole AT a try in 2011! Going to need a lot of things to align just right between now and the end of 2010 but if I can get the money to buy gear and to use on the trail I'm going to do it if nothing else stands in the way!

Never really backpacked in my life but my parents used to take me on camping trips (although it was full hook up in a pop up camper in a private campground, so doesn't count so much) but once I can get the money to buy some gear I'm going to start spending some nights hiking in my own neck of the woods (live in Las Vegas, have some wilderness areas within 20 miles of town).

We'll see, hopefully I won't have to wait until 2012 to take on the AT!

ukflatfoot
08-09-2009, 08:13
Welcome sickgoku and cbost2678!

There are lots of good people on here with a lot of helpful information. LOok forward to seeing you in 2011 on the AT!
UKFlatfoot

slickgoku
08-09-2009, 14:30
Look foward to it, but more than likely I'm going to need a good football season here in Vegas to make it :D Otherwise I might have to rob someone!

Pilgrim '11
08-25-2009, 15:06
I really encourage you to check out Nocona's trail journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=662) and look up her posts on Whiteblaze. She did a thru hike without a planned partner and did just fine. She's a neat lady and has been a big help to me!
BTW - I'll be starting a flip flop late May 2011 in Pawling NY, and I'm looking for partners along the way. If anyone's interested, please drop me a PM.

jookytx
09-05-2009, 05:12
I am so excited for '11. I recently decided I am going to walk away from my job and hit the trail. :sun I think I just need a new direction in my life and being on the trail will give me the opportunity to decide what I want for the next half of my life. My daughter is turning 18 soon and after that I have no one to be responsible for. She is thinking about going with me but I don't think this is really her cup of tea. If she does not go with, I am going by myself. I just know that if I do not go I will regret it and think about it for the rest of my life. It is going to be a long year and a half.

Grampsb
09-05-2009, 15:29
2011 Still Looks good for me. Will be be retiring towards the end of 2010 and am planning for a SOBO journey.

Blissful
09-05-2009, 19:59
2011 Still Looks good for me. Will be be retiring towards the end of 2010 and am planning for a SOBO journey.

Hope my hubby and I see you! We're going SOBO also, not sure if I can go all the way or just a long section. Depends on work and other factors.

Pilgrim '11
09-10-2009, 14:15
Maybe I'll see you 2011 SOBO folks along the way south of Troutville! I'll be starting about the same time you do, just in a different spot.

Hoot
10-30-2009, 13:06
im in for 2011 as well, going to be nobo and starting around april first, most likley bringing a freind for a few weeks into the hike as well...

seems theres 2 class of 2011 threads, which of these will be the official one?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42116&page=7

FritztheCat
10-30-2009, 17:33
im in for 2011 as well, going to be nobo and starting around april first, most likley bringing a freind for a few weeks into the hike as well...

I'm starting April 1st, 2011. Looking forward to it!

seems theres 2 class of 2011 threads, which of these will be the official one?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42116&page=7

My bet would be on the one Mountainsquid starts. :D

Hoot
10-30-2009, 19:45
will look forward to bumping into ya on the trail then Fritz

gopher
10-31-2009, 08:15
I am also planning a thru in 2011. I see from the post that Florida hikers will be well represented. I live in Tarpon Springs, Fl. and am a member of the FTA. The last hurdle I face is transportation to Springer. Girls do well on the trail and provide a much needed civilizing influence.

Reid
10-31-2009, 09:39
Anybody SOBO starting around May? I'm going to kennebunkport next spring to have a look around up there and do some hiking. Anybody have any intrest? What other dates are any of you SOBO's starting?

Reid
10-31-2009, 09:39
Not hiking in kennebunkport obviously.........

LiamNZ
11-20-2009, 22:46
I'm just thinking at this stage, and haven't really planned anything but if all goes well and I've saved enough by 2011 when I graduate high school a kiwi may be hitting the trail :)

a_tigger
11-24-2009, 01:49
I'm so glad to see that i'm not the only one looking forward to 2011.. i realized that i can't realistically get ready in time for the class of 2010, but am planning to thru hike in 2011.... i want to do a Sobo route, but am concerned that i'll be alone too often, i may end up going north with everyone else....

Tigger

Hoot
11-24-2009, 04:21
only 465ish more days to go!!

Monster13
11-24-2009, 09:37
Oooo Me! Me! I'm planning mine for March 12, 2011 NOBO!!! :D So excited!

473 days and counting!!!

FritztheCat
11-24-2009, 12:44
492 days! (If I can wait that long).

slugger
12-01-2009, 17:15
I'm about 90% sure I'm going to do an early May leave date for a 2011 NOBO. I just hope that's still enough time to finish! :)

Cjevne
12-02-2009, 16:47
I am definitely planning on attempting the AT. I was wondering if people thought Feb 20th would be to early or not?

Powell19
12-03-2009, 00:08
It's official. The guy I was going to hike with is leaving in 2010. I'm not ready and I don't want to go SOBO, so it's solo NOBO 2011. Probably a late Feb. or early Mar. departure. I'm a little sad about losing a hiking partner, but I think I've finally come to toerms with the fact that his is my hike, not anyone else's. Plus he mentioned that I could probably end up getting his job at the local outfitter when he leaves. DIZZZZZZZCOUNTS BOYYYYYYY!!!!

RETCW4
12-03-2009, 13:59
I am planning a NOBO 2011 hike. Right now I am hiking sections in MD/PA once a month to maintain and finalize gear.

Anyone who wants to share information feel free to contact me.

Tumbleweed

Blissful
12-03-2009, 14:39
I am definitely planning on attempting the AT. I was wondering if people thought Feb 20th would be to early or not?

Nope, good time to start. Just have some cold weather gear.

Blissful
12-03-2009, 14:40
I'm about 90% sure I'm going to do an early May leave date for a 2011 NOBO. I just hope that's still enough time to finish! :)

You're young - you should be able to do it. Just can't do lots of zeros, etc.

slugger
12-04-2009, 09:50
You're young - you should be able to do it. Just can't do lots of zeros, etc.
I agree, crunched the numbers. If I average 15 miles a day and can take 15 Zeros I will finish by Oct 15th.. With any luck I'll pass you as you go SOBO:)

hikingbear
12-07-2009, 01:13
hikingbear about when what month are u plannig on starting?

I am planning to start anytime between mid March to mid April.

elizardph
12-07-2009, 22:32
hey! I was thinking of heading out sometime around feb 20th? :bananais anyone else heading out around then? Getting pumped!

hikingbear
12-09-2009, 22:42
It's official. I am starting March 14, 2011. I am a school teacher and they just released the calender for the 2010-2011 school year. Spring Break is the 14th and that is when I will start my leave of absence for the adventure of a lifetime!!! Anyone else starting then? Can't believe it is still so far away but seems closer now that I have a date!

healthymom
12-10-2009, 00:35
Hi Hiking Bear!
We are looking at starting about the same time.
How are you planning to get to the trail? My husband will probably be driving us up. Let me know if you want to ride with us.
There's one other from our area planning an '11 thru, but I think he's planning on starting in Apr.
Dee
healthymom

FritztheCat
12-10-2009, 09:34
I'm still going with an April 1st start date. However, I don't know if I'll be able to wait that long. :D

It will really depend on the weather forecasts. If it doesn't look too terribly cold, I may start a few weeks earlier.

hikingbear
12-10-2009, 09:39
Hi Hiking Bear!
We are looking at starting about the same time.
How are you planning to get to the trail? My husband will probably be driving us up. Let me know if you want to ride with us.
There's one other from our area planning an '11 thru, but I think he's planning on starting in Apr.
Dee
healthymom

I am sure my folks are going to be seeing off. But we need to stay in touch. It will be nice leaving the same time.

RETCW4
12-17-2009, 14:14
I'm planning on an April 4th start. Supposed to do a shakedown this weekend, but snow storm is in the forecast. Have narrowed my gear list. Focusing on LIGHTWEIGHT!

gopher
12-18-2009, 10:40
Getting in shape for my thru attempt March or April. Losing weight (pack and butt) Thoreau seems to be a required read for the trail I'll check the library. Florida will rule come 2011!

Rocket
12-20-2009, 14:51
2011 must be the year of the Sunshine State!

FritztheCat
12-20-2009, 16:00
Hopefully you sunshine state(ers) will bring the sun with you in 2011! :D

Cjevne
12-21-2009, 15:00
Seems like everyone is going to be starting in March or April. Is anyone planning on a late Feb start?

ThePhoenix
12-22-2009, 00:44
Hello all

I am in the very early stages of planning a NOBO in March or April 2011.
*fingers crossed*
I have done a few week long hikes and over night/day hike as much as I can. I have read a ton of info on this site ( GREAT STUFF)
I would like to find a partner and try to get in some prep hikes between now and then if anyone is in my area ( Central US)

Also any and all advice is welcome as I will be looking for some lighter gear options.

However I am very surprised to see the expected cost ranging up to 5-7k WHAT??

Not counting gear ( I need a few more things to replace old gear that will be my back ups) I am looking at around $2000 to $2500

Do people really spend that much to walk in the woods?? Seriously??!!
( disclaimer: I am not being a smartass just truly shocked)

World-Wide
12-22-2009, 05:41
Plan was to head out 26 February 2010, but here I am in Kirkuk, Iraq for one more tour. Its all good though, but my departure date has been pushed back an entire year. 25 February 2011 is my new date. I retire from the Air Force after 20 years of service this coming May, so I don't think Iraq will be a problem in 2011! :) Just bought a house in Macon, Georgia and since I'll be retired, I should have plenty of time to do some multi-day hikes to prep for my attempt to thru-hike the A.T. in 2011. Heading NOBO and going solo. Hope to meet you folks on the trail! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year's to all!! W-W

RETCW4
12-22-2009, 22:01
World-Wide,

I retired in 2007 from the Army after my tour to Mosul. I will be starting April 4th 2011. Hope to see you there. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Stay Safe.

Thank you for your service.

Tumbleweed

World-Wide
12-23-2009, 01:08
World-Wide,

I retired in 2007 from the Army after my tour to Mosul. I will be starting April 4th 2011. Hope to see you there. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Stay Safe.

Tumbleweed

RETCW4: Thanks for serving my man! Definitely hope to catch you on the trail. :D For the time being I'll catch you on the WB threads!! W-W

RollingStone
12-23-2009, 02:07
My 16 year old is graduating HS a year early in 2010 so we plan on starting Somewhere around March 1st, 2011. Need to complete the trail in mid July to have her back in time to start college.

JoshStover
12-23-2009, 04:37
Grinch, sounds like you all will be having the "Hike of a Lifetime". I hope all goes well on your journey. Oh yea, Your 16 year is graduating? Thats great! Sounds like you have one smart cookie for a daughter...

RollingStone
12-25-2009, 01:24
Yeah it should be a good thing. She is homeschooled and I promised her that if she met her requirements in time we would attempt a thru hike. It's her graduation present. Be a good experience for her before starting college. She's been doing long distance hikes with me since she was 11 so this is something that has been on the back of her mind for quite awhile.

NorseWoman
01-02-2010, 05:29
I will head north from Springer late Feb to early Mar 2011 being a Norse Woman I can go when its colder and the advantage is advoiding some mud and it would further assure finishing in time
I have been thinking of a AT thru for a few years now. I have resolved a couple of issues already- minor knee surgery and insurance, been saving $ but need more- I will meet this goal no problem, Now need to see if I can manage OK when I come back and have no job- maybe an early retirement is what will happen
Have most gear already- always looking lighter, will go solo- but is one ever really alone on the AT, more plans to make- knowing plans are not in concrete on the AT, I will likely have some support up to Harpers Ferry
all for now Norse Woman

mooch11
01-02-2010, 10:30
I will be starting sometime in March 2011 and I am on a tight budget also. I feel your pain but it will be worth it once we are on the trail.
Mooch

mooch11
01-02-2010, 10:32
I will be starting sometime in March 2011. I feel the pain of being on a tight budget but it will be worth it once we are on the trail.

RETCW4
01-04-2010, 23:13
W-W

You'll be starting a little earlier then I, but hope our paths will cross. I am making my scedule and doing shakedown hikes.

If you need anything over there sned me a PM.

RETCW4

centsless
01-06-2010, 12:43
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know that i'm planning on leaving late Feb or Early March '11 NOBO on a thru-hike. Right now i'm solo, but am looking for a small group so that we can keep the 'mental toughness' up.

I'm in the process of getting all my gear, trying to go very lightweight. Have been on research mode/planning for the past few week.

Wish to see most of you there!

skunkybuds
01-07-2010, 13:57
Hello my name is Mike and i am currently in the Marine Corps but i am contemplating getting out in about a year and a half. That would put me back in NH in June of 2011. I was wondering if there was anyone out there planning a thru hike around that time from Maine to Georgia and if they would be willing to take me under their wing. And possible see me through as far as taking me to the store so i could purchase everything and just a good person to go with. I will say one thing about myself I don't quit and you can rely on me so if there is anyone out there that would be willing i would really appreciate it. I know it is alot to ask but i promise you i wont give up on you. And if you are willing my email is [email protected]

Thanks
Mike B

Chenango
01-07-2010, 14:02
I will head north from Springer late Feb to early Mar 2011 being a Norse Woman I can go when its colder and the advantage is advoiding some mud and it would further assure finishing in time
I have been thinking of a AT thru for a few years now. I have resolved a couple of issues already- minor knee surgery and insurance, been saving $ but need more- I will meet this goal no problem, Now need to see if I can manage OK when I come back and have no job- maybe an early retirement is what will happen
Have most gear already- always looking lighter, will go solo- but is one ever really alone on the AT, more plans to make- knowing plans are not in concrete on the AT, I will likely have some support up to Harpers Ferry
all for now Norse Woman

I had the minor surgery in Nov. The knee is getting stronger. I will be ready for 2011. See you out there.

RETCW4
01-07-2010, 14:09
Fritz -

I'll be leaving on April 4th 2011. Hope to catch you on the trail. Can't wait. I'm getting obsessed in my planning.

Tumbleweed.

Blissful
01-07-2010, 14:18
Fritz -

I'll be leaving on April 4th 2011. Hope to catch you on the trail. Can't wait. I'm getting obsessed in my planning.

Tumbleweed.

Don't get too obsessed. A lot changes once you get out there.

HockeyGirl
01-07-2010, 16:06
Guess I should throw my lot in and say I'm planning on being in the 2011 class being a solo NOBO!
Hoping to start early to mid March, thinking more 14/15th though.

Will be coming from the UK but staying with my dad in Florida for a couple days before setting out. Planning and prepping now and very excited about it.

Hope to see some of you on the trail! :banana

HeartFire
01-07-2010, 22:39
Yeah it should be a good thing. She is homeschooled and I promised her that if she met her requirements in time we would attempt a thru hike. It's her graduation present. Be a good experience for her before starting college. She's been doing long distance hikes with me since she was 11 so this is something that has been on the back of her mind for quite awhile.

Grinch,
in 2006, I met a father with daughter and son. The hike was the daughters HS graduation present, the 12y.o. son begged to go along, so they home schooled him on the trail. They all made it to the end, the 12y.o. with a broken wrist, cast and all on top of Mt.K.

Good luck and have a great time. I'm looking at a 2011 thru hike also, I had hoped to head back out this year, but that just won't work, so 2011 here I come.
HeartFire

geomaniac
01-07-2010, 23:18
I am planning on leaving from Springer in early February.

hikingbear
01-07-2010, 23:25
430 days until I leave Springer!!!!

traildust
01-08-2010, 14:07
Dovetail and I (Traildust) will be making our 3rd attempt in 2011. Economy should improve by then, lots of loose ends tied, a pup grown into a great trail dog. Ky's Long Trail in great shape.

A few section hikes to get Dovetail in the mood. One more attempt before we move on the Florida Trail and other long trails. So many trails so little time. Nobo in March of 2011. To leave earlier is a little tough for Dovetail given her lack of enthusiasm for cold weather.

No we will not do the Approach trail. Been there done that. Yes we will stay at hiker hostel - Josh and Leigh's place is the perfect place to start if you've already experience Amicalola Falls Lodge once in life.

Starting the computer countdown clock now.

JohKnip
01-08-2010, 18:20
planning on start NOBO march 15th 2011 at 8:30 am central time and time is flying by O_O so much shi....stuff to still do

37206624 seconds to go :eek:

MapleLeaf
01-09-2010, 22:10
Hey all! I plan on leaving for georgia april 1st 2011. I've been planning this for awhile and I'm super excited. Currently in gear aquisition/money saving mode...and trying to figure what kinda food to carry : p

Hope to see you all out there!

maddawgg
01-09-2010, 22:38
I too am "considering" a 2011 thru hike. I plan on doing some shakedown hikes on local trails this spring and hope to do the entire MST later in the year. If all goes well on the MST I will be at Springer on the first of April 2011. I am getting al little long in the tooth so it has to be sooner rather than later. I will need a lot of advice from the trail vets on gear and planning so I hope everyone is open to giving up their trail smarts to an old beginner.

FritztheCat
01-10-2010, 23:31
Looks like April 1st will be crowded. Excellent! See you all there!

RollingStone
01-11-2010, 09:43
Grinch,
in 2006, I met a father with daughter and son. The hike was the daughters HS graduation present, the 12y.o. son begged to go along, so they home schooled him on the trail. They all made it to the end, the 12y.o. with a broken wrist, cast and all on top of Mt.K.

Good luck and have a great time. I'm looking at a 2011 thru hike also, I had hoped to head back out this year, but that just won't work, so 2011 here I come.
HeartFire

We've met up with a lot of parent/child teams in the past along the LT and AT in Vt and NH. They always have smiles on their faces and I've always found kids have more guts and heart than most of us "adults". I've seen my daughter hike for days with blister ravaged feet and not one complaint. She just keeps walking...

Thanks for warm wishes and good luck to you as well.

World-Wide
01-11-2010, 10:11
W-W

You'll be starting a little earlier then I, but hope our paths will cross. I am making my scedule and doing shakedown hikes.

If you need anything over there sned me a PM.

RETCW4

RETCW4: Who knows, a couple extra zero's and perhaps we'll meet! I appreciate offer also!! Take care CW4, throwing a salute your way!! :D W-W

traildust
01-11-2010, 13:22
Odd thing. I'm looking forward more to my April 1st, 2011 start date then I am my October 31st, 2010 retirement date. I'm more than ready to retire, just more excited about taking a long stroll in the woods. :)

Fritz, you in the military. Only military folks retire at 41!

sidebackside
01-11-2010, 14:03
Is anyone gonna be staying in town before you set off to hike? Even a nite before? Where's a good place to stay to meet other thru-hikers before they get on the trail?

slugger
01-12-2010, 03:32
I plan on doing some shakedown hikes on local trails this spring

Well keep us informed about local shakedowns, If you want company I'm always looking for a weekend hikes.

FritztheCat
01-12-2010, 11:56
Fritz, you in the military. Only military folks retire at 41!

Yes indeed. Of course this retirement will be from my first career. Don't make enough in military retirement to live as comfortably as I do now so a second career will have to be started.

traildust
01-12-2010, 12:13
Yes indeed. Of course this retirement will be from my first career. Don't make enough in military retirement to live as comfortably as I do now so a second career will have to be started.

Well congrats. I retired at 43 and went to work in government in DC and had enough of that five years later and now we live on a farm, quiet with minimum hassle in life. Welcome to the world.

litespeedlujak
01-14-2010, 15:18
I have thought of doing the AT for years. I wanted to do it with my son in 2014. We are going to do a few shake down hikes this year. But I may go without him. He graduates in 2013. But my thoughts are if I can do it once, I can do it twice. I'd like to do it in 2011 for myself. I'd like to do it in 2014 for my son and myself. I'm hoping my finances will be where I need them. Gotta get some weight off. A bunch in fact. Like 70. UGHH. I'm fat. We plan on going to DC this year and running the Marine Marathon. This takes place on Halloween Day. If I can run it in 4 hours, I imagine I'll have to deem myself fit to make an attempt. Originally wanted to start on April 1. Plan now is to start March 12, my birthday. If no blizzard or deep snow is about, I hope to roll the dice. I know it's a bit early, but I think it would be best for me.

Turtle Feet
01-15-2010, 21:53
World-Wide,

Tumbleweed

Hey Tumbleweed, maybe I'll see you at Springer! I had hoped to get a late March start, but our 25th wedding anniversary is April 1st (and they said it wouldn't last!), so I suppose I should be there - at any rate April 4th it is!

Mountain Wildman
01-15-2010, 22:59
Might as well throw my hat in the ring.
I am planning my thru in 2011, Maybe SOBO since I live in New Hampshire.
Still haven't decided whether NOBO or SOBO.
I am in the planning and Gear aquisition stages and will be doing some overnighters this year to check out all the new gear I bought and get physically and psycologically prepared.

Turtle Feet
01-16-2010, 00:03
Anyone here going with a hammock???? I'm pretty much set on the idea, just can't decide on which one! Thinking I mayb wait, see if any come up for resale in May, June, ect.

Hey Mountain Wildman, we'll maybe see you in passing!

RollingStone
01-16-2010, 00:36
Check out the Warbonnet. Nice system.

Mountain Wildman
01-16-2010, 00:54
Hey Shey,
Maybe, I may start from Georgia so we may hike side by side. I don't really have a Trail name yet, I used Mountain Wildman because I live in the middle of the White Mountains and my friend always calls me Wildman, And Whiteblaze want's us to enter a trail name to use the site.
I am going to use a Tarptent, either the Squall 2 or the Rainshadow 2, I like room!!!
Hennesy Hammocks seem to be a popular choice.

RollingStone
01-16-2010, 01:39
<---- Is from Merrimack, NH :)

Turtle Feet
01-16-2010, 02:00
Does anyone know how to change the 'screen' name (Shey), that's not my name (trail or otherwise), as for now, trail name will be Turtle Feet (I'm setting my standards pretty low), unless deemed to be something else. Shey is just a shortened version of Sherry.

Grinch - actually, I am leaning toward the Warbonnet, but not as sure about which tarp. Too many choices! I'm moderately concerned about weight, but at the same time, I want to make sure I've got room to move around and stay dry in crappy weather.

These hammocks are made one at a time, I wonder if I could get the Warbonnet made slightly shorter (thus lighter)? I'm only 5'1" - don't need something designed for a 6 footer.

Well Wildman - sounds good! Yeah, Hennessy were the first I looked at. I like some of the features of the Warbonnet, just want to make sure I don't go too heavy after adding tarp and any extra insulation I might want for the first month or so.

I need a different pack too. I have a great Arc'trex, but it's too heavy for this trip. My youngest son has a nice ultra-light, but it doesn't fit me, so I'll be looking for a woman's ultra-light.

I'm pretty excited about this trip, it's really been on my 'bucket list' for decades. Kids are finally grown, husband can fend for himself - I'm ready. I would go this year, but my middle son is graduating from college in June. Figured if I had to leave the trail at that point, it might be really hard to get back on. 2011 it is!

traildust
01-16-2010, 17:09
Does anyone know how to change the 'screen' name (Shey), that's not my name (trail or otherwise), as for now, trail name will be Turtle Feet (I'm setting my standards pretty low), unless deemed to be something else. Shey is just a shortened version of Sherry.

Grinch - actually, I am leaning toward the Warbonnet, but not as sure about which tarp. Too many choices! I'm moderately concerned about weight, but at the same time, I want to make sure I've got room to move around and stay dry in crappy weather.

These hammocks are made one at a time, I wonder if I could get the Warbonnet made slightly shorter (thus lighter)? I'm only 5'1" - don't need something designed for a 6 footer.

Well Wildman - sounds good! Yeah, Hennessy were the first I looked at. I like some of the features of the Warbonnet, just want to make sure I don't go too heavy after adding tarp and any extra insulation I might want for the first month or so.

I need a different pack too. I have a great Arc'trex, but it's too heavy for this trip. My youngest son has a nice ultra-light, but it doesn't fit me, so I'll be looking for a woman's ultra-light.

I'm pretty excited about this trip, it's really been on my 'bucket list' for decades. Kids are finally grown, husband can fend for himself - I'm ready. I would go this year, but my middle son is graduating from college in June. Figured if I had to leave the trail at that point, it might be really hard to get back on. 2011 it is!

Shey go back to your user profile and you should be able to change your name. Go for the granite gear. My wife carries the Meridian Kia I think and she loves it. But it would mean you would maybe have to go with a different sleeping accomodation.

When I talk with young hikers getting involved in this proposition I always try to get them to focus on the list of stuff going into the pack before they buy the pack. Also consider the target weight you want to carry.

RichardD
01-16-2010, 17:44
It's looking more and more like 2011 will be my year for a through attempt. I am getting more and more serious about retiring at the end of this school year (June 2010). It's two or three years sooner than my original plan but I don't want to wait until I am too old to hike at least the AT and PCT. Financially its dooable, but a little close.
In the event I retire I will do my usual hiking this Summer but extend it into September. I am thinking about another JMT hike after the mosquitos subside.
As soon as the snows come to the mountains I will get a season pass at some ski area and ski until mid March. I hope this will keep me in good shape for my hike and not induce an injury. I anticipate a Northbound start in the second half of March.
My sister hiked from Damascus to SNP with me this past Summer but she is not certain whether she will accompany me on a through hike. She enjoyed the six weeks of hiking but she is not sure that she is up for six months of hiking.
My wife is not a hiker but we plan on her making a couple of trips out to meet me for few days. In addition I imagine she will take me to Georgia and meet me in Maine.
Not a day goes by that I don't daydream about being out on the trail, I love my job but I love the trail life more.
I sure am enjoying reading this thread and hearing of the folks that I should meet along the way.

Turtle Feet
01-16-2010, 18:09
Thanks Traildust - I found a place to email a request for a name change, hopefully that will work.

How exciting for you Richard! What kind of teaching do you do? It sounds like I might be pulling up the rear by starting in April. I'll have to have a chat with the hubby and see what his thoughts are on the matter.

I love that we can all 'meet up' on this thread so far in advance - doesn't feel so 'lonely' starting alone!

apudreamer
01-17-2010, 00:18
I just got the ok from my boss to take a leave of absence from March-September of '11!!!! Woohooo! I look forward to meeting some of you out there :sun

traildust
01-17-2010, 15:03
I just got the ok from my boss to take a leave of absence from March-September of '11!!!! Woohooo! I look forward to meeting some of you out there :sun
Good deal. Nice boss. 1 year 1 month 16 days to go.

apudreamer
01-17-2010, 20:07
Thanks Traildust!

I am indeed very lucky for the job and boss that I have. I don't think he has a clue how excited this has made me, but at least he said yes. Now I can begin planning NOBO 2011 in earnest.

omoucsrevir24
01-18-2010, 00:30
Planning on leaving March 12th 2011 for Georgia, and setting off that monday, the 14th. I'm interested in finding some people to talk to in the next year. Just to not feel so alone in all this.

RollingStone
01-18-2010, 02:14
Planning on leaving March 12th 2011 for Georgia, and setting off that monday, the 14th. I'm interested in finding some people to talk to in the next year. Just to not feel so alone in all this.

This is probably the place to be to talk to other folks! Some very interesting people here :)

dan213
01-19-2010, 03:26
SOBO for me Late May/Early June 2011 :)

RETCW4
01-19-2010, 09:03
Turtle Feet,

Should see you at Springer or close by. I've been waiting and planning for 20 years to do this. Doing dome shakedowns on the AT in MD & PA. Plannin my schdule and buying supplies to pack.

Tumbleweed

Turtle Feet
01-19-2010, 11:44
Turtle Feet,

Should see you at Springer or close by. I've been waiting and planning for 20 years to do this. Doing dome shakedowns on the AT in MD & PA. Plannin my schdule and buying supplies to pack.

Tumbleweed

Are you going with a tent or hammock Tumbleweed???

Turtle Feet
01-19-2010, 11:47
SOBO for me Late May/Early June 2011 :)

I'll be sure to wave as you go by Dan ;) ....

turtlefeet

Blissful
01-19-2010, 13:39
Are you going with a tent or hammock Tumbleweed???

Hammocking early in a hike (like for a March start) can be cold unless you are used to wintering in a hammock.

RETCW4
01-19-2010, 13:42
Right now I am going with a tent. I have been pondering a hammock/tarp but will probably stay with a tent since I already have one.

Turtle Feet
01-19-2010, 14:11
Hammocking early in a hike (like for a March start) can be cold unless you are used to wintering in a hammock.

That's a concern of mine. Since we've got about a year yet, and I live in far northern Wisconsin, I'm going to take the opportunity to give it a good long trial period - experiment with different insulations.

Doubt I would be happy in an overcrowded shelter, and the cold hard ground doesn't hold much appeal to me anymore either.

If I can't come up with a workable cold weather hammock solution, I have a nice little one man tent I can use for a few weeks. Pretty sure I won't be carrying it the whole way though.

If I can pick up a hammock in the next few weeks, I'll have a couple of chilly months up here now to work with it.

There's so much to learn with the 'hangin' culture'. Hammock, tarp, top insul., bottom insul., riggings... too many decisions. My suspicion is that like tenting, 'good is never good enough' ;) ... we're always striving for the next, newest, lightest, most improved product, system, whatever...lol.

Think I'll just have to make a decision and work with it. Love the idea though, especially in a thru-hike situation, where you're pretty much moving every night. No need to set up an elaborate camp, out of the pack, easy up, easy down, back in the pack and away you go.

Any and all suggestions welcomed!!!

RETCW4
01-25-2010, 10:06
Well, I added a Thermarest Pro Lite pad and an Anitgravity stove with Caldera Cone to my inventory. Still trying to lower my weight.

Am I alone or is anyone else getting obsessed in planning. It seems I am thinking about every step and I'm still 15 months from the start, can't wait.

Tumbleweed.

apudreamer
01-25-2010, 16:36
Well, I added a Thermarest Pro Lite pad and an Anitgravity stove with Caldera Cone to my inventory. Still trying to lower my weight.

Am I alone or is anyone else getting obsessed in planning. It seems I am thinking about every step and I'm still 15 months from the start, can't wait.

Tumbleweed.

You are not remotely alone. I find myself dreaming and planning constantly.

FritztheCat
01-25-2010, 18:07

Tumbleweed.

Sorry I couldn't respond to this sooner. I was busy obsessively planning my thru-hike. :D

Seriously though, I have found that weekend overnight trips along the AT and other trails here in VA have been most beneficial. I've been able to find out what works for me and what doesn't; how much weight I can comfortably carry; how I can more efficiently pack; and basically test out my gear. I've had to make a few changes from what I've learned on these trips and I have more planned in the future.

Looking forward to 2011!

Turtle Feet
01-25-2010, 18:23

Tumbleweed.

Got my Nano7 (hammock) today! Talk obessive, I've hung it up already. I was out of town over the weekend, and stopped at the PO on the way home to pick up my mail and there it was. I saw the envelope, but it was so lightweight that I thought maybe it was just the sales receipt or something that they shipped separately. Opened it up and sure enough, one complete hammock, it's advertised as being 6.7oz with it's two end carabiners and I would say that's about right.

It's about 20 degrees here right now, but I'm going to pull out my thermarest and sleeping bag and see how it feels. Not that my current 'insulation' set-up will be ok, but I'm just DYING to try this little thing out.

Yes, Tumbleweed, we're all chomping at the bit - it's almost time to start the countdown clock...lol.

I would say, the one item I definitely need to lighten up on it's my current backpack. I've been visiting some of the ultra-light sites and eyeing a couple of packs there. I think, beyond switching over my sleeping arrangements, the pack will be my single biggest expensive on new equipement.

Here's a question...Does anyone else have a Steri-Pen water purifier? Wondering what you think of it if you do... I haven't had alot of luck with my, but just wondering if it's 'operator error'. What does everyone use for purification (if anything)?

traildust
01-25-2010, 21:09
Got a new Granite Gear Lattitude Vapor. Used one day on an 8 miles hike. Size large. Selling for $150.00 which includes postage to mail back to you. PM me if interested.

Turtle Feet
01-25-2010, 21:45
Got a new Granite Gear Lattitude Vapor. Used one day on an 8 miles hike. Size large. Selling for $150.00 which includes postage to mail back to you. PM me if interested.

Sounds like a good deal Traildust... I'm going to need a short torso, probably 'med' belt. I'm looking at the Gossimer Gear Mariposa - we'll see...

beautifulpoetman
01-26-2010, 12:38
Cjevne:

I will begin a NOBO thruhike during the last weekend of February 2011. It means a week more of cold weather, but I want to hike a little slower. I think the earlier start has real advantages. Some of these guys start January. I have been studying up on cold weather hiking-- layers!

Anyway, feel free to contact me as we get closer to 2011!

Joe Schmidt, aka "JoFu"

traildust
01-26-2010, 12:44
Cjevne:

I will begin a NOBO thruhike during the last weekend of February 2011. It means a week more of cold weather, but I want to hike a little slower. I think the earlier start has real advantages. Some of these guys start January. I have been studying up on cold weather hiking-- layers!

Anyway, feel free to contact me as we get closer to 2011!

Joe Schmidt, aka "JoFu"

Joe,
Come on over and hike some of the Trace between now and next year. The Northern Section is a good training section.

traildust

RETCW4
01-26-2010, 13:40
Turtle Feet,

I have used Katadyn Micro Pure tablets for a few years now.I used them at Philmont Ranch with my son. I throw one in each Nalgene bottle, wait five minutes, release the air bubbles and drink. They are light and relatively inexpensive. I also have a First Need filter system.

Tumbleweed

Got my Nano7 (hammock) today! Talk obessive, I've hung it up already. I was out of town over the weekend, and stopped at the PO on the way home to pick up my mail and there it was. I saw the envelope, but it was so lightweight that I thought maybe it was just the sales receipt or something that they shipped separately. Opened it up and sure enough, one complete hammock, it's advertised as being 6.7oz with it's two end carabiners and I would say that's about right.

It's about 20 degrees here right now, but I'm going to pull out my thermarest and sleeping bag and see how it feels. Not that my current 'insulation' set-up will be ok, but I'm just DYING to try this little thing out.

Yes, Tumbleweed, we're all chomping at the bit - it's almost time to start the countdown clock...lol.

I would say, the one item I definitely need to lighten up on it's my current backpack. I've been visiting some of the ultra-light sites and eyeing a couple of packs there. I think, beyond switching over my sleeping arrangements, the pack will be my single biggest expensive on new equipement.

Here's a question...Does anyone else have a Steri-Pen water purifier? Wondering what you think of it if you do... I haven't had alot of luck with my, but just wondering if it's 'operator error'. What does everyone use for purification (if anything)?

Blissful
01-26-2010, 13:55
Turtle Feet,

I have used Katadyn Micro Pure tablets for a few years now.I used them at Philmont Ranch with my son. I throw one in each Nalgene bottle, wait five minutes, release the air bubbles and drink. They are light and relatively inexpensive. I also have a First Need filter system.

Tumbleweed

Aqua Mira works fine for the trail. :)

RollingStone
01-26-2010, 15:06

Tumbleweed.

The only thing I am probably worried about, not obsessively though is our meal planning. We're just not into the whole "buy whatever you can find in trail towns" ... I've been running some food drop / zero day scenarios on a spreadsheet trying to get a plan in my head for what I will need to buy, cook, dehydrate and store over the summer and fall.

RollingStone
01-26-2010, 15:12

I tried one on one trip, took it back to store after I got back. It kept flickering on and off.

I like to carry about a liter of water in a Camelback so so for that we have a filter that attaches to the drinking tube.

In camp we use a 4 liter water bag to tote back from source and 2 part Potable Aqua to treat. I don't like the taste of Aquamira or other substitutes and dont like having to flavor my water all the time either so the neutralizer in Potable Aqua is rather nice.

Some people think it's dumb to carry a filter. I find the 12 ounces to be negligible and it's easier to use a water bladder with. Try both on your trips their in Wisconsin and see what works best for you, then go with it and don't worry about what anyone else says :)

traildust
02-03-2010, 12:49
Start dates. Two years now, the weather has been tough for early starters. 2010 seems to be running real tough for early starters. I wonder, and maybe in the next few months I will do it, if you compared start dates to completion you might see a pattern or some sign on how success might be greater if you start later. At any rate, we started in 07 on March 3rd, after a huge thunderstorm in Georgia. Weather was cold but manageable. But then again, one misstep and its done and as we learned, a simple cough in the morning. Before the coffee is hot and we were done. Its a crap shoot really. At any rate, we are strongly considering moving it back to 1 April because we know we can get to Maine in plenty of time.

Turtle Feet
02-04-2010, 13:47
Start dates. Two years now, the weather has been tough for early starters. 2010 seems to be running real tough for early starters. I wonder, and maybe in the next few months I will do it, if you compared start dates to completion you might see a pattern or some sign on how success might be greater if you start later. At any rate, we started in 07 on March 3rd, after a huge thunderstorm in Georgia. Weather was cold but manageable. But then again, one misstep and its done and as we learned, a simple cough in the morning. Before the coffee is hot and we were done. Its a crap shoot really. At any rate, we are strongly considering moving it back to 1 April because we know we can get to Maine in plenty of time.

Traildust, I really love the idea of a graph of some sort showing start dates relative to completions (do you have time to do something like that???)! Wonder how much it really would vary from year to year? I'm guessing, unless there were some VERY significant weather event, that the numbers would hold to a fairly consistent pattern year over year.

I was originally planning a 4/2/11 start 'cause my wedding anniversary is 4/1, (#25, kindof a big deal). But looking at the map and making a few calculations, I think if I started around 3/14, I could be at Fontana Dam by the 4/1 and meet up with my husband there for a nice little break (I'd probably like one by then) and I understand it's a fairly nice little resort, so now I'm leaning toward that plan.

Mountain Wildman
02-04-2010, 14:19
2011 SOBO or NOBO.
Still un-decided.

Turtle Feet
02-04-2010, 14:41
2011 SOBO or NOBO.
Still un-decided.

...awe, come on and go NOBO with us! I hear there's hardly an NOBO'ers next year ...:D

KnittingMelissa
02-04-2010, 23:50
I'm planning on joining the NOBO Class of 2011 sometime in mid February. Maybe even Valentine's day, just for a hoot! :sun

Turtle Feet
02-05-2010, 00:27
I'm planning on joining the NOBO Class of 2011 sometime in mid February. Maybe even Valentine's day, just for a hoot! :sun

Yay! You'll be ahead of me for sure, but you never know, our paths may cross.

traildust
02-05-2010, 16:52
Traildust, I really love the idea of a graph of some sort showing start dates relative to completions (do you have time to do something like that???)! Wonder how much it really would vary from year to year? I'm guessing, unless there were some VERY significant weather event, that the numbers would hold to a fairly consistent pattern year over year.

I was originally planning a 4/2/11 start 'cause my wedding anniversary is 4/1, (#25, kindof a big deal). But looking at the map and making a few calculations, I think if I started around 3/14, I could be at Fontana Dam by the 4/1 and meet up with my husband there for a nice little break (I'd probably like one by then) and I understand it's a fairly nice little resort, so now I'm leaning toward that plan.

With the snow falling, who knows, I might take it on. Fontana is a perfect place to stop for an anniversary. Great rooms,great food, great views.

KnittingMelissa
02-06-2010, 05:48
Yay! You'll be ahead of me for sure, but you never know, our paths may cross.

Probably shall, I'm a bit of a slow goer on trails. I tend to look around and poke things, and then sleep in. :D

Turtle Feet
02-07-2010, 00:27
Probably shall, I'm a bit of a slow goer on trails. I tend to look around and poke things, and then sleep in. :D

I'm a knitter myself, but not sure about bringing any projects along, at least not in the beginning, we'll see how well I can occupy myself in the evenings. I'm usually so tired at the end of the day, after dinner I'm over and out!

I was planning on working on some new felted slippers (I wore the bottom out of the last pair), but maybe I'll put my needled to task on a new wool hat! :)

KnittingMelissa
02-07-2010, 03:25
I'm a knitter myself, but not sure about bringing any projects along, at least not in the beginning, we'll see how well I can occupy myself in the evenings. I'm usually so tired at the end of the day, after dinner I'm over and out!

I was planning on working on some new felted slippers (I wore the bottom out of the last pair), but maybe I'll put my needled to task on a new wool hat! :)

Have you tried adding a leather sole to your slippers? It helps them last longer.

Turtle Feet
02-07-2010, 21:26
Have you tried adding a leather sole to your slippers? It helps them last longer.

Well, after the bottoms started wearing I thought about it...:eek: ...oh well, I'm in the mood for a different color anyway --:cool:

Arwin
02-21-2010, 00:01
just putting my name into the 2011 pool.leaving mid march. just started planing and I'm worried i wont have enough time. a year goes by fast when planning. and I'm kinda scared to be going alone. I'll turn eighteen right before i start. but still excited.

Turtle Feet
02-21-2010, 12:58
just putting my name into the 2011 pool.leaving mid march. just started planing and I'm worried i wont have enough time. a year goes by fast when planning. and I'm kinda scared to be going alone. I'll turn eighteen right before i start. but still excited.

Welcome Arwin! Sounds like you and I will be starting about the same time. You'll undoubtedly be making more miles than me on a regular basis, but you never know, our paths may cross. :)

No need to worry about going alone - you won't really be alone. Mid-March is a pretty popular start time. If anything, shelters could be crowded, especially for the first few weeks.

Be sure to keep us posted as to your gear list and such!!! :welcome

rapchizzle
03-10-2010, 12:51
I'm beginning to plan my NOBO starting in March '11. Graduate from The Citadel in May, working as a ranger at philmont this summer, com back to Charleston for fall and winter and head out as soon as spring hits!

gopher
03-10-2010, 13:09
Originally the steripen had contacts that were too short contact hydrophoton people for a replacement. the other issue is not drying the contacts between treatments. simply blow the water off after each treatment and you are good to go. This is probably why people have trouble when treating multiple liters at once.

sidebackside
03-10-2010, 13:42
Originally the steripen had contacts that were too short contact hydrophoton people for a replacement. the other issue is not drying the contacts between treatments. simply blow the water off after each treatment and you are good to go. This is probably why people have trouble when treating multiple liters at once.

Did I miss something???

Rocket
03-13-2010, 10:27
OK...I can finally say it...365 days and counting!!

sidebackside
03-13-2010, 10:33

366 days for me!

Turtle Feet
03-13-2010, 13:37
Peyton, I posted a comment a while back about not really diggin my steripen...... 365 days for me tomorrow! My heart skips a beat just saying it.

Rocket
03-13-2010, 13:52
I've been reading TJ.com and keeping up with some of the 2010'rs. I'm so jealous...I wish I was going now. AAHHRRRGGGHH...OK now I feel better!

sidebackside
03-13-2010, 14:25
Peyton, I posted a comment a while back about not really diggin my steripen......

Apparently I did miss something...http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

singingpilgrim
03-18-2010, 07:50
I'm c/o 2011 too, NOBO! At least, if I can get the money together. :)

Sassafras Lass
03-22-2010, 16:50
My husband and I are leaving Springer next March (specific date not decided). No trail names yet, and we've accumulated some gear, and although I wish that we were on the trail now, I'm thoroughly glad I have a year to save money, shape up, and make wise gear decisions.

Kel, the "Stickman"
03-22-2010, 23:39
Right now I'm looking at Feb/March NOBO 2011... nothing firm enough to stand fast on, but not quicksand, either! Hoping...Praying...

I took a 2007 SOBO shot, made it 800 miles to Greymoor Friary. Wished I had continued, but the time was not right... Feel free to talk to me...

Stickman

RichardD
03-30-2010, 22:13
Today I turned in my retirement notice so as of June first I have no work commitments.
My plan is to start the AT mid to late March depending upon weather.
(Since I am free to do what I want, when I want, I don't need a fixed start date, - a new experience for me).
In the meantime I have permits for a JMT hike starting mid August and I can take four weeks. Plenty of time for side trips.
I plan on lots of day hikes through June and July as my wife and I travel around.
December 1st through mid March I will get a ski season pass somewhere and ski almost every day. I imagine this will have me in adequate shape to thoroughly enjoy the hike from the start.

RETCW4
04-01-2010, 15:14
START DATE IS ONE YEAR FROM TODAY!! AND THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS. For my wife, it can't come soon enough. Countless trips to REI, spending my spare time planning, and shakedown hikes are driving her mad. Great woman to let me do this.

Tumbleweed

FritztheCat
04-01-2010, 16:30
Tumbleweed,

I'm with ya! One year from today. Should go by pretty fast. I have a slew of preparation hikes this year.

Lorax 2011
04-06-2010, 09:19
Hey 2011ers

Can't wait, seems like I've been planning and saving forever! The info I have found on WB has been great, thank you all!

I would love to start early to mid March because I want to take my time and prevent early injuries. However I have a wedding early April in Georgia no less! Would a newbie in ok shape have enough time to leave April 8th and still smell the roses?

Looking forward to meeting some of you on the trail!

Turtle Feet
04-06-2010, 12:05
Hey 2011ers

Can't wait, seems like I've been planning and saving forever! The info I have found on WB has been great, thank you all!

I would love to start early to mid March because I want to take my time and prevent early injuries. However I have a wedding early April in Georgia no less! Would a newbie in ok shape have enough time to leave April 8th and still smell the roses?

Looking forward to meeting some of you on the trail!

Hi Green Arrow! :banana

Where in Chicago are you? I lived in Gurnee for about 25 years before moving to N. WI.

Do you do much backpacking in the midwest?

At age 25 I would say you should have no problems with an April 8th start!

Planeoljoe
04-06-2010, 19:54
well on the subject of gear so far ive got:
a camp towel
my hiking poles
a good idea bout trail food as i bought some to see how it tastes (stay far away from the ice cream)
my back pack and tent MAY come this week ive found some i think are ok but i know nothing about a true hiking backpack. my overnighters have always, only ever, been my school backpack. it may seem a bit mainstream but heres the pack ive been looking at :
http://tinyurl.com/yh7rats

its got an external which is what i think im going for having tried a friends external. i dont know how much it can hold but im planing for 50-60 pounds. any thoughts?

heres the tent im looking at getting:
http://tinyurl.com/yzwm79u

again im not sure about anything when it comes to tents. i've been thinking about getting a 2 man for more room but im not sure about the size and weight difference. does anyone have a two man and can share some info with me?

Maps will be bought soon too but im not sure of the best place to get them. i think im just going to get the package that www.appalachiantrail.org offers. does anyone know how good they are? ive been given this years data book as a gift for my birthday and have been pouring over that with out end. im going to get the 2011 book for sure.

sorry to have prattled on for so long ive been gone from the site for a few days and this is the accumulation of that. i look forward to seeing you all on the trail at some point and i would like to start getting in touch with people now get a hiking "group" together. ill be leaving mid march probably just after my birthday on the 9th.

feel free to contact me by email at [email protected]

Turtle Feet
04-06-2010, 23:07
Hi 'joe' ! Glad you found our little group - we're growing little by little :)

It's sort of late, and I'm just heading to bed, but I do want to make a quick comment on your pack holding "50-60 pounds". We all 'hike our own hikes', but I'll tell you that I think you'd be alot happier if you could get that weight down closer to 30ish pounds (the lower the better!).

I'll take a look at your links, and I can share some links I've come across for gear. Are you planning to hike with someone? You mention a 2-man tent....

Turtle Feet
oh, btw, I'm tentatively planning a 3/14/11 start, so hopefully I'll get to meet you on the trail!

Planeoljoe
04-06-2010, 23:55
hey there Turtle Feet

im sure that ill adjust the wait once i get a pack and start filling it. 50-60 is about what ive been used to before but this isnt anything like what ive done before. i say im looking at a 2 man tent (why do they call them two MAN tents anyway?) if id want a little more room but im planing on a one man tent untill i actually get in one. no i wont be hiking with anyone i know but im sure by the end of it ill have a few more brothers and sisters to add to the Christmas card list. one cannot go though this kind of adventure and not come away with one or two.

i look forward to hearing from, and getting to know you all over the coming months. mi sure your advice will be worth its wait.

Plainoljoe

Planeoljoe
04-07-2010, 00:02

guess if im starting on the 14 ive got about 11 and a half months left for me.
gosh kinda scary when you look at it that way. :-? :) scary in a good way

FritztheCat
04-07-2010, 10:03
Joe,

I initially bought a Eureka Spitfire UL tent. One man, very light and also very flimsy. I wasn't comfortable with a couple of the features. First, I didn't think it would hold up in a severe rain storm. I did sleep in it through a light rain that was coming straight down, and it worked well. However, I just didn't feel comfortable enough with the tent to trust it to keep me dry during a downpour coming down sideways.

Second, I couldn't bring my pack inside with me and the vestibule seemed too small. I also thought about days where I would not want to get out of my tent first thing in the morning due to weather or fatigue or whatever. I decided that the Eureka was just not big enough for me to linger in any longer than sleeping.

So, I broke down and got a MSR Hubba Hubba. I must say that I love this tent! It is about 2 lbs heavier than the Eureka but doesn't take a whole lot of extra room in the pack. I have plenty of room to bring my bag inside with me and the tent seems way more sturdy. I know it can hold up under snow conditions because I've been through them already (tent poles froze together but that was easily resolved).

In short, the bigger tent really works for me. Yes, it is heavier but the comfort level it provides me is worth it. I figure there will be so many things along the trail that will make me uncomfortable (i.e., rain, bugs, heat, rocks, etc. - all part of the trail) that having a comfortable place to crawl into is a luxury I'll gladly enjoy.

Planeoljoe
04-07-2010, 22:33
fritz

hmm food for thought to be sure. i think its going to come down to what the tents are like when im in them. :-? i foresee many test nights and trips to the return counter. i never knew how many tent companies there are out there. well here goes nothing. :)

plainoljoe

gopher
04-09-2010, 07:14
After years of trial and error I have tried hammocks, and tarps and tents. I just bought a Lightheart tent that seems to have everything a Long distance Hikers needs . Light weight, bug protection, fast setup. room for hiker and gear without crowding. She has a website with the specs. However the reality is better than the pictures.

traildust
04-09-2010, 11:52
Joe,
Good luck with the hike. Think a little lighter on the pack. One person with that much of a load is a recipe for injury, even if you are in the top shape. It is not the early days that will get you if you go slow and steady. It is the grind of day after day with all that weight. Cut it down now to save the time and postage of mailing home stuff at Mountain Crossings.
Two person tents for me since I am hiking with wife. Just sold my EMS Tristar. Have a MSR Fling which is great for two with packs inside and dog but we are selling it to go with something lighter. Every year the stuff gets lighter, bigger, stronger.

Good luck.

traildust

Turtle Feet
04-10-2010, 19:09
Hi "Plain 'Ole" - here's some info I promised you...

Sorry it seems so 'disjointed'. These are basically just a word doc that 's a collection of notes I make as I go along. I've made notes about gear that I already have or need, prices and weights (from the manufacturer). Once I finalize some decisions, I'll pare these notes down and clean them up.

My next big decision is on a pack. The one I'm currently using is too heavy (nice, but too heavy!). I've decided to go with under & over quilts but haven't decided whether I'm making them or buying them. I still need a tarp too, but unless I stumble on some really good deal, I'm pretty sure I'll be making that.

Let me know if you have any questions! (sorry it took so long to get this to you - sometimes, when you 'work from home' you put in more hours than if you punched a clock! ....lol :o)

sherry (aka Turtle Feet)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT Thru Hike 2011

3lbs 10oz tent (have) vs 3lbs 5oz nano, macCat, peapod or 2lbs 1oz with Crows Nest instead of peapod

Tarp Components:

Shock Cord: 1/8” $.15/ft (SailRite) shipped from IN, 1” nylon webbing $.35/ft, $.30 - Binding $.30/ft (acrylic biased) shipped from Sailmakers Supplies,MS

Tarp fabric: 2.25oz if 54” x 3yds not including corner patches (.25oz), binding (.50oz) & plastic hardware ?oz

Pack Weight:

Hammock: Warbonnet Blackbird SL 1.1 1lb 4oz $160 Double 2lbs $175(adjustable webbing susp) - paid $165 shipped
Nano 7 6.7oz $65 & ship

Tarp: OES MacCat Standard Spinnul 8.2oz $140.00 shipped with stuff sack
OR Warbonnet, Super Fly 1lbs 14oz $225
OR Speers Winter Tarp 17.7oz - incl. kit $107 (on Sale) + $17 for Acces. Kit

Stakes: Set of 8 - 9” aluminum (backordered at OES) .46oz $10

Sleeping Bag: Big Agnes Roxy (have) 2lb 13oz $189 , current pad 1lb 9oz (w/o stuffsack ….. GoLite short 1lb 7oz.) , WB Mamba $250, 1lb 3.6oz

Peapod: 2lbs 6oz. $359 (on sale)

Go Lite 21oz Waterbottle: 3oz. $5 (need 2)

Water Purifier: Steri-pen 3.6oz , Polar pure, aqua mira?
Headlamp: 2.9oz (Zebra light 2.22oz)

Hiking Poles: 2 Leki poles, check weight - 1lb?

Bandana (no camp towel needed)

Backpack: ? Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian Ki $199 (on sale) 3lbs 8oz, Meridan Vapor Ki 2lbs. 14oz $199 , Gossimer Gear Mariposa $170 1lb 5oz

11lbs 0oz +pack (2lbs?), clothing (3lbs?), toiletries & first aid (1lb?), food (8lbs?)

7lbs 7.5oz= pack, hammock, UQ, TQ

Planeoljoe
04-11-2010, 00:48
hey and thanks turtlefeet

lots to chew on over the comming months for sure. 11 months and 3 days now for me. ive kinda decided on march 14-15 as my start date only because it looks like many other people are doing that as well, of course, that can and probably will change as the months roll by. i keep reading about making this and making that and i suppose that would be alright if you knew what you were doing and were a proficient hiker but unfortunately im neither. even though it may be heresy to say i think im going to buy or get second hand everything i take with me. what im whiling to having second hand might be a pack or stuff sack maybe even some of the little things like a pocket knife and stuff like that but what i am not whiling to comprimise on, and i think everyone can agree with me, is the water purification system. what ever it happens to be. i like this "steri-pen" you wrote about. im giving that a good look. how i purify water is to me very important, so that will take many days of research to come to a conclusion on. i was looking at the katadyn products. i was wondering if anyone has used them.

i like some of the packs you included. do they have that granite gear nimbus in a mens pack? :) come to think of it whats the difference in a man and a woman's pack? surely not pastel colors :) ? Boots/shoes are another important thing to get. i want to get them new and break them in over the coming months. luckily that wont be too hard a good friend of mine owns a shoe and boot store so he should know the good ones. :) i hope.

well far to much to type in one post without cluttering up the forum. hows everyone's planing going? im interested in hearing from anyone who is like me and never done this before. good luck to us all and feel free to contact me if you in my area and would like to get in a few "practice hikes".

Plainoljoe

girlnextdoortn
04-11-2010, 02:53
To start a trip in 2011 what kind of shape do you need to be in. What are you doing to prepare for a the trip.

I have been thinking about doing in 2011. However, I have not been hiking in about a year from car wreck , surgeries..I am just starting to rehab from it all.

Before I had the accident I had hike all of the 40 over 6000 in TN and NC. Completed it and I didnt think it was to bad to do in less then a year.

Turtle Feet
04-11-2010, 09:59
To start a trip in 2011 what kind of shape do you need to be in. What are you doing to prepare for a the trip.

I have been thinking about doing in 2011. However, I have not been hiking in about a year from car wreck , surgeries..I am just starting to rehab from it all.

Before I had the accident I had hike all of the 40 over 6000 in TN and NC. Completed it and I didnt think it was to bad to do in less then a year.

You, know your best bet is to have a talk with your doc. Sounds like you're pretty familiar with the southern end of the trail!

Personally, I'm not planning much of an addition to my regular workout routine (P90X :sun) although now that I'm not 'punching a clock' I am planning to get more hiking and backpacking in this summer and fall - more for fun and sightseeing than training.

Living in the flatlands (by comparison), nothing we do around here really prepares for hiking at elevation. I've done some of that (most recently out in MT last summer), the hiking around the UP and N Wis is beautiful, but for the most part, not overly challenging.

Turtle Feet
04-11-2010, 10:31
Hey Plainolejoe... the Steripen has been questionable for me as far as dependability - sort of works when it's in the mood. Whether operator error or not, it's just not consisent in it's dependability. The one I have is the original model and it's a little heavy (3.6oz) - certainly heavier than a bottle of tablets (an ounce or so), so that's probably the way I'll go. Weight for me is a pretty important factor.

As far as the difference between mens/womens packs, it's generally considered to be the width of the spacing of the shoulder straps, and the lay of the hipbelt. Women having more narrow shoulders need the straps to sit closer together, as far as the hip belt, a wider belt is more comfortable for us as it tends to sit on top of the iliac crest. Other than that, as far as size, that's more about your needs depending on the length of days you're preparing for, ie. you wouldn't carry a daypack for a 10 day trip. I sort of wish women's packs came in pastels...lol...of course, they'd show the dirt more. ;)

I have an old pair of boots I'll use for the first and last 1/4's or so of the trip, and a pair of trailrunners to wear in the middle 1/2 - at least that's the plan for the moment. I'd love to get my boots resoled before hand if possible. Those boots are like that comfy bathrobe you never want to have to give up, no matter how tattered and tore it gets.

Doing research online really helps. If there's a men's boot that gets outstanding reviews, see if your friend can special order them for you (if he doesn't carry them). For the most part, good hiking boots are generally found in specialty footwear stores (or like an REI). Good idea about breaking them in!

Have a great rest of the weekend!!!!

LockJaww
04-11-2010, 21:12
Hey Joe....Great Hendrix tune...Unrelated I know..I will also be attempting my thru next year...Springer date still flexible...Mid March to early April...
I would ask you to examine/research Western Mountainering sleeping bags...
Big Agnes tents...Good offerings around or under 3 lbs
Neo-Air sleeping pads..
And Garmont T8 boots...
Myself....at this point torn between two backpacks...both different ends of the spectrum....Dueter Air Contact Lite 65 Plus 10....
And the Jansport Carson......
Leaning toward the Carson just because I backpacked a bunch back in the 80's and 90's and the Carson is ...familar....and without a doubt ...It is a pack that will " make it " if I do my part...

RETCW4
04-11-2010, 21:33
Hi Turtlefeet,

I too had a change of heart with my pack. I hava a Kelty Redclod 5600 that I used wiith my son at Philmont a few years ago. eighs 5lbs 10 oz. I just bought an Osprey 65 at 3 lbs 8 oz. My next purchase might be a lighter tent.

This coming weekend I'll do my second shakedown of the year. I live with in an hours drive of the AT in MD & PA.
I am using Katadyn Micro Pure tablets now but might try AquaMira. Our Local REI had two AT thru hikers do workshops and they both used that.

Take care,
Tumbleweed

Planeoljoe
04-12-2010, 07:59
so another question before i overload myself on all the gear options (LOL i swear i think im about ready to just go to BPS and buy anything :)) where do you, meaning everyone who reads this, turn to get your maps? will this year maps be good for next years hike? when do the new years maps come out? this thread has been amazing thus far and i think we are all in for a great hike in 2011. :)

rapchizzle
04-12-2010, 12:47
Just got my stove and cookpot last week for a short shakedown I did this weekend at Caesar's Head in SC. Previously used the old standby sterno but this Brunson stove with the little fuel bottles is snazzy!

I'm trying to decide if I need a new pack. I've got an Osprey Atmos 50 but I feel as though that may be a bit small. Looking at the Osprey Aether 70 and the Deuter 65. anyone have experience with either?

ALSO, my tent is way too heavy. It's a Eureka Timberlite XT2 and it's gotta be 7-8 lbs. I'm looking at the MSR Hubba Hubba but I'm not too fond of it having two doors and vestibules as it will be just me in there and I feel that those would be excess weight. I also have llooked at the MSR Hubba with it's single door/vestibule but I'm almost convinced that being a big guy, I'l be more comfortable in a 2 man tent...

RETCW4
04-12-2010, 12:54
Hi PlanolJoe,

I'm goign to order my maps from ATC in November. They should be good and I'll order a Handbook next January. With those two I should be good.

I'm doing a shakedown hike this weekend. Got my maps for the section at REI and Hudson Outfitters.

Tumbleweed

healthymom
04-12-2010, 12:58
And Garmont T8 boots...
Someone here recommended these boots to me. (Was it you?) When I found them online, the site had them listed at 21 oz for 1/2 pr (1 boot?) Is this right? That seems awfully heavy. Am I wrong?
I'm looking for something that will drain when I am slogging in the rain for several days. I recently did a 2 day shakedown hike and it rained the whole time. I found I didn't really mind the rain, it was the standing water in my boots that got to me.
Thoughts?
Dee
healthymom

traildust
04-12-2010, 13:14
so another question before i overload myself on all the gear options (LOL i swear i think im about ready to just go to BPS and buy anything :)) where do you, meaning everyone who reads this, turn to get your maps? will this year maps be good for next years hike? when do the new years maps come out? this thread has been amazing thus far and i think we are all in for a great hike in 2011. :)

A.T. Conservancy. No guidebooks just the maps. Then again you can just by The Trail guide and it has the elevations watermarked into the pages that detail the hike.

traildust
04-12-2010, 13:17
Recent weather trends, more warm sunny days than cold snowy days, should be taken into consideration when you plan your start date. What would happen if we had more folks start April 1st than March 1 2011? How many more would finish?

Betting the pace is picking up now on the trail with better weather. Let the race begin.

FritztheCat
04-12-2010, 16:47

Joe,

I picked up the AT Guide from Awol's webpage. I got the loose-leaf northbound edition and I really like it. I'll be taking this with me, even though it will be a year old. Awol does updates on a webpage so you can just print out the updated pages and add it to the booklet. Here's a linky: http://www.awolonthetrail.com/order.html

Turtle Feet
04-13-2010, 00:51
If anyone needs (or just wants) to do some shopping... Sierra Trading Post has a pretty good sale going, then you can use a promo code (2adventure) for an extra 20% at the checkout. I just bought a GoLite Jam pack (women's) for around $73 and that included shipping! I think I saved around $60 off retail.

Just fyi... whenever you go to buy something online, check out retailmenot.com for coupon and discount codes. I can almost always get either free shipping or some additional discount (or both) off a purchase.... and like Martha says, "that's a good thing". :)

RETCW4
04-14-2010, 08:23
Thanks for the info TurtleFeet.

Tumbleweed

moondoggie
04-30-2010, 08:38
You can google promo codes and then search the store you want for savings. I do this with every purchase. Sometimesyou save more and sometimes you don't, but worth the effort!

Grampsb
04-30-2010, 17:42
Got my Tarptent Momnet for Xmas, just got my ULA circuit and orderd my Koota Bay down sleeping pad about a week ago. Next up sleeping bag and cloths.

sidebackside
04-30-2010, 23:44
Got my Tarptent Momnet for Xmas, just got my ULA circuit and orderd my Koota Bay down sleeping pad about a week ago. Next up sleeping bag and cloths.

What kinda bag are you looking at gettin'?

Grampsb
05-01-2010, 08:22
Marmot Helium FF Swallow or WM Ultralight. Not getting it for a while.

moondoggie
05-12-2010, 07:38
Hey Grampsb! I'm going with the WM Aplinlite! Just got it...Awesome bag!!!! Very light @ 2lbs 1oz for the long

M1 Thumb
05-12-2010, 08:19

Have you received your Kooka Bay sleeping pad yet? I would be interested in knowing what you think about it? Ease of inflation and deflation, stability, overall comfort, your take on the durability of construction....

Dholmblad
05-12-2010, 09:03
I will be reattempting a nobo thru-hike after I finish my undergraduate degree and my roomate travis will be doings his first.
cant wait

Grampsb
05-12-2010, 10:50
Got the pad about a week ago. Hope to test it out this weekend. See how it inflates and defaltes. I did not get the Down insulated one. That one runs $150. The pad weighted in right at 12 oz.

I will have to take a look at the Aplinlite. Since I am going SOBO I figure I could go with a 30 -32d bag until Harpers Ferry.

AK5
05-29-2010, 17:32
I live in dunedin...about 20 min from bill jacksons. if you are interested in getting together sometime to hike...let me know.

Speakeasy TN
05-29-2010, 20:53
Let's add another to the list! I'm going to shoot for Mid March to April 1. I've wanted to try a thru-hike for years and just got "permission" from the wife to go for it. Gear is mostly assembled. Cash is good I think. I can see something close to $3k to work with so I think this is all systems go. , So it's training time.

Cumberland Trail, here I come. Maybe Benton McKaye in the fall. Hope to meet some of you folks on the trail.

Food for thought:
My biggest issue (no worries allowed!) will be sleeping in the cold, early days. I have a 40 degree bag and will be using a thermarest neo. I'm trying to decide if a silk liner and thermals will get me thru the first few weeks.

Luddite
06-08-2010, 11:00
Food for thought:
My biggest issue (no worries allowed!) will be sleeping in the cold, early days. I have a 40 degree bag and will be using a thermarest neo. I'm trying to decide if a silk liner and thermals will get me thru the first few weeks.

It gets pretty cold that time of year. I had a 20 degree bag in northern GA around march 28 and I was still cold.

bluffhead
06-09-2010, 02:46
craigs list rarely:in my area>> has good cheap gear check that often

on_the_GOEZ
06-09-2010, 16:07
Leaving the first week of may (depending on when school is done) NOBO with the approach trail. I cant wait to see everyone out there.

PS im starting to obsess 8 ))

stunt man
08-02-2010, 01:57
i should be out there right now :( i was all set to go on a 2010 thru but i chose to hold off until i was done with school... but its absolutely killing me and since i will be in school for the next 8 years i know i need to do it asap or its gonna end up driving me crazy... i lose my mind every time i open my closet and see my pack sitting there all ready to go. so im planning on doing 1 semester of school then starting my thru in mid-march of 2011... plus i wanna get it done before the world ends in 2012 haha jk.

Carbo
08-02-2010, 11:45
i should be out there right now :( i was all set to go on a 2010 thru but i chose to hold off until i was done with school... but its absolutely killing me and since i will be in school for the next 8 years i know i need to do it asap or its gonna end up driving me crazy... i lose my mind every time i open my closet and see my pack sitting there all ready to go. so im planning on doing 1 semester of school then starting my thru in mid-march of 2011... plus i wanna get it done before the world ends in 2012 haha jk.

Sounds like a plan. If you don't do it now, when you don't have the committments/responsibilities that are sure to come along, you will likely have to wait until you retire.

And this 2012 thing is probably like the Y2K jitters. All I know is I'm not taking any chances and maxing out my credit cards, spending all my savings, partying till I drop, plus squeezing in a 2011 thru! [kidding!!...except for the thru].

Good luck and hope to see you out there!

DinnerFer2
08-08-2010, 16:13
Dinner fer 2 here,

2008 SOBO Long Trail thru hiker

Leaving from Spring Mt. on March 19th 2011, FULL MOON!!!!
See you there:banana

Turtle Feet
08-10-2010, 06:28
For those of us that are still making gear changes, and especially if you haven't purchased things yet - I can highly recommend these videos by Raul Perez. They contain some excellent weight saving recommendations!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJjFwl7i_rA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MxaRIeT8RY

Ogre
08-10-2010, 14:57
Leaving from Spring Mt. on March 19th 2011, FULL MOON!!!!
See you there:banana
That's my birthday. I'm expecting to be on the trail before that, but only by days, and my date's not set in stone. Who knows, I might wind up deciding I want to start on my birthday.

Turtle Feet
09-06-2010, 08:01
In case anyone missed this - CLeamon posted this on another thread...

I am forming a Facebook group for all Nobo 2011 planners! Sort of a parallel to this forum I suppose. You're all welcome! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...3902293&ref=mf (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=127798373902293&ref=mf)

redwing
09-22-2010, 17:47
Wow, how many of us are starting April 1st? Seems like a bunch.

mattmc89
11-18-2010, 13:34
Leaving around May 8th, Sobo. Went GA-Damascus last year, finishing it off this summer.

slugger
11-18-2010, 15:07
Leaving around May 8th, Sobo. Went GA-Damascus last year, finishing it off this summer.

It looks like none of the camp sites really open up until May 15th. Also Big K doesn't open until May 31st.

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/hikingThruFAQ.html

Jchap
11-18-2010, 16:03
Hello,

I am planning, saving, and trainning for a NOBO hike starting March 15th 2011. Just figured i would see who else is planning to hike around this time...and if anyone wants to talk about different ideas for saving and buying gear.

Hey bukeye, i also intened to start on March 15th!