PDA

View Full Version : Pack + tent = ?

SonrisaJo
12-18-2008, 01:34
All right, so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

I am going to invest in a new pack for my upcoming hike (learning towards Granite Gear Vapor Ki - http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/vaporki.html). My previous pack had straps at the bottom to hold my tent, and this one is laid out differently.

So, um, where do I put my tent? Do I snap it in the middle there? Or do they seriously expect my tent to fit inside? I'm not that optimistic. Or do I lash it onto the bottom somehow?

Enlighten me.

garlic08
12-18-2008, 01:42
My wife has one of these. She puts the tent inside and straps the sleeping pad on the back.

Yahtzee
12-18-2008, 01:42
3600 cubic inches is more than enough space to fit a tent on the inside of the pack. if you have a particularly bulky tent a compression sack would help to save space.

nice pack. no worries.

Franco
12-18-2008, 04:28
SonrisaJo
If you use the compression straps at the front of the pack to hold your tent you would not be the first to do so...
( the front is the part visible to the guy behind you...) but by doing so you lose the access to your side pockets.
Franco

Sailor (The other one)
12-18-2008, 05:47
My Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian (see picture) has the same basic back layout as the Vapor Ki. There are two compression straps with side release buckles that, with the two vertical strips with the diamond shapes, forms a sort of cradle. You can roll your tent up and put it vertically in this cradle, giving you access to the side pockets and the top opening of the pack.
In the picture below I have strapped on a Tarptent Double Rainbow in its stuff sack that holds the tent, poles, lines and pegs.

Kerosene
12-18-2008, 06:18
I have the GG Nimbus Ozone, which also has a similar layout. While I can fit it into the main sack, I typically choose to position it vertically between the back diamonds. I point the opening of my tent stuffsack downward, and tie the drawcord around the lower compression strap as an insurance policy to avoid the slippery silnyl stuffsack from falling out unexpectedly. Works just fine.

Tinker
12-18-2008, 13:27
A lot of folks prefer to stuff their tent body and fly inside their packs and leave the poles on the outside. A tent can make a tidy package without the poles. Just make sure you secure the pole bag (assuming you use it) to something solid (like a compression strap) on the pack. I tie the draw cord to one when I use my tent.
The only problem here is packing a wet tent. You will probably have to make provisions for strapping it to the outside of your pack once in a while unless you bring a separate plastic bag (or very waterproof nylon bag) along for those wet mornings.

SonrisaJo
12-18-2008, 16:34
You guys are awesome. Thanks for the replies!

solo29
12-18-2008, 16:44
so do you guys take the tent out of its bag and stuff it in the bottom of your pack?

Egads
12-18-2008, 18:20
I use a rucksack style pack and put my bag / quilt in the bottom, the pad goes in next wrapped inside the pack walls making a hollow cylinder, which I fill with clothes, food, & shelter

Panzer1
12-18-2008, 19:41
I leave the tent in its stuffsack and place it at the very bottom of the pack. Then I strap the tent poles on the outside of the pack in one of the side pockets.

Panzer

Yahtzee
12-18-2008, 21:27
I'm a stuffer. No sack. Tent is the first thing in. Just cram it on down in there. When I had a two-piece tent it went fly first, then actual tent, then sleeping bag.

KG4FAM
12-18-2008, 21:43
tent is one of the last things in. this way you pack your gear in the tent and then hop out and throw it on top

Marta
12-18-2008, 21:48
tent is one of the last things in. this way you pack your gear in the tent and then hop out and throw it on top

Ditto. Stop hiking, pull out tent, set up tent, unpack the rest of the stuff.

Franco
12-19-2008, 04:33
Let me see..
It's raining at camp. So I pull everything out of my pack and then I find my tent...

I am about to start the day and again it's raining. Better pull down the tent first, stuff it inside the pack so that I can wash down the grime off my sleeping bag and give my clothing a bit of a rinse...
Franco

Tinker
12-19-2008, 14:42
I leave the tent in its stuffsack and place it at the very bottom of the pack. Then I strap the tent poles on the outside of the pack in one of the side pockets.

Panzer
Ditto- except I place it on top of my sleep gear-
- unless it's wet, then I strap it to the back of the pack in its stuffsack with the poles, upside down to keep any additional water out (usually not a problem since it'll be under a pack cover or poncho, but it doesn't hurt to be careful). I tie the draw cord to a strap on the pack in case it starts to slip. Better than losing the whole rig.