PDA

View Full Version : Mike's Hike Update

mhanson
12-18-2008, 07:38
Dear Fellow White Blaze Subscribers:

Many of you already know me, for those that do not, my name is Mike Hanson. I have been completely blind since birth and will start a northbound through-hike of the AT in March. I will be using only a white cane (or trekking poles) and GPS to navigate my way.

My original start date was March 2008 but was postponed a year due to a lack of funding. My story has previously sparked lively debate on this site and I am looking forward to fellow White Blazers additional input and suggestions. I was planning to update my story here later this month but when I heard about the Saturday Night Live skit which ridiculed N.Y. Governor Patterson's blindness I was moved to contact you as soon as possible.

In spite of my blindness I have a law degree and passed the bar exam on my first attempt (I also have a bachelors degree in psychology and a masters in speech-language pathology). As governor Patterson mentioned, only 29% of those with visual impairments are employed. Even with my extensive education all I have been able to find is a piecework telemarketing job out of my home. I am glad to have it because it is work but it represents just one of the many tremendous obstacles I've had to deal with and have had to work to overcome as a blind man in this culture.

A significant part of the problem is perceptions such as presented by SNL which show individuals with visual impairments as bumbling, confused incompetents, we not only have nothing to offer society but need to be taken care of even around managing simple tasks. These perceptions and myths are tremendous "obstacles" that the visually impaired person experiences as profoundly discouraging and often overwhelming. Despair and a sense of hopelessness is not an unusual response to this ocean of misunderstanding. I have had my share of these dark times.

But I have not stopped facing these difficult times and challenging the perceptions that create them. I have been using GPS technology to greatly expand my independence, using it to get around the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul) for the last two years (no guide or guide dog), plus get me around my hunting, hiking, backpacking, canoeing, fishing and other outdoor activities. Yes, I said hunting. I'm one of the first blind men in
Minnesota to have obtained a firearms safety certificate and last year I bagged a 13 point elk.

As I mentioned earlier my next step in challenging these oppressive stereotypes is planning for and hiking the 2,174 mile Appalachian Trail in March using only GPS technology to guide me. GPS is a long way from being understood and accepted by the blind community and this hike will not only dramatically challenge the types of cultural myths we are talking about but will further show the efficacy of GPS to greatly improve the independence of those with visual impairments. We have engaged a documentary filmmaker to document and publicize the hike and are currently in the fundraising phase.

I am contacting you as part of my commitment to disproving the destructive perceptions and misunderstandings that keep so many visually impaired individuals living fractured existences without the independence and opportunities which are their right based on their own abilities and desires.

For more information or to make a donation, please visit www.blindhiker.com. We have created a 5 minute descriptive video about the hike and documentary which does an excellent job of showing what we are preparing for and the cultural concerns we are trying to address. The video is on You Tube and entitled "Mike's Hike: A Blind Hiker's Appalachian Trail Journey." A link is also available at our website.

If my story strikes you as worth sharing, or if you'd like to talk with me further, please contact me at "[email protected]" or 952-381-0025. My partner Nicolle Swanson and our videographer Gary L. Steffens would also be willing to be part of any involvement you may wish.

The only obstacle in my path is funding. Help me disprove prevailing myths about persons with disabilities and open doors for people with visual impairments. Tell me to “Take a hike!”

Sincerely,

Michael Hanson, Esq.

Lone Wolf
12-18-2008, 07:42
not cool asking folks to finance your hike

TOW
12-18-2008, 07:50
Excellent video presentation Mike. I have no doubt that you will hike the entire AT. And I also have no doubt that all of your funding needs will be met as well. I bet you will get some of that support from members here.

TOW
12-18-2008, 07:52
not cool asking folks to finance your hike
I will agree with you to a point, but concerning this guy I think not.

Lone Wolf
12-18-2008, 07:53
I will agree with you to a point, but concerning this guy I think not.

oh, i see. the guy is a lawyer. a broke one i guess. why don't you ask for money to pay your bills?

MOWGLI
12-18-2008, 08:41
Mike, glad to see you're still at it. Ignore the nattering nabobs of negativism.

I'll be in touch.

nitewalker
12-18-2008, 08:59
mike, that was a pretty cool video you put together. i have a question about hunting. how do you hunt if you cant see the target? i can see you hiking the AT and completeing it but the hunting is another story. its kinda like driving a vehicle. are you 100% blind or do u see vague images.. can you find an organization that is associated with disabilities and have them fund your hike. there has to be an organization out there that would be glad to fund your hike. well anyhow i wish you the best on your venture. peace , nitewalker

Lone Wolf
12-18-2008, 10:25
Ignore the nattering nabobs of negativism.

thousands of people dream of hiking the AT. the ones that actually attempt it work and save money to do so and this guy should do that too regardless of his abilities or disabilities. nothing negative, just the facts

Blue Jay
12-18-2008, 10:36
thousands of people dream of hiking the AT. the ones that actually attempt it work and save money to do so and this guy should do that too regardless of his abilities or disabilities. nothing negative, just the facts

Although harsh, I agree 100%. I do admire the fact that he is not going to fall on a dog hundreds of times a day. I truly hope he makes it.

mtnkngxt
12-18-2008, 14:50
I'm with LW on this one. I was born with severe lung deformities and have a life expectancy of under 45 years of age. I didn't ask anyone to fund my section last summer, nor would I even consider asking someone to. You should Hike Your Own Hike, only if you can Pay For Your Own Hike. My .02 I hope you make it.

KG4FAM
12-18-2008, 16:41
What does Zero-Zero have to say about all this?

TOW
12-18-2008, 19:57
oh, i see. the guy is a lawyer. a broke one i guess. why don't you ask for money to pay your bills?
well i still support him, but i think i understand what you are saying and it does make a point........

hootyhoo
12-18-2008, 20:15
We all have our cross to bear.
Work, save, then hike the trail.

ChinMusic
12-18-2008, 20:20
I thought the SNL skit was GREAT.

Tuombe247
12-18-2008, 20:23
Good luck Mike!!! I'm subscribed to your thread and I'll be looking forward to watching you step by step complete the hike!

Feral Bill
12-18-2008, 20:25
I'd like to know how Mike plans to use the GPS. I can not believe the trail has been charted to GPS to give directions. How will mike find the water supply, privy etc? How will Mike not step on a snake? If Mike is using a sighted person as an aide, will they both stay healthy? Is the film crew also support? The logistics seem daunting. For a solo hike, impossible.

Mrs Baggins
12-18-2008, 20:37
God Bless You and don't listen to the bitter old men who think it's their way or no way. You do whatever you have to do and enjoy your hike!

cooter
12-18-2008, 20:45
LW, I don't think he's doing this hike solely to enjoy the experience, such as my reason for hiking. I think he's trying to bring awareness of the abilities of those who are stricken blind. If he was like me, and just hiking for the hell of it, I wouldn't donate, but since he's doing it for a cause greater than himself, I'm going to see what I can do to help out. Good Luck Mike. I hope to run into you on the trail. I'll be leaving Feb 20. I don't have a trail name yet, but I'm the other Mike.

Tin Man
12-18-2008, 20:46
Mike, thanks for the update. Tough call on the fund raising. My general fund raising test is: who benefits? I don't think the WB members benefit from your hike, so this might not be the best place to ask. As was suggested earlier, if you convince the vision impaired organizations that your hike benefits them by calling out the unfair treatment disabled people receive, then that would be the way to go. Or have you already reached out to them?

Tin Man
12-18-2008, 20:49
God Bless You and don't listen to the bitter old men who think it's their way or no way. You do whatever you have to do and enjoy your hike!

bitter old men? lay off the crack in Mike's thread. a good point was raised here so don't be performing any character assassinations. thank you.

twisted
12-18-2008, 20:55
hell i my as well be blind cause green is my trail life

Tin Man
12-18-2008, 20:57
hell i my as well be blind cause green is my trail life

easy there fella, we are talking about a disabled person here. let's not pollute this thread with that kind of talk. thanks.

ScottP
12-18-2008, 21:19
Perhaps another gimmick would help you raise funds. Have you thought of offering your legal services pro bono to some trail/environmental cause?

Lone Wolf
12-18-2008, 23:03

i'm younger than you, old lady :) so i guess you weren't referring to me.

Lone Wolf
12-18-2008, 23:32
LW, I don't think he's doing this hike solely to enjoy the experience, such as my reason for hiking. I think he's trying to bring awareness of the abilities of those who are stricken blind. If he was like me, and just hiking for the hell of it, I wouldn't donate, but since he's doing it for a cause greater than himself, I'm going to see what I can do to help out. Good Luck Mike. I hope to run into you on the trail. I'll be leaving Feb 20. I don't have a trail name yet, but I'm the other Mike.

no where does it say donations are going to charity, etc. it looks like all $$ collected will benefit him only

Tin Man
12-18-2008, 23:47
no where does it say donations are going to charity, etc. it looks like all $$ collected will benefit him only

it sounded like his hike was being videotaped for showing others what vision impaired could do, so that could make it more than just about him

Lyle
12-19-2008, 09:38
Mike,

Back in the early 80's I was privileged to be introduced to and assist a 66 year old retired gentleman who was hoping to do a thru-hike. He was legally blind, could not see well enough to read and at best saw light and dark shadows. As part of his prep, and as a way to help him convince his wife that this hike was even feasible, I accompanied him on some winter overnight hikes at our local scout camp. This included snow, ice, steep terrain, and poorly developed trails. It also included several nights of winter camping experience for him. He did great. We took photos for his wife, so that she could see him accomplishing all that would be necessary.

To make a long story short. Lee set out solo from Springer and hiked all the way to Harpers Ferry before he contracted Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and had to discontinue his hike. He intended to return the following year to complete it, but in the long run decided not to put his wife through the additional worry and loneliness. She agreed that he could go, but he decided that he had proved to himself that he could do it, and it would be selfish of him, knowing how she would worry.

My point is, don't let the doubters influence your decision. Yeah, you face some added difficulties and dangers, but you are the best judge as to whether or not you are up to it.

Best of luck and have a blast!!!

MOWGLI
12-19-2008, 09:41
Perhaps another gimmick would help you raise funds. Have you thought of offering your legal services pro bono to some trail/environmental cause?

Excellent idea Scott.

TOW
12-19-2008, 09:49
oh horsecrap!

jersey joe
12-19-2008, 09:53
Mike, good luck in your attempt. I can not even imagine attempting a thru hike without sight. I would certainly follow your hike and cheer you on.

That being said, lone wolf has a point...
It seems a bit like you are contradicting yourself. On one hand you state that you want to prove that you can accomplish anything despite being blind. On the other hand you are not coming up with the money for your thru hike yourself. I think the impact of your story is greater if you can overcome the financial aspect of the thru hike somehow on your own.

Gray Blazer
12-19-2008, 11:27
Even with my extensive education all I have been able to find is a piecework telemarketing job out of my home. I am glad to have it because it is work but it represents just one of the many tremendous obstacles I've had to deal with and have had to work to overcome as a blind man in this culture.

challenging these oppressive stereotypes

Just made me wonder if there are "better" cultures out there which would make a handicapped person's life easier?

Good luck with your hike.

clodhopper
12-19-2008, 15:05
Best wishes on your hike.

MOWGLI
12-19-2008, 15:37
I have a daughter who is blind. My wife also teaches the blind. The unemployment rate is about 75-80% here for the blind. My daughter hasn't worked since she was hit by lightening over 2 years ago. She is in training, and could be working again in another 6 months, but transportation is a big issue. Public transit is not very good here.

Mike, I would be willing to bet that the local Lions Clubs in some of the major towns along the trail would be willing to help you - in exchange for going to their club and giving a talk when you get in the area. We were able to get significant funding from the local Lions Clubs to take blind & visually impaired students out on the Cumberland Trail here in Tennessee.

I hope that idea is helpful.

Jack Tarlin
12-19-2008, 17:25
I wish Mike well with his hike, but I couldn't help but notice that his website states that he's looking for at least $127,000 to fund his journey.

*This includes $12,000 for his own expenses; $15,000 for the videographer;
and $100,000 for editing and post-production expenses.

*The fee for the cameraman seems reasonable, especially if the guy is out
there for six months.

*The $12,000 for personal expenses seems high: For a 185 day hike, this
comes to around $65.00 per day, or better than $450.00 per week.
Considering that more than half one's time on a thru-hike is spent in places
where it's physically impossible to spend any money at all, $450 per week
seems extravagant.

*Also, the 100,000 dollar video buget seems excessive. I can think of any
number of fine films dealing with the A.T. that were brought in for a great
deal less.

I also noted on his website that he said "I believe in the independence of persons with disabilities."

I couldn't agree more. It is a noble sentiment.

However, in requesting public funds to pay for one's hike; for one's personal film-maker; and to fund a film; well this does indeed raise questions about
"independence."

Wolf's comments may have been bluntly made, but he may well have a point.

ChinMusic
12-19-2008, 17:38
Mike, I would be willing to bet that the local Lions Clubs in some of the major towns along the trail would be willing to help you - in exchange for going to their club and giving a talk when you get in the area. We were able to get significant funding from the local Lions Clubs to take blind & visually impaired students out on the Cumberland Trail here in Tennessee.

As a Lion, I agree. Making contacts with Lions Clubs along the way is an excellent idea.

Tin Man
12-19-2008, 17:40
$127,000? I think Mike would be better off finding a sponsor rather than trying to raise funds himself.

Whatever you do Mike, I wish you a great hike. I am sure many folks will lend a hand along the way. Best wishes.

mhanson
12-21-2008, 16:27
Thank you for your post. I agree with you. The best thing I can do about doubters is separate those who have reasonable doubts from those who do not. I factor in reasonable concerns and generally disregard the rest.

mhanson
12-21-2008, 16:29
Good idea. I'm working on doing just that.
Excellent idea Scott.

mhanson
12-21-2008, 16:32
Thanks. Good idea.
As a Lion, I agree. Making contacts with Lions Clubs along the way is an excellent idea.

fiddlehead
12-21-2008, 16:38
Sounds like a very tough hike coming up for you Mike.
Good luck and hopefully you can stay injury free.

Usually it is more head than heel. Your hike should be an exception to that rule.

As far as raising money? Whatever it takes to get you there is my opinion.

If you need any warm clothes, you get a discount at my website.

Tinker
12-21-2008, 16:46
I think I'll hold off on any donations until he's on the trail. Good luck, Mike, I hope you have enough cash to start your hike. Once you set foot on the trail and show yourself to be serious about it, I'm sure that your hike will draw much media attention. I have absolutely no doubt that then you'll get all the funding that you need.

BigBlue
12-21-2008, 17:28
If you think that you can do it then don't let anybody tell you otherwise.
That bieng said Tin Man and Lone Wolf made valid points; there has to be an organization that would sponsor an endevour like this so that you wouldn't need the hand out, and are you really proving that you can do the same hike as others when others pay their own way?
PS. A couple I know completed thier thru-hike on a $6,000 budget this year.

4eyedbuzzard
12-21-2008, 17:38
From your Bio

I... have a varied educational and work background, including a BA in psychology, an MA in speech-language pathology, and a J.D. I passed the Minnesota State Bar Exam on my first attempt and am licensed to practice law in Minnesota.
I have worked in human resources for a fortune five hundred company, co-owned a brewing supply business, and practiced law. That said, I face the problem common to seventy percent of those with my disability (unemployment and underemployment). I have always wanted to do something to demonstrate the independence of persons with disabilities. ...I am an avid outdoorsman. I have hunted, fished, canoed, cross-country skied, hiked and backpacked for over thirty years. I experienced the thrill of bagging a nine hundred-pound 7-by-6 bull elk in December, 2008. I was elected president of a Twin Cities based organization that works to make outdoor activities, particularly hunting and fishing accessible to persons with disabilities called Capable Partners, Inc...

Honestly, it sounds as though at age 43 or so you have lived, and are living, a very fulfilling, successful life despite your disability. Your resume and life experience is likely far more successful and full than that of most sighted persons. I must say that I find it somewhat suspect though that someone who has been an HR employee for a fortune 500 Co., owned a business, and practiced law should find it necessary to solicit funds for their recreational pursuits, regardless of their disability.

I am currently working on combining my love of the outdoors and my desire to demonstrate the independence of persons with disabilities by planning a hike of the 2,174-mile Appalachian Trail using GPS.

How does soliciting funding not so much for the documentary effort (as WB is regularly solcited for such donations) but also for your own personal expenses demonstrate independence , i.e. from the reliance on the financial beneficence of others?

According to the MN bar association's website (http://www.mnbar.org/search.asp), you were admitted to the MN bar association in Oct 2005. Sorry, but my gut reaction is that if the same energy and effort being used to solicit funding for this thru-hike was being applied to succeeding as an attorney, either in the private or public sector, it would stand as a far greater inspiration to others who are blind vs. taking a six month hiking vacation on other peoples money.

I wish you luck on your hike, and think it's a wonderful personal undertaking and adventure.

Tin Man
01-19-2009, 14:10
Whoops... maybe next year...

http://blindhiker.wordpress.com/

B Thrash
01-20-2009, 20:02
I almost did not survive some of the places that I have been along the AT with two good eyes, if he is if he survive's he will more help than a GPS.

ChinMusic
01-20-2009, 20:23
Is anyone surprised?

He needs to do a section just to see what he's getting into. Heck with the fund raising. First things first.

slugger
01-21-2009, 10:25
I just question how good the GPS will work with the tree cover and what he plans to do when it dies/cant connect. I know if have hiked with a GPS and kept loosing signal, granted it wasn't the nicest GPS.

Worldwide
01-21-2009, 11:34
How is it when people want to bring awareness to something it involves hiking in the middle of nowhere. Seriously start a website do something inventive. The blind guy on the trail thing has been done and was well documented. This is where most disabled people don't want to be treated any differently than abled people. No offense, but if you want funding sell pencils. Begging is weak

Lone Wolf
01-21-2009, 11:36
How is it when people want to bring awareness to something it involves hiking in the middle of nowhere. Seriously start a website do something inventive. The blind guy on the trail thing has been done and was well documented. This is where most disabled people don't want to be treated any differently than abled people. No offense, but if you want funding sell pencils. Begging is weak

you sound like me :cool::)

JAK
01-21-2009, 13:16
Alot of amateur athletes put together videos to get funding. I don't think that's cool either. Hard to get to the olympics without it, but it still ain't right in my opinion. Worst of all is people that make money by getting kids to beg for them, selling cookies and chocolate bars are crazy prices. It just ain't cool. Beggars have more integrity. At least their honest about it, not pretending to be something their not, some of them anyway.

cathy
01-21-2009, 13:19
In 2000 I met Silverfox and he and I have hiked 2000 miles of the AT together.My hiking parnter in now blind because of an accident. We went out last spring to hike with me being his eyes. He was constantly flustrated by falling over roots and rocks. He lost the trail and would wander around until I called him back. In camp he couldn't find the water unles it was right by the shelter. Road crossings on a blind curve was exciting. Staying in a hostle he had trouble getting around. In short I guess I am saying a GPS can't help with everything. I know several blind people have done it before, but I would honestly think twice about doing it alone. You should realy have a partner even then it will be difficult.

JAK
01-21-2009, 13:25
Point is though, many people do it for all sorts of reasons, and its generally acceptable, and often encouraged and applauded to be a good fundraiser regardless of the cause, depending on who you are and how you go about it. It all amounts to the same thing though, at the end of the day. Some hide it better than others, but a good hustler is a respected businessman, whereas many well intended charity workers are treated as beggars, even when raising funds for someone other than themselves. Society isn't a very fair judge, or jury.

Kanati
01-21-2009, 17:44
Have to think about this one. My first inclination was to immediately respond by donating. Then LW put me to thinking. Sounded abrasive but it is a good point. Not that I fully agree with him. But I don't disagree either.

Have to give it some thought. Will take it to the pillow with me tonight.

KG4FAM
01-21-2009, 19:00
He is wanting 120K to make a movie about something that he does not know if he can even do. Clerks had a budget of 27K and the pilot of Its Always Sunny in Philidelphia had a budget of $85. I don't see why he needs all this money to shoot some film.

Worldwide
01-21-2009, 19:20
Hiking the AT no longer needs a video made about it or a book written about it. I mean seriously the books and videos are getting redundant.

deleted

At this point I am trying to think of an inflammatory comment to get this thread locked so it gets put on the backburner.

slow
01-21-2009, 21:24
What gives you the right ...to say so.?

Tin Man
01-21-2009, 21:42
Most folks looking to raise charity funds with an AT hike are simply self-serving. I, for one, do not care to fund someone else's vacation.

That said, raising awareness for a good cause did give me pause and I have been giving this some thought. Simply stated, I think raising awareness for one's disabilities is absurd when the task is impossible to do alone. I'm sorry, but Mike is going to need a lot of assistance, financial and on-trail help most of the way, and to me that does not demonstrate over-coming a disability. If it did, I am sure there are any number of vision-impaired organizations that would pony up. YMMV. Donate at will. I have decided against it.

Nothing against Mike. I wish him the best in whatever path he follows.

IceAge
01-22-2009, 10:00
Is the GPS technology capable of guiding someone along a footpath?

Admittedly, my GPS is a few years old, but it does have WAAS capability. At best it can supposedly get me 9 feet from where I am supposed to be, which theoretically gives me an 18-foot wide margin of error. In practice I find I'm lucky to be within 60 feet.

Lone Wolf
01-22-2009, 10:03
this unassisted "hike" ain't gonna happen. no way, no how

Tin Man
01-22-2009, 10:09
Mike never said he was going unassisted. So, I am a little unclear on what his point is, other than being another AT dreamer thinking their vacation makes a good fund-raiser.

Lone Wolf
01-22-2009, 10:10
Mike never said he was going unassisted.

uh, yes he did

4eyedbuzzard
01-22-2009, 10:10
this unassisted "hike" ain't gonna happen. no way, no how

That's a pithy [pun intended].

Tin Man
01-22-2009, 10:15
uh, yes he did

Last year he contributed this... '"unsupported" was an unfortunate but well-intended choice of words'

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31855&highlight=mike+hanson

slugger
01-22-2009, 11:31
Even in his e-mail he says he will have support such as hitching rides in to town and what not. Well, what about his camera man that will be with him the whole way. I'm sure he wont need the GPS to stay on the trail much as long as his camera man can see the blazes.

Don't get me wrong I think it's great what he is trying to do, I just think he might be going on with it the wrong way...

ChinMusic
01-22-2009, 11:58
I think the bigger story would be "Cameraman walks trail backwards".

Tin Man
01-22-2009, 12:59
Even in his e-mail he says he will have support such as hitching rides in to town and what not. Well, what about his camera man that will be with him the whole way. I'm sure he wont need the GPS to stay on the trail much as long as his camera man can see the blazes.

Don't get me wrong I think it's great what he is trying to do, I just think he might be going on with it the wrong way...

Yep. If he wants to hike the AT, great, but he does not to modify his approach - obviously, since he has to keep postponing due to funding issues.