PDA

View Full Version : early august in the smokies

brack
04-12-2004, 01:32
hello friends...

just a few questions. im planning a trip for sometime around the second week in august. maybe picking up around the rock gap area where i left off during spring break and just keep on keeping on. hopefully will make it through the smokies. but my question is... whats the trail like during this time? i know all the nobos will be gone, or at least they should be right? haha, but i didnt know if the smokies would be covered up around this time of year and if the weather would be doing anything crazy south of the smokies/in the smokies. also whats the road crossing like at davenport gap? good place to get picked up by a ride or a hitch? also does 441 pass through the smokies and the trail? no map handy. as always thanks for your inputs and opinions. sometimes they are helpful haha...

brack

camich
04-12-2004, 08:03
My husband and I hiked thru the Smokies in late Jul '03. We had one late afternoon thunderstorm, but it wasn't too bad. There were only a few people in the shelters (if anyone at all) with one exception...Peck's corner had several boy scouts. They were respectful and went to sleep as soon as it got dark. We arranged to be picked up at I-40 right after Davenport Gap. It worked out great for us. I'm not sure about a hitch but there is a lot of traffic coming off & going onto the interstate. Yes, 441 crosses the trail in the Smokies at Newfound Gap. It was a great hike, hope you enjoy it.:)

-Cam

Jaybird
04-12-2004, 08:59
......... im planning a trip for sometime around the second week in august. maybe picking up around the rock gap area where i left off during spring break and just keep on keeping on. hopefully will make it through the smokies. but my question is... whats the trail like during this time?............ also whats the road crossing like at davenport gap? good place to get picked up by a ride or a hitch? also does 441 pass through the smokies and the trail? .................................................. ..brack

Yo Brack

As you probably know...August is high TOURIST season in the Smokies...so, you wont be alone in your hiking (thats for sure).........It's very HOT in August......according to the 2003 A.T. Data book...TN32/NC284 crosses the eastern boundry of the Smokies@Davenport Gap.(Groceries,Lodging,Meals available 1.3-2.5miles away) & YES, Hwy 441 passes right thru the GSMNP @ Newfound Gap (31.3 miles before Davenport Gap)

good luck with your hike! :D

bobgessner57
04-15-2004, 22:39
Brack:
You can easily get a ride at Clingmans Dome or Newfound Gap. Lots of tourists stop for the views, you will be a star attraction and it is easy to strike up a conversation. Beats hitching. Also lots of hikers start/end or get dropped off at those places. The parking lots are easy to survey for likely rides.

An alternative to Davenport Gap would be to take the Chestnut Branch trail down to the Big Creek ranger station and trailhead parking lot. This 2 mile trail is about 2 miles south of Davenport Gap. If nobody is at the trailhead there is another bigger trailhead parking area and picnic grounds (can you look hungry?) up the road to the right a short ways or Mountain Mommas is down the road a short distance below the ranger station. Should be easy to hustle a ride from any of these places.