PDA

View Full Version : nalgenes

TrippinBTM
12-18-2008, 22:18
ok, just how toxic are these things? I found one on the trail this summer in the whites (never could find an owner for it, so I kept it). New bottles cost money, and I'd rather use this one for free. So, am I gonna get cancer, or what?

nufsaid
12-18-2008, 22:23
ok, just how toxic are these things? I found one on the trail this summer in the whites (never could find an owner for it, so I kept it). New bottles cost money, and I'd rather use this one for free. So, am I gonna get cancer, or what?

If you are a female - no problem. If you are a male there is an extremely small chance that it could shrink your nads and grow your breasts.

Not a cancer risk.

Tuombe247
12-18-2008, 22:40
Never heard of ANY Nalgene problems...buying a couple of 32 oz's when my girlfriend and I go NOBO in the next couple of years

snaplok
12-18-2008, 22:42
If you are a female - no problem. If you are a male there is an extremely small chance that it could shrink your nads and grow your breasts.

Not a cancer risk.

See, now I heard it only affects you if you're a midget or a zombie.
Considering how many things cause cancer, I think it's more dangerous to use a beer can pot than it is a nalgene. There's a coating on the inside of the can that poses health risks. So let's see air causes cancer, food causes cancer, smoking causes cancer, second hand smoke causes cancer...... seems like if you get it you get it.
I did cancer research for 2 years and unfortunately the only thing that is known is that there are chances to get it with everything, ie genetics, diet, environment, habits, etc.
We used transgenic animals to find out if the lack of certain genes causes abnomalities. That was about 10 years ago, and today they are no further along(sorry to say but my xwife still does research on it.)
Personally I knew an 82 yr old who smoked 2 packs aday washed down with Johnny Walker and Dewars daily. Lived til 84.
The stress of worrying will kill you faster than the products.

Compass
12-18-2008, 23:49
The only bottles that I have NEVER had a leak from are my a Nalgenes. This is important especially in the cold if you are going to sleep with it.

I carry one;
*1L Nalgene(also has measurements for cooking)
*Gatoraid bottle or a 2L soda bottle(lightest per Liter for you gram counters but has
small fill hole for powdered drinks)
*3L Bladder(mainly for camp water).

skinewmexico
12-19-2008, 00:19
Pretty toxic from a weight standpoint.

rockdawg69
12-19-2008, 00:39
If I remember correctly, the USEPA process for determining a health risk assessment from a chemical that is a carcinigen goes something like this: Acceptable Risk is based on a life time of exposure (that is 70 years) above the indicated level (in parts per million or parts per billion for liquids) for a minumum of 1 liter of water ingested per day to have no more than 1 additional cancer in a population of 1,000,000.

Now that comes to 1 additional cancer from the particular exposure, in a normal American population where there will be 250,000 cancers from everything else in the 1,000,000 folks - total =s 250,001.

If your exposure exceeds the maximum limits set for the particular carcinigen, you may get a cancer sooner.

Then again, you can die from drinking too much "pure" water also. "Youse takes your chances everyday."

4eyedbuzzard
12-19-2008, 00:39
Q: What is the leading cause of cancer in laboratory rats? :-?

A: Laboratories

mudhead
12-19-2008, 07:25

But worth keeping, if for no other reason than whipping it out and drinking from it if you were ever graced with MS,s presence.

Cabin Fever
12-19-2008, 09:21
Lots of other threads about this:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43910&highlight=nalgene+plastic

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41187&highlight=nalgene+plastic

Go buy Nalgenes and Camelbaks now. They are made of a material that does not contain the chemical in question - bisphenol A. It just so happens that the manufacturer of that material is Eastman Chemical Comapny - the only corporate sponsor of a trail maintaining club. That is a shameless marketing ploy for my employer.

dradius
12-19-2008, 09:31
Cabin Fever is dead on. The fuss over plastic bottles is usually specifically about BPA. The new nalgene bottles have big stickers on them stating "BPA FREE" I read somewhere (on here probably) that Canada has/is about to ban BPA in all plastic bottles. It is also in the lining of canned foods, cheap plastic shower curtains, and a billion other things :(

snaplok
12-19-2008, 10:06
If I remember correctly, the USEPA process for determining a health risk assessment from a chemical that is a carcinigen goes something like this: Acceptable Risk is based on a life time of exposure (that is 70 years) above the indicated level (in parts per million or parts per billion for liquids) for a minumum of 1 liter of water ingested per day to have no more than 1 additional cancer in a population of 1,000,000.

Now that comes to 1 additional cancer from the particular exposure, in a normal American population where there will be 250,000 cancers from everything else in the 1,000,000 folks - total =s 250,001.

If your exposure exceeds the maximum limits set for the particular carcinigen, you may get a cancer sooner.

Then again, you can die from drinking too much "pure" water also. "Youse takes your chances everyday."

Supposedly the biggest risk comes from boiled water put in the container and then drinking it. So simply put don't do that.

cr113
12-19-2008, 10:34
I tried to ignore the warnings but I gave up and took all my nalgenes to goodwill (hmmm was that ethical?).

Now I'm drinking out of my BPA free nalgene bottle. :)

TrippinBTM
12-19-2008, 12:20
Supposedly the biggest risk comes from boiled water put in the container and then drinking it. So simply put don't do that.

Yeah I never do that. I just don't want to go buy another one if what I've got is safe enough. I figure I'm probably offsetting my bad-health risk by being out there hiking in clean air, being active and happy. Still, I wondered just how big of a risk it was, these bottles. No need to take unnecessary risks, eh?

The world is a deathtrap anyways, and no one's getting out of this alive. :eek:

snaplok
12-19-2008, 13:33
Yeah I never do that. I just don't want to go buy another one if what I've got is safe enough. I figure I'm probably offsetting my bad-health risk by being out there hiking in clean air, being active and happy. Still, I wondered just how big of a risk it was, these bottles. No need to take unnecessary risks, eh?

The world is a deathtrap anyways, and no one's getting out of this alive. :eek:

Well put. There's a miracle cure out there for that, my grandfather told me before he passed. Here's a man who fought against the Germans in Britain, had his plane shot down, survived with pieces of shrapnel in his leg( with aid of a cane and scotch ;)) and was diagnosed with a fatal heart condition when he was 32 and lived til 72. His miracle cure, LIFE. He had 2 children and a wife to take care of, he had no time to die. There are too many cliches out there to say the same thing, but enjoy what you have now, cause life is too long when you make bad decisions but really short when you've made the right ones.

Rockhound
12-19-2008, 21:48
:-? I quit using my nalgene for drinking due to all the cancer concerns. I just use mine for an ashtray now.

Manwich
12-19-2008, 21:53
:-? I quit using my nalgene for drinking due to all the cancer concerns. I just use mine for an ashtray now.

... err... ehh. ummm, hey uhhh

sheepdog
12-19-2008, 22:17
Now that is funny.

Franco
12-19-2008, 23:55
Snaplok
"he had no time to die"
I like that, very true. Note how many die as soon as their partner dies or just after retirement. If you convince yourself that something will kill you, it will.
To me the all point is to minimise the risk but I believe that the chance of me being poisoned by my aluminium pot or a Nalgene bottle is a lot less than being killed by the pollution in the city or by watching daytime TV.
( come to think of it, most TV programmes...) Legally in a lot of countries once you are brain dead, you are dead.
Franco

drastic_quench
12-20-2008, 01:14
Please. Hikers that classify Nalgenes as heavy might as well spit as they hike to reduce their weight.

TrippinBTM
12-20-2008, 20:57
Please. Hikers that classify Nalgenes as heavy might as well spit as they hike to reduce their weight.

don't give 'em any ideas...