PDA

View Full Version : Base Layer for Thru Hike weather

Gator 65
12-19-2008, 16:58
I wear Patagonia Capilene base layer top and bottoms for skiing in Colorado which keeps me warm even on 0 deg. days. my question is will they be too much for leaving Springer in Late Feb and / or should I save them for camp during the night. I perspire heavilywhen hiking and worry that this layer will add to the problem and cause even more of a problem then a solution.

Ramble~On
12-19-2008, 17:05
You'll be happy you have it if you need it and if you find that you don't it doesn't weigh that much that you'd mind carrying it to the closest place to ship it home.
In winter I like to have a layer like this to change into at the end of the day if my other clothes are wet -

BookBurner
12-20-2008, 10:49
I find a Capilene top with a half-zip to be a comfortable shirt for hiking on those cold days in February (But have a short sleeve shirt, as well. Early March can also bring surprisingly warm temps, only to return to freezing the next week.) I suggest taking one long-sleeve for hiking and another one for camp.

I've never hiked in the bottoms. At most, I'll throw on my nylon rain pants over shorts. Save the bottoms solely for camp.

Gator 65
12-20-2008, 11:28
Thanks for the input. It makes sense to keep one dry for camp. My biggest worry is the big temp. changes at night.