PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle from Sam's Gap to Davenport Gap

coheterojo
12-19-2008, 19:53
Two of my friends and I are doing the 81 miles between Davenport Gap and Sam's Gap in the Pisgah the week after Christmas (12/27 - 1/02). Usually we would leave one car at the north end and drive to the south end in a second car and start hiking. Due to craptacular luck all of our second car options have evaporated. Does anyone have a suggestion for a shuttle possibility next Saturday morning?

Thanks in advance.

Marta
12-19-2008, 20:40
Have you tried Curtis, at Standing Bear Farm? You should be able to PM him through Whiteblaze, username "curtisvowen."

coheterojo
12-19-2008, 20:47
No I haven't. Thank you for the suggestion.

Rockhound
12-19-2008, 21:38
Curtis will be visiting family and friends between Christmas and New Years so you may be out of luck there. Another option might be to leave your car at Standing Bear, which you are more than welcome to do, and have someone from Bluff Mt. Outfitters pick you up there and shuttle you to Sams Gap. Then you will be able to hike back to your car. I'm not sure what Bluff Mt would charge for the shuttle. As far as parking is concerned, it is $2 per day if you want to leave your car at Stranding Bear.

Marta
12-19-2008, 22:26
You might want to leave your car at Sam's Gap (which I've done a number of times without incident) and see if Bluff Mtn. Outfitters can find someone to shuttle you to Davenport Gap.

coheterojo
12-19-2008, 22:45
The game plan was to leave the car at Sam's Gap and find a ride back to Davenport. I prefer to hike S to N in the winter anyways. Keeps the sun out of my eyes. I'll give Bluff Mtn. a call. They're in Hot Springs, right?

Marta
12-19-2008, 23:20
Yes, in Hot Springs.

Tennessee Viking
12-20-2008, 04:08
I could at most get you to Hot Springs, but my schedule is so erratic with holidays at work, I doubt I will be available.

Contact Johnny's to see if they do a shuttle to Hot Springs. Bluff Mtn to Davenport Gap.

Also check with Hemlock Hollow Hostel & Cabins near Allen Gap.

coheterojo
12-20-2008, 10:21
Thanks for the help. Got it squared away with Bluff Mountain Outfitters. They'll be picking us up at Sam's Gap. Whoo Hoo!

Hikes in Rain
01-27-2009, 20:55
I'm planning this same hike (well, in reverse) in late April or early May. How'd it go? Water OK? How's cell service in those areas?

Tennessee Viking
01-27-2009, 23:49
I'm planning this same hike (well, in reverse) in late April or early May. How'd it go? Water OK? How's cell service in those areas?Verizon (I guess Alltel as well with the merger) is the best solution. Sprint only works on the main highways. AT&T is only good in the cities.

Hikes in Rain
01-28-2009, 07:16
Thanks, Benjamin. I appreciate it. I like to check in with home occasionally when I'm out there by myself. I do have Alltel, and thought that with the proximity of Erwin and Hot Springs I wouldn't be more than a day or so without service.

xnav
01-28-2009, 11:59
I am planning a hike from Davenport Gap to Erwin this spring. I use ATT and have hiked from Springer to Davenport Gap and only had two days without cell phone coverage. Does ATT really drop off that much north of the GSMNP? If it does it will save me from carring a cell phone.