PDA

View Full Version : Transportation to Springer

johnnybgood
12-20-2008, 01:30
Wanted to survey modes of transportation taken to get to Springer from VA. Any advice on airport/bus terminals to Springer/Amicalola . Has anyone taken Amtrak from mid-atlantic states? Just would like to know pros and cons of each.:-?

KG4FAM
12-20-2008, 02:19
I have taken Amtrak four times this year just for hiking. Its the way to go. Do a search, its been discussed plenty. From Richmond I would get a ride from someone over to Charlottesville and take the Crescent down. Sleeper is the way to go if you can afford it. Either way it beats the bus.

Lone Wolf
12-20-2008, 07:51
I have taken Amtrak four times this year just for hiking. Its the way to go. Do a search, its been discussed plenty. From Richmond I would get a ride from someone over to Charlottesville and take the Crescent down. Sleeper is the way to go if you can afford it. Either way it beats the bus.

yup it's the way to go. i've ridden the Crescent 10 times from NY to Gainesville

Freeze
12-20-2008, 10:11
Flying into Atlanta, take MARTHA Rail to North Springs Station, have Josh or Leigh from hikerhostel.com pick me up there.

If you want costs as well:

One-way ticket to ATL: $74
MARTHA rail: $2.25
hikerhostel Thru-Hiker special: $70