PDA

View Full Version : eBay gear...

Tuombe247
12-20-2008, 03:14
I'm a little confused... These eBay sleeping bags are rated at 0 degrees F and all this other good stuff and it's going for at least $100 less than what might be on say, REI.com or other name brand sites... Are these like knock-offs or the real deal?

KG4FAM
12-20-2008, 03:25
Which specific sleeping bags are you talking about? If it is a generic no name brand then they are probably crap. If it is a name brand then you just go with the reputation of the brand as to the trueness of their rating. If it is something like a Marmot then you at least have the EN ratings to go from and don't even need to know the reputation for the rating, only the construction.

Tuombe247
12-20-2008, 03:28
yeah I see some Marmot bags, and all sorts of other good names, but I just dont understand why theyre so darn cheap, it's like everywhere I look there's a good bag... I'm looking @ MSR stoves now and theyre going cheap too...

Tuombe247
12-20-2008, 03:29
BTW, I'm watching the most expensive backpack on REI go for more than 200$ off on eBay, it's crazy, if I had the money I'd buy it in a heartbeat

KG4FAM
12-20-2008, 03:43
BTW, I'm watching the most expensive backpack on REI go for more than 200$ off on eBay, it's crazy, if I had the money I'd buy it in a heartbeatwell you are looking at the extremes. REI sells pretty much everything for MSRP and eBay has very good deals for lots of reasons

skinewmexico
12-20-2008, 04:09
Just watch steep and cheap. Better deals, and a real company. REI was selling a 40 degree down bag for $55 today though.

KG4FAM
12-20-2008, 04:18
Just watch steep and cheap. Better deals, and a real company. REI was selling a 40 degree down bag for $55 today though.watch steep and cheap for what, sunglasses and town clothes. Backpacking gear comes up a only a few times a day.

4eyedbuzzard
12-20-2008, 07:26
I'm a little confused... These eBay sleeping bags are rated at 0 degrees F and all this other good stuff and it's going for at least $100 less than what might be on say, REI.com or other name brand sites... Are these like knock-offs or the real deal?

Are those the final prices(completed listing) you're seeing on ebay, or just the starting or mid auction bid prices? Most actual bidding occurs in the last 60 seconds on ebay. That said, sometimes there are great deal on gear on ebay, but I've also seen people pay $100 over what I could buy an item from a retailer for(saw a WM highlight go for over $400 last year while they were in stock at $250 to $300 at several retailers)

Grinder
12-20-2008, 09:11
4eyed is right on!!

You have to check "completed auctions" to get the real picture.

also check sizes. Lots of "unbelievable prices" are suitable only for pixies and ogres.

Grinder

dkh178
12-20-2008, 09:59
I bought most of my gear off eBay. It takes awhile to find the right deal. I got a new Osprey Aether backpack for $130 last month. Two Marmot 15 degree bag for $50 each (slightly used) earlier this year. My latest score has a slightly used Marmot Precip rain jacket for $26. it was missing a zipper, but I called Marmot before I bought it and they confirmed that the repair is covered under warrenty.

Do your research before bidding, so you don't buy crap. Must importantly, don't bid until the last few minutes. That keeps from driving the price up. Determine your highest bid and put it in at the last second. It works for me 9 out of 10 times.

Red Hat
12-20-2008, 12:27
I tried to buy a couple of used HH ultralight backpacker hammocks on Ebay, only to see them bid up to retail. Finally bought one here, just had to wait. I've bought two used WM bags here, both great.

Lyle
12-20-2008, 13:15
I've had good luck getting good deals on Ebay. I recently got a new WM Caribou Sleeping bag and a new Montbell SS #0 at pretty good prices, not spectacular. One recent purchase that didn't turn out so good was a surplus military wool sweater for $5. Was a size large, but, unfortunately, has shrunk. Probably a size medium or even a small. Not much good for me. Anyone interested? Free if you pay shipping.

My advice is use reasonable caution. I will avoid buying used wool products from now on.:D

Blissful
12-20-2008, 13:50
You can get good deals here from WB hikers selling gear.

flemdawg1
12-20-2008, 16:32
Always ask how used sleeping bags were stored if you are buying a used on eBay. Otherwise you might get one that was stored compressed and it might loft back out.