PDA

View Full Version : Neos Overshoes - does anyone here use them?

Tinker
12-20-2008, 13:00
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___44908

I was wondering about the warmth of these. My 20 year old Sorel SnowCats have had it (liners flattened and uppers leaking).

I will use them for around the house and 5 mile snowshoe trips up into the White and Green Mountains this winter.

Comments? Thanks. :)

KG4FAM
12-20-2008, 13:10
I have never used that particular model, but I had a pair of Neos Overshoes when I was volunteering after Katrina. The ones I had were just rain boots. When it rained down there mud puddles filled up like crazy so I almost had to wear them whenever it rained. They held up good, snaps were good, never leaked. I would think that other stuff they make is good quality as well.

Tinker
12-20-2008, 13:22
Thanks. I actually had a pair of the uninsulated ones until I loaned them to my son who took them to a camp and left them there. :(

Peaks
12-20-2008, 16:42
Our grown daughters have them and use them as ski coaches. They are insulated and pull over their nordic ski boots (not alpine boots).

Sorels are not an overshoe. Unless you want to wear them with something hiking boots, I recommend that you stay with Sorels or something similar.

Tinker
12-20-2008, 18:34
Our grown daughters have them and use them as ski coaches. They are insulated and pull over their nordic ski boots (not alpine boots).

Sorels are not an overshoe. Unless you want to wear them with something hiking boots, I recommend that you stay with Sorels or something similar.

I do want to use them with some trail runners, in order to have something else with traction in the sole, for wearing in camp.
Thanks.

buckwheat
12-24-2008, 17:44
I do want to use them with some trail runners, in order to have something else with traction in the sole, for wearing in camp.
Thanks.

Tinker, I just bought a pair of these and here were my impressions after testing them out for a few minutes. I haven't hiked them yet.

* I bought the Neos Explorer Stabilicer model here:

http://www.overshoe.com/recreational/products/detail.php?s=EXS

I was looking for an overshoe I could use hiking (not mountaineering) that would provide me with enhanced traction but also warmth as my feet tend to ache if they get cold, and seem to get cold fairly easily. So, that was my goal. I wasn't looking for a crampon-type shoe, but for more traction than just a hiking boot. (I'll probably get the Kahtoola MicroSpkes for those times I feel I need a crampon). I think I paid $99.00 on Amazon.com. I am a size 10 1/2 to 11 tennis shoe, but wear a 11 1/2 to 12 hiking shoe (depending on manufacturer). I purchased the Large size Voyager.

Here were my impressions.

Traction
As I said, I got the Explorer Stabilicer model, so these have basically hex-nut screws in the bottom of the sole for traction, plus some extra hard raised rubber traction nodules. I tested these out on snow, deep snow, compressed snow/ice (but not solid surface black ice yet). I'm impressed with the traction. I was comfortable running on all these surfaces (not that I recommend that, but that was my test.)

Comfort
Very cozy, even when my foot was buried in snow. This style is rated down to 0 degrees, but you can get even warmer models for colder climates.

Undershoe
I was able to fit my tennis shoe in there, but not my hiking shoe. So be advised, you may want to try to find a dealer and get fit for the shoe you plan on wearing with them. There were no dealer's near my house, so I went with Amazon so that if I didn't like them, I could return them. Wearing without an undershoe would probably not work, and also be uncomfortable, so you will have added weight of two shoes.

Weight
Fairly heavy, owing to the 0 degree warmth rating. Neos says these are 3.2 pounds. You can get the lighter (less warm) Voyager model if weight is an issue for you. They also make an even heavier -20 degree called the Adventurer for just a little more weight.

Around the House
You seriously do not want to walk on anything you care about with these puppies. They are not as damaging as crampons I suppose, but these are gonna claw up just about any surface up to and possibly including concrete. I would not recommend driving in them either.

When I'm faced with a slippery surface, I wanted a bear claw. I do not want to have to worry about how lightly I step or whether the shoe I'm wearing is "up to the task" or whether my solution is going to maybe break down on the trail. I was willing to give up some weight to get piece of mind and warmth.

My initial impression of these is that they fit the bill.

Cheers,
Buckwheat

buckwheat
12-24-2008, 17:55
I forgot to mention:

The right boot had an interior pocket into which you can store the tool used to replace the hex-nut "spikes" with room for some extra spikes. I thought that was a pretty cool touch. At first I thought it would bother me having a hex nut tool in my boot, but surprisingly, I almost didn't even notice it.

If you have questions, fire away, but keep in mind I haven't hiked long-distance in these yet (and probably wouldn't try any huge distances in them owing to the extra weight anyway.)

Tinker
12-25-2008, 10:57
Tinker, I just bought a pair of these and here were my impressions after testing them out for a few minutes. I haven't hiked them yet.

* I bought the Neos Explorer Stabilicer model here:

http://www.overshoe.com/recreational/products/detail.php?s=EXS

I was looking for an overshoe I could use hiking (not mountaineering) that would provide me with enhanced traction but also warmth as my feet tend to ache if they get cold, and seem to get cold fairly easily. So, that was my goal. I wasn't looking for a crampon-type shoe, but for more traction than just a hiking boot. (I'll probably get the Kahtoola MicroSpkes for those times I feel I need a crampon). I think I paid $99.00 on Amazon.com. I am a size 10 1/2 to 11 tennis shoe, but wear a 11 1/2 to 12 hiking shoe (depending on manufacturer). I purchased the Large size Voyager.

Here were my impressions.

Traction
As I said, I got the Explorer Stabilicer model, so these have basically hex-nut screws in the bottom of the sole for traction, plus some extra hard raised rubber traction nodules. I tested these out on snow, deep snow, compressed snow/ice (but not solid surface black ice yet). I'm impressed with the traction. I was comfortable running on all these surfaces (not that I recommend that, but that was my test.)

Comfort
Very cozy, even when my foot was buried in snow. This style is rated down to 0 degrees, but you can get even warmer models for colder climates.

Undershoe
I was able to fit my tennis shoe in there, but not my hiking shoe. So be advised, you may want to try to find a dealer and get fit for the shoe you plan on wearing with them. There were no dealer's near my house, so I went with Amazon so that if I didn't like them, I could return them. Wearing without an undershoe would probably not work, and also be uncomfortable, so you will have added weight of two shoes.

Weight
Fairly heavy, owing to the 0 degree warmth rating. Neos says these are 3.2 pounds. You can get the lighter (less warm) Voyager model if weight is an issue for you. They also make an even heavier -20 degree called the Adventurer for just a little more weight.

Around the House
You seriously do not want to walk on anything you care about with these puppies. They are not as damaging as crampons I suppose, but these are gonna claw up just about any surface up to and possibly including concrete. I would not recommend driving in them either.

When I'm faced with a slippery surface, I wanted a bear claw. I do not want to have to worry about how lightly I step or whether the shoe I'm wearing is "up to the task" or whether my solution is going to maybe break down on the trail. I was willing to give up some weight to get piece of mind and warmth.

My initial impression of these is that they fit the bill.

Cheers,
Buckwheat
Thanks, Buckwheat.
Big help :)
T.

mudhead
12-25-2008, 18:35
http://www.backcountry.com/store/KHT0017/Kahtoola-FLIGHTboot-Snow-Travel-System.html

I have not tried these.

Another option.

Bet they make for sweaty feet!

buckwheat
12-25-2008, 19:04
Thanks, Buckwheat.
Big help :)
T.

Your welcome.

I wore these out today on a 5-mile shakeout run. Conditions were slushy melting snow 6-8 inches deep, occasional packed snow/ice. Still haven't been able to get these onto pond ice yet owing to ice thickness in these parts.

I wore these over sneakers with a poly undersock and a wool blend hiking oversock (which is fairly typical hiking foot gear for me.)

These held up well on the break-in run today. They were a bit heavy, but I had complete confidence when crossing melt streams up over my ankle owing to the design of this overboot, and never once did I even feel the cold or any hint of it. Good traction, even in slushy conditions. Confidence, for me, is key. I want to know when I'm out in these kind of conditions that I can trust that my gear isn't going to break down ... mainly because I'm hiking solo 99% of the time.

On uphills, I do toe kick steps ... where I kick my toe first into the snow and then step down on the heel. I get less slippage this way and a flatter platform to take the step up, but this step also exposes my toes to potentially kicking buried rocks hard. This overboot gave me good confidence as the toe and heel are heavy duty (not steel-toed boot heavy duty, but good heavy plastic adding protection.)

I wanted something less than a snowshoe that I felt I could hike 5-8 miles in on winter days. I think these will do fine for that and I can use 'em when shovelling my driveway also!

Cheers