PDA

View Full Version : Jobs for an outfitter, outdoor gear manufacturer?

RememberYourZen
12-20-2008, 13:20
Hey guys,

I just graduated about a week ago with a degree in Comm. Media and a minor in outdoor leadership. I'm a total gear head and have worked for some outdoor retail companies and have also done some marketing/ad internships.

My question: How do you get involved with an outdoor manufacturer as far as jobs are concerned? Like how do you work for a company like montbell, Patagonia, arc'teryx, feathered friends, etc.

The choices aren't limited to those companies, I just would like any help I can get...in my search online I haven't come across too many job opps. pertaining to that profession.

Jack Tarlin
12-20-2008, 13:37
Check out their websites. You should find info on most of them re. employment. Or you can contact them by writing or calling and get the name of the person in charge of Human Resources. This is the person you should direct your inquiries to. Include a professionally written and prepared resume detailing your work history, education, background, interests, and careeer goals. Include a brief cover letter in which you highlight why you wish to work for that particular company.

Just be willing to send out a lot of letters and give it some time. A lot of folks aren't doing much hiring these days.

Good luck to you!

RememberYourZen
12-20-2008, 14:48
Check out their websites. You should find info on most of them re. employment. Or you can contact them by writing or calling and get the name of the person in charge of Human Resources. This is the person you should direct your inquiries to. Include a professionally written and prepared resume detailing your work history, education, background, interests, and careeer goals. Include a brief cover letter in which you highlight why you wish to work for that particular company.

Just be willing to send out a lot of letters and give it some time. A lot of folks aren't doing much hiring these days.

Good luck to you!

Thanks I really appreciate the help. I've been making efforts to do that, it's just so difficult to find someone who wants an entry-level employee.:o

Toolshed
12-20-2008, 15:06
I think normally you need to go back to school and get a double masters in Art History and Sociology first before you can realize your true potential. :D

Seriously though - a first step might be starting (or continuing to work for) with an outdoor outfitter/retailer and express an interst with them about moving upstream. Network with the store buyer who can introduce you to his/her contacts with their distributors and Mfg Reps. move further upstream and start networking with them. Networking takes longer but usually provides better results than a shotgun approach of blanketing all with resumes (not saying don't try that approach, though).

Another angle in concert with the first - Get on some trail committees or outdoor clubs which are always looking for volunteers. This could help with your networking approach as well. Organize a project like a cleanup or trail brushing event - contact Mfgrs and ask for tchaschkes to give to project volunteers. This also helps you start a first name relationship with the Mfgr reps - especially if they can get free publicity for their products.

It takes time, but I think it is well worth it.
Finally - Be ready to relocate.

flemdawg1
12-20-2008, 16:00
http://48days.com/

A great book for getting the career you really want.

A-Train
12-20-2008, 18:18
Jack's right. Be patient. Besides the economic recession, no one is gonna be hiring until early January, and most likely your resume/cover letter is gonna sit in someone's inbox until after New Years.

You'd think obtaining an entry level job as someone with a college degree wouldn't be so difficult, but it is!

Why not start with what you've got already. You say you've got a lot of experience in the industry (retail?) . Ask your former or current employers of the retail shops for some contacts. Each company usually has a regional sales rep. that does business with your store. As employees of the company they could be a good resource to recommending you (face to a name) to the HR person. Most folks don't have a lot of luck these days finding things on the internet-resumes tend to end up at the bottom of a pile. Making real life connections will help you get your foot in the door, at least with an interview.

You should be willing to relocate. A lot of outdoor companies are located in Colorado, Portland, places out west, etc.

Also be willing to start with an intership, and do whatever they want. These companies typically don't pay a lot, especially to start so you need to show you're a "team player".

Best of luck!

cannonball
12-20-2008, 18:55
You have a degree in communications and have done advertising internships yet you are on the net seeking suggestions on how to market you skills? Something seems a miss in zenville:eek:

A-Train
12-20-2008, 19:27
You have a degree in communications and have done advertising internships yet you are on the net seeking suggestions on how to market you skills? Something seems a miss in zenville:eek:

Actually a smart person would seek all avenues of information, including the net. He is smart to come on here, the more suggestions, the better.

Who says finding a job is easy? It may of been for you, but a lot of folks struggle. One should never put all their eggs in one basket. Maybe this will grab the attention of someone in the industry. Ya never know...

double d
12-20-2008, 19:59
First: Congrats on your getting your college degree! Thats a heck of an achievement. Second, as others have said, take your time, but take a look at REI, it is always ranked as one of the best 100 corporations in the U.S.

RememberYourZen
12-20-2008, 20:50
Jack's right. Be patient. Besides the economic recession, no one is gonna be hiring until early January, and most likely your resume/cover letter is gonna sit in someone's inbox until after New Years.

You'd think obtaining an entry level job as someone with a college degree wouldn't be so difficult, but it is!

Why not start with what you've got already. You say you've got a lot of experience in the industry (retail?) . Ask your former or current employers of the retail shops for some contacts. Each company usually has a regional sales rep. that does business with your store. As employees of the company they could be a good resource to recommending you (face to a name) to the HR person. Most folks don't have a lot of luck these days finding things on the internet-resumes tend to end up at the bottom of a pile. Making real life connections will help you get your foot in the door, at least with an interview.

You should be willing to relocate. A lot of outdoor companies are located in Colorado, Portland, places out west, etc.

Also be willing to start with an intership, and do whatever they want. These companies typically don't pay a lot, especially to start so you need to show you're a "team player".

Best of luck!

All of this advice is great, thanks everyone. I plan on taking a look at some of the outfitters and trying to start out there. I actually have a connection with feathered friends, so maybe there would be a start?

I suppose showing everyone I work with that I'm willing to go the extra mile would be the best thing to do.

RememberYourZen
12-20-2008, 20:52

I majored in media, I'm not sure what the problem is with using all of the mediums I have at my disposal to get some advice.

Mags
12-20-2008, 21:17
I majored in media, I'm not sure what the problem is with using all of the mediums I have at my disposal to get some advice.

Not a thing. Seem wise to me.

Best of luck in finding a job you enjoy as opposed to something you survive! :sun

mudcap
12-20-2008, 21:46

Like Mags ,I do not see anything wrong . I think you are going about this in the right way. Good for you! From what I read in your posts you will have success. It may take some time,but you will be fine in the long run...just a gut feeling.

RememberYourZen
12-20-2008, 23:48
Not a thing. Seem wise to me.

Best of luck in finding a job you enjoy as opposed to something you survive! :sun

Haha, thanks, that's the truth!

Like Mags ,I do not see anything wrong . I think you are going about this in the right way. Good for you! From what I read in your posts you will have success. It may take some time,but you will be fine in the long run...just a gut feeling.

Well I appreciate it. I'm hoping the ambition will pay off. Any job (with the state of the economy) at this point would be great though!

fiddlehead
12-21-2008, 00:22
Your timing is not so good.
THe Christmas season is the busiest time for most of these kinds of companies and they hire part time help to fill in the needed jobs.
If you are good, they may hire you full time after seeing how you work etc. (how much money you bring in to them???)
Unfortunately, you have about 4 more days till that is over.

mudcap
12-21-2008, 00:22
I'm hoping the ambition will pay off

That is exactly what i noticed when you posted,key word...Ambition. Good luck,you are on the right track. Go get em.I know the economy sucks,but there is always work for those that really want it. Been there,done that...all my life. We have not starved to death yet,been pretty hungry though.:o

RememberYourZen
12-21-2008, 00:36
That is exactly what i noticed when you posted,key word...Ambition. Good luck,you are on the right track. Go get em.I know the economy sucks,but there is always work for those that really want it. Been there,done that...all my life. We have not starved to death yet,been pretty hungry though.:o

Luckily I have mastered the way of spicing up ramen noodle dinners! At a whopping .07 cents a package, you can't go wrong.

You know, adding spices, shredded cheese, etc. Makes ramen seem like thanksgiving day's meal.:D

RememberYourZen
12-21-2008, 00:38
Your timing is not so good.
THe Christmas season is the busiest time for most of these kinds of companies and they hire part time help to fill in the needed jobs.
If you are good, they may hire you full time after seeing how you work etc. (how much money you bring in to them???)
Unfortunately, you have about 4 more days till that is over.

Yeah that definitely is a downside. I'm probably going to end up re-sending these emails/resumes again after the new year, so they can move back up to the top of the pile. I only graduated about 4 days ago though, so I'm trying to get as far ahead as possible.

jethro
12-21-2008, 02:48
Take advantage of the internships you've had with outdoor retail companies (assuming they went well). Ask your supervisor(s) if they're hiring, even in departments other than where you worked. It's easier to transfer into the job you want within the same company than to be hired by a new company in the first place.

If they're not hiring, ask for referrals to competitors, or at the very least names of contacts and letters of recommendation. Referrals go a long, long way with many employers.

Good luck!