PDA

View Full Version : The Jug End

Surplusman
12-20-2008, 15:30
I suffered a stroke on July '07 that left me temporarily with no use of my right leg and arm. Through rehab and exercising on my own, all I have left from it is a limp in my right leg. From the day of the stroke my goal was getting back on the AT after a hiatus of about 46 years. Well, this last October I did it, and spent 3 days and 2 nights here on the AT in MA, going from Benedict Pond to Tyringham. Not very far, as I can't go that fast, but it was great to be back! I am looking forward to next year, and I would at some point like to do the Taconics, but I have seen mention that the trail off the Jug End is pretty dicey. I use trekking poles and hike slowly and carefully, but I need some input as to how steep and how dangerous it is. Thanks

Roland
12-20-2008, 15:37
Congratulations on your perseverance, and welcome to WhiteBlaze!

gsingjane
12-20-2008, 20:20
Congratulations Surplusman on your wonderful achievement to battle back.

The people who are advising you that Jug End is dicey are right. It is extremely steep, you cross rock scrambles and there are several fairly dangerous spots. It would seem to me that, having worked so hard to come back, and perhaps, as you mention, not being as steady as you once were, you might want to choose some other areas to hike in first. I especially recommend most of CT - other than the north end of Bear Mtn. and maybe St. John's Ledges, there's not really anything that will be unduly dangerous. And the shelters are spaced so that you could have yourself a nice day's hike.

I know there are people out there who will go up and down something like Jug End all day, and think nothing of it, and will blithely advise anybody else that they can do it, too. But for you, I'd much rather see you on slightly safer terrain, and not risking another fall or incident.

You should be very proud of yourself! I have known several people who've had strokes, and nobody who came back the great way you did.

Jane in CT

bullseye
12-20-2008, 20:33
Surplusman, congrads on your rehab. As gsingjane posted, better to not mess up your progress, the Jug End is steep and maybe a bit tricky for someone who might not be 100% steady yet. Why not hike north from Tyringham? It's as nice a section of trail as any. Anyway, good luck.

Footslogger
12-21-2008, 12:40
I suffered a stroke on July '07 that left me temporarily with no use of my right leg and arm. Through rehab and exercising on my own, all I have left from it is a limp in my right leg. From the day of the stroke my goal was getting back on the AT after a hiatus of about 46 years. Well, this last October I did it, and spent 3 days and 2 nights here on the AT in MA, going from Benedict Pond to Tyringham. Not very far, as I can't go that fast, but it was great to be back! I am looking forward to next year, and I would at some point like to do the Taconics, but I have seen mention that the trail off the Jug End is pretty dicey. I use trekking poles and hike slowly and carefully, but I need some input as to how steep and how dangerous it is. Thanks

================================

You are a true inspiration to me personally. I was fortunate enough to thru-hike the AT in 2003 but this past March I suffered a sudden and really weird heart attack. Left me in ICU for 2 weeks and now after about 8 months and a lot of rehab I am starting to see the end of the tunnel and, like you, I hope to get back out on the trail.

Congratulations on perservering and making it back to the AT. My goals at this point are the John Muir and the Colorado trails. Had the PCT in mhy sights before the heart attack but thinking now that another long thru-hike might be a tad beyond my reach.

'Slogger

Surplusman
12-22-2008, 13:12
Many thanks for your note! Don't count yourself out of a long hike just yet.....and keep it up with the rehab after "formal" rehab is over. Most people make the mistake of stopping everything after formal rehab is over. In my case, my cardiologist told me "You MUST work out with weights!" Hey, so I went back to my kettlebells. Big difference in my stamina on the trail...I just didn't get tired and winded like I used to.
Best wishes to you and to all your future hikes!

Surplusman
12-22-2008, 13:19
Thanks for your kind words and input. Yeah....I think the Jug End will have to wait. Sounds like some good hiking in CT. I've got a lot of planning to do for next year!
The biggest mistake I made on this AT foray was carrying a 27-lb pack. I didn't use half of the stuff I packed. Lugging around that chest of drawers on my back didn't help my already messed up sense of balance, either.