PDA

View Full Version : Shoelace Question

Blue Wolf
12-20-2008, 19:34
I searched the site and didn't see anywhere on here that tells how or what you use to remove that waxy stuff that they put on shoe laces that makes them keep coming untied?

I have read it somewhere before can anyone tell me what you use to get this stuff off with so my shoes will stay tied??

ScottP
12-20-2008, 21:58
double knot?

shelterbuilder
12-20-2008, 22:00
double knot!

Mags
12-20-2008, 22:11
Seriously, I did not know there was anything else but a double knot to keep a shoe lace tied.

Of course, being 2008, and with a high tech gear industry, I did find these doo-dads:
http://walking.about.com/od/shoecare/tp/lacelock.htm

I'll stick to the double knot. :)

mudcap
12-20-2008, 22:42
I ditto the double knot.

rhjanes
12-20-2008, 22:53
I do a double knot.
Are you asked about what you can treat them with, to replace the factory "sticky"??
Beeswax! I get small "bricks" of it. Just run you lace over the brick a few times...

ednotmilkman
12-20-2008, 23:00
how about a 2nd shoelace Question; why do boots come with laces about 3 feet longer than necessary ?

fiddlehead
12-20-2008, 23:52
Simple cord lock works for me.

Compass
12-21-2008, 00:18
Extra lace length?
With boots especially work boots I wrap the laces around the top of the boot a full 360* to take the stress off the top hooks and even out pressure on the lower leg.

Double Knot.

Tinker
12-21-2008, 00:27
I would take a more aggressive action toward the unwieldly laces and simply replace them with flat laces that aren't waxed and stay tied. Some outfitters will do that for you to make the sale, and if they value you enough, they may do it after the fact.

Feral Bill
12-21-2008, 02:41
double knot?

NO! NO! NO! You can tie a knot that will not come out on its own but will pull right out when you want it to.
Here http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/secureknot.htm

I stumbled on this independently and have never looked back.

mudhead
12-21-2008, 06:38
That is a good knot. Looped, shoe version of a surgeon's knot I think.

I have had slippery laces before that I blamed on the material of the lace.

Those really long boot laces might be for pattern lacing. Like jump boots.

mweinstone
12-21-2008, 08:54
ya know the first twist? before you make the bow? twist around twice and then single bow that sucka.all knots are strongest witch have the least bends or the least severly angled bends. rope handeling is my forte. i received certification in expert handeling at nols. trust a nols grad. we know how to tie shoes. your double knot is week and sloppy and may not marry my daughter. furthermore get your asses up and start the christmas bacon.

JAK
12-21-2008, 12:06
I make my own shoelaces out of the same stuff I use for my tarp.

p.s. Then I double knot it.

daddytwosticks
12-21-2008, 12:32
Double knot or double not. Which one is it Neel? :)

Serial 07
12-21-2008, 12:47
great thread...i was mocked for not double knotting myself...for some reason, that extra knot never went well with me...i may try feral's bill knot...with a touch of matty...great thread though...

jlb2012
12-21-2008, 13:08
Simple cord lock works for me.

same here - cord lock and gutted 550 cord (sheath only) - I knot together the laces at the end with a "permanent" knot - makes loosening the laces a no-brainer - just slide the cord lock out till it hits the end knot - after tightening the laces I stick the end knot under the lace closest to the toe of the shoe

Pedaling Fool
12-21-2008, 13:08
Double knot always worked for me.

Don't switch to rawhide laces, the little critters like the salt in them. This happened to me one night when my shoes were in my tent vestibule

JAK
12-21-2008, 13:18
Alot depends on the thickness and slipperiness and stiffness of your favourite cordage. Sometimes you can even use a reef knot, without a bow, and still be able to untie it.
If like using the same cordage as would be used on small control lines on small sailboats.

Whatever you use for your tarp or tent it is a good idea if it will also work for shoelaces.

ScottP
12-21-2008, 13:26
I actually don't tie my laces--i use cordlocks. Much easier to take on and off to remove those pesky rocks.

Blue Wolf
12-21-2008, 14:24
Man these are some great replys! it's going to take some practice to get the hang of that knot but I like it. As far as double knot I do that and it helps, but I hate that waxy stuff on the laces I guess I am going to try & wash them with soap and water and try to get the hang of that knot.

Thanks for all of the great posts!

Spock
12-21-2008, 15:17
mweinstone has it nailed. Just give the lace a roll between the fingers before bowing it. That is the secret to all good knot tying:

The twist makes the rope lay where you want it to stay.

StubbleJumper
12-21-2008, 18:24
The secure knot is the only way to go. I cross-lock my laces and tie with a secure knot and it holds for miles. Only when I thrash through the nastiest brush do my shoes become untied...but I tend to get really tired of fighting with brush after a mile or so.

4eyedbuzzard
12-21-2008, 18:32
NO! NO! NO! You can tie a knot that will not come out on its own but will pull right out when you want it to.
Here http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/secureknot.htm

I stumbled on this independently and have never looked back.

That looks like what I've also heard called a "roofer's knot" (I'm just guessing it'scalld that because of all the fun of untied laces on a steep roof). I've been using that knot for years and it holds tight the whole day.