PDA

View Full Version : Florida Trail - Day Hike Reco Needed

Chenango
12-20-2008, 21:51
Last year I discovered the Florida Trail. While visiting my mom in New Port Richey I spent a day over in the Withalacoochee River Park area. I walked the loop starting at the canoe launch. I also spent a couple of hours in the park area itself. I saw lots of deer. Overall it was a very nice day. Well, I am heading down to FL again for the week of Jan 19th and can spare one full day for hiking.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a nice day hike within a couple hours of New Port Richey? I will have to do a loop or an in/out unless I can find someone to shuttle me (And possible hike with me. I like company.)

(BTW, I got up before dawn several mornings last year and walked in the Starky Wilderness Park. I plan to do the same this year. Nice place for being so close to a very populated area.)

Thanks fellow Whiteblazers ... or should I say Orange Blazers.

wahoo
12-20-2008, 23:48
Chenango -

You've got lots of options within 2 hours of NPR. A couple that you may be interested in is the Citrus Tract of the Withlacoochee State Forest. For a day hike, the "A" Loop or "A/B" Loop may be right up your alley.

Another option might be the Hillsborough River State Park, it's about an hour and a half away. There's about 6 miles of loop trail hiking there.

Take a look at those, and I'm sure other "Orange Blazers" will be adding to the list of potential hikes for you to consider!

slow
12-21-2008, 01:11
Last year I discovered the Florida Trail. While visiting my mom in New Port Richey I spent a day over in the Withalacoochee River Park area. I walked the loop starting at the canoe launch. I also spent a couple of hours in the park area itself. I saw lots of deer. Overall it was a very nice day. Well, I am heading down to FL again for the week of Jan 19th and can spare one full day for hiking.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a nice day hike within a couple hours of New Port Richey? I will have to do a loop or an in/out unless I can find someone to shuttle me (And possible hike with me. I like company.)

(BTW, I got up before dawn several mornings last year and walked in the Starky Wilderness Park. I plan to do the same this year. Nice place for being so close to a very populated area.)

Thanks fellow Whiteblazers ... or should I say Orange Blazers.

Small world.:)Spent many years at both bushwacking.Starky has some great wildlife.

Chenango
12-21-2008, 08:19
Chenango -

You've got lots of options within 2 hours of NPR. A couple that you may be interested in is the Citrus Tract of the Withlacoochee State Forest. For a day hike, the "A" Loop or "A/B" Loop may be right up your alley.

Another option might be the Hillsborough River State Park, it's about an hour and a half away. There's about 6 miles of loop trail hiking there.

Take a look at those, and I'm sure other "Orange Blazers" will be adding to the list of potential hikes for you to consider!

Thanks for the reco Wahoo. I just looked at the map for Hillsborough River State Park. Also, I viewed the video from your site. Cool!! I was on the Florida Trail site and ordered the Citrus Tract map as well. Thanks, again.

Chenango.

Chenango
12-21-2008, 08:21
Small world.:)Spent many years at both bushwacking.Starky has some great wildlife.

Starky is great. I can wander around in there for hours ... and see nobody. It is very peaceful.

jnetx
12-21-2008, 09:46
For FL Trail hiking you might consider Potts Preserve near Inverness also. It's a disconnected piece of the FL Trail also. It's a 16 mile loop trail, so no shuttles. No permit needed if you're not camping. They do have some hunt weekends there, but they are few and far between, and if you go out midweek probably not an issue.

Green Swamp is a nice hike. East has a loop, but if you wanted to linear hike, either there or on the West side you'd need to have someone to shuttle.

If you're going to spend any time hiking in the area go here ( http://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/recreation/ ) and get a copy of the Swiftmud recreation directory. You can download it as a pdf or order a cd or print version. It has some great local hikes listed.

I'd link to the FL Trail site, but it seems to have been down a while.

eArThworm
12-21-2008, 11:01
...I'd link to the FL Trail site, but it seems to have been down a while.

It's up now... http://www.floridatrail.org/

Chenango
12-22-2008, 11:07
For FL Trail hiking you might consider Potts Preserve near Inverness also. It's a disconnected piece of the FL Trail also. It's a 16 mile loop trail, so no shuttles. No permit needed if you're not camping. They do have some hunt weekends there, but they are few and far between, and if you go out midweek probably not an issue.

Green Swamp is a nice hike. East has a loop, but if you wanted to linear hike, either there or on the West side you'd need to have someone to shuttle.

If you're going to spend any time hiking in the area go here ( http://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/recreation/ ) and get a copy of the Swiftmud recreation directory. You can download it as a pdf or order a cd or print version. It has some great local hikes listed.

I'd link to the FL Trail site, but it seems to have been down a while.

Great resource/guide. Thanks.

BumpJumper
12-22-2008, 20:46
Hi Chen...glad to have you visit the Florida Trail.:welcome

BumpJumper
12-26-2008, 16:37
Hey Earthworm...how have you been?

eArThworm
12-26-2008, 16:45
Hey Earthworm...how have you been?
I'm in heaven...got SIX A.T.-memoir books for Christmas!! You going to the
FTA conference in March? I hope to see lots of folks there.

BumpJumper
12-26-2008, 16:52
I am going to try this year.

Chenango
01-20-2009, 16:55
Heading to Withlacoochee State Forest - Croom Tract tomorrow (Wednesday) for my annual day hike. It is going to be a chilly day (well maybe not too cold for a guy who left his NY house at -10F this past Saturday for the airport). I am parking at the West side of the tract near Croom Road (red mini van with FL handicapped plates - Mom's car). If anyone is out there, say hi to me (Chanango). I plan on starting around 7:00 - 7:30 AM and walking the big loop starting on the North side (~12-13 miles). You can join me if you want. I like company. Unfortunately I have minimal internet access. I am curently at the new Port Richey library. Thus, I will not be able to check later today to see if anyone wants to join me. So, if you want to join me, but there around 7:00 - 7:30 AM.

I am really looking forward to this. I thoroughly enjoyed my day hike last year. Perhaps someday I can do a backpacking trip in this beautiful state.

Hike on, Orange Blazers!

BumpJumper
01-20-2009, 20:47
What Chen doesnt realize it that Florida freezing is different than NY freezing.:D

slow
01-21-2009, 21:35
Heading to Withlacoochee State Forest - Croom Tract tomorrow (Wednesday) for my annual day hike. It is going to be a chilly day (well maybe not too cold for a guy who left his NY house at -10F this past Saturday for the airport). I am parking at the West side of the tract near Croom Road (red mini van with FL handicapped plates - Mom's car). If anyone is out there, say hi to me (Chanango). I plan on starting around 7:00 - 7:30 AM and walking the big loop starting on the North side (~12-13 miles). You can join me if you want. I like company. Unfortunately I have minimal internet access. I am curently at the new Port Richey library. Thus, I will not be able to check later today to see if anyone wants to join me. So, if you want to join me, but there around 7:00 - 7:30 AM.

I am really looking forward to this. I thoroughly enjoyed my day hike last year. Perhaps someday I can do a backpacking trip in this beautiful state.

Hike on, Orange Blazers!

Hope you had a great walk,and your mom is fine.:)

Chenango
01-22-2009, 14:30
It was 28 degrees the day of my hike. Started with gloves and a fleece. Ended up with a long sleeve shirt and my blue flowered hiking shirt! I love that shirt. My kids say I look like a dork, but what do they know?

I saw lots of deer. I spooked one of the lager herds that I have ever seen. There must have been between 15 and 20 deer that took of all in directions.

Great sunny day. I really like hiking in Florida. Next year I might try the Citrus tract.

On President's weekdn in Feb I plan on doing a day trip up Stratton Mtn in Vermont. I will need snowshoes. What a contrast!

BTW, folks, if I cannot find another job within P&G by next year, I might be on for a through hike in 2010! Maybe. Wouldn't that be cool!! I would take the early retirment package and head out. The way the stock market is going, I will have to work for a coiple years when I get back. So, let's call it semi-retired. Not too shabby. Time will tell how this will work out. If so, I will probaly be doing some FT hiking in the next few years.

Thanks for the hiking reco, folks. I'll post some pictures when I get back to NY.

Chenango
01-22-2009, 14:32
Hope you had a great walk,and your mom is fine.:)

Slow, my Mom is doing fine. A bit lonely since my Dad passed away 2 years ago, but otherwise in good spirits. It is tough having to use a walker whever you go. It really makes me appreciate the blessing I have in being able to walk/hike.