PDA

View Full Version : new edition of the BMT guide ?

ednotmilkman
12-21-2008, 01:30
When and where might I order a new BMT guide book? Or what about gps tracks for my Delorme receiver from another techie hiker? I assume there are files of gps tracks that would work on any brand gps, although I've never tried using anyone else's.

I just found and downloaded Mr. Parkay's maps. They will help, but I sure can't see myself going too far and fast alone with just those and my gps with no trail track to follow. Considering going a section with Slo-go'en in April, so hoping to get set before then.

take-a-knee
12-21-2008, 11:25
SGT Rock is working on one. The BMTA has published one in the past, I don't know if it is currently available.

Skidsteer
12-21-2008, 18:53
When and where might I order a new BMT guide book? Or what about gps tracks for my Delorme receiver from another techie hiker? I assume there are files of gps tracks that would work on any brand gps, although I've never tried using anyone else's.

I just found and downloaded Mr. Parkay's maps. They will help, but I sure can't see myself going too far and fast alone with just those and my gps with no trail track to follow. Considering going a section with Slo-go'en in April, so hoping to get set before then.

Have you seen this one?

MOWGLI
12-22-2008, 22:35
It will be a while before a guide like Tim Homan's book is released for the whole trail. A newly revised databook is in the works. I think I have a GPS track for the whole trail. It's not perfect, but it may help. GA and the Smokies is the easiest place to navigate, although the Big Frog Wilderness can be a little sketchy if your navigation skills aren't up to par. The Tennessee section can be tough. Especially north of Sandy Gap along the stateline until Sledrunner Gap. Be sure to have the Nat Geo map with you in Tennessee.

PM me if you want more info.

Mr. Parkay
12-23-2008, 18:38

Hey ednotmilkman,

Here's a link to my gps track for the BMT (link (http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/8/25/2065958/BMTTrackredgmap.kml)) in .kml format. This is the the same data used to create the maps on my website, including the "Google Map". The gps track can be converted into other popular formats (such as .gpx, .log, .trk etc.) using gpsbabel (http://www.gpsbabel.org/). It should be possible to convert it into the same format that your GPS unit uses.

The track has about 12,000 data points... which might be to too large to import into your gps, without breaking it up... but if it works, it will be pretty nice. Of course, the GPS track isn't perfect, but it's a fair approximation of the trail.

Good luck!

--Mr. Parkay

ednotmilkman
01-02-2009, 00:33
Thanks guys,

just saved the tracks and will see how it goes importing it. I've got DeLorme Topo software and DeLorme pn-20 handheld gps.

ednotmilkman
01-11-2009, 01:13
Got the gpsbabel program to do its thing on the .kml file of tracks and it put it on my DeLorme map nicely. I can't get the program to do a route on it, but i'm happy with what it did do.

Thanks Mr. Parkay , Do you have other trail tracks available too ??

Mr. Parkay
01-11-2009, 12:30
Got the gpsbabel program to do its thing on the .kml file of tracks and it put it on my DeLorme map nicely.

Good to hear that you got the track working with Delorme to some extent.

Do you have other trail tracks available too ??

Yep... check out http://parkaymaps.110mb.com. I've got gps tracks (with varying degrees of accuracy) for the BMT, Pinhoti Trail, Bartram Trail, Long Trail (rough) and the Mountains to Sea Trail (Rough). I'm clearly obsessed with creating gps tracks.