PDA

View Full Version : New Years Outdoors

Frog
12-21-2008, 13:40
Are There A Lot Of You Out There That Do A New Years Trip Like Me And My Brother Do. We Have Been Doing One Since 1975

Cool AT Breeze
12-21-2008, 14:12
Springer New Years Eve.

Marta
12-21-2008, 16:36
Springer New Years Eve.

Agreed. It's a pilgrimmage.

Tinker
12-21-2008, 16:51
Nope, indoors. Church. I can't get them to go for a walk around the block on a nice day. Sometimes you have to sacrifice. ;)

Bulldawg
12-21-2008, 16:55
Springer New Years Eve.

Agreed. It's a pilgrimmage.

I was gonna do the Springer thing this year, but I found out I have to work the 31st. Got off yesterday at 5pm, don't go back until the 31st. Damn it all to hell, work, it isn't for a hiker!

Think Spring
12-21-2008, 17:00
Sure! Spent a wonderful New Years Eve atop Mt. Rogers with friends a few years ago after hiking a section. Try it if you haven't done it.:)

Mags
12-21-2008, 17:48
I am going skiing in Rocky Mtn National Park on New Year's Day. Should be a wonderful way to bring in the new year. A wide open meadow probably full of elk and two lakes with the Continental Divide as a backdrop.

Tinker
12-21-2008, 17:55
I am going skiing in Rocky Mtn National Park on New Year's Day. Should be a wonderful way to bring in the new year. A wide open meadow probably full of elk and two lakes with the Continental Divide as a backdrop.

Stop. STOP!!

You are making me SOOOOOOOOOOOO JEALOUS! ;) :D

Marta
12-21-2008, 18:00
I was gonna do the Springer thing this year, but I found out I have to work the 31st. Got off yesterday at 5pm, don't go back until the 31st. Damn it all to hell, work, it isn't for a hiker!

Bummer.

Jim Adams
12-21-2008, 20:18
Springer last year but not able to this year.
Camping every year since 1989.

geek

Dogwood
12-22-2008, 02:08
Buckskin Gulch and Paria River in southern Utah New Yrs. Eve. That's if, there R no flash floods or horrific snow storms, of course!

Mags
12-22-2008, 20:22
Stop. STOP!!

You are making me SOOOOOOOOOOOO JEALOUS! ;) :D

What? The Pawtuxet River is not scenic enough ???! :D

(Most my family is still in Warrick...(no second W is pronounced!) :) )

Uncle Tom
01-01-2009, 11:00
I's 2 above zero with the wind at 20- 30 mph, but I still think Auntie Mame and I will be heading out to do some local peak today. Of course we'll get the sauna fired up for when we get back. It's a good day for 2009 in Maine so far. I think I'll wear a Windstopper shell:sun for sure.

Tipi Walter
01-01-2009, 11:25
Little Mitten and I always try to do a New Years backpacking trip and we just got back from one yesterday. The first one she ever went on was in late December 2001 and she had no gear except the stuff I could scrounge up: a 1982 Lowe backpack, an old army feather bag, some thermal underwear, etc. It got down to 10 degrees on that trip and we went up the North Fork of the Citico with nine major creek crossings and wet boots/cold feet. All the fotogs show frozen waterfalls and ice. It was a great trip.

On our last trip we camped at 5000 feet on an open meadow and got walloped by a fierce windstorm which caved in her little tent. She loved it.

Mrs Baggins
01-01-2009, 11:32
Wouldn't I love to. Unfortunately as wife and mom and keeper of the house I have to take down all of the Christmas decorations, get the tree down, clean up the fallen needles, and set the house back to "normal." I do get some help but nonetheless it falls to me to crack the whip to get everything done so it's not all still here at Valentines! :(

Cookerhiker
01-04-2009, 12:43
My SO and I spent NY in NY. When we weren't inside at a Broadway musical and a Lincoln Center play or at the top of the Empire State Building (did all 3 of these things), we walked everywhere including through Central Park, my "wilderness" experience for the day.

Dogwood
01-04-2009, 13:48
Spent New Year's Eve camped in frozen Buckskin Gulch in southern Utah. Redrock sandstone cliffs towered 400 ft. all around me. The sky was so dark stars appeared so numerous and close that I could reach out and grab one. An occasional shooting star graced the sky. The only sounds I heard were from an owl celebrating the New Year by letting out the occasional series of hoots from far above, ice cracking as it expanded, and my own heart beating. I ate my Lousiana black beans and rice while nestled warm in my sleeping bag. No fireworks, dropping of silver balls, buffets, or drunkenesss. No sirens, bells, whistles, TVs, keyboards, or ringtones. I was uttrerly grateful for what I had and the experience of being there. Glorious!

hootyhoo
01-04-2009, 14:40
I like to get out as close to the new years as possible. Get the years hiking started as soon as possible. As far as waking up on the trail on News Years Day- that would be cool, but does not dictate my trip. I never really seem to have a plan - I just go when the opportunity arises and play it by ear.