PDA

View Full Version : Scotland in May 2009

Old Hillwalker
12-21-2008, 14:37
Am presently holding plane reservations R/T to Scotland from New England for the month of May. I have hiked there before, but only backpacked the West Highland Way (95mi) but have done lots of dayhiking the past ten years over there. This time I am planning on backpacking the 218 mile Cape Wrath Trail, and possibly the 180 mile Highland Cattle Drove trail.

My total budget for the trip including airfare is approximately $1500. Air fare was $582.22. Will be staying in my Tarptent, Scottish Youth Hostels, and B & Bs. Basecamp will be in Fort William near the base of Ben Nevis at the Hostel in Glen Nevis.

I'm hoping to recruit a couple of other similarly "aged" backpackers to join me.

May is the absolute best weather month for Western Scotland.

I Plan on being back for more AT sections from June on.

Mrs Baggins
12-21-2008, 15:24
Am presently holding plane reservations R/T to Scotland from New England for the month of May. I have hiked there before, but only backpacked the West Highland Way (95mi) but have done lots of dayhiking the past ten years over there. This time I am planning on backpacking the 218 mile Cape Wrath Trail, and possibly the 180 mile Highland Cattle Drove trail.

My total budget for the trip including airfare is approximately $1500. Air fare was $582.22. Will be staying in my Tarptent, Scottish Youth Hostels, and B & Bs. Basecamp will be in Fort William near the base of Ben Nevis at the Hostel in Glen Nevis.

I'm hoping to recruit a couple of other similarly "aged" backpackers to join me.

May is the absolute best weather month for Western Scotland.

I Plan on being back for more AT sections from June on.

Oh my oh my oh my. How I would love to join you! We were there in September for 2 weeks - not enough to time to do any long trail since it was our first trip over and we wanted to see as much of Scotland as possible (rented a car). We did find a trail head to the West Highland Way out of Glen Coe and hiked up the hill aways. Big rain was coming across the Glen and we weren't dressed for it so we had to come back down to the car. :( We did do the trail into Glen Nevis Gorge from the first parking lot way down the road (between the visitor center and the lower falls.). Half the actual trail was more like a stream but overall the day was gorgeous and it was fabulous hike. Considered doing Ben Nevis but decided we didn't come with what we thought was the right gear and as it turned out the whole upper half of the mountain was in cloud cover about the time we would have been up there. So we took the gondola up the side of the range, the clouds cleared for the most part and it was gorgeous.

Jack Tarlin
12-21-2008, 15:55
You should also get in touch with Ray (WalkinHome) who posts here. He knows the area and could give you all sorts of ideas on places to go and things to see.