PDA

View Full Version : Nice day to play in the snow!

Slo-go'en
12-21-2008, 18:07
Time to go out and play in the snow:banana

10* out, snowing moderately, no wind and 2+ feet already on the ground, conditions couldn't be better for a little snowshoeing. So, went out and did about 3 miles on the old RR bed behind me, now used as a snowmobile connector through town. It hasn't been groomed yet, but a couple of snowmobiles were on it to pack down the path for me.

The first time I went snowshoeing last winter, I somehow messed up my left knee and couldn't go out again all winter :mad: Will need to be more carefull this year.

Anyone thinking going hiking anywhere in New England in this holiday season better pack snow shoes!

4eyedbuzzard
12-21-2008, 18:20
Yep, we got 2 feet of powder that even Utah would be proud of here in Monroe, NH. The ski resorts are having some great deals too. Good year to be a local and get some discount skiing(both XC and downhill) in.

superman
12-21-2008, 18:29
I just got in from snow blowing the driveway and the paths. I wasted my day re-wiring the dining room, that was on my to-do list for a long time. The rail trail runs right across the road from this old house. I didn't see a single snowmobile go by today. If they leave it alone enough I'll cross country ski to get my mail tomorrow. I have no hiking plans at this time.:)

woodsy
12-21-2008, 18:39
Its amazing how acclimated to the cold one can become as the winter progresses.
Went out in the woods for about an hour this afternoon in heavy snow and 0* temps
came back in to what felt like a blast furnace (70*)looking like the abominable snowman,
could have stayed out all day despite the conditions....

buckwheat
12-21-2008, 18:40
18" of 24-carat pure .... I've been shovelling for the past 27 hours.

Great exercise!

peanuts
12-21-2008, 19:51
i am envious of all of you:mad: send some to georgia....

Tinker
12-21-2008, 20:09
I almost bought a house in Berlin back in the 1980s. Wife didn't like the smell of the air. :D
Great location. Town is visible from the Imp Shelter area.

Lone Wolf
12-21-2008, 20:24
plenty of snow in northern vermont http://www.jaypeakresort.com/en/jay_peak/

4eyedbuzzard
12-21-2008, 20:25
i am envious of all of you:mad: send some to georgia....

Here ya go:
Two days worth and still coming down hard.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/2/2/7/snow.jpg

peanuts
12-21-2008, 20:35
Here ya go:
Two days worth and still coming down hard.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/2/2/7/snow.jpg
i really miss the winters since i left chicago. thanks 4eb!

4eyedbuzzard
12-21-2008, 20:36
You're welcome. And I think my camera's date setting is off...:-?

Toolshed
12-21-2008, 20:41
Someone's gonna have a cold wet ass in those chairs........ ;)

peanuts
12-21-2008, 20:45
i just made the pic my desk saver!!:sun

4eyedbuzzard
12-21-2008, 20:45
We can't keep up with it. Shoveled a foot+ this am and grilled some steaks for brunch in a white out. The deck was clear and it's a foot+ deep out there again. Supposed to get high winds later, maybe it'll blow off(it's pure powder) the roof so I don't have to rake it.

Marta
12-21-2008, 21:20
You're welcome. And I think my camera's date setting is off...:-?

I was thinking you'd gotten ahead of yourself.:D

Kerosene
12-21-2008, 21:36
I was in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho on Wednesday/Thursday when it dumped 22" of dry powder on the town. Unfortunately I had to sit inside all day at a strategic planning meeting. I was able to fly back to southern Michigan on Friday morning (after waiting 90 minutes to clear the snow from the plane and de-ice), only to find 12" of new snow on the ground. A foot of snow looks a lot less impressive than 22"!

Slo-go'en
12-21-2008, 21:44
I almost bought a house in Berlin back in the 1980s. Wife didn't like the smell of the air. :D
Great location. Town is visible from the Imp Shelter area.

The air is fine now, the paper mill is history, along with the local economy.

Well, this is shaping up to be one hack of a snow storm. I can no longer see my car, it's just one big snow pile. And its not over yet. Can't wait to see the drifts after the wind picks up tomorrow!

Chenango
12-21-2008, 22:10
I spent the afternoon digging out and raking the roof. Oh, it is great having my son home from college. I put the boy to work. Also, I put a little salt up on the eaves for good measure. I already had one ice dam this year that leaked into the kitchen.

The wind is picking up now. Beautiful weather ... seriously. I just like being outside.

superman
12-21-2008, 22:32
The air is fine now, the paper mill is history, along with the local economy.

Well, this is shaping up to be one hack of a snow storm. I can no longer see my car, it's just one big snow pile. And its not over yet. Can't wait to see the drifts after the wind picks up tomorrow!

Didn't you get a new prison as your growth industry?
I almost bought a house on top of the hill with a great view of the mountains. There was that smell... I'm close enough to day hike over there from here.
Yeah, I'm thinking it's winter.:)

Blissful
12-21-2008, 23:18
We'll be up north late this week to enjoy the snow and hubby plans to go skiing in NH.

At least the sun finally came out here, haven't seen it in a week.

slow
12-21-2008, 23:19
Played 18 holes today in shorts.:D

Slo-go'en
12-21-2008, 23:20
Didn't you get a new prison as your growth industry?

Yes, two of them. State pen's been here a few years, new federal pen under construction. That one can be seen for miles along the Mahoosuc ridge line. Bit of an eye sore.

4eyedbuzzard
12-21-2008, 23:20
Played 18 holes today in shorts.:D

Cruel. Very cruel...:mad:

slow
12-21-2008, 23:29
Cruel. Very cruel...:mad:

I'm only kidding.Not seen the stuff in 30yrs.:)

mudcap
12-21-2008, 23:40
We have about 24 "s of fresh powder here in NNY. Driving is not good,but snowshoeing is awesome. I wish the rivers/ponds/lakes would have had a chance to freeze before the insulation fell,now the ice conditions are not good. Ice fishing will have to wait.

TrippinBTM
12-21-2008, 23:57
I spent the afternoon digging out and raking the roof. Oh, it is great having my son home from college. I put the boy to work. Also, I put a little salt up on the eaves for good measure. I already had one ice dam this year that leaked into the kitchen.

The wind is picking up now. Beautiful weather ... seriously. I just like being outside.

Yeah, everyone around me is complaining, but I went out today and loved it. Yesterday i went up to this tiny postage stamp of a nature preserve around here, and it was great. The woods look good and are fun to be in no matter that it's cold and snowy; only cities are boring in the winter (IMO).

I admit I'm not a huge fan of the cold, but it's alright. As said, you do acclimate. I'd like it better if there was some real woods, trails, mtns to do some winter rambling in. As I said, winter in a metropolis is terrible, I have cabin fever already.

TrippinBTM
12-22-2008, 00:00
whoops... that second sentence in the second paragraph should read "As woodsy said..."

mudhead
12-22-2008, 06:27
mommy!

superman
12-22-2008, 08:52
It's 11 degrees and another fun day of snow blowing. The blower on my wood stove hums as it keeps the house comfy warm. Bears hibernate because they don't have to go out to snow blow their driveway.:)

Lone Wolf
12-22-2008, 08:55
it's 6 deg. in damascus

warraghiyagey
12-22-2008, 08:58
It's colder than a witch's beaver here. . .

rlharris
12-22-2008, 11:46
Along the Ammonoosuc River (upper Connecticut River Valley), I have less snow than when I went to bed last night although the snow continued to fall into the wee hours of the morning.

The temperatures during the day yesterday were in the single digits then rose overnight into the upper teens around midnight. That increase in temperature prompted the snow pack to settle and for the snow that continued to fall to be wetter.

That being said, there was enough of the white stuff to keep the snowblower occupied for nearly two hours clearing the drive. I hope to get out in the next day or two and break snowshoe trails in my woods. It sure is beautiful outside today.

woodsy
12-22-2008, 11:51
I hope to get out in the next day or two and break snowshoe trails in my woods. It sure is beautiful outside today.
Make sure you wear a hardhat and bring a friend :p

stumpknocker
12-22-2008, 19:09
I've been out playing in the snow up here in VT. Here's a picture taken today, of a small trail bridge on the AT just north of Little Rock Pond; http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=409044

It got up to 10 degrees on the Trail today. :)