PDA

View Full Version : Montbell jacket decisions

.5step
12-21-2008, 18:15
I'm looking at purchasing a Montbell down jacket (my birthday present to myself) for my thru-hike this March and am having trouble deciding b/w a few. I've looked at the specs, searched for reviews, read posts on here...and I'm still having trouble differentiating b/w them.

I'm leaning towards the U.L. Down jacket and the U.L. Down parka, but the Alpine looks nice as well.

From what I can tell, the Alpine is a little tougher, and a bit more wind resistant, while the parka and jacket are lighter and smaller.

Maybe there's something I'm missing? What do you all think? I've included the specs below.

Down Innter Jacket:

High quality 800 fill power hypoallergenic goose down
15-denier Ballistic Airlight (http://www.montbell.us/products/techinfo/techsys/material/material21.html) hollow fiber calendered nylon shell
xx-large (CHBK only)
Compresses :φ4.0" x 6.7" (stuff sack included)
Weight (size med):6.9 oz.
Fill Weight:2.0 oz.

Down Inner Parka

15-denier Ballistic Airlight (http://www.montbell.us/products/techinfo/techsys/material/material21.html) hollow fiber calendered nylon shell
Compresses :φ4.5" x 5.6" (stuff sack included)
Weight (size med):7.4 oz.
Fill Weight:2.1 oz.

Alpine

30-denier Ballistic (http://www.montbell.us/products/techinfo/techsys/material/material20.html) rip-stop nylon shell
30-denier Ballistic (http://www.montbell.us/products/techinfo/techsys/material/material20.html) nylon taffeta lining
Compresses :φ5.2" x 10" (stuff sack included)
Weight (size med):11.3 oz.
Fill Weight:4.0 oz.

Stir Fry
12-21-2008, 18:34
I have the jacket, and combined with a base layer, and a mid layer I have been out in 15* weather just sitting around and felt fine. I think you will be fine with any one that you chose to get.

Quoddy
12-21-2008, 18:47
I have the Down Inner Parka and it is nearly perfect. So very, very light, warm, and the Large fits me great (6'1" 187# 42" chest)... BUT the hood has no way to adjust (tighten), so it doesn't fit snugly against my head and face.

Kerosene
12-21-2008, 21:34
Go with the Inner Jacket. You'll need to have something else for your head anyway (namely a skullcap and/or lightweight balaclava), so unless you're planning to get down below zero I would go with just the jacket.

If you think you'll really need a hood, then check out this synthetic insulation balaclava (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/cocoon_pro_90_balaclava.html)weighing in at 2.0 ounces.

saimyoji
12-21-2008, 21:46
Go with the Inner Jacket. You'll need to have something else for your head anyway (namely a skullcap and/or lightweight balaclava), so unless you're planning to get down below zero I would go with just the jacket.

If you think you'll really need a hood, then check out this synthetic insulation balaclava (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/cocoon_pro_90_balaclava.html)weighing in at 2.0 ounces.

holy ****....$70 for ****ing hood??? :eek:

ChinMusic
12-21-2008, 22:40
I LOVE 800 down. That said I went with the Ul.Thermawrap Parka for wearing in camp.

Maybe I made a mistake but this was my thinking.

The sythetic material keeps most of its warmth if wet. Not that I plan on getting my parka wet but I like the idea of it having some warmth IF it does get wet. If I knew that my parka would never get wet I would have gotten the down version.

ChinMusic
12-21-2008, 22:43
holy ****....$70 for ****ing hood??? :eek:
You think THAT is bad. This baby is on my list for winter sleeping.

http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/garments/balaclava.htm

http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/images/garments/balaclava.jpg

buz
12-22-2008, 10:30
I am 6' 170#, longer than average arms, and just FWIW, i tried on these jackets a coupla weekends ago, at a very nice outdoors shop. The mediums were too small, large perfect, arm length and torso wise. What kind depends on how much warmth you are looking for. To me, using the jacket for inactive non hiking periods, I would tend towards the Alpine series, because it seemed truly warm, as opposed to the UL, which seemed not very thick, but I have never owned them or used them outside of the store, lol.

I agree with the hood comment, it appeared very well built and fit perfectly over my lite fleece hat, but why the hell no draw string? Would be way warmer if you could cinch it up. But again, if i was buying for warmth usage, I would personally lean to the parka, for the hood, because it keeps me warmer than just a hat, no doubt. hope this helps, and they are very well made, no doubt.

kanga
12-22-2008, 12:59
got the ul jacket and absolutely adore it. hood didn't snug up on the parka, so why spend the extra money? it seemed like more of a hassle that a bonus to me.
take a shell to put over it to cut the wind - i just use my rain jacket. down into the teens with that and a baselayer and was fine.

Johnny Thunder
12-22-2008, 14:36
If it was my choice to make I'd by the Alpine Parka. For 15 or 20 more than the down inner jacket it is infinitely warmer. I mean, when was the last time you made a mistake and bought a jacket that was "too warm."

Like...

"Ugghhh. This jacket is too warm. I can't even zip it up without sweating" (your friends watch and shiver)

I bought a Thermawrap for my thru this past year...it was good...and I bought it based solely on specs. It was the lightest jacket so It must be the best, right? Wrong! Seriously, 4 ounces difference is NOTHING. You'll never notice it. When have you ever put your pack on and thought "Man, this pack is exactly one half pound too heavy."?

Do yourself a favor and buy the warm jacket.

ChinMusic
12-22-2008, 15:45
Given the choices, I agree with JT. Get the Alpine. It's an easy call for me. That 4 oz of fill will be sweet.

Make sure your rain jacket/poncho is large enough to fit over it without compressing it too much.

Arizona
12-22-2008, 19:41
I have the down inner jacket. I got it on sale during the summer for $99. It is not very warm. It feels as warm as wearing a sweater or a sweatshirt. Also, the quilts are sewn through so you get cold spots. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have purchased it. I got suckered in by the very low weight.

River Runner
12-29-2008, 23:13
I love the down Inner Parka. The Alpine Jacket is undoubtedly warmer, but if you want one jacket for the whole thru, go with the Inner Parka and extra layers for the colder months. Or buy both, use the Alpine in the colder months and the Inner Parka in the warmer ones.

I've been comfortable with a light long sleeve wool shirt and the Inner Parka down close to freezing.

The lack of a drawstring on the hood has not been a problem for me, because it is so well articulated to fit the head. I rather enjoy not having a tight drawstring around my face, and it's always stayed in place well and been plenty warm enough for me. I do always carry a light fleece hat in addition, because I don't hike in the parka, but will hike in a hat in colder weather.

alalskaman
12-30-2008, 02:44
I have the alpine jacket, a thermawrap jacket, and a thermawrap parka, and lik and use them all. For me, the alpine is way too warm for any sort of walking, even in subzero temps. It rules, though, when you are not so active and need serious loft and warmth. The thermawrap jacket, with a neck gaiter and warm hat, is fine for walking down to a bit below freezing, depending on wind and exposure. The thermawrap parka with a hood and a bit more filling, is fine down to the teens, for walking at least.

.5step
12-30-2008, 02:54
Thanks for all the thoughts and advice!

I'm going to order the Alpine Parka as soon as it comes back in stock. I think I'll be fine in the warmer months (but when it can still get chilly) with my baselayers, R1, and my windshirt, and fleece hat.

And if I hit some freaky warm weather in the mountains at least I'll have a kickass pillow.