PDA

View Full Version : That "eww" gift you might get..........

Mrs Baggins
12-21-2008, 19:37
Every year we get a box of food from Swiss Colony from friends for Christmas. Usually it's a collection of food that we look at and say "ewww" and try to get rid of. This year the box had some things in it we'd actually eat! Among them is a box of small sausages - the little sizes that would be perfect for us to carry on the trail. This stuff pretty much has a half-life and is not going to spoil between now and summer. There were also some hard candies, nuts, and chocolates that would last for months. So if you get one of these gift boxes put the food aside for furture hikes! :D

4eyedbuzzard
12-21-2008, 19:42
Speaking of Ewww...CHEESEBALLS!!!:eek: I hate those things...

I like sending(and receiving) some fruit like pears from Harry and David(with some chocolate moose munch too), or something special or different. We haven't had time to bake and send out homemade stuff the past few years, but that was always a favorite at either end as well. Most gift stuff that's sealed keeps well and makes good gorp or snacks--they start making the stuff in July for Holiday delivery!

sheepdog
12-21-2008, 19:42
What about fruit cake? Even the hungriest hikers won't try to yogi it from you.

Mrs Baggins
12-21-2008, 19:46

Yeah, there was a small biscotti sized fruit cake in the box - that will go away and we'll just pretend we never saw that...........:eek:

Mrs Baggins
12-21-2008, 19:47
Speaking of Ewww...CHEESEBALLS!!!:eek: I hate those things...

I like sending(and receiving) some fruit like pears from Harry and David(with some chocolate moose munch too), or something special or different. We haven't had time to bake and send out homemade stuff the past few years, but that was always a favorite at either end as well.

I make world class fudge that I give away.........some with walnuts, some without.

sheepdog
12-21-2008, 19:49
I make world class fudge that I give away.........some with walnuts, some without.
I'd like one of each please.

4eyedbuzzard
12-21-2008, 19:56
Mmmmm. Fudge

In the middle of the kitchen table sits gift foods for this year we've just received over the past week: Apples, pears, apple pie, chocolate chip pecan cookies, 3 different flavors of moose munch(popcornwith choc or toffee coating), fudge, some Godiva, Balis, and Ghirardelli chocolates, mostly truffles...

Mmmm truffles...and fudge.

I'm gonna be fat by Christmas.

Tinker
12-21-2008, 19:56
http://www.claxtonfruitcake.com/products.php?category_id=13

Recommended to many hikers my age by the late Ed Garvey (The one they named the shelter after).
I bought some on a road trip to Florida to visit my sister a few years ago. They are actually quite good. :)

Cuffs
12-21-2008, 20:00

What makes it world class? And if its that good, why arent you marketing it?

fiddlehead
12-21-2008, 20:11
I'm gettin hungry reading this thread. Especially after being up all night watching football. (back in Thailand as of yesterday)
I certainly won't complain about the Kai Tum my wife is making me for breakfast.

Mrs Baggins
12-21-2008, 20:12
What makes it world class? And if its that good, why arent you marketing it?

' Cause I have no idea how to market anything. I also make the worlds best spaghetti sauce and the worlds best potato salad. My fudge is made with marshmallow cream but I don't follow the recipe on the jar exactly........I have my own way to do things............:D

Skidsteer
12-21-2008, 20:17
' Cause I have no idea how to market anything. I also make the worlds best spaghetti sauce and the worlds best potato salad. My fudge is made with marshmallow cream but I don't follow the recipe on the jar exactly........I have my own way to do things............:D

I think you should send some fudge to the WB mod team. You know-for testing purposes.

Mrs Baggins
12-21-2008, 20:21
I think you should send some fudge to the WB mod team. You know-for testing purposes.

Gimme the address sweetheart................

Frau
12-21-2008, 22:10
One of the few recipes I neglected to get from my mom before she passed was her fudge recipe. It used Hippolyte (marshmallow cream) and was NEVER gritty or grainy. Any fudge I have made has had that graininess I don't like.:o

Other missing recipes: her Harvard Beets and Stewed Tomatoes.

Happy Christmahannukwaanzaka to all!

Frau

sarbar
12-21-2008, 22:30
I make fudge for winter trips - I have a number of recipes I choose from. All are tast-y!

Cuffs
12-21-2008, 22:40
I also make the worlds best spaghetti sauce and the worlds best potato salad.

Thats subjective...

Deadeye
12-21-2008, 22:50
I love fruitcake! Send me yours!:banana

squirrel bait
12-21-2008, 22:52
I make the world's best potato salad, warm or cold, in the area of twenty pounds a week. ;) Depending on how much of a purist you are in the area of fudge, a non grainy, smooth as silk fudge can be made with (please don't yell at me) Velvetta. Two pounds Velvetta, pound of butter, pound of powdered sugar, cup of coccoa, two tablespoons vanilla. Something like that. The food gift that I hate getting, any kind of nuts, I'm not supposed to eat them anymore. And I love peanuts, cashews, almonds, walnuts, you get the idea. Merry Christmas WB people.

warraghiyagey
12-21-2008, 23:17
Every year we get a box of food from Swiss Colony from friends for Christmas. Usually it's a collection of food that we look at and say "ewww" and try to get rid of. This year the box had some things in it we'd actually eat! Among them is a box of small sausages - the little sizes that would be perfect for us to carry on the trail. This stuff pretty much has a half-life and is not going to spoil between now and summer. There were also some hard candies, nuts, and chocolates that would last for months. So if you get one of these gift boxes put the food aside for furture hikes! :D

i hope you meant to say "shelf-life" and in no way are implying this stuff is radioactive - hope you enjoy the small sausages.:sun:sun

Blissful
12-21-2008, 23:27
I got a snowman full of these sweet treats and a Omaha steak order from my sister and my parents. Nothing for the trail this year....

Slo-go'en
12-21-2008, 23:28
I love fruitcake! Send me yours!:banana

Me too! Fruit cake is great hiker food!

Wise Old Owl
12-22-2008, 01:41
Here in Pa we are just around the corner from amish country and the Cheeses, and Jeagers are awesome to hike with. I have nothing against Swiss Colony, they make a good product and were just featured on the Food Channel for their successes.

optimator
12-22-2008, 04:55
[quote=4eyedbuzzard;743555]Speaking of Ewww...CHEESEBALLS!!!:eek: I hate those things...

I like sending(and receiving) some fruit like pears from Harry and David(with some chocolate moose munch too), or something special or different.

I live in the same town that the Harry & David plant is in. Kinda cool hearing someone from across the country talking about it. And yeah, Moose Munch rules! I'm gonna go get some tomorrow.......:banana

optimator
12-22-2008, 04:56
Wow, I hosed that quote :eek:

Frau
12-22-2008, 07:50
Velveeta Fudge--a possible new taste sensation! I will try this.

My big plan is to try 4 or five of the persimmon recipes I have. I have quite a big of pulp in the freezer already and am going to get more persimmons this afternoon.

Fruitcake--the best I ever had used only cherries, raisins and pecans for fruit/nuts, and was soaked in bourbon. Mmmmmm...

Frau

Tinker
12-22-2008, 08:53
One of the few recipes I neglected to get from my mom before she passed was her fudge recipe. It used Hippolyte (marshmallow cream) and was NEVER gritty or grainy. Any fudge I have made has had that graininess I don't like.:o

Other missing recipes: her Harvard Beets and Stewed Tomatoes.

Happy Christmahannukwaanzaka to all!

Frau

HIPPOLYTE. Sounds GREAT for the waistline :D!
Also: Isn't that an oxymoron, like "jumbo shrimp" :-??

yappy
12-22-2008, 09:30
fruit cake is plain gross. What IS that stuff anyway...my Dad send stuff from Zingermens... it is very GOOD...but $$. there was a guy in 05 that worked there and had thier candy bars.. oh man, YUM.

mrs. Baggins I like fudge too !!!.. and would come to your house for a spaghetti any time..:)

Fiddlehead, the Steelers stunk yesterday ! They did'nt show it here but I watched on puter.. sorta.. Rats !

boarstone
12-22-2008, 09:55
I like to send "Care Packages" from my home state of Maine to family that are in other states....blueberry everything...syrup, can of the berries, pancakes...maple syrup....and my own made beef jerky...never had a bad response yet!

Mrs Baggins
12-22-2008, 09:59
Thats subjective...

As they used to say on the old TV series "Guns of Will Sonnet" - -

"No Brag. Just Fact." :D

Lyle
12-22-2008, 10:34
Here in Pa we are just around the corner from amish country and the Cheeses, and Jeagers are awesome to hike with. I have nothing against Swiss Colony, they make a good product and were just featured on the Food Channel for their successes.

My vote is for Michigan State University Dairy Store cheese. Smoked Cheddar, Colby, Chocolate (with or without nuts) - MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm!

Made on campus from milk obtained from cows raised on campus. Love a university with an agricultural heritage.

kanga
12-22-2008, 14:28
Velveeta Fudge--a possible new taste sensation! I will try this.

My big plan is to try 4 or five of the persimmon recipes I have. I have quite a big of pulp in the freezer already and am going to get more persimmons this afternoon.

Fruitcake--the best I ever had used only cherries, raisins and pecans for fruit/nuts, and was soaked in bourbon. Mmmmmm...

Frau

i'm kinda scared to ask, but i'm going to go ahead anyway. how did that do you?

MOWGLI
12-22-2008, 14:38

Frau

Please send along a persimmons recipe. I have a tree loaded with 'em in my front yard.

Cuffs
12-22-2008, 15:40
"No Brag. Just Fact." :D

Data, facts and figures to prove please?

Blissful
12-22-2008, 15:46
I make a great cake out of a can.....

Tomato soup cake that is.

theinfamousj
12-22-2008, 17:48
From my brother, with love. (See picture.) I don't even want to taste it.

mudhead
12-22-2008, 18:01
.my Dad send stuff from Zingermens... it is very GOOD...but $$.

Steelers stunk

I got Zingermens one year. It was very good. but $$$.

Need to work on your verbs. u meant i. How bout them Patriots. Yeehaw!

Mags
12-22-2008, 20:34

...unless it is my grandmother's. . In the past, she has baked an edible, moist and DELICIOUS fruit cake. Seriously.

But Italian Grandma's have magical cooking/baking powers anyway... :sun

'. I also make the worlds best spaghetti sauce

It can't be..otherwise you'd know better and call it gravy... :D
http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2007/aug/21/no-headline---22fgra/

Wise Old Owl
12-22-2008, 20:37
my Vote Is For Michigan State University Dairy Store Cheese. Smoked Cheddar, Colby, Chocolate (with Or Without Nuts) - Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Made On Campus From Milk Obtained From Cows Raised On Campus. Love A University With An Agricultural Heritage.

Having Lived In Chicago - Awesome!

ki0eh
12-22-2008, 21:46
I came away from Saturday's hike with... 3 lb of Wilbur Buds. Perhaps a record for negative calorie burn on a hike. :)

Camping Dave
12-22-2008, 23:49
Bad fruitcake is awful. Great fruitcake is fantastic!

I love this stuff:

http://www.monasteryfruitcake.org/products.asp

My kids eat it. Try the fraters: slices of the world's best fruitcake smothered in dark chocolate. Thanks for reminding me what great hiking food these are! Now I'm looking forward even more to my hike next week.

camojack
12-23-2008, 01:36
No, no, no. I, Jack of the Camo, make the World's Best Potato Salad™. So there... :rolleyes:

Jack Tarlin
12-23-2008, 16:51
Not sure what I want for Christmas, but here's something I don't:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,469724,00.html

Mrs Baggins
12-23-2008, 16:56
No, no, no. I, Jack of the Camo, make the World's Best Potato Salad™. So there... :rolleyes:

Maybe some day we'll meet and have a potato salad throw down! :D

Alligator
12-23-2008, 17:00
Not sure what I want for Christmas, but here's something I don't:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,469724,00.htmlWe tattooed our cat.

Alligator
12-23-2008, 17:01
We tattooed our cat.In case he gets lost;).

Mags
12-23-2008, 17:02
Goth Kitty?

Could be a name for a music group...

Toolshed
12-23-2008, 17:28
Who doesn't like a bad kitty with a little twist???? ;)

Frau
12-24-2008, 09:07
Persimmons--'round these parts they are no good until they hit the ground. We finally found 3 trees which had not dropped their fruit yet on state property. I have been gathering diligently for two weeks. Then, I put them thru the food mill, which is a hassle, but the only way to get pulp only.

Recipes-- <allrecipes.com> They have their Top 20 which include puddings, cakes, breads and cookies (excellent with cream cheese icing!). Epicurious.com has a Persimmon Fool recipe that sounds enticing.

Foods--The wild food sausages offered by Cabela's have piqued my curiosity. Christmas seems like a good time to get some for a gift;).

Kitties-- I am aghast!

Frau (heading to the food mill right now)

Two Speed
12-24-2008, 09:39

Maybe some day we'll meet and have a potato salad throw down! :D
:banana Food Fight! :banana

sherrill
12-24-2008, 10:12
http://www.southernsupreme.com/

This "fruitcake" you will eat.

I was a non believer until I went there and tried it.

Froggy
12-24-2008, 11:18
There have been a few brags so far on this thread, but not a single recipe. I can't believe it!

Froggy
12-24-2008, 11:22
My parents used to send me a fruitcake every year from some company. Every year I'd call 'em up and say thanks. They'd ask if I liked it, and I'd say no and ask them not to send it any more. They'd promise.

This happened for many years. Finally they got my name off the list and life improved.

After they passed on, we came across their fruit cake list and in their memory sent out one last round of fruit cakes. Have to admit that while I miss my parents, I don't miss those fruit cakes!

Mrs Baggins
12-24-2008, 11:41
There have been a few brags so far on this thread, but not a single recipe. I can't believe it!

And give away the secrets? :eek: Not a chance! :D

We have friends in Fairbanks Alaska that do a lot of fishing every year. They smoke most of the catch and seal it. But sometimes it's not smoked enough... One year they sent us some for Christmas... by regular mail. We had those cluster mailboxes on the street and when I walked up to get the mail I could smell something.......I can't imagine what the mailman thought when he had to deliver that. I thanked our friends for their thoughtfulness and explained that the fish was spoiled and we couldn't eat it. So.......the next year they sent it by Fedex.......and the Fedex driver laid the package under the front door mat. We rarely used the front door so it laid there for a few days before I found it. We were living in the south and it was warm out at Christmas. I had to put a stop to the fish gifts after that.

yappy
12-24-2008, 11:51
lol..Mrs B. That is 1 thing we do well is fish.. at least Brad does. We go every year. I spend my time hiking the fish out to the car and making sure the dogs don't go in the ripping river . he always says " don't tell the guys you pack it out "... haha. I LOVE doing that. The King salmon.. man oh man.. sweet.

Slo-go'en
12-24-2008, 12:41
German Stollen is a good alternative to fruit cake - similer, but bread based. Google for about a 1000 recipes. My mom used to make stollens for Chirstmas. Your suppost to make them a month before Chirstmas and let them age, but ours never lasted more than an hour out of the oven.

Mags
12-24-2008, 14:56
HEre's a recipe. Something simple, yummy and delicious. Good for post meal with the dark coffee.

We called 'em wine biscuits.

Ingredients
4 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup red wine
1 cup oil
1 egg, lightly beaten

1.Mix together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl
2.Make well in center, pour in wine and oil
3.Mix to blend and form dough. Let stand in ball for 10 minutes
4.Break off pieces and roll into hands to form rolls about size of your thumb
5.Coil onto greased cookie sheet, making center of coil slightly higher than outer edges
6.Brush with egg.
7.Bake in pre-heated oven until browned for 15-20 minutes

And with a little googling, I found this recipe similar to Grandma's fruitcake. Panforte in Italian..

http://www.recipetips.com/recipe-cards/t--2236/panforte-italian-fruitcake.asp

Dad's promised to send me the recipe for her's. :)

Much as I like to share the outdoors, I love to share cooking knowledge, too. :)

mudhead
12-24-2008, 16:39
German Stollen is a good alternative to fruit cake - similer, but bread based. Google for about a 1000 recipes. My mom used to make stollens for Chirstmas. Your suppost to make them a month before Chirstmas and let them age, but ours never lasted more than an hour out of the oven.

Same. Quite good, but make more than one at a time.

charlie2008
12-26-2008, 01:30
-
Piss on a rope and suck on the wet end, sounds like a challenge to me.:eek:
-
soak overnight 4 cups dried fruit combo: Use what u like.
craisins
blonde raisins
black raisins
dried apricots
dried dates
I cheat and use:
regular old Star Marichino cherries, juice and all
fill your measure to four cups with fruit and cover with spiced rum.
-
Start out with 2 spice cake mixes.
add 1 1/4 cup spiced rum
add 1/2 cup amaretto
add 1 cup water
add 2/3 cup veggie oil
add 4 eggs
add 1 cup applesauce
add 2 tablespoons dark molasses
add 1 stick melted butter
add 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
add your fruit combo from above at this point rum and all and
last but not least 2 cups pecans
-
spoon into 5 disposable 9x5 loaf pans and bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes, rotate pans and bake for an additional 45 minutes, remove from pans and allow to cool completely, then returm to pans and sprinkle loafs with additional spiced rum or amaretto to your liking for a couple days before wrapping and freezing 4 of the 5 loafs for a couple months in the freezer. I usually eat the first loaf as a reward for the best rum cake recipe that I know of to date. These are moist and tasty and should qualify as a fruitcake.........sorta

Farr Away
01-03-2009, 01:07
-
soak overnight 4 cups dried fruit combo: Use what u like.
craisins
blonde raisins
black raisins
dried apricots
dried dates
I cheat and use:
regular old Star Marichino cherries, juice and all
fill your measure to four cups with fruit and cover with spiced rum.
-
Start out with 2 spice cake mixes.
add 1 1/4 cup spiced rum
add 1/2 cup amaretto
add 1 cup water
add 2/3 cup veggie oil
add 4 eggs
add 1 cup applesauce
add 2 tablespoons dark molasses
add 1 stick melted butter
add 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
add your fruit combo from above at this point rum and all and
last but not least 2 cups pecans
-
spoon into 5 disposable 9x5 loaf pans and bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes, rotate pans and bake for an additional 45 minutes, remove from pans and allow to cool completely, then returm to pans and sprinkle loafs with additional spiced rum or amaretto to your liking for a couple days before wrapping and freezing 4 of the 5 loafs for a couple months in the freezer. I usually eat the first loaf as a reward for the best rum cake recipe that I know of to date. These are moist and tasty and should qualify as a fruitcake.........sorta

Tried this - turned out _very_ good! Thanks for the recipe!!

I used 3 kinds of raisins, craisins, and dried apricots; just spiced rum - no amaretto; cut the brown sugar to 1/2 cup; and no pecans - my husband doesn't like nuts. I also couldn't find the 9x5 pans, so used 6 of the smaller 8x3 3/4 pans.

When I make this again, I'm going to leave out the water. It already had a lot more liquid than the cake mixes called for.

I'm bringing two of these to SoRuck...

Frau
01-03-2009, 10:04
The only BEST I make is my chili. I will put my Hot German Potato Salad up in any competition though, complete with a slight change--ramps instead of onion!

Found a cornbread mix in Robbinsville this weekend--Ramp Cornbread Mix. I am making that this afternoon. Nessmuk keeps up well supplied with ramp powder. Creamed Morels (from dehydrated are on the menu, too.

AND as far as Harry and David go--their Onion Pepper Relish is da BOMB. I bought a case of it several years ago when at one of their stores in Potomac Mills.

Frau

Worldwide
01-03-2009, 10:09
I remember on a deployment in Haiti my holiday meal was an MRE, a fresh apple and some variation of bread pudding.

Even in it's best form bread pudding is the nastiest conglomeration of leftovers ever conceived. I guess the Army never heard of a compost pile.

fancyfeet
01-04-2009, 03:56
Something I've never had the desire or ahem...balls to try.

:confused:

superman
01-04-2009, 09:09
My parents used to send me a fruitcake every year from some company. Every year I'd call 'em up and say thanks. They'd ask if I liked it, and I'd say no and ask them not to send it any more. They'd promise.

This happened for many years. Finally they got my name off the list and life improved.

After they passed on, we came across their fruit cake list and in their memory sent out one last round of fruit cakes. Have to admit that while I miss my parents, I don't miss those fruit cakes!

My sister made fruitcakes for Christmas presents every year. Not only were they inedible but they were indestructible. One year I hung one from a tree. The animals didn't want it and it survived snow, rain and wind until Aug. I finally took it down because my sister was coming for a visit.