PDA

View Full Version : MSR Pocket Rocket

mtbmatty
12-21-2008, 21:29
has anyone here used the msr pocket rocket stove? it seems like a simple & lightweight stove. from what i can tell the folks that have had msr stoves are happy with them. i was curious more about the fuel canisters on this model.

1) are you limited to only using msr prefilled canisters?
2) is the canister refillable?
3) how much does a full canister cost , i think there are 2 sizes possibly 10 & 20oz
4) what is the weight of a full fuel canisters?
5) is it possible for this style canister to leak?

thanks for any input

-matt

saimyoji
12-21-2008, 21:39
has anyone here used the msr pocket rocket stove? it seems like a simple & lightweight stove. from what i can tell the folks that have had msr stoves are happy with them. i was curious more about the fuel canisters on this model.

NO, but the manual will tell you to use MSR fuel.

NO.

3) how much does a full canister cost , i think there are 2 sizes possibly 10 & 20oz

coupla bucks

If you bang it real hard, or heat it too much.

thanks for any input

-matt

Its a good solid stove. Well worth your money.

wcgornto
12-21-2008, 21:44
Also you might want to take a look at the Snow Pwak Lite Max.

wcgornto
12-21-2008, 21:45
Snow Peak

Manwich
12-21-2008, 21:47
No, Any 80:20 mix of Isobutane and Propane in canisters that will fit on the Pocket Rockets threads will work.

No. This is pointless anyway, They're disposable.

4oz canister = $4
8oz canister = $5

An empty canister weights 4oz. So a "4oz canister" will weigh 8oz, and the 8oz canister will weigh 12oz filled

not really no. don't screw the pocketrocket onto (or off) the canister upsidedown (liquid butane will pop out in the milliseconds the valve is open, will freeze your hands a bit, will smell bad and make a nice little fireball if you're within a few feet of a fire.

mtbmatty
12-21-2008, 21:55
disposable as in recycleable?

i'm guessing there is not a deposit on the cans

Manwich
12-21-2008, 21:59
not that im aware of, definitely not here in jersey.

just went to look on them, they don't have any info on recycling or deposits on mine.

mtbmatty
12-21-2008, 22:04
Recyclable: Canisters can be recycled. Consult your local recycling center for regulations.

Panzer1
12-21-2008, 22:21
has anyone here used the msr pocket rocket stove?

There are many people here on this list that have used the pocket rocket and are happy with it including me.

Panzer

Manwich
12-21-2008, 22:46
I love my Pocket Rocket Stove.

Just be sure in Freezing temperatures to put the canister in your sleeping bag, or bring a Sodium-Acetate packet to heat it up in a jiffy.

Cabin Fever
12-21-2008, 23:06
I have a Primus stove that is almost identical to the Pocket Rocket a quite a bit cheaper. I have not found a reason yet to ditch for a Pocket Rocket or a Snow Peak. It also uses the MSR cannisters and fits perfectly inside my pot while in my pack. I also think Coleman has a similar option out now.

mudcap
12-21-2008, 23:27
I love my PR,great stove.

Blissful
12-21-2008, 23:33
Pocket rocket is a great stove. Except in wind. But we used it our entire hike. No problems with it at all. No maintenance required. Like it very much. Be sure to use a pot cozy to cut down on fuel consumption and cooking time.

The canisters are not that expensive. I found the Snowpeak canisters the best in performance in most weather conditions, including temps in the 20's. The MSR ones stink, IMO.

Panzer1
12-22-2008, 01:29
There's only one thing that I don't like about the pocket rocket, and its not really a big deal, but the red storage box that it comes in is a just little too small. I always have a hard time getting it in and out. If they made that box just a little bigger it would be better.

Panzer

Toolshed
12-22-2008, 01:32
Love my Pocket rocket after years of whisperlights and then Pepsi can stoves. It seems like the best of both worlds.

earlyriser26
12-22-2008, 09:36
Everyone has a favorite stove and the MSR PR is mine. The best? I think so, but I doubt you would get much push back that it is one of the best. I have never had it leak over 10 years of use, fuel is cheap and lasts a long time, and it is about as light weight as a stove can get unless you go ultra light.

Tinker
12-22-2008, 09:49
I had a Pocket Rocket and replaced it with a Vargo Jet-Ti stove. Spent a few more bucks, saved a few grams, lowered the center of gravity, got a better flame spread for cooking (instead of just boiling water), and got stronger pot supports (not that it matters unless you are using large pots - sometimes I use a 3l pot when hiking with friends when I appreciate a cannister stove over an alcohol one or fuel tabs).
The PR is a tad hotter, though (but the Vargo is more stingy with the fuel).
Both have problems with the wind.
The PR is a good, low cost stove.

Oh, yes - cannisters. They usually only leak if you don't screw them down all the way (actually, if you don't tighten them enough, most of the time your stove won't light).
Any cannister can leak if the Lindahl valve (the valve common to nearly all currently produced small cannisters except Coleman) does not reseat when you remove it from the stove. I once had a Primus cannister "go flat" on me after sitting in the attic over the winter. It was used once, briefly, and the valve did not reseat properly.

dradius
12-22-2008, 09:49
what makes you all like the pocket rocket more than say, a jet boil? I assume weight, but have noticed a lot more people seem to use the MSR than the jet boil and am just curious.

Tinker
12-22-2008, 10:00
Most people who own a JetBoil like it more than the Pocket Rocket. It depends on whether you mind being limited to using the JetBoil pots with their heat exchanger (or having to carry the extra weight of their adaptor to use "regular" pots and pans).
It, like the PocketRocket, produces a pinpoint flame - not the best for cooking but fine for boiling water. The heat exchanger does help spread the heat evenly over the bottom of the pot (really only helps with the larger pots and the fry pan) for better cooking, and you can really throttle the stove down for simmering. The heat exchanger also functions pretty well as a windscreen, too.

FritztheCat
12-22-2008, 10:05
Love my MSR Pocket Rocket! I got the titanium pot set up and it works like a champ.

yappy
12-22-2008, 10:20
me too. never any problems with it. I take it outta the red box and just keep it in toilet paper in my pot. Not used of course !.. Ok, I just grossed myself out.

yaduck9
12-22-2008, 10:25
more info on gas stoves;

http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_GasStoves.htm

Chenango
12-22-2008, 10:53
I like my Pocket Rocket except for when it is windy. I still do not have a good solution for that other than getting out the wind.

dradius
12-22-2008, 11:13
nice link yaduck9, thanks!

Blissful
12-22-2008, 15:47
There's only one thing that I don't like about the pocket rocker, and its not really a big deal, but the red storage box that it comes in is a just little too small. I always have a hard time getting it in and out. If they made that box just a little bigger it would be better.

Panzer

I just put it in my cookset to carry.

Blissful
12-22-2008, 15:49
I like my Pocket Rocket except for when it is windy. I still do not have a good solution for that other than getting out the wind.

That's about all you can do...

Some talked about a windscreen solution (on another thread) but Winton at Mountain Crossings was not too keen about it when we showed him ours. He said he didn't want to be our stove with it. So no windscreen.

Tinker
12-22-2008, 15:50
The guy I sold mine to liked the case. I never used it myself. The stove is safe inside your cookset as mentioned above.

Jack Tarlin
12-22-2008, 15:52
I've owned and used a Pocket Rocket. It's a good stove.

However, these days I prefer a similar stove, the Snow Peak Giga:

*It weighs the same
*It costs the same
*It's just as efficient
*It can hold a bigger cookpot as it has larger, sturdier "arms."
*Packed, it takes up about 50% less space

Tinker
12-22-2008, 15:52
If you have a closed cell foam pad you can stand it up (they tend to curl a bit) around your stove to block the wind. Use a stone or stones between the pad and cannister to keep it away from the flame. A Z-rest might work even better.

Panzer1
12-22-2008, 21:34
what makes you all like the pocket rocket more than say, a jet boil? I assume weight, but have noticed a lot more people seem to use the MSR than the jet boil and am just curious.

- I think that the pocket rocket was on the market before the jet boil and developed a following.
- People who bought the pocket rocket don't want to buy a jet boil because the 2 stoves are too similar. It would be too redundant.
- Even though the jet boil may be an improved version of the pocket rocket, the pocket rocket appeals the minimalist crowd.

Panzer

BradMT
12-23-2008, 14:38
I have the lil Snowpeak Giga and prefer it to the Pocket Rocket for the reasons articulated by Jack Tarlin. Were I doing a thru-hike, I'd use it and the little Montbell Ti pos that holds it and a fuel cannister. I also keep that little setup in my elk hunting daypack. I plan on getting the Snowpeak wind screen for it as I've been told it really works.

For summer BP trips of no more than a few days I like the Jetboil... especially here in windy Montana! It's bulkier and heavier than the Giga/Ti pot combo, but I prefer it.

For really cold or longer BP trips, I like the MSR Simmerlite.

kanga
12-23-2008, 14:51
really wanted to get one of these awhile back but i kept knocking the pots off when i sat down in the middle of the store and played with it. tried all the different pots they had, still knocked it over. went with the superfly and no regrets. i noticed it seemed to have something to do with the angle the supports/teeth were at.

BradMT
12-23-2008, 15:03
Kanga, totally agree with the MSR PR has too small a support area... that's the main reason I went with the SP Giga.

BTW, love your signature line! Thanks for the chuckle...

double d
12-23-2008, 18:30
Once I bought my Pocket Rocket, it solved all my problems with stoves. Its lightweight, affordable, resists wind fairly well and used it on my hikes to Glacier NP, Rocky Mt. NP and of course last year on the AT.

Weldman
01-02-2009, 02:44
I got my pocket rocket at REI used gear sale last year and I use it with a 1.3 Evernew Ti pot. As for a windscreen I use 7" round aluminum cake pan from the dollar store, stored in my cookpot with my 8oz fuel cannister.

Check out the new brunton extention unit for $20, works with most cannister stove.
You then have a MSR Wind pro Setup.

slow
01-06-2009, 18:32
To much wt...esbit.

Mags
01-06-2009, 18:43
To much wt...esbit.

Depends on what you are cooking/type of backpacking you are doing.

There is a reason why I have several different types of stoves. :)

Believe it or not, Coleman made a great little canister (http://www.treknologies.com/archives/2006/02/review_coleman_1.php) stove that put outs almost as much heat as the Jetboil (if not as efficient), weighs less than 3oz, works as well in the wind as a Jetboil and it is only ~$35. Uses the same canisters as the Jetboil,SnoPeak, MSR, etc. Has received great reviews on such sites as Backpacking Lite. (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/coleman_outlander_f1_ultralight_canister_stove_rev iew.html)Good option if you are considering a canister stove. Alas, Coleman does not seem to make it anymore. Quite a few places still carry it, though.

KG4FAM
01-06-2009, 18:49
To much wt...esbit.good if you are freezer bagging it, not so good if you doing actual cooking.

general
01-07-2009, 19:41
really wanted to get one of these awhile back but i kept knocking the pots off when i sat down in the middle of the store and played with it. tried all the different pots they had, still knocked it over. went with the superfly and no regrets. i noticed it seemed to have something to do with the angle the supports/teeth were at.

continuously knocked pots off of the pocket rocket, especially when drinkin'. superfly is much better and requires less babysitting. plus you can use whatever gas bottle you want.

skinewmexico
01-07-2009, 20:09
I saw a link on here in November, and picked up a Coleman F1 for $18. Pretty happy with it. Got a Primus Eta with the pot for $45 off SAC later. Heavy, but efficient.

Saint Alfonzo
01-07-2009, 20:37
MSR SUPERFLY, a fine piece of equip. I did grind the 4 legs,that contact the bottom of the cook pot, so the cook pot would set more stable on the stove.

daveait
07-03-2009, 17:52
How much fuel does the pocket rocket take to boil one pot of water (enough for a FD meal)

toegem
07-03-2009, 18:06
Satisfied Pocket Rocket user here.

toegem
07-03-2009, 18:22
How much fuel does the pocket rocket take to boil one pot of water (enough for a FD meal)

I kept track of fuel consumption on a 7 day canoe trip this is what I used. I can't tell you what I used per pot 3 cups fit in my kettle which was enough for a pro-pak and a hot beverage.

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 280pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=371 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 103pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 5010" width=137><COL style="WIDTH: 8pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 365" width=10><COL style="WIDTH: 35pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 1682" width=46><COL style="WIDTH: 8pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 402" width=11><COL style="WIDTH: 15pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 731" width=20><COL style="WIDTH: 103pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 5010" width=137><COL style="WIDTH: 8pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 365" width=10><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 111pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl28 height=17 width=147 colSpan=2>before 12.64oz. </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 58pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl28 width=77 colSpan=3>227g</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 111pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: black 0.5pt solid" class=xl26 width=147 colSpan=2>after empty 4.60</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl25 height=17>Tea kettle waters</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl25 colSpan=4 x:num>19</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl24>3 cups ea.</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8"></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl24 height=17>Bread Flat</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl24 colSpan=4>10 pieces </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8"></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8"></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl24 height=17 x:str="Steak ">Steak </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl24 colSpan=4>14 oz.</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8"></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8"></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl24 height=17>Pancakes</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl24 colSpan=4>6 ea. Small</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8"></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8"></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl24 height=17></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl24 colSpan=4 x:num></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl24></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8"></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl24 height=17>2 c soup w/dumplings</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl24 colSpan=4 x:num>1</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl24>Made in fry pan</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8"></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl24 height=17>Biscuits</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl24 colSpan=4>2 pieces</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8">fried on low ~ 10 mins</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Panzer1
07-03-2009, 19:01

I can't tell you in terms of minutes but I can tell you that you would be satisfied with how fast it boiled a pot of water.

Panzer

kanga
07-06-2009, 08:45
MSR SUPERFLY, a fine piece of equip. I did grind the 4 legs,that contact the bottom of the cook pot, so the cook pot would set more stable on the stove.

that's funny. i sat down in the middle of the floor and played with pots when i went looking for a new stove. wanted the pocket rocket for the size, but my round/curved bottom pots wouldn't stay on it. found out the pocket rocket likes flat bottoms/straight edges and the super fly likes curved edge pots. weirdness, but whatever.

Flinx
07-12-2009, 20:57
I love my PR,great stove.

DITTO! :sun

hal0ofwint3r
03-03-2010, 01:03
in response to the PR vs. jetboil, like everyone else says, people that have either hates the other. depends on how you look at it. PR is lighter, less bulky, compact while the jetboil takes up a lot of space and is a little heavier. one thing about the jetboil is it doesn't spark in cold temperatures. when it does, it's only after ten or so clicks. i always think of jetboil as the stove for the common novice hiker or enthusiast. it's just too much to fool with. if anyone is looking for the jetboil type stove route, skip it and get the reactor. i have both, and the jetboil doesn't even compare. the reactor boils with even more water rediculously fast and has no problems with the cold.

Class2010AT
03-13-2010, 01:21
I love my pocket rocket, with one complaint, when stored in my pot w/o the case it scratched the coating off of my alum pot. So now i put my fuel in the pot and stove in the case, problem solved. I still keep it in the case because in scared it will make a hole in something else.

envirodiver
03-13-2010, 01:30
Biggest problem with the pocket rocket is wind. There are some designs out there for windscreens.

Wags
03-13-2010, 01:31
i had the chance to use one this summer and it worked flawlessly. if i was going to use a canister stove this would be my top choice

double d
03-13-2010, 02:15
Pocket Rocket, problem solved, its worked the best for me.

mkmangold
03-13-2010, 02:56
more info on gas stoves;

http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_GasStoves.htm

Nice. Thanks.

mkmangold
03-13-2010, 02:58
Biggest problem with the pocket rocket is wind. There are some designs out there for windscreens.

Can't windscreens be built with materials you find close at hand like stones, branches, and dirt? I've never had to bring along a windscreen but then again I only hiked the AT the full width one time.

Panzer1
03-13-2010, 03:40
What you're cooking for dinner is more important that what you're cooking dinner with. :)

Panzer

envirodiver
03-13-2010, 05:20
Can't windscreens be built with materials you find close at hand like stones, branches, and dirt? I've never had to bring along a windscreen but then again I only hiked the AT the full width one time.

Thing you have to keep in mind with canister stoves is that you don't want to build the heat up too much on the caister.

You can block wind to a certain extent as you say. But, a windscreen that blocks the burner, but not the canister seems to work best.

nitewalker
03-13-2010, 07:40
the wind will mess with almost any stove so dont dis the rocket. as for the jetboil vs the pocket rocket i have both of them. bought the jboil 1st but i have only used it a half dozen times. now the pocket rocket has been my go to stove up until i bought a mtn dew super stove from zelph. i still love the p rocket but i am really liking the super stove....just sayin

mags said it best, u need a different stove for different cooking styles. i will sometimes bring the p rocket and the dew stove on the same trip. hell they weigh next to nothing.....

envirodiver
03-13-2010, 12:21
the wind will mess with almost any stove so dont dis the rocket. as for the jetboil vs the pocket rocket i have both of them. bought the jboil 1st but i have only used it a half dozen times. now the pocket rocket has been my go to stove up until i bought a mtn dew super stove from zelph. i still love the p rocket but i am really liking the super stove....just sayin

mags said it best, u need a different stove for different cooking styles. i will sometimes bring the p rocket and the dew stove on the same trip. hell they weigh next to nothing.....

Not dissing the pocket rocket. I have one and like it, just saying that you need to develop a wind screen for it.

Cookerhiker
03-13-2010, 13:02
I like my Coleman Ultralight (http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=9741AA00C&categoryid=2005&brand=) which as far as I can tell is virtually identical to the Pocket Rocket.

elray
03-13-2010, 13:04
Been using the Snow Peak Giga Titanium since its introduction (several years?) and it's as tight as the day it was first used. Didn't like the factory windscreen and simply robbed the one from my old Whisperlight, problem solved. I've used white gas, Esbit, Heat and alcohol and can't imagine BP'ing without it. Hiking the AT is hard work and the last thing I want to do at the end of the day is to fiddle with a cantankerous stove. I'm sure the Pocket Rocket works equally well.

IronGutsTommy
08-27-2010, 18:42
a little off subject, but in cold winter climates with cold and wind is the pocket rocket as good bet or would one be better splurging for a msr reactor. was thinking of the reactor but have read on various sites that the necessary fuel cannisters can be hard to find. anyone thru hiked with a reactor?

Country Roads
08-30-2010, 20:32
I like my Pocket Rocket. I don't use it a lot because of the weight (yes it is light but my alky stove set up is much lighter). I rarely use the MSR cannisters - too expensive and the only ones I have had leak off the fuel.
I usually use the Jetboil cannisters- a bit cheaper (at least in my neck of the woods), I can find the smaller canisters easier in Jetboil, and they work well. I have also used Primus, Peak one and Coleman canisters; they all work.

Jetboil stove setups are nice, but way expensive. I can buy a lot of fuel for my PR stove for the cost of a jetboil set up.

IronGutsTommy
08-30-2010, 23:21
so, although msr cannisters are recommended for the reactor, coleman and other brand cannisters are compatible with it?

sizemj
05-04-2011, 14:51
I have used a Coleman canister from Wal-mart with mine. Works just fine