PDA

View Full Version : Predator for hemlock adelgids

bobgessner57
04-12-2004, 20:35
If you have seen the devastation that the hemlock adelgid has caused in the Shenandoahs you can appreciate the efforts described in an article in the April 8, 2004 Asheville Citizen-Times. It can be found at http://cgi.citizen-times.com/cgi-bin/story/52875.html.

The article describes a predatory insect that is being bred in large quantities at Clemson for release in infested areas. It will only work on the hemlock adelgid, not the balsam adelgid which is tearing up the trees on the crest of the Smokies, etc.

I hope it works as planned and that similar remedies can be found for the balsam adelgid, gypsy moth and other non native insects that are devastating the forests.

Brushy Sage
04-12-2004, 21:43
I couldn't pull up the Citizen-Times story you referenced. There was a notice from Waynesville (NC) in the Apr 9 Citizen-Times that the National Park Service and U.S. Forest Service released thousands of the beetles on Apr 7 in Cades Cove and the Whitewater River in Highlands. Birds and the wind are expected to spread the little creatures around for the next several years.

bobgessner57
04-12-2004, 22:37
Brushy Sage- I just tried the address posted and got a web site not responding message- hit the recycle icon once and it came up. Not sure what the problem is.

I looked for the article you talked about when I was reading the papers this past weekend while visiting in the area and must have overlooked it, just found the one I posted on. I really hope these little bugs turn out to be as beneficial as they are reported to be. If so, bring 'em on! It sure is depressing to show my kids the blighted areas of the trail that I remember as majestic cathedrals from my younger days.

MedicineMan
04-12-2004, 22:49
My home is surrounded by hemlock and rhodo's...I cant imagine the change if the adelgid is left unchecked.

Doctari
04-12-2004, 23:13
My home is surrounded by hemlock and rhodo's...I cant imagine the change if the adelgid is left unchecked.

I can, My first visit to the smokies (that I remember) was summer 1958, there were still a few American Chestnuts (dead) still standing, it was awful to see even to a 4 year old. I then got to see the hemlocks (mostly) fill in the empty areas. Now those same areas are once again dead or nearly so cause of the balsum wolly algid. Trust me, you don't want to see that kind of change. I hope these preditors work!! Maybe they will come up with something for the rest of the nasties.

On a happier note, I did get to see a actual American chestnut 3 years ago, so there is still hope. Some of the old root stock is still putting up shoots, they thrive until old enough for the bark to crack, allowing the nasty that kill it (a fungus I seem to remember) a foot hold. But there is hope that one or more of the tres will someday develop an immunity to it, saving the species.

Doctari.

steve hiker
04-12-2004, 23:26
Efforts to produce a blight-resistant version of the American Chestnut are well underway. In a few years, blight resistant trees should be available for distribution.

http://ipm.ppws.vt.edu/griffin/accf.html

http://www.acf.org/

Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but if the hemlocks go the way of the chestnuts, perhaps the genetically modified chestnut (identical to the original but with blight resistance) can fill the void.

bobgessner57
04-12-2004, 23:41
On a happier note, I did get to see a actual American chestnut 3 years ago, so there is still hope. Some of the old root stock is still putting up shoots, they thrive until old enough for the bark to crack, allowing the nasty that kill it (a fungus I seem to remember) a foot hold. But there is hope that one or more of the tres will someday develop an immunity to it, saving the species.

Doctari.

As of 2 years ago there were some chestnut saplings not far off the AT in the Smokies on the Goshen Prong trail south of Clingmans Dome. I don't exactly remember how far down but -if memory serves me right-within a half mile or so. Maybe they will make it.

Ramble~On
04-14-2004, 00:33
I was lucky enough to study Dendrology at Western Carolina Univ.
There are plenty of Chestnut saplings covering the mountains of WNC.
I have found several "large" still growing and seemingly uneffected....but it is only a matter of time for them.
For more on the Chestnut and what is being done to introduce "blight resistant" trees search the web for the AMERICAN CHESTNUT SOCIETY.
I won't say where but we have planted over 50 so far...and so far so good.
It's been several years.
The insect to save the Hemlocks has been known and has been being spread in
North Carolina for some time...years :clap .
Virginia and Pennsylvania Hemlocks have barred the brunt.....hopefully, this little bug will do its' stuff not only NC but all over the Eastern U.S.
The Chestnut blight was introduced in 1905 and took no time to wipe the Chestnuts from the East Coast.......
I'd love to live long enough to hike amongst some 40-50 yr old Chestnuts.

MedicineMan
04-14-2004, 00:53
Where can I buy the insect that is protecting the hemlocks....I would love to let them loose around my house...seriously, our micro environment (which happens to be less than 2.5 miles from the AT) is all about hemlock and rhododendron. Could I order them without being tagged a buglover?

Doctari
04-14-2004, 09:13
As of 2 years ago there were some chestnut saplings not far off the AT in the Smokies on the Goshen Prong trail south of Clingmans Dome. I don't exactly remember how far down but -if memory serves me right-within a half mile or so. Maybe they will make it.

YES! That was where I saw them, hiked the AT from Clingmans dome to Goshen prong trail to Little river trail to Elkmont campground with my oldest son. GREAT hike BTW.

Saluki Dave
04-14-2004, 20:04
Having seen and mourned the beautiful hemlocks dead and dying along the trail, I still can't help but worry about the laws of unintended consequences. Make no mistake, I'm not averse to technology (being an engineer), but I have seen more than a few carefully considered plans blow up because of inadequate models or unforseen interactions. Hopefully the folks at Clemson have developed something effective against the adelgid and benign otherwise, but there's really no way to know. Sounds like the die has been cast. I'll hope for the best.

Ramble~On
04-15-2004, 06:23
Where can you get them and can you get them ?
I can't honestly answer that..I don't know.
A phone call to your local District Ranger Station might help or atleast point you towards the answer.
And my above says search the "American Chestnut Society"...if you search under this you will get some hits......but it is actually....American Chestnut Foundation.

steve hiker
04-15-2004, 09:45
And my above says search the "American Chestnut Society"...if you search under this you will get some hits......but it is actually....American Chestnut Foundation.
Steve hiker posted a link to the American Chestunt Foudation a few messages back.

Saluki Dave
04-30-2004, 20:45
...with these "reputation" things? I made a sincere, well reasoned comment (at least it seemed so to me) and some clown leaves a reputation comment "right, just let them die". No where in my statement does it say anything about "letting them die". It seems to me that if you have a different opinion you should at least make it known in the forum, and not hide behind an anonymous comment.

I have to wonder about allowing this sort of thing. My take: probably some constipated eco-nazi. Don't you have an SUV to vandalize or something??