PDA

View Full Version : Safety Advisory

rlharris
12-22-2008, 11:32
Because of the recent ice storm in northern New England, public officials are urging anyone going out into the woods to wear a hard hat. They also are advising people not to go into the woods alone.

There are many limbs broken off trees but hung up above the ground. A high wind can bring them crashing down. Also, the crowns of a lot of trees were weakened by the ice storm and it will not take much wind and/or heavy snow to break off additional bows.

Some of these can weigh over a hundred pounds.

If one of those should hit a person, that person could wind up with a might bad headache -- or worse. :eek:

Slo-go'en
12-22-2008, 11:42
Yep, thats why thier called "widow makers". Not sure a hard hat is going to help much if a 100 pound limb falls on your head though. The areas hit by the recent ice storm would be where you have to most careful.

jersey joe
12-22-2008, 11:52
They also are advising people not to go into the woods alone.
The buddy system is UNDERRATED.

sixhusbands
12-22-2008, 12:42
If the woods are that bad and you really do not need to be there...then seek another place to hike. Head to Kauii and tackle the Kalalau Trail. You will not be disappointed! My daughter and I did this a couple years ago and it is still one of my favorite hikes.

~Ronin~
12-22-2008, 18:43
Don't you have a better chance being injured/killed in a car accident on an icy road, than having an icy branch fall on you in the woods. Maybe public officials should advise people not to drive like idiots.

e-doc
12-22-2008, 19:18
Don't you have a better chance being injured/killed in a car accident on an icy road, than having an icy branch fall on you in the woods.

Sort of off topic but in convincing my wife to let me go out to Rainier (again) a few years ago, I told her I was more likely to be killed driving to the mountain than on the mountain. I found Wash state traffic data as well as climber numbers from the park. Using some assumptions (generous to try to swing the results toward me), I calculated one had a higher chance of dying on the mountain than driving to the mountain. But at least more people died in car accidents than on the mountain!:-?