PDA

View Full Version : DriDucks

Gator 65
12-22-2008, 13:45
I am considering the light weight Frogg Toggs (called Dry Ducks)for a rain suit. If anyone has used them in the past would you please give me some feedback on the quality and effectiveness. The pants and top combined only weigh 8 oz.

fiddlehead
12-22-2008, 14:09
I think size large is a bit heavier than that.
But i love my froggies. They keep me dry , are a good wind breaker and breathable.

What's not to like? i guess some will say they are not durable enough but usually last a thru-hike for me.
I've worn out the pants quicker already but that was from butt-sliding down mountains out west.
you won't be doing a whole lot of that on the AT.

Kerosene
12-22-2008, 14:18
Note that DriDucks (http://www.froggtoggs.com/catalog/2008catalog/page24.asp) are not what most people are referring to when they talk about Frogg Toggs (I believe they acquired DriDucks at some point). DriDucks are lighter and more breathable that classic Frogg Toggs, but not as durable. DriDucks are also cut very large, so consider going a size down. I'd consider DriDucks for section hikes but probably not for a thru. Then again, they're cheap enough at $19.95 to replace every so often.

Bucky Katt
12-22-2008, 14:44
i dont think DriDucks breathe very well. I wore mine once in some cold rainy drizzly stuff and it was noticeably warmer, but then I got to warm and started to sweat....I heard other people had issues with them not being quite breathable enough. I do love them though b/c they're lightweight and they'll keep you dry from rain.... so long as you're not sweating....

sheepdog
12-22-2008, 14:57
My dry ducks died the first day of my section hike. The whole section were the sleeve met the body ripped. Frog toggs weigh more but are more durable.

Arizona
12-22-2008, 20:13
I love my Driducks. They are extremely light, totaly waterproof, and breathable. But, they are thin and the material can rip easily if you are snagged by a sticker bush. If you are carefull, they could last your whole thru hike. But if you do get a rip, either patch it with duct tape, or buy another set. After all, they are just $12.00 a set. As others have said, they run very large. Buy the next size smaller and they will still be a little big on you.

1azarus
12-22-2008, 23:23
My dry ducks died the first day of my section hike. The whole section were the sleeve met the body ripped. Frog toggs weigh more but are more durable.

sheepdog is absolutely right... i used a set of frogg toggs for quite a while, and, but for some strange shedding of fiber, they held up reasonably well. i replaced them with dry ducks since they are a bit lighter... they tore easily. now i use a new blue tye die look frogg togg top with the lighter beige dry ducks -- very fashionable! you do have to view the dry ducks as disposable.

peter_pan
12-23-2008, 20:33
I've used dri Ducks for three years.... on asn established trail ike the AT they are great.... Size XL jacket is under 5 oz.... And they breath great.... Even after putting the jacket on over a soaked t shirt I hiked the t shirt dry in 40 minute... I mean bone dry too....Although fragile they are readily field repaired with a piece of duc tape.

Pants are more susptable to wear/ damage.

Pan

Gator 65
12-24-2008, 12:31
Thanks for the feedback. I do like the price and the weight. Thank God for duct tape!

Egads
12-24-2008, 17:22
My driducks are two years old. The top is in great shape, but the stitching is coming out of the pants

Grinder
12-25-2008, 18:16
I have a air of driducks. Two years now.

They seem kind of flimsey, so I have always been careful with them.So far they have held up fine.

I had trouble with the zipper when new,until I tightened it up with a pair of pliers. Since then no problem.

Grinder

nightshaded
12-29-2008, 23:19
personally, unless you are a very careful hiker, I wouldn't recommend the dri ducks for a thru-hike. for one thing, they do rip fairly easily...duct tape only goes so far. also, they got very damp inside whenever it rained hard. I abandoned mine at standing bear, just outside of the smokies, and hiked the rest of the way with a trash bag poncho.