PDA

View Full Version : sole custom footbeds

Penn-J
12-22-2008, 14:33
I have posterior tibial tendon issues and had custom fitted orthopedics made for my feet. (which cost a fortune!!) They work great for everyday walking. I even run in them. When I put them in my Merrell boots and went hiking, I found out when going up hill, the back sides of the orthopedics were digging BIG TIME into the back of my ankles!! There is just no way I can use these things on my up comming thru-hike. Not wanting to spend another fortune on new orthopedics , I did some research and discovered Sole custom footbeds. (endorsed by Ed Viesturs) I was wondering if anyone used these things on a thru or any other long backpacking trip, and how well they held up. The instructions say, under normal conditions, they should last at least one year. But hiking over 2000 miles isn't considered normal. (although I think it is!!) I'm thinking of buying another pair to use when I wear the first ones out.
Any information on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
HAPPY TRAILS!!
Jeff

Mother's Finest
12-22-2008, 14:38
you say on the uphill the orthotic is digging into the back of your heel??

there is a problem with your orthotic. you should go back to your practicioner that made them for you.

an orthotic should have a deep heel cup, uphill or down it should never dig into you.

any questions feel free to pm me.

the orthotics you spoke about endorsed by Ed Viesturs are no better or worse than any other over the counter product on the market. If they feel good to you, give them a shot.

peace
mf

Blissful
12-22-2008, 15:35
I have that same issue from a bad ankle sprain four years ago - tried custom orthotics but they knocked me so out of whack (with hip pain and arch pain) had to abandon them. I made out great with Spenco hiker insoles for some reason. And switching to trail runners. Hope you are not going barefoot at all, even around the house. Make sure you wear crocs. And do plenty of calf stretches and ice the area if it flairs up.

lonehiker
12-22-2008, 16:15
I used them this past summer for my 1,700 (appx) miles. I made it from Springer to Vernon, NJ before I put in a new pair. I only threw the used ones away because of the odor. I am confident that the old pair would have made it as far as I made it (and probably to Katahdin). The only wear that I noticed on them was some wearing on the fabric portion (the top) of the insert. The hard plastic itself I could discern no noticeable breakdown of its support.

humunuku
12-22-2008, 18:26
I used them this past summer for my 1,700 (appx) miles. I made it from Springer to Vernon, NJ before I put in a new pair. I only threw the used ones away because of the odor. I am confident that the old pair would have made it as far as I made it (and probably to Katahdin). The only wear that I noticed on them was some wearing on the fabric portion (the top) of the insert. The hard plastic itself I could discern no noticeable breakdown of its support.

I had the exact same experience, but I used them for short backpacking trips (up to a week long) for the last two years. I also only have minor wear in the fabric and I too put in a new pair when they started to stink bad.

I think they're great

Dogwood
12-22-2008, 19:08
I have only used the older black colored model and the newer blue ones. I've been told by foot experts, that know a lot more about them than me, that the new blue ones R for hiking and the new orange/yellow ones R made for runners. Personally, I really don't know the difference. I will say that the blue orthotics do an excellent job of supporting my high volume high arch feet!!! They are the most durable hiking orthotics I've ever owned!!!