PDA

View Full Version : Heat molding insoles

Reid
12-22-2008, 23:23
Has anyone ever heard of or tried to use these type of insoles? I have a pair of soloman's that have a terrible insole in them. I don't understand what the company was thinking when they put them in there. I picked the pair up at a shoe store locally and have never seen them online and can't find any refrences to them. Maybe they were a generic type of shoe that they made, I dont know, but the insoles are crazy uncomfortable. They are basically worthless right now. Is there any type of insole's I should look at that is sure to bring these shoes to life? I saw the heat moldable insoles and thought I'd try them but I'm wary to spend the $30 without doing my research. Thanks for any help guys and gals. Merry Christmas!

Compass
12-22-2008, 23:32
I use the Sof SoleŽ Adapt Insoles but skip the Heat pat and just wear them in(5 miles). Good arch support and shoul hold up for 600 miles.

Campmore had them for $19.95 but seems to have discontinued them. A quick search found them for $24 ish.

A lot of hikers like Superfeet products.

Blissful
12-22-2008, 23:47
I replaced my Salamon insoles with Spenco hiker insoles which are softer.
Superfeet is too hard for me.

Cuffs
12-23-2008, 00:15
I have 1 pair of Montrail heat molded inserts and love love love them! I move them from shoe to shoe daily!

generoll
12-23-2008, 08:32
I bought the custom Superfeet and love them. Good thing, since they cost about $90. With Superfeet you get a complete system if the fitter knows his job. My feet had basically broken down after an aborted section hike and I could only walk with pain. I lucked out and had the developer fit me at Trail Days and what I got was an underpad, a tongue depressor, and the insole. The explanation was that I have a thin foot and there was too much volume in my boot. By using the underpad and tongue depressor they removed the extra volume and then stabilized my foot with the insole. It may all be hype, but my feet have never hurt since. Wet and cold yes. Achy everywhere else, but my feet seem to be on a path to outlive the rest of me.

OldStormcrow
12-23-2008, 17:34
Usually the regular backpacking (green) Superfeet insoles are enough to help out the boots that are flatter than Kansas in the insole, but the molded ones can make a huge difference for folks with real foot problems. The Mast General Store in downtown Greenville has a couple of guys who are certified in molding these things and they are set up to do it in the store. You can get the regular green ones at Sunrift Adventures in Travelers Rest. They saved my feet from my relatively flat and wide Vasque Clarions.

Footslogger
12-24-2008, 12:43
Has anyone ever heard of or tried to use these type of insoles? I have a pair of soloman's that have a terrible insole in them. I don't understand what the company was thinking when they put them in there. I picked the pair up at a shoe store locally and have never seen them online and can't find any refrences to them. Maybe they were a generic type of shoe that they made, I dont know, but the insoles are crazy uncomfortable. They are basically worthless right now. Is there any type of insole's I should look at that is sure to bring these shoes to life? I saw the heat moldable insoles and thought I'd try them but I'm wary to spend the $30 without doing my research. Thanks for any help guys and gals. Merry Christmas!
=============================

I went to "Superfeet University" several years ago when I worked for an outfitter and was trained to make the "custom" Superfeet, which are heat molded.

They aren't indicated in most cases but for certain people they can adjust for stance and variations from left to right foot and really make a big difference in the fit of your footwear and stability of your foot during stride.

'Slogger

Reid
12-24-2008, 14:32
OldstormCrow, I believe I'll hit up sunrift friday then. I wen't from contemplating 30 bucks for a pair up to 90 bucks. Hope it's worth it, I could just about buy a new pair of shoes for that but I love the uppers on these solomans.