PDA

View Full Version : Socks, Socks, Wonderful Socks!!!

sleeman13
12-23-2008, 11:34
I'm planning on a thru-hike this year and and was wondering how many pairs of socks I can expect to go through.

garlic08
12-23-2008, 17:21
I wore out about six or seven pairs of Smartwools. Got them on sale about this time of year. Good job, planning ahead.

Marta
12-23-2008, 17:46
It depends on a lot of things--what sort of socks you get; whether you keep your toenails clipped; how much dirt you let get in your shoes (dirt is abrasive); etc.

I like thin socks, and I also went through six or eight pairs of them. Ultramax liner socks were the most durable and dried the fastest for me in warm and cool weather. In cold weather, I started wearing fleece socks.

Mags
12-23-2008, 17:56
http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/dreeves/Fox-In-Socks.txt

:)

(The thread title seemed Dr. Suess-like to me. That's a good thing! )

Rambler
12-25-2008, 18:02
Sierra Trading Post now has nice discounts on hiking socks

For example: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Product.aspx?baseno=11168&cdf=AffinitySale

buckwheat
12-25-2008, 18:23
No matter how many pair you'll eventually go through on a thru-hike of the AT, you shouldn't plan on carrying more than 2 pair in your pack with you to start the hike (in my view.) One pair on your feet, one for camp, and one for emergencies (your "sacred" pair that never, ever, ever get wet.)

Socks are easily had in towns along the trail and at every outfitter, as I'm sure those who have completed thru-hikes can attest (I have not.)

trailfoot
12-25-2008, 19:04
I had a lot of foot problems on the trail and never wore out a pair of VT darn tough socks. I have over 1,000 miles on a pair and they are still in my drawer today. They don't stink and have no holes in them. I carried 2 pair of socks at all times and found that to be adequate for me.

Hope that helps.

hikernewbie
12-26-2008, 10:10
As you can see by my title, I am new at this. Why do some hikers swear by wool socks while others wear nothing but synthetics? Where can I find the pros and cons of socks? Thanks!

Marta
12-26-2008, 10:15
Welcome to Whiteblaze!

Some folks like thick socks. Some like thin socks.

Wool has a big comfort factor in its favor.

Synthetics have durability on their side.

I like quick-drying socks in warm weather, so I normally wear thin synthetics then.

In winter, I want to keep my feet warmer, so I sometimes wear wool.

You pretty much need to make the thin/thick choice before you choose footwear, because the thickness of your socks will affect the fit of your shoes or boots.