PDA

View Full Version : Good ice age trail sections?

puddingboy
12-23-2008, 19:12
I am planning a hike on the ice age trail, thinking maybe chequemegon national forest?

mkmangold
12-24-2008, 01:59
I'm all in favor of both Kettle Moraine Units. From Cedar Rapids, Eagle, Wisconsin (heart of the southern KM) is less than 4 hours. Hike north or south from there. There are shelters along the way which require booking. If you decide to go, let me know and we can help arrange provisions, etc.

mkmangold
12-24-2008, 02:02
Oh, and puddingboy: if you are interested in winter camping, let me know. Me and my boys would be more than happy to join you and your dad in the Kettle Moraine.

gsingjane
12-24-2008, 09:12
We hiked the Northern Unit of the K.M. a couple summers ago and liked it. It's very easy hiking and extraordinarily interesting. It doesn't take very long to hike, it though, you can move through the whole unit in 2.5 days or even less. Don't miss the IAT Educational Center, it's incredible and you learn so much! We also enjoyed stopping at the Wade House, although we didn't have time to go on any of the tours.

Jane in CT

p.s. You can also hike through the newly-acquired section that's down by Holy Hill, I hear that's beautiful.

puddingboy
12-24-2008, 12:31
Thanks for all of the information, I think I might plan a trip to the kettle morraine state forest. But I was thinking more of a spring hike.

Jan LiteShoe
12-24-2008, 12:42
Glad to see folks still discussing this trail.
I didn't get north this year (got married instead), but I will check it out when I head north this summer.
Keep up the chatter!
;-)

IceAge
02-05-2009, 16:49
I might have to hit the trail this weekend, supposed to be (relatively) warm. Maybe try out the S. Kettle Moraine and be a shelter dweller for a couple of days.

mkmangold
02-05-2009, 18:59
I might have to hit the trail this weekend, supposed to be (relatively) warm. Maybe try out the S. Kettle Moraine and be a shelter dweller for a couple of days.

Like any company Saturday night? I'd be coming with my oldest son, Mickey (16) and of course, the incorrigible, Ben. I'll bring you that book on how to cook bear meat if you'd like.

mkmangold
02-05-2009, 19:01
Glad to see folks still discussing this trail.
I didn't get north this year (got married instead), but I will check it out when I head north this summer.
Keep up the chatter!
;-)

Let me and Ice Age know via Private Message when you get this way. I, for one, would be happy to meet up with you and the new hubby.

IceAge
02-06-2009, 16:23
Hey Mike,

Hiking this weekend got the kibosh based on some unforeseen home repairs, which sucks but that is life.

I'll let ya know next time I'm heading out, hopefully it won't be too much longer, gotta try out that new Thermarest!

If you do hit the S. Kettle Moraine before I do, please keep a little notebook of winter water sources there, if you would be so kind!

Cheers,
Doug

V.I.P.
02-10-2009, 18:45
Enjoy the Kettle Moraine, but don't give up on the Chequemagon! Taylor county has nearly 70 miles of contiguous IAT. Mondeaux Flowage has forest campgrounds and dispersed camping options. Timm's Hill (WI high point) is nearby. Wood Lake county park is another great location--a nice loop encircles the development-free lake. Check out the atlas and companion guide available at www.iceagetrail.org (http://www.iceagetrail.org) for details. Need a shuttle? The local volunteers are more than happy to help.

puddingboy
02-10-2009, 23:05
V.I.P. I was thinking about doing the chequemegon national forest 42 miles but extending it with a side loop to make it to 48 miles on the ice age interpretive loop. And then stopping at Timms Hill. Do you have any information on the area. This would be sometime during the summer. Oh and I already have the ice age atlas.